Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Old Shadowfax - yep where I live but originally from Stockton ( born in Durham )
  • Options

Is anyone here doing the Town Moor memorial on Sunday (Snoopy is, I think) ?

It's just that I entered online on 31st October, but haven't received a number through the post yet.  I've emailed them about it but heard nothing back either.

• Options

Shielsy, not doing it myself this year but the club's website says numbers and chips are to be collected on the day. Didn't realise the race was chipped now. I've entered on the day before but I see the race is now full.

• Options

Graham - thanks so much for the info ... I can now stop panicking (though I do prefer to have my number before the day of the race).

• Options
    Ive enterd shielsey but not sure if im doing it yet, will decide after a run tomorrow
  • Options

Hi all

Missed quite a lot it seems will have to read back later as been doing overtime in preperation for Xmas and new running trainers in December. S'funny whenever anyone asks me what I want for Xmas and i say a pair of trainers they all say no you must want something other than that. I do try and explain the cost but they seem to have switched off thinking about what size sock I wear?!!! prefer buying them myself anyway.

Shielsy - yes i am doing the Town Moor 10k and will be about 3 plus minutes behind you based on your previous to answer your earlier question. I haven't run a 10K since Sunderland 2? years ago when I twisted my ankle at the start (doh!!!)

Graham's understanding is the same as mine turn up in plenty of time to collect numbers before hand at the cafe opposite the Imperial War Museum and pond. I think from what i have read elsewhere they have a minute silence at 9am and then very shortly after you are off and running. Hopefully will be less windier than tonight

• Options

Hello all image

I want to do the GNR next year - is it a matter of first come first serve with applying for a place or is it a ballot? I am set up for reminder service but does anyone know when (ish) it is likely to open? Sorry if these questions have been answred before there's so many pages on here.

• Options

Cassie - the GNR entry is a ballot. I'm not sure quite when it opens but probably January I think.  If you've signed up for the reminder service then you won't miss it.  You usually hear in February whether you've got a place.  There is often a ballot in one of the national newspapers before the main ballot.  Keep following this thread and you'll get all the info you need.

• Options

The ballot opens 5th January

• Options

That's brilliant thanks a lot Fiona & Bearsted! image

• Options

Got my email for the withdrawal this year, just got to wait to get paid to enter. It feels strange this year as I have always had to go through the ballot and this year I've got a guaranteed entry. It feels like cheating. image

I've got to get some serious running in now and lose some weight, I've got a place on another gameshow and I don't want to look too huge on TV.

• Options

Snoopy - see you there, I'll look out for the bloke dressed as a Pacer chew  image. I doubt very much I'll be ahead of you, you seem to be doing canny with your running lately too.

Like you I haven't done a 'proper' 10k in a good while so looking forward to it, as long as the wind holds off.  Hopefully all the wind we've had (and are continuing to suffer) lately will mean that it might be calmer on Sunday *looks around for some straws to clutch*  image

Just out the door now for 6 miles or so - I'm not looking forward to it, but I was at Start Fitness today and treated myself to a new long sleeved base layer so that's the only thing that's motivating me!

• Options
    Lfc - what show are you on now ??
  • Options

Run done and dusted - my usual 6.5 miles.  Very enjoyable, but my right shin was starting to hurt a bit, so I'll lay off the running now until Sunday.

• Options

Morning all

Mr SJ - It's called Tipping Point. It goes out on ITV1 when the Chase finishes.

Shielsy - How's the shin this morning?

I did the longest distance for me in a while last night, 4.35 miles. It's great to actually start to feel some progress at long last and my knee, even though I got a few twinges through it, felt strong.

• Options
    Well done shielsey, im off out at lunchtime when i finish work for a 5 miler.

Lfc - dont think ive seen that one, let us know when you're on and will watch it
  • Options

Depends how bad I do. image

• Options

Morning all

Shiesly - well done on getting out for that 6 miler.

LFC - good to hear that the knee is improving

Mr SJ - I wish I could get out and run at lunchtime.

I hope the 10K is not too windy - I know how unpleasant it can be. At least you'll not have to go round too many times if it is windy. Look on the bright side. image

• Options

LFC - definitely tell us when you're going to be on the telly!  And glad to hear your running is beginning to feel stronger.  My shin feels fine today, but I've not done anything more strenuous than drag myself out of bed, make some (very late) breakfast and watched a recording of Strictly (I love being on holiday!)

mr sj - enoy your 5 miler.

Fixing some curtain poles in the bedrooms today (I've only been in the house 9 months, I thought it was about time we got something a little more sturdy than voiles image).  I'm a bit nervous about mucking it up though, so will go out into the garden in a bit and try and find a spare house brick to practice on.

Still windy up here in Tyneside!

• Options

I've seen Tipping Point. It looks to be quite hard to win anything. It's like a giant one of those machines at amusement parks that you put your 2p in and it drops down and you pray some will drop off the end, but they need one specific 'coin' to drop off, and it pretty much never does. Contestants answer questions to earn 'coins' (I think they refer to them as tokens though) to drop into the machine. On the plus side, the questions seem mostly quite easy. 

• Options

Don't over do it Shielsy image.  Good luck with the curtain poles- although I'm not sure where the brick fits it.  Look after your shin- especially if its sore on the inside lower edge of the bone cos that might be a medial tibial stress brewing up.  Ice, soleus stretches etc are the order of the day.

• Options

Thanks OS - the brick was to practice drilling holes into to make sure the drill bit and wall plug were the correct size for the screws.

I hate DIY but the satisfaction afterwards almost make it worth it.

• Options
    Todays 5 miler turned into a 7 miler and thinking of doing parkrun tomorrow but decided against town moor 10k on sunday as dont fancy slogging away at 10k when i have no chance of hitting a pb, so out for a nice sunday morning plod instead !
  • Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)

Thanks OS - the brick was to practice drilling holes into to make sure the drill bit and wall plug were the correct size for the screws.

The alternative is to start with a drill bit that is smaller than you think you'll need and try the plug in it.

• Options

Good morning everypeople.

Finally got my 2012/13 season, belatedly underway on the moor this morning. It's 10 days since I last ran, due to a mystery knee problem, which happily seems to have cleared up now. It has been most frustrating not going out, but I'm quite proud of myself for 'doing the right thing' for a week, and today, that patience was rewarded. Keeping things very sensible, and just aiming to get round steadily and enjoy the sunshine, I still managed to finish in 21:35 image woohooo. Feels good to be back. A gentle four miler tomorrow, methinks.

Will read back properly soon. I hope everyone is fit and well, and good luck to any racers thos weekend.

• Options

Morning

XL - well done on showing some restraint over the last 10 days and still great time yesterday (envious) it looked lovely outside from my work window almost regretted doing the overtime but the need for new running shoes is a must.

Mr SJ - Shame i wont get to see you but enjoy your sunday plod

Just getting ready to pop over to the Moor for the 10k Memorial at 11....must watch out for the Honey Badgers over there in case they attack?!

• Options
    Good luck to snoopy and shielsey today at the town moor 10k, looks a nice day for it and good luck to any other runners or racers.

Went out bright and early and did a 10 miler along the coast, loads of runners about and freezing cold!!
  • Options

Cheers, Snoopy ; enjoy the Memorial run. It's gorgeous out there again.

A lovely 5 miles tryimg to keep pace with a flying penguin this morning. Pain free again, and so far no reaction from the knee. All is good on the running front.

Happy holiday to Fiona and Billy, jetting off to the sun for a week, this morning.

• Options

Morning, mr sj. I bet it was beautiful at the coast. Well done on the 10 miles.

• Options

Good to be out running again after a week of battling a mystery virus!  Gorgeous morning - set out to do 4 miles, but felt good for 5 - ran one of my quickest paces for some considerable time!  Good start to the day!

Hope you enjoyed the 10k on the Town Moor this morning, Shielsy and Snoopy - good day for it.