Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

A very pleasant (no wind,rain or too cold) steady 12 miles this morning - should have been slower but decided to see where I was compared to last year when I was in good shape. I did same route as this time last year and actually at 1:43 was 2 minutes quicker and felt really good at end without pushing it too hard. Its one of my favourite routes by me - it takes in a park, river and a few miles of the pilgrims way the scenery is great.

• Options

Mountain biking in the Goyt Valley this morning for me in freezing cold rain/hail and an almighty gale - blimmin' hard work but great fun!

mr sj - that sleep will do you the power of good.

Great running from everyone again. Blade 41 - enjoy yours when you get out.

• Options

Afternoon everyone.

You still feeling poorly, mr sj?  Take it easy and hope you feel better soon.

Well done on the biking Mandie, and well done on your 12 miles too, BP.

XL - I wish I could join your enthusiasm for rugby, but the times when I've tried to watch nothing much seems to happen (I realise that's because I don't understand the rules, so it just looks like a load of big blokes brawling and dropping the ball a lot).

13 miles for me today, in horribly windy conditions.  Why is it that when the wind is behind you it never seems that strong, but the second you turn into it, it pretty much stops you in your tracks?  Goodness knows what I must have looked like to passers by as I leant into the wind, getting nowhere fast, tears streaming down my face from the wind with a murderous look on my face.

It's when you get horrible weekends like this (weather wise) when you can't imagine that it will ever be calm and sunny and springlike as it's been cold, and icy and windy and wet for soooooo long.

• Options
    Shielsy - it was quite windy wasn't it. I did 18 miles down to the coast and then back again so had 9 miles into a headwind. I don't imagine I looked great either. I always worry about the dripping nose which doesnt look at all attractive!

Mr SJ - hope you feel better soon.

Mandie - how did you stay upright?

Bearsted - well done on the run you are clearly progressing.

Lucky you on the weather.

Blade - good running.

Remember peeps to get the entries in tomorrow. I noticed when I was in start fitness yesterday that the Blaydon forms were out.
  • Options
    Fiona J wrote (see)
    Shielsy - it was quite windy wasn't it. I did 18 miles down to the coast and then back again so had 9 miles into a headwind. I don't imagine I looked great either. I always worry about the dripping nose which doesnt look at all attractive!

God yeah - my nose was dripping like a tap on today's run - why does that happen?  My nose doesn't run at any other time.

Good luck everyone with the Blaydon entries.

• Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)
    Fiona J wrote (see)

God yeah - my nose was dripping like a tap on today's run - why does that happen?  My nose doesn't run at any other time.

Happens to me too - very un-lady-like image

• Options

I also ran out towards the coast today for a total of almost 23 miles (accidentally, was only meant to be  20 but we got lost in Rising Sun and a couple of other places). The return leg along the coast road and back to Kingston Park was all into the wind and I just wanted to cry. 

• Options
    A bit windy here today too. Just a little. 6.6 miles for me today, stayed in built up areas to try to avoid the wind, but that didn't work !

Some great miles on here folks, well done.

No falls this week and a new suit purchased, no real damage done and only 1 person saw me fall so it wasn't too embarrassing.
  • Options

Well done CC2!  Wonder how many 'extra' miles we can award ourselves when we run when it's really windy?

You too Shrek.  I was running where there were a lot of fields, so open spaces, so not much 'wind breakage' ... picturesque, but useless for windy days.  When the wind was behind me I did consider just to keep going up to 13 miles so I wouldn't have to turn round into the wind, but I didn't have my bus pass, or money, or mobile with me ... so that would have meant one helluva long walk home.

• Options

You can easily double your mileage when its proper windy.
    Nice 26 mile for you today Shielsy. image

I've been unable to run for 10 days which is killing me but i'll be able to get out on Wednesday for 12 miles. My long runs are currently running about 4 miles short of where I wanted to be but hey-ho.

• Options

Unfortunatly i'm on night shift and have to endure the NFL American Football as the other two on shift with me want to watch it.
    It's not as bad as football or rugby but it's still terrible. If they didn't stop every 4.5 seconds it might be ok. Still, never mind, it should be finished in 5 hours.

• Options

Not as bad as football or rugby !!!!
    Words fail me.

Three fantastic games of rugby union have launched this year's 6 Nations.
    Those other two 'sports' are not even worthy of a mention.

Shielsy, I thought I'd posted a response to your comments. Can't seem to see it. Or did I say something on fb? I am confused. ay, I think I said something along the lines of understanding your frustration. Anyway, have a word with Pengwyn, she will set you on the right road image

I hope your wanderings were not as a result of the printout I gave you CC2. Rising Sun takes a bit of getting used to, some of the paths look confusingly similar to each other.  Cracking long run. You too, Fiona. Some serious mileage building up.

On the subject of noses. If your nose runs, and your feet smell - you're uspide down.

• Options
    Blaydon entry in at the second online attempt.Good luck with your entries.

The Superbowl was great last night,sent me to sleep in five minutes.
  • Options
    Am v jealous Spongecake. I gave up trying on online. Got through the code stage, had the page telling me my form was reserved and I had an hour etc,etc, clicked on the link to go to my entry form and.....nothing. Just a message telling me that that I had to go through sendentry. Same thing happened twice more. Have JavaScript enabled, so no idea what went wrong. Gave it up as a bad job in the end. Have sent paper entry, if I get in great, if not, well, wasn't meant to be image

Good luck to everyone else image Will just have to wait until April now!
  • Options
    spongecake wrote (see)
    Blaydon entry in at the second online attempt.Good luck with your entries.
    The Superbowl was great last night,sent me to sleep in five minutes.

I got in on the second (4pm) attempt too, spongecake.  I did have a slot, thus an allocated form, at 2pm, but at the bottom of the first page it said I had to click on the Next Step button to proceed to the payment page ... only trouble was there WAS no Next Step button on my form image.  The same happened to Stoxy.  I have to say we weren't impressed.

But we've got places now, so all's well that ends well.  Now I have to find a Sunderland top somehow.

• Options

I gave up on the online entry as well.  I thought I had cracked it with the first batch at 2.00 but I got the same thing as you Shielsy.  No chance with the 4pm slot so it's paper entry for me as I'll not get new a computer for the next two slots.  Not much work done this afternoon!

• Options
    I must confess my wife did the entry for me,she's seems to be pretty lucky with online entries,Brass monkey,GNR and now Blaydon.Well done to those who've got in and lets hope the postal entries have more luck.
  • Options

I watched the full Superbowl which lasted roughly 18 hours and partially enjoyed it. I looked up a newbie guide on the tinterweb so had an idea what was going on.
    The highlight was of course the future Mrs Stringy, Beyonce; strutting her stuff in the interval. image

Well done to those with Blaydon entries and good luck to those using the postal application.

• Options
    You get a blaydon entry stringy ?
  • Options

yes mate. I got a place from the club. The 18 club applications limit turned out to be incorrect so we are all good to go. image
    My Sunderland shirt arrived a couple of days ago also via the e-bay so all is good.

• Options
    I think the 18 place thing was purely to hurry people along and get club entries in before the masses started applying.

Good morning everyone, yet another cold, windy, miserable day outside but dont worry surely it cant get any worse, oh actually it can, snowstorms and freezing frost due all day today, fanbloodytastic.
  • Options

As much as I miss the North East (and will move back there some day) the South has one (and only one) advantage THE WEATHER - still managing to get most of my runs in outside at moment

• Options
    26 miles today then Sheilsy ! That's dedication !

A Rare day off today but no running as had to hold big meeting in Manchester yesterday and so still very tired and battling the snow again wasn't much fun. My poor Irish colleagues didn't make it as they weren't landing aircraft at Manchester yesterday.. Thankfully it's all gone now.

Will get out on Sunday for a cheeky few miles I hope

Hope you're runs go well stringy and well done all n the on line entries, sounds fun
  • Options
    Hi all, just wondering. Apols if this has been asked before.

This is year 2/3 for me on the great north run membership. After next years run, can I renew this (for a further three years) or is it back to the ballot for me? Just wondering like.....
  • Options
    Yes you get option to renew each 3 years
  • Options
    Sweet. Didn't fancy the ballot muchimage

Didn't realise this thread was so full of local Newcastle runners - good to see! Foud a nice route on the coast road today that goes into a lovely path that leads to Silverlink. Wagon ways I think it's called. Nice 10 mile route....anyways. Cheers!
  • Options

Hi Adrian and welcome.  It's always nice to find a new route isn't it.  Sometimes it gets boring running along the same roads so finding somewhere new doesn't make it seem as much as a slog ... until the novelty wears off image.

I should have done a 9 miler last night but wasn't able to.  For one thing it was bitingly cold up here and windy so it would have been just horrible.  Plus, I was expecting an electrician mate of ours to pop round after work as one of our RCDs keeps tripping (usually when no-one is in the house, so no appliances being used).  I told him I'd be available from 4pm onwards.  At 7.30pm he called to say he couldn't make it image so it was too late by then to get out anyway.

I'll try and get out tonight instead.

• Options

I quite like the Coast Road. The monotony of the run feels like a good test as the miles pass by. Can't beat the Quayside and Tyne Bridge though - love running up throuhg town and past St James - good hill work out!

Long run at the weekend - 21 miler - so may see some of you oooot and aboooot.

• Options
    Afternoon shielsey, enjoy run later, its freezing out there again but no wind for once !

Adrian - welcome to the thread, theres loads of north east based runners on here, we stretch from whitley bay down to teeside !
  • Options

Afternoon all

I must be finding some mojo at last as I'm looking forward to tonight's run even though the wind is blowing and it's quite cold. No snow or ice, not that we've had much here.

Mrs LFC got her redundancy notice from the council she works for the other day. The good news is, she had a redeployment meeting and has been offered another job, still within the council, just for less hours. Better than no hours.