Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Shielsy wrote (see)

I'm beginning to wonder if no-one else is running these days apart from me,  OS and BP?

Me, me, me!!!! I ran 9 miles this morning, first run since the 9th Feb and boy, can I feel it now!!image

• Well done Mandie that's the way to get back into it
  • ........thats not what my thighs/bum are saying BP!

• They will feel better next time - well they should anyway
  • That's excellent Mandie - talk about jumping back in with both feet!

• And thighs and bum by sounds of it
  • I needed to do it Shielsy. Its Haweswater a week on Sunday and today was my last chance of some sort of long run so I reckoned 9 miles would give me a bit of confidence for the day. As for the week afterwards to recover.........the only think I'm sure of is it will be painful!

On a positive note, I'm now tapering!!

• Oh how I wait for those taper days - only 7 weeks to go!!
  • Good evening everyone image

• Hello String image How goes it?

• Good evening; it goes well thank you.

Some good news today. My good lady was offered a job today. image
    Better salary with the same-ish hours than the one she currently has but even better; it's a 5 minute walk away rather than a 30 minute drive through Newcastle rush hour traffic.
    After spending 27 years working for the same company, being made redundant just before Christmas left her feeling that she wasn't capable of doing any other job and certainly lacked confidence. Now she's found a job and been offered a second image All good image

Mandie. Good luck with the Haweswater. I did it in 2010, loved it and would love to do it again in the future.

• Hi Stringy - that's excellent news about your wife's job.  I'd love a job I could walk to, as the metros are hardly reliable ... think of the petrol money she'll be saving!

How's the running?

• Morning.
    The running is not as consistent as i'd like due to the shift hours but then there's no ice or snow to contend with so at least that's good! image

It's 4:30am right now; only 2 hours to go then I can crawl into bed.

• Cheers Bearsted; I presume you mean good news I can crawl into bed in just over an hour. image

• Shielsy - I'm running too, in fact too much! The up side is that I'm definitely getting a bit faster.

Stringy - that's great news, your wife must be really pleased.

Mandie - enjoy the tapering. How are the legs today?

Hi Vixx/bearsted

• Shielsy.....still running here! But got to say its damn cold round here. Managed another 4 miles the night before last, and after being on a low carb diet since 2nd January, went out for a big steak/ chips and a few drinks to celebrate. Just about to wrap up and get out again for a brisk run before leaving for work at 3pm.

Think this has now become a real aprt of my life now....and cant wait for September!

Stay warm folks!

• Afternoon all.

Terrific news about your wife's job Stingy.

I have been laid low by a flu bug and a chesty cough for a fortnight.Ventured out for a 2mile plod before which was OK.It might look sunny out there but that wind is bitter.Good luck to all who have paces in the Gnr and for future races.

• Afternoon everyone, hope everything is ok. Good news Stringy about the wife's job, its amazing how so many times a redundancy can lead into better circumstances.

I am still running Shielsy, its not been easy with a bad weather and I find it hard to breathe properly when its too cold, it was so bad on 1st Jan that I couldn't complete a 10k race, my pace is much better but my lungs can't keep up in the cold!!

Did 8.5 miles on Saturday and will scale-up to 10 this weekend as I have Cambridge half-marathon on 9th March....no expectations but just getting into shape much earlier this year. Will be running for Diabetes UK in this years GNR in memeory of a friend who passed away a month before last years race, will even have my own personalised shoes for the event although I'll be happy to get close to or beating that 2 hour mark...its definitely in me as I was on course at 8 miles last year until the calf decided not to play anymore..

We got Park Runs down here in Suffolk now so once Cambridge is finished I'll be doing some of those, we've finally caught up with everyone else, who knows we might get gas in our village one day!!

• Good to see others are still out running - this thread was becoming all but abandoned!

DD - sorry to hear you've been unwell.  I'm keeping everything crossed I don't get sick in the next couple of months.

Good luck with your half marathon Andy - let us know how it went.

Blade41 wrote (see)

Shielsy.....still running here! But got to say its damn cold round here.

It's really cold still isn't it?  For my 10 miles yesterday I had long tights on, a long sleeved top, one of my warmer running jackets, gloves and a hat and I just couldn't warm up at all.  Then the night is wasted as all I want to do when I get home is sit on the sofa in my warmest pjs, wrapped in a fleecy blanket, drinking tea (rock 'n roll!!!)

• Last night for me was skins full sleeve top and full legins then running tights, longsleeved top, a running jacket hat and gloves - and that was down in south. Today colder so luckily can do session on treadmill tonight as only a 45 min tempo session. Got Tunbridge Wells 1/2 on Sunday and race organisers are saying on their website could be a wind chill factor of -7oC so me thinks at least 3 layers and probably a bit faster than I had intended.

• Hmmmm I didn't think it was that cold last night compared to last week.

Andy and bearsted - best of luck at the weekend.

Shielsy - when is the marathon?

DD - sorry to hear you're poorly.
  • Evening all,

Stringy - what fantastic news for your wife - I'm so pleased for her.

DD - sorry to hear you haven't been too well.

Blade41 - sounds like you have the running bug!

Andy - good news about parkruns reaching you. Seems no-one has a bad word to say about them.

As for the weather, It's perishing out there. I'm convinced, in the hour between my run and walking the dog yesterday, the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. I ran in a base layer and a long-sleeved top and felt just fine. After a shower I layered up with t-shirt, jumper, fleece and coat and it was freezing!! That wind is just evil!

Legs today are surprisingly not too bad at all. Having said that, I doubt I could run too far, even if I tried.

• You are probably right Mandie, I ran a fast 5k Tuesday night & although it said 6c in my car the wind made it feel like -6!! Hope you're well, I guess we are all looking forward to the Spring. I've been plotting some courses when on my travels, got a nice 6 mile near Bucklow Hill, similar on the Wirral & in Southampton & I will be in Stockton just after Easter where I am tempted to drive up to Shields & get my head into running that last tough climb of the GNR...I've started working on hills to improve my mental approach to dealing with them.

It looks like we all have to wrap up this weekend, enjoy, stay safe & healthy
  • Andy - Stockton my old home town - lived there for 18 years. Have to say over the years I have conquered in my mind different bits of GNR the only bit that still gets to me is the 8-10 mile stretch up John Reid bit. The hill at end now I see as a time to attack as the other side is a delight.
  • Andy - having all that choice has got to be a bonus (my route up and down the East Lancs Road can get sooo tedious!) As you say tho....Roll on Spring - got to be here soon, surely??

BP - I'm trying to think of my worst bits of the GNR. If I'm truly honest....I love the start,  the underpasses and the Tyne Bridge, I'd personally delete everything from that killer of a climb just after the Tyne Bridge, and jump to the Boost Zone with those endless speakers of music blasting out (love that bit) and then I would skip past that loooong drag where the lamposts are all numbered (the Nook I think?)  until you reach that short sharp drop just after the Marsden Pub where I could just lap up and enjoy that last, long, wonderful, atmospheric, adoreable last mile with the crowds getting thicker and thicker and louder and louder and shouting your name (thats on your shirt of course) as if they are your closest family/friend - it has got to be the best mile of any race you will ever run EVER!!!

Roll on September!

• Mandie - couldn't agree more with the last part from the hill down to the front and then along the front it is wonderful and so enjoyable
  • I have no idea who John Reid was or is, but his road is a pain in the ass. It just goes on forever!

• Ah...i've just done some research on the worldwideinternetgoogleweb and found out that John Reid is in fact the Patron Saint of monotony, fatigue and dreariness.
    Now you know image

• Stringy-thanks for enlightening us image.  Good news about your wife's job.  Does that mean w=you can put your feet up now for a welle arned rest?

I found that some kind person had marked out 100m intervals on a long stretch of pavement near me with no roads to cross (nuffink to do with me, your honour) which was perfect for my reps of 200m x15 on Wednesday- so much more interesting than doing it on the track too.  And on Thursday night I missed a session off my schedule and went to a wine tasting.  So when the wheels fall off half way round London, I'll know whyimage

Welcome aboard Sorecalf- who said you can't lose weight through exercise?