Great North Run 2013

Comments

• First interval session since November - hard but feel so good afterwards. Got all the demons out of my head after my heart scare and onwards and upwards now. Totally agree with the 'abide with me comment' its bad enough when you don't know anyone close Rostand and take that in but this year for you lot with Mick's memory will be so poignant.
  • Thanks Mandie

Does anyone know if you can upload a video here? I've done a little tribute to Mick and wanted to post it here but I'm having problems. Any ideas anyone?

• WTS - you should be able to upload vid by clicking the little tree symbol,  I'veonly done ones from Youtube but I think they let you upload from your own computer files.  Good to hear you're coming up this year.

Should we be doing red and white balloons instead of the green ones at the start?

• Thanks RLTW but the tree symbol only seems to let me upload images. I've put the tribute on FB for all of you who know me in "real life". I've nicked a few photos from here, so I hope people don't mind too much.

*** Warning for Mandie *** Get the tissues ready before you watch it. (I know what you're like!) x

• I don't think I will be doing GNR this year as I am already doing London Marathon and somehow my hand slipped and I entered a 100km run in June! image Would love to come and see a few of you at some point during the year if there is anything planned though after Blaydon/other events like Sunderland marathon?

• Warning recieved too late, oops. Just watched the video on FB.

I'm just so proud to have been a part of his running family and to have seen what a truly special person he was...........this years GNR is going to be a toughy, thats for sure.

x

• Why did you just warn Mandie! Very touching and I didnt even know Mick that well compared to a lot of you.

• I'll be doing nt10k , aiming to pb this year
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Very fitting tribute WTS

• Way too slow - I would like to see the video but not a friend obviously with you on Facebook I assume there is no way of uploading to here
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/v/10151421181431255" src="https://www.facebook.com/v/10151421181431255" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="480" height="360"

• Lovely tribute, WTS - it made me cry too (and I didn't get your warning in time, either).

• WTS - I've just watched the video, it's lovely.  For my last 2 GNRs I've sobbed having lost my mam one year and then my dad the year after ... this year won't be any more bearable.

Running club was back with a bang - 5k time trial.  Ran my socks off and finished in 23.22.  Missed a pb by 18 seconds, but I'm putting it down to not wearing my racers ... and the post-Christmas weight-gain image.  Still happy with it.I

In my post-run euphoria I seem to have agreed to do a cross-country relay in Durham on Sunday morning.  Vicki asked me if I would before the session started as they were a man (woman) short, told me to 'think about it', and of course I was agreeing by the time I was finished.  I think it's called 'taking one for the team'.

• Thank you all. It was really emotional going through all the old photos looking for suitable ones, and I shamelessly stole some off others here, but I'm hoping you all don't mind.

Yes the start of the GNR will be a really emotional time this year. If I manage to make it up I'll bring lots of tissues!

Good running there Shielsy, that PB is looking an easy target. Cross country??? image

• Mr K - won't let me look at video - oh well I think i get the gist from all the comments.

Well done Shielsy on your run - great time for this time of year and good luck in cross country

• Way Too Slow wrote (see)

Good running there Shielsy, that PB is looking an easy target. Cross country??? image

I'm a cross country veteran these days, WTS  image

• Just received a lovely e-mail,saying I am in for this years GNR.Hotel was already booked as well.Sunderland top for me as well.Good luck to all in the main ballot.

• Really sorry to read about Mick.  I never met him face to face, but his character shone through on his posts over the years.

I'm not sure where time has gone in the last 10 days since I last visited this thread but the start of marathon training probably has something to do with it.  So far its going well and I've even found a pair of shoes that don't give me blisters so perhaps I won't have blood stained shoes this time in London.

We had the county XC on Sunday- it was a bit muddy as this unlucky runner found out:

/members/images/433328/Gallery/Image1_1.jpg

Young OS was in the winning county U13 team so we were well chuffed.

• Great picture OS !

Shielsey - im at the relays on sunday so will see you there, i dont often get the chance to do xc as they are always on saturdays and thats not a good day for me but couldnt miss the chance of a sunday !! Looks like my club will be painting durham with red vests as we have over 100 runners taking part !!

Bearsted - are you on facebook ? If so you can add me as a friend and then you should be able to see the vid, just message me on here and i'll let you know my "real" name !

Dasher - well done on GNR place

Club run for me last night, lots of runnng across dry sand on the beach and up and down stupidly steep ramps and steps, apparently its supposed to be good for my strength but im starting to think the coach just enjoys watching us suffer for an hour.
  • Well done Dasher - lets hope my daughter can get in via main ballot as I really want to run round race with her - it will be great to be able to take things in a bit more. We have a charity place reserved for her if she does not get in so I suppose its not to much of a problem.

• OS,the photo us funny,bet he had some choice words when he stood up.

Dasher,good news on the ballot.

What time is the Durham xc on,I'm at work but could probably make it over to watch and cheer.

Been to the gym this morning,first training if the year,this flu has really took it out of me.I've decided not to do the Brass Monkey half as I just havent got the miles in my legs yet.I dont know if I can defer my place or to just give it away.
  • Has anyone heard when Blaydon entries will be out,think it was beginning of Feb last year,I've just looked on club website and they seem to think the race may be ran earlier in the day,because its on a Sunday.They said the last time it ran on a Sunday was 2002 and it started at 3 pm.
  • Spongecake - you can transfer your number to another runner of the same sex but not sure about defering.

Re blaydon - i heard it would be a 4:15 start as its on a sunday and entries are usally beginning of feb. will be nice this year as early start means early finish and for once i should be able to make it along for the post race curry !
  • Spongecake - Durham cross country relay races are as follows:

Race 1: Vet Men 10.15
    Race 2: Senior/Vet Women 10.55
    Race 3: Senior Men 11.35

Would be great to see you there.  I'm so happy as usually the women run last in the day, by which time the ground is really churned up by all the juniors and men's races. Now I can finish and cheer the men on feeling smug for a change.

Too bad about the Brass Monkey - it would have been good to see you there but understandable if you don't feel up to it.

mr sj - see you at Durham then.  That is one hell of a squad you've got going!

• Where is it in Durham? I'm up there at the weekend and may be able to get over there.

Afternoon all! image

• I'm in for this and so is my running partner. Unfortunately we were not organised enough to have accommodation booked in advance. Does anyone have any recommendations of not too expensive accommodation please. Am happy to drive a bit in the morning but preferably not more than an hour away. Thanks for your help!
  • Just caught up with this thread after a few days away from it and very sad indeed to hear the news about Mick the Mackem. I didn't know him personally but we exchanged a few posts on RW about local races and he always came across as a very nice bloke. What a terrible shame.