Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Hi Shielsy,well done on the 7 miles,running becomes a bit of a chore when its windy. Enjoy your taper time.

Good luck for Vlm OS,hope you have a great run.
  • Can you be too excited for something???? image

• Have a safe journey down Vixx,I found the butterflies really kicked in on the way to the expo.
  • Thanks Spongecake.

Vixx- just wait til you walk into the Expo and they are playing "that" music.  Sends shivers up your spineimage.

• Lazy weekend for me down in Bristol visiting my daughter Laura - will sneak a little 10 miler in tomorrow morning followed by a swim in hotel pool whilst Margie and Laura do some flat viewing and some shopping. At moment sat having a coffee whilst they are out at Hippodrome watching Prescilla Queen of the Dessert
  • Roy- the music they play on TV during the race!

• The music is 'The Trap' by Ron Goodwin (I think)

Though personally I think it sounds more like horse racing music.
  • If he's getting a royalty every time they play it at the Expo and on TV, he must have a few quid!  I've just been down to our parkrun and several other Londoners there too (all but one spectating).  Lots of encouragement and good wishes from the parkrunner family which is just what I need todayimage.

• Woohooo, cheque for Blaydon has been cashed.

I'll be "Gannin' alang the Scotswood Road", for Mick on 9th June.

Raising a glass to his memory in The Bridge afterwards, and chucking the price of a Guinness in a bucket for the hospice that cared for him.

Who's with me?

• Great news Xl,hope everyone else has the same luck.

Ive just shook hands with Tonythefridge on the quayside.Attempting to run 100 miles with a fridge on his back.Total Grade A Nutter.

Managed Chester-le-street parkrun this morning,beautiful weather to run in and so happy to be back running.Managed 4 runs this week,with a total of 13 miles.just got to build up nice and easy.

Just like to wish everyone running London this weekend the best of luck,I'll be cheering you all on from my setteeimage
  • XL- we'll both be up for a pint I think.

Up early and currently sitting on floor of hotel bathroom so as not to wake OH. Having a quick coffee and read of the paper before I go to breakfast.

Have a good day everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.

Race number 26896 if anyone wants to see how I'm going.
  • Good luck Fiona,have a great race
  • Good luck to all our mqrathoners today, cant wait toread some race reports
  • Good luck to all running London today,have a great time.

• Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Good luck to all the VLM runners today.  Hope you all have a great day. image

• Good luck Fiona and any other runners on here
  • Just wanted to say Good Luck to all running today, hope you have a great run and all get the times you want and have trained for! Will have the TV on all morning, watching and cheering everyone on.....

Shielsy, hope the tapering is going ok ready for next weekend.....

XL-man - I too will be 'gannin along the Scotswood Road' this year ( for the first time) although somewhat behind you!
  • All the very best to Fiona, Vixx, Old Shadowfax, James ... and anyone else I've forgotten who's running today ... I'm so excited for you all!

Didn't go to the South Shields 1st park run in the end as I remembered I was getting something delivered, so went out on Friday after work (in a vest, no less image) for a nice gentle 4 miles.

Will be spending the day assembling a flat pack wardrobe, doing my last 'long' (ie 8 miles, so not really long) run and keeping tabs on the London marathon.

• I've just seen my friend from running club cross the start line image !!!

That was a nasty collision with the wheelchairs, wasn't it?

• Nasty crash,its pretty bad planning having 20 mph wheelchairs overtaking elite runners,surely they should make the wheelchairs start first.Weather looks fantastic,hope it doesnt get to hot.
  • Hope it's going well for all our London marathoners.
    Thinking of you all.

Ridiculous planning, re wheelchairs.

Steady 7 miles this morning after a brisk parkrun yesterday.

21:12, my best run on the moor since August image

Pengwyn flying too, to another sub-27 and her 3rd best ever parkrun

• Just a flying visit from me today. I hardly seem to get chance to sit down these days.

VLM is on the tv - I saw the crash at the drinks station, albeit later on when they were all discussing it - not good at all.

Hope all our runners are doing well and enjoying the amazing atmosphere - the crowds have really come out in force haven't they?

I can imagine it being an extra emotional one this year, after Boston, but its great to see people-power winning over the terrorists!! 

Well done to XL and Pengwyn and enjoy your run, Shielsy.

• Well done at parkrun, XL.

I'm just back from a (yet another! image) windy 8 miles.  That's me done now - no more running, apart from maybe an easy jog mid-week, until next Sunday.  I'm now almost 100% convinced that it'll be windy for my marathon too, as the wind seems to pick up every single time I pull on my running shoes image.

Anyway, I've taken a look at some of the results and it looks like people have done really well image.

• Fiona - just seen your time wow that is cutting it fine but a brilliant sub 4 very well done.

Great running Vixx well done

Well done to others on here who did VLM today

• Hi everyone, im new to this site and to the GNR, running my first half marathon ever - so nervous. im a runner, well i used to be (middle distance) so 13.1miles is so far. anyway onto week6 of training and my fitness is defs coming back quick (i have a 1year old so not done alit fitness wise in 2 yr). 

anyway, im gunna follow this thread to hopefully gain tips and confidence as the event gets closer image . my current 5K is around 23mins thats all i have thus far . i would like to finish the GNR under 1:50 (got a 'normal' race number but i decided to raise  bit of cash anyway to try help cancer research - every little helps)

good night and well done to all VLM runners 

• Morning everyone,

Well done to all our marathoners, tthink i've checked everyones times and they are all fantastic. Also old forumite martin slater ran his first mara yesterday and managed a sub 3hour !!

I ran a far more sensible 5k yesterday, the terry o'gara memorial race and would reccomend it to anyone local, was nice to see stringy marshalling but not a great race for me, seem to be struggling for energy still and ran a 20:44. Started well and finished ok but the middle bit was a real struggle, ive decided the training needs a kick up the backside as does the diet !
  • Good morning, everypeople

and welcome, MeShell. I'm sure you'll get loads of tips and suggestions here. Some of them may even be useful image  With a 5k time of 23 mins, you should be able to give 1:50 a good go. There's plenty of time to get your mileage up.

Congratulations to all our VLM runners image This may be the only time in your running careers that you'll be able to say you beat a double Olympic champion !
    London Marathon 2013: Mo Farah DNF

Well done on your 8 miler, Shielsy. Is it the Sunderland marathon that you're doing? image If putting your shoes on makes it windy, there is an obvious solution. Seriously though, I hope you have a restful week, and hit the start line raring to go on Sunday.

I added another 7 miles to the log on Sunday after the parkrun effort. May go out for a couple of short midweek runs, then we'll see if I can get close to 45 mins again at the Kirkley Hall 10k on Sunday. Just over 6 miles, a much more sensible number without that silly little 2 in front image

Have a great week everyone. Looking forward to reading some marathon tales.