Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Mandie - I think Bolton Hill WAS my training for TR24! image

Evening all image

Well done on your efforts mr sj image

Hope your 20 miler goes well Bearsted! image

• Cheers Fuzzy - how are you feeling 3 days on - can you walk properly yet

• I'm back!

None of you will remember me but i was posting on this forum when i was doing GNR back in 2009.

Its good to be back, this must be the kindest forum i've ever used.

Well in December 2011 i unfortunately had a motorbike accident where i fractured my spine in 6 places as well as a head injury. It was a loooong recovery to even walk but at the weekend i ran the Clough/ Taylor 10k in 1:00:28.

I have also signed up for the Derby 10K and most amazingly, got a place in the Great North Run 2013 running for the British Heart Foundation. I seriously can't wait for my 2nd GNR and i hope to complete it in under 2:00:00.

I look forward to sharing my ups and downs with you all in the coming months and i wish you all the very best in your training.
  • Ben - great news and brilliantly well done to recover from that aweful accident.

• Hi Ben - Welcome back. Good grief, you've been through it haven't you? Can't wait to share your training with you over the coming months.

Vixx - LOL!

Finished a set of night shifts this morning so this is a quick visit before I head off (extremely) early to bed.

Looking forward to a nice long weekend ahead - hope everyone is well. xx

• Well done Ben,must be a great feeling to be back running.

Mr sj,sounds like you've had another cracking pb.

I've got one long nightshift left tonight then off until next Thursday,hopefully will find time for a parkrun and a longer run on Monday.
  • Hi Ben

We have much in common. My last GNR was also 2009 after which I did the Run To The Beat half. On the way home to Yorkshire after that I  had a serious accident on the M1 and doubted I would run again. To cut a long story very short I did get back to running about 12 months ago and got a place in this years GNR in the Daily Mirror ballot.

Wave when you pass me as it will take me a lot longer than two hoursimage

• Thanks for the messages people, proves my thoughts on this thread were right!

Just booked the weekend at the Whitley Bay caravan park (i'm from the midlands) now i'm just really excited to get there!
  • Well done Ben and good luck on the day.
  • Have decided to travel up on my own. Will either try the nirvana cheap halls in the city or will stay further out and travel in on the day. Does anyone know what the atmosphere is like staying up in the halls.
  • Ben- that's quite a story. Well done for persevering and running again.  I got into running after a spinal injury in 2005 and haven't looked back since. And I'm definitely fittest I've been for years!

BP- I've got a 20 miler to "look forward" to on Saturday as well.  At least the weather is looking a bit better than it was predicted a few days ago.  I didn't really fancy doing it in the rain

• Bearsted - I was fine on Monday morning, just tired and dehydrated. Did 5 miles on tue and another 5 today. Will look at doing 10 on Saturday or Sunday to keep the legs ticking over before the Lightning Run image

Welcome back Ben! And well done for overcoming all of that - that's amazing!

Hi Mandie, OS, mr sj, and Slow Eddy. image

• Slow eddy- theres a few people on here that have stayed at the halls before so no doubt they will have some words of wisdom for you !

Morningg vixx - thats some mity ipressive runni going on there, well done !

Well i have a day off work today so it would just be rude to not use it wisely, so im off for a run ! Then home to get changed and then out on the bike for 20-30 miles. Hope the weather stays calm and no more bloody snow showers
  • What's the weather like up there mr sj? I forgot I'm in Durham at the weekend!

• Windy, windy, cold, windy, rainy, cold and windy.

And sometimes snowy !
  • Any tips on what to eat night before / morning of the run i'll need to scrap the chinese or kebabs thats for sure image  aint been out training this week been at the gym 

Will try another 5 or 10k over theweekend though

• Just getting ready to go to parkrun.

Themed today on guess what?

Yes Red Nose day of course.

It's cold and damp here in Yorkshire so there'l be plenty of those on show!image

• Morning everyone image.

Back from sunny (ish ... at times) Benidorm where I managed to fit in two 6.5 mile runs along the promenades.  I was pretty shocked when I caught a little bit of the news one day to see that you've all been experiencing some rather horrible weather back home, so I'm pretty pleased I missed it.

I had a fantastic time with my family, but unfortunately I caught a virus on the last day (2.5 hours stuck on a plane, boiling hot and shivering at the same time is not fun) so I haven't ran since I got back and have had to drop out of my planned Vets Cross Country race I was supposed to be doing this morning as I've been up all night coughing image.

Fingers crossed I'll get better soon and will be out very soon pounding the pavements again.

Welcome to all the newbies, and I hope everyone is ok?

• Good morning, everypeople

Sorry that I haven't been around for a wee while; that Achilles injury really started to get to me. Happy to report that things are moving in the right direction again now, though. Managed a relatively comfortable, and problem-free parkrun last week in 22:42, followed by a steady 5-miler on the Sunday. Pushed a little on the treadmill on Thursday evening and did a 5k interval session in 22:16 (including the recovery breaks) then managed 21:55 on the moor this morning, including my first sub-7 mile for ages image

Hopefully I can start to build again now, with 3 10ks between March 31st and April 28th to look forward to.

Will read back properly and catch up later.

Healing vibes to you, Shielsy - that doesn't look very good. Get well soon.

• XL - great to hear things seem to be on the mend and keep up the work sounds as though you getting back to where you want to be.

Shielsy - the Spanish are struggling to export much nowadays with their economy so they have taken to exporting bugs. Hope it improves quickly so you can get out running again.

Me I went out this morning for a 20 miler (my first run over 16 since November) it was very wet, cold and very windy but managed to do it at average pace of 8:55 per mile so really happy with that.
  • Thanks, BP. That's a cracking effort, there - far too many miles for my liking image

• Evening all.

Shielsy - sorry to hear you are not feeling too good after your holiday.

XL - Great to hear that everything is back in the right direction.

BP - excellent pace - well done you!

Roy - hope you enjoyed your parkrun.

Jamie - you'll find what is right for you, but generally speaking some carbs the night before and something like porridge/weetabix on the day (give it a couple of hours after eating though otherwise you might see it again sooner rather than later!)

• Slow Eddy - sorry meant to answer your question too. I stayed in the Uni halls last year (and have booke dthem again for this year). There are no studants about so no wild parties going on. Its quite quiet really as most people are just concentrating on the race. You can be as friendly or as private as you like and folks will either talk the hind legs off you or leave you alone, depending on who you meet or how you are with them.

(They do, however, tend to give you funny looks when you sit down to a full English breakfast on the morning of the race......long story which revolves round a late night/slight hangover on my part image!! )

• Sounds fun Mandy

For you slightly older North Easterners there is a bit of nostalgia going on my house tonight listenining to Lindisfarne Live Magic In The Air album. I must have gone to 6 Christmas Concerts at City Hall back in late 70's and early 80's and with my wife originating from Westerhope she did same thing.

• Evening all! Firstly, what on earth happened in the rugby? We were AWFUL!

Hi Shielsy! *waves* Hope you feel better soon, but hope you have had a nice hol too (before getting ill).

Hi Mandie, Bearsted, XL, Roy and jamie image

Hope everyone had a good run/parkrun/rest today image

I'm in Durham and went to the Cathedral today - my training was the 325 steps to the top of the tower (and back down). It was worth it though image

• Thanks Mandie, I going to book one of the Halls and sort out travel up . Will probably drive half way and get a into the city. Can I just buy the metro ticket back to the city from SS on the Sunday?

Training has currently stopped, I have a man cold and feel rubbish.

Away all next week in Leeds, just hoping the Hotel will have fitness room and that I can resist the fully cooked breakfast each day. Have lost 8lbs since New YR and fear it will all be gained back.
  • Afternoon all,just in from doing 1:56 in today's Liverpool half marathon,quick report later but off to my Mothers for a home cooked roast.

• A steady 7.5 miles for me this morning. Hard work in the clarts on some stretches. I don't know how you x-country loons do it image

Well done on the sub-2 DD, that roast will doubtless taste even better.

Get well soon, Eddy

Hi, FuzzyV  It's quite a view from the top of the cathedral, isn't it?

That brings back some very happy memories, BP.
    "Do you belieeeeeeve, the clear white light ...." I saw them about half a dozen times, from 1983, but stopped going when Ray Jackson left. Somehow it wasn't quite the same. I think they're playing the City Hall again (including RJ) to try and save the venue from the cuts.

Hi Mandie. Does our friendly, flying penguin know you've done that? There'll be words spoken image

• FuzzyV I think the less said about the 6 nations yesterday the better image

XL-man - forgive me if you've allready done this earlier on but I recall a few years ago you posted a copy of your running plan for the GNR which last time I ran it I found helpfull. If you have posted it I will trawl back through and find it but if not could you be persuaded to post it again?

Just back from 6 miles very steady and off to no 2 daughters who'se cooking lunch in her new kitchen.