Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Great race report Bob.  There used to be pub on Brighton front that just played 70/80's rock music.  is it still there?

• Good morning all image

Is the thread broken again or is everyone hard at work or asleep today ?

• Morning Shrek

Well Billy and I are signed up for next year. never got the email but sorted now.

Shielsy - well done on the prize

A lot of good running going on while I was away. A lovely week of sunny weather in Tenerife. Lots of lovely image hills for running up and down. Managed about 20 miles when I was away and it was all up and down. Tough especially in the heat.

• I didn't get an e-mail last year and only just realised in time to enter. It seems to be more of a problem this year for members - I just hope no-one misses out by not realising and attempts to enter when its too late.

Hi Fiona - it must have been lovely running whilst on holiday, despite the hills.

I got out today for a nice 6 miler in my new trainers. Very happy to report they felt really comfy and I didn;t get any blisters so all good so far in my change from Adidas to New Balance!

• I haven;t had an email.  I registered for the reminder service and I've got a t least another year on my membership.  Where are you guys going to register?  I signed in on GreatRun but it just offers the reminder service image

• I'm not too sure RLTW as I haven't looked at the website as I'm waiting for next months payday before I can afford to enter. There's no real panic as yet, as you have until 18th Dec to enter so hopefully someone else will be along very soon to help you with how to enter now.

• Its really been quite bad this year for members. It makes you wonder if they don't send out a lot of e-mails on purpose so that a lot of members miss out. The organisors have their bonus of nearly £50 a person and if that person doesn't enter then they can just allocate more ballot places???

...........or is that just me being cynical??

• Evening all.

Mandie - this year I did notice that the e-mail stated that there were a set number of ballot memberships, and that the membership thing would close on December 19th "or when the allocated places were full", whichever came first.

Hi Fiona - how are you and Billy doing? Well done on Town Moor image  Good holiday?

Hi RLTW and Shrek - hope that you are both well image

• Just looked on FB as I recall someone saying there was a link, which there is - but it says to use your original login details and it should sort out whether you are new or existing or deferred.  It keeps directing me to New Member.  I may just contact their info@ option just to be sure. 

• Vixx - just re-read my e-mail (had a mild panic then as I really cannot afford to enter til I get paid on Dec 15th) and it says if I dont enter by that date, my place will be allocated to the general ballot.

Bloomin' heck - I've spent all afternoon on the phone arguing with the pet insurance people....thought for a minute there that I was going to spend all day arguing with Great Run tomorrow about the drfinition of 'guarenteed entry'........and breathe!

• Mandie - are you already a member? I am renewing the whole caboodle and I think it was the three year membership that they meant.

• From my e-mail:

"(Should the maximum membership spaces be achieved prior to the set deadline, the allocation will be closed.)"

• Aahh thats the difference then, Vixx.

I'm already a member, and have one year left.

Panic well and truly over.....for me, that is image

• RLTW -I just emailed them at the contact us address and they replied with the priority link. I then just used our original login details . (The ones you used to try and find the link in the first place). Then it just provided the correct cost for each of us. Billy had to renew whole thingy and I didn't.

Vixx - we had a lovely holiday. I would thoroughly recommend Los cristianos it was really warm and busy even at this time of year.

Mandie - it was great not to have to get up in the middle of the night to run!
  • Sorry for the panic Mandie! image

Glad you had a nice holiday Fiona - I hope that the weather was better than here!

• Welcome back, Fiona - and well done on the holiday running.  I've been to Tenerife once, but a long long time ago - when I was young, so I think I went to Los Americanos (?) with my then boyfriend.

Hi Mandie, Vixx and RLTW.  I hope you get your membership sorted out RLTW.  I always forget membership login details for things, but I usually find stuff like that by searching my inbox for old emails from the companies in question to see if there's a record of my log in details.  But I'm sure info@greatrun will get back to you.

Tuesday, so club night.  Running loops round nearby streets: 2 loops (1.25 miles) then 90 second rest, 1 loop (0.65 miles) then 90 second rest, another 2 loops, 90 second rest then a final loop.  Was shattered, especially after cross country on Saturday.

But now I'm showered and in my pjs and looking forward to a day off work tomorrow.  Off to get cinema tickets first thing, then a bit shopping, then I may attempt to make sweet shortcrust pastry and sweetmince pie filling in preparation for Christmas, and then off to see Breaking Dawn pt. 2 tomorrow night with one of my nieces - can't wait.

• I was just going to ask which film you were going to watch Shielsy! Hope that you enjoy it. image

I need to change the email address that my GreatRun stuff goes to. They have my updated details, but the email address is a bit of a giveaway.... image

• Thanks Fiona, hopefully mine will work when they send me a link. Were you using your original log in details.. I changed my user name and my password at some point so I don't know if that's making the difference. 

• Cheers Vixx - I'll be smuggling in my own popcorn though ... cinema snack prices are beyond belief: £3.95 for the smallest bag of popcorn that you can buy double the amount for in Morrisons for a third of the price!

By the time you get 2 snacks and drinks, you're paying as much as what you would for a pub meal!

• I know - it was one of the reasons I left - I hated the way the public were ripped off so much image

I won't even go to watch a film at that specific chain now....

• Enjoy it Shielsy, it's fab. A little slow to get going perhaps, but you can just use the time to soak it all up image

• Dont get me started on cinema pricing ! Family of 5 to go and watch a kids film will cost us just short of ??50 !!!! No way we can afford to do it often and certainly dont buy cinema snacks and 3d movies are a total no no as that bumps us over 50 just for the tickets !

Only time we go ow is to the sator sun kids club, films are usually 3-4 months late but cor the 5 of us it costs just over a tenner.

Running club tonight and had a surprisingly good session, had to ride down on my bike (1 mile) to drop daughter off at her sesson, then ride back home (1 mile) then get changed and run back down (1 mile) to collect her and then run back home (1 mile) and thten drop her at home, turn round and basically sprint back and do the 1 mile in just over 7 minutes !! Knackered already as i arrive and group were just heading out the club house for another 1 mile run to the 1km loop we were using !!!

Then the session was 1k in 4:00, 40 sec recovery, 1km in 4:00, 40 sec recovery, 1km in 3:52, 30 sec recovery and one last 1km in 3:52 followed by 1 mile run home ! Absolutey wrecked at the end of it but enjoyed it !
  • mr sj- with those times is a sub 40 10k on the horizon?

• RLTW - I've never changed my login details, but if you just login you don't get the link.

Shielsy - Los Cristianos and Las Americas are basically now merged one into the other as far as I can see.

I totally agree about cinema prices - the snacks in particular are very expensive

• GreatRun emailed back to me today - Apparently this year was my 3rd in that batch image whoops!.  How the years have slipped by image.  Guess that's me coughing up for another 3 year priority membership then. 

• Evening evryone image

Just back from watching some films "breaking dawn part 2" with Imi - I was tempted to take a pillow & have a snooze but at the prices they charge I decided to watch it instead !

Orange Wednesday at Ciniworld so tickets (2 for 1 deal) £8.40 and popcorn, minstrells and a coke £9.60 !!!!! Still it would have cost £16.80 for the 2 tickets any other day but very expensive couple of hours sat in a dark room.

I need to renew my membership and have had an e mail wanting a fortune for a 3 year renewal deal - I will do it but bad timing just before Christmas. Just hope I get it done before the numbers have gone. Will try at the weekend if I get a chance.

• All paid up for membership and 2013 entry. Do we get another techi t shirt and membership card?

• RunLikeTheWind wrote (see)

All paid up for membership and 2013 entry. Do we get another techi t shirt and membership card?

For that money we'd better get something!

Have you seen the GreatRun Facebook group?  They're asking for honest opinions on the GreatRun series.  We should all bombard them with emails complaining about the cost (especially when compared to the London Marathon) and how you're asked to stump up right before Christmas.

• RLTW - I get another T-shirt last year when I renewed my membership.

As you say Shielsy the price is scandalous when you consider other events of a similar scale.  Did you enjoy the film?

• Fiona - the film was good, thanks.  But Kristen Stewart is far too thin, she looked horribly gaunt in some scenes.