Great North Run 2013

Comments

• RLTW - what do you mean your not running!
  • Fiona - yes, most of the snow has now gone - after the snow and blizzards yesterday, you would hardly have known it had ever snowed today.

Bearsted - so sorry to hear about your ITB struggles.  But at least you did the sensible thing and took it easy.  No shame in walking bits if it means it gets you round in one piece.

RLTW - I really hope your not running is down to CBArsed-ness, and not that you're injured or poorly  xx

OS - best of luck for your son - keep us informed.

• Another good day today. A 'long run' (for me anyway!) of 6 miles. The longest Ive run since 1996 lol, in 65 minutes. Still looking at the carbs, but just as a one off.....a bacon and egg sarnie went down really rather well after a bath lol. image.

• Blade - that's a good protein/carb recovery snack! Well Done on your 6 image

Hi Fiona and Shielsy image

• Well done on the 6 miles, Blade!  Bacon and egg sandwiches certainly hit the spot, don't they!

Hi Vixx

16 miles for me today.  It was a bit tiring after yesterday's X/C, and the weather wasn't the best (a bit of rain and hail thrown in halfway round, just to give my long run extra 'spice') but I managed to get round.  Felt famished for the last few miles though, as I'm deliberately trying not to fuel too much on my long runs, so when it comes to the marathon any energy gel I take will give a real boost.  I managed the whole run on a small amount of water and one Powershot gel sweet.  But boy could I feel my stomach complaining 'Feed me!' by the end though.

• Well Done Shielsy! I know what you mean about being famished - I was similar on my long run. I didn't get hail though, and I think you are truly hardcore for doing the XC yesterday and kicking ass, and then going out in the hail today! Wow!

• I think I need to refocus - I have only done 2 races since November and they have both gone badly but more to the point I was lazy in both of them and basically gave up on each race. I have never done that before. My training is not much better I do it but don't really push it anymore. I need to get back to where I was - I am starting with trying to get the ITB problem sorted it is an appointment this week to have an ITB strip then I won't have any excuses. I have another half marathon in 2 weeks which is a perfectly flat race and I intend to really go for it and not give up and see where that gets me. I set my PB at this race last year (98:19). Well that's put it all in words now to do it in actions - hard training week this week 45 miles
  • Morning everyone

Shielsy - You're really getting the mileage in, well done.

Bearsted - hope the ITB strip (ouch) works and you get back on track.

Well done on your long run Vixx.

I did a track workshop yesterday concentraiting on technique and speed work, with some circuits and stretching at the end. A hard, 2 hour workout that really knackered me out and made my legs ache in parts that I forgot I had. I can't wait for next weeks one. Does this mean I've finally gone insane? image

• lfc runner wrote (see)

I did a track workshop yesterday concentraiting on technique and speed work, with some circuits and stretching at the end. A hard, 2 hour workout that really knackered me out and made my legs ache in parts that I forgot I had. I can't wait for next weeks one. Does this mean I've finally gone insane? image

Yes - join the club  image.

• Good to know I'm not alone. The voices in my head told me as much! image

• Well done lfc! Sounds like a good workout! How are you feeling today?

• Used and not in a good way.

The bike ride into work has helped loosen my legs up a bit though and I am looking forwards to tomorrow nights run, so I can't be that bad.

• Great work lfc - thats the sort of work I need to put in to get back on track - step 1 accomplished I have an appt tonight with physio to try and sort out ITB.

• Afternoon all, quick heads up to any locals about a new small scale race coming up this yar, many thanks to jovi for spotting this one

http://www.northeastmarathonclub.co.uk/resources/NRM Entry 2013.docx

Its a half, mara and 50k around newcastle racecourse, a lap race, each lap 1.65 miles, 8 laps for the half and 16 for the mara (just in case your no good at maths!) limited to 100 places in total across all events and its in december so weather will be absolutey freezing !!!! Im very tempted with he half
  • ITB strip done lets hope that excruciating pain is worth it and resolves my knee issues. The Physio seems to think it will so we will wait and see
  • Fingers crossed Bearsted! Hope it wasn't too bad!

Hi mr sj image

• Hi everyone, some of our cheerleaders cant make the weekend so we have a spare double room in a b&b in whitley bay for Friday and Saturday night.im not after making any money-you can donate the room cost to my just giving pageimage just trying to help out if anyone's stuck....
  • Hope everyone is surviving the weather. I did bootcamp last night and my fingers nearly froze off! What else do you guys do to increase core strength?

If anyone is still looking for a place, I'm running for Christian Aid and have done for a few years. Join me and the rest of the team here http://www.christianaid.org.uk/getinvolved/events/running/half-marathon/great-north-run.aspx 

Lu x

• Evening all  image

Felt like an absolute zombie all day yesterday after Saturday's XC and Sunday's 16 miler.

Today I was a bit more energetic so went to running club after work.  I didn't go eyeballs out but still tried as hard as my legs would allow.  About 6 miles in total, when adding runs to and from the stadium.

Hope everyone is well.

• Shielsy - you will start to be called 'Forest Gump' soon!! Well done - interval tempo session on treadmill for me tonight just 3 x 1.5 miles at 8min/miles with 3 mins recoveries.

• Evening everyone,

Good running shielsey, saw photos of the xc and it looked horrendous ! Was talking to one of the blokes at the club tonight and he said it was the worst conditions he had ever run in.

Club night for me tonight, 6x500m , first 4 were all arpund 1:56 for the 500, next 2 were 1:38 and 1:44 and all with 30sec recoveries, bit of a killer but the a few of us decided to extend the session and went off for a 2.5 miler at an increasing pace, feel wrecked now !

Just had an email from kielder organisers, if anyone fancies something a little different this year i reccomend the run bike run and an added bonus this year is daley thompson is taking part ! My childhood hero !! Cant believe im actually getting excited about it already
  • Well done on your interval sessions, BP and mr sj.

Daley Thompson?  How exciting, I used to love him!

• CC2, Shielsy, Fiona - Definitely a severe case of CBA.  imageimage.

You guys are doing some great running over some fantastic distances - I should be inspired by you all really, but in some ways it's harder to start over when everyone's doing mara training.

I'm signing up for my usual races this year so I'll have to get on with it soon.  Anyone else to short distances ? image

• Im not doing mara training RLTW !! Just nice aensible 5k and 10k's and a couple of little halfs image
  • Morning all.

Just back from 2 weeks in Benidorm. Too little running and too much sand, sea and something else begginning with "s" so need to get back into training mode. Just about to do a steady 3 miles or so in the COLD!

The other "s" was Sangria of course! image

• Hi Roy Runner.

How was the weather?  I'm going to Benidorm on Tuesday so really hoping it's nice and sunny.  The last time I went was a November, when it's supposed to be lovely ... and it was only really nice on the day we were coming home image.

I of course, will be taking my running gear image as my brother has just started running again so whilst I'll have the pleasure of his company for a week I'm going to make sure he doesn't slack off his training.

RLTW - come on now, I'm sick of telling you: 'JUST GET OUT AND RUN!!!'  I know it's sometimes hard getting out of the door, but I can't ever remember a time I've finished a training run (or race) and wished I hadn't bothered.  The feeling you get afterwards just can't be beat.

• Hi Shielsy,

Just had 14 days there and most days it was fine and sunny with temps 18 - 21.image

Was overcast and cool on a few days but only had warm Spanish rain on one day!

Go easy on the Sangriaimage and have a great holiday. We stayed at the Riviera Beachotel. A fantastic little 4* place.

Your'e sure right about that post run feeling. Never tried them but it must be better than drugs

Only managed 2.9 miles just now but it's a start!

• All this talk of warmer climates is making me jealous, mind you - it is a rather lovely day in Manchester. Hope everyone else is feeling a lot more Spring-like too.

I'm actually having one of my (rare) energetic days today. 6 mile run this morning, followed by an hour long walk with Bobbi and walking 15-20 dogs this afternoon for the kennels......happy days!

• Mandie - how do you walk that many? Do you do individual walks?

Shielsy - fab running. I go to Tenerife the week after next so fingers crossed for the weather for both of us.

RLTW - sometimes I wish I was only doing short stuff!

Roy - I'm sure you'll get back to it quickly.

Mr SJ and bearsted - excellent intervals