Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Hello Roy

it is easy to find, by popular demand it is on the first page.

Glad it helps.

• Afternoon everyone,

Some good running going on this weekend. Went out in the rain this morning and did a 10 miler, made sure i put in a few monster hills and kept to a nice easy 7:54 pace. Looking forward to nt 10k in a couple of weeks.
  • Oops, don't know what happened to the blank posting aboveimage.  Get well soon Shielsy- that's the trouble with exotic holidays!

I'm very pleased I decided to my 22 mile run yesterday- we woke this morning to slushy snow.  Although even yesterday, it was raining when I left, so I wore my waterprrof top.  By 2km, it had stopped so I took it off and stuffed it in my camelback (no relation XL?) then by 10km the sun was out so I switched my long sleeved shirt for a short sleeve (fortunately I'd put it in in case I got really cold in the initial rain).  Then at 25km, it started pouring with rain again just as I was passing a convenient bus stop, so I took cover for 10mins but got cold so put all on all the layers again.  Then sun then came out again so it was strip off time again.  And that doesn't even describe what was happening with my hat and glovesimage

Today's 5miles run in the slushy snow was simple by comparison but my feet were frozen and soaked by the end of it.  The things we marathon runners have to do...No running tomorrow as I'm off to see The Stranglers!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hey guys, long time I know image

Just a quick post - I ran my local half this morning & due to some recent high miles stuff I decided to wear fancy dress. I wore a Santa outfit & thought of Mick. Today`s run goes to him.

Anyway I must jump in the shower....laters 

• XL-man wrote (see)

A steady 7.5 miles for me this morning. Hard work in the clarts on some stretches. I don't know how you x-country loons do it image

You get used to running in mud after a while.
  • Mr. K. wrote (see)
    I wore a Santa outfit & thought of Mick. Today`s run goes to him.

Nice gesture, Mr K.  I'm sure it would have made Mick smile.

Meant to say - I'm so pleased to hear you're running well again after your injury, XL-man ... sounds like the lay-off hasn't affected your speed at all!

Well done on your 22 miles, OS.  And your 20 miles BP - impressive pace!

Despite still coughing all through the night I couldn't bear it any longer and went out for a run today (unadvisadely, I know).  Last week I was running along miles and miles of seafront, wearing shorts and a vest, watching the sun glittering on a beautiful green sea.  Today it was back once more to layers, hat and gloves as I battled the rain and wind ... what a difference a week makes image.

Managed 17.5 miles, but I took it really slowly.  Actually it wasn't too bad, but I only took one gel with me and I did struggle in the last couple of miles, not so much with fatigue but with weakness through hunger.

Was glad to get back home - freezing, soaking and famished.

• image  Has something happened to the forum?  There seems to be a problem with quotes all of a sudden.  Plus, the text is tiny when I'm typing - do I need glasses or have the techies been tampering with the site?

• Evening all.

No Shielsy, it's small as I type too. Nothing to do with your eyes. I'm afraid the lay-off has knocked a fair bit off my speed. Worked really hard yesterday to just squeak under 22 minutes. I could do 21:30 - 21:45 relatively comfortably in the autumn, and my PB is under 21 so I still have a way to go. No hurry though.

That sounds like a hell of a run you did there. I hope you have enjoyed a good Sunday dinner. image

Hi Mr K, nice gesture. Well done, on the half.

My pleasure RR

Blimey, OS - that doesn't look like fun at all. Four seasons in one run, eh?

Well done on the 10-miler, Mr sj. Always a calendar highlight the NT10k. Looking forward to it as always.

• Shielsy- the site has also lost the ability to upload pics

• I use the site on an ipad and sounds like what youuysa re getting is what ive alwayshad on the ipad ! Textistiny, never does quotes prorperly and i cant use smilies or upload photos.

Had a nice 10 mile run yesterday, it was cold and wet but i did a littleloop to include the priory hill in preperation for NT10k in a couple of weeks, was a nice run and saw loads of runners out and about.

Well done to mr k and his half and well done to everyone else running and racing.

Xl - the speed will return very quickly so dont worry about it, you will be ack to aub 21 within a few weeks
  • Afternoon all

Well I'm also back from my hols and thankfully I haven't brought any nasty lurgy back with me.  1 week of warm weather training and back to misery.  I managed all my runs but boy was it hot!

XL - glad to hear the foot is still improving.  If you don't fancy a speedy dash on Saturday I would be happy with a pacer, I am hoping to race it and get new PB (sub 23:45) so would be easy for you.

Well done on all the excellent running on here and welcome to all the new posters.  There will be plenty of info on here over the next few months. 

For whoever asked about metro tickets back from South Shields.  You should be able to, but you can usually buy them in advance nearer the time which means you don't have to queue on the day and carry money. At least now tho' the ticket machines give change and take cards which makes life a little easier.

• Welcome back Fiona and good luck with run at weekend

• Quick visit, I've only managed to skim over the posts - sorry.

Eddy - yes you can buy tickets back to the start from SS. I usually finish in just over teh 2hr mark so there is always a queue for the metro but it moves really quickly and there are ticket-type-people who sell you tickets as you are waiting to save you time. The organisation as a whole for this event is excellent when you consider there are 50,000 runner plus families etc to look after.

XL - yes, I've spoken to Pengwyn and explained all. x

Welcome home Fiona.

I ran my usual 6 mile route on Sunday morning and had the strongest run for that route for months, running it a full 2 mins faster than the Sunday before so I'm very, very pleased with myself. Having said that, my shifts are completely rubbish now til the middle of next week so will have to just enjoy that as a one-off for a while, but hey ho....it felt great at the time!!

• Well done on the run Mandie, glad to hear you had a good holiday Fiona.  Was it hot in Tenerife?  It was nice and warm in Benidorm, but cool when the sun went behind a cloud, and it poured it down on my first and last day.

I'm still feeling a bit fuzzy-headed and tired through due to my coughing keeping me awake at night.  Also after my 17.5 miles on Sunday I've now got pain behind my left knee, which I've never experienced before.  I won't run tonight and keep everything crossed that it's just a niggle that'll go ... I certainly wasn't running at any speed on Sunday, though if my defences were down maybe it's just took it out of me more than I thought?

Anyway, I came home from my holidays with 120euros, which has now been converted back to stirling, so hopefully tomorrow afternoon I shall be paying a visit to Start Fitness to get some new running shoes.

I usually run in Asics Nimbus, but I've heard bad reports of the 14s (though I love my 13s - but you can't get them in my size anymore) but Vicki recommended Saucony ProGrid Guides.  Any other suggestions welcome.

• Hi all - just back from a brisk run out in the sun and cold after four days of doing nothing. Mrs B took me to a remote cottage in North Yorkshire - lots of visiting English heritage sites (if youve never been to Rievaulx Abbey - highly recommended) and eating home cooked food from the farmers family who own the cottages - and no mobile signal either! Bliss!! Back to the grind now and mind back on the run

Have a good week folks!

• Afternoon all

Shielsy - it was lovely in Tenerife at least 23/24 every day.  It was quite breezy and even if the sun went behind a cloud it was fine during the day.  However, once dark it did get rather chilly so you needed a jumper or jacket.  We only had one very brief rain shower on our last night, but Tenerife doesn't get a lot of rain at all.

With regards to shoes, I have Nimbus 14s (3 pairs image) which I got to replace Nimbus 12 I don't find them a problem, although I don't like the fact they don't have the asymetrical lacing which I really found comfortable and the laces are really short so I can only just get them tied! On the whole tho' no problems even at the higher mileage I'm doing.

Blade - don't you just love that home from holiday feeling. image

• Interesting Shielsy - I had Nimbus 12's and 13's but found the 13's not as good as 12's so decided to go with Brooks Ghost 4's this time - however everyone who has got the 13's (including my running partner) say they are the best yet. Have to say though my Ghost 4's are so comfortable - did take a little time to get used to the slightly less cushioning but less weight makes up for that.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

I've always had Nimbus and have worn 14s for over 400 miles with no problems. Agree with Fiona about the short laces though. It makes doubling the bow for security quite hard. I replaced the laces for the new 14s with ones from a worn-out earlier version of Nimbus as they were a bit longer. 

• Graham - I've done the same using the bright red laces that my charity provide. I think they are supposed to represent blood vessels.  They are miles long so I can double bow with ease and then I have to tuck the rest in or it flaps everywhere.  It appears I can't win. image

• Blimey, I had to go back through the 'Events' forum to find the thread.
    It's a bit quiet around here! Has everyone gone on early holiday?

• But everyone else has gone on holiday, they all went to costa blanca together on a club 18-30 but they didnt invite me.

Which is strange as im the only one on here in the right age bracketimage
  • Evening all. When he says he's the right age for18:30, he means he has to be in bed by half-six.

Number arrived for North Tyneside today image Should be in good shape to enjoy the run, but I won't be setting any personal bests this time.

• Got m number today as well, still get excited for a race number !! Hows the achilles xl ?

Im feeling in really good shape for NT, will be aiming for a pb, just hope the wind isnt too strong on the day. Just ran part of the route tonight with he club andit was horrendous ! Hailstones and wind lashing into my face for 2 miles solid !
  • Apparently that weather is on its way over to us.....can someone please stop the Winter now, I'm bored of it!

I miss not getting race numbers, seems most are 'collect on the day' these days for me.

• Its freezing out there tonight - but great after the run eh? Looks like we're going to cop for another load of snow this weekend. Im with you Mandie R - had quite enough now too!