Base building

Comments

• yep - a lot of people try to run 10 mile faster before they are capable of running 10 mile easily
  • Hi there,
    The emphasis placed by Hadd on base-building makes sense, but the problem I have is that it seems to partially ignore the issue of neuro-muscular coordination training needed to run at pace. Therefore, a long period without pace work would worry me, as (in effect) the body "forgets" how to run at close to race pace. There is also the psychological value in reminding oneself of what race pace feels like, so that race pace on the day is not too unfamiliar. Then there is the issue of lactate threshold training - which doesnt figure too much in the Hadd approach.
    I agree with WW that periodisation is a important, and I think the challenge for me is finding the balance between running a decent base of controlled aerobic miles, with a changing, but much smaller percentage level of "pace" mileage.
  • I built up my base over one winter by doing the 70% running during the week, running 5 miles, 8 miles on alternate days, then racing in the cross country league races a couple of times a month as speedwork. When the warmer weather came i started re-introducing speedwork a couple of days a week and found it had made a good difference. I managed to take my 5 miles PB from just over 35 mins to 33.51 and hope to take it lower this year, after doing more 'basework' this winter.
  • If you want to improve you need to have a solid base of mileage, otherwise any kind of speed work will not be effective.

Do a test. If you can't run 2 miles in 12 minutes then you are not properly aerobically developed. Built up your mileage slowly and you will see results.

Also apply macro and micro cycles. Means build up the mileage in the winter and cut back during summer and do a race in the weekend.

I ran quite a lot in the winter (80m/w) but only ran (40m/w) during summer and still managed to signifantly lower down my PB to 35 mins over 10k.
  • Urban Road Runner, you can't really be serious about having to run 2 miles in 12 mins, does this apply to men and women?
  • I wish I could run one mile in six minutes!!
  • If six minutes/mile is too ambitious for you go on the treadmill and try to do a 7 min/mile. Or run a mile as fast as you can. If you end up with 8:30+min/mile you clearly not aerobically developed.

My point is, there are many runners training for years, but they never improve much/at all and stay more or less always at the same level.

• My best mile run is still over 7mins. But then I have been told I'm not aerobiclly develped.
    Ironically my last PBs was during my marathon training in the spring. I did lots of long slow runs then! Since an injury I have tried the fast track approach to fitness with mostly fast running (even the long runs!). That will now stop and I will now train correctly.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    What i find very difficult is that running clubs simply tend to rotate around a weekly cycle of (in my case) hills, speedwork and a long run. None of the coaches have ever suggested periodisation or base training & in fact I'm pretty sure the senior men's coach reckons you need to do speed work every week or you lose it.

As a result I think all this base training is going to be fairly solitary.

btw URR - shouldn't the emphasis be on what how long you can last at various %ages of your HRmax rather than a particular m/mile pace? i.e. if you can run an hour easily at 20bpm below max then you probably do have a good aerobic base, otherwise not.

• SR - What's your marathon PB? What was your weekly mileage during the build up?

In my opinion the slower long runs was a step into the right direction. This would have resulted in a solid base and lowers your aerobic threshold.
  • I have been running for just 16 months and doing a marathon within a year was not a good idea! I go an injury during the race and walked the last half and did it in 4.52. During the build up I was doing about 40miles max a week.
  • Chaos - I am not a big fan of running clubs and do most of the training on my own. For example, the training schedule is often very static as you mention. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, everybody has different strength and weaknesses. Often a training run turns into a race and you get pushed into a pace you are not comfortable with.

The max. HR approach gives a good indication, I think it is max HR = 220-age, 20bpm lower than that would be race tempo and you would run just a bit under your anaerobic threshold. In order to run for an hour at that level you need to be in a very good condition. Hence, if you struggle already with a 7min/mile you would not be able to hold the level for an hour, you would run above your anaerobic threshold producing lactic acid which would result in
    a drop of pace.
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Good point, if you can do an hour easily at 20 below then you are in exceptional (not just "good") condition. Anything else though and it's an indication that you can still work on your base, according to Hadd anyway.

I'd totally agree with the club run turning into a race thing - the trouble is that I get much more motivated to run with the club than i do on my own. May have to just compromise and only do the club long run.
  • Yep - Fitness has nothing to do with speed - I ave 92%MHR for a 10k road race (Very fit) bit it still takes me 48mins (Slow)

Just because someone is faster than me does not make them fitter
  • ... that sounds a pretty wild. Are you able to walk afterwards? How do you recover? 48 minutes in anaerobic zone must produce execissive amounts of lactic acid.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    The problem I have with all of this is that presumably if you wish to build base mileage you will be needing to run a lot of miles a week, albeit at a slow pace. At most I could probably aim to build to about 5-6 miles three times during the week with a long run of 10 miles plus at the weekend. I just don't have time for more. Is this enough mileage for this type of training to work?

And how do I run slower? I know that sounds crazy, but last night I ran with the intention of doing a nice gentle 4 miles after the previous evening's 5 miles at tempo pace (8:18). Even though the run didn't feel fast and my breathing wasn't laboured, my average pace was 8:22 - only 4 seconds per mile slower than tempo pace, yet was supposed to be easy! I really seem to be completely incapable of 'feeling' pace. Short of buying a HRM, is there any other way of judging my pace more effectively? I suppose I could mark the mile points on all my runs and try to make sure that I get to each within a given time.
  • It's likely that WW's aerobic conditioning is such that he is able to maintain around 90% MHR within his aerobic zone - 10K pace is very close to the lactate turnpoint (or anaerobic threshold if you prefer) and probably exceeds this in the final push to the line.

I think the key is that where the turnpoint occurs will be at varying percentages of MHR depending on aerobic fitness.

WW - maybe it's time to start introducing a bit of speedwork (if it fits in with your Ironman ambitions of course).
  • Minkin doing 70% MHR will seem ridiculously leisurely. For me it is a slow jog.
  • Minkin - Your weekly mileage is approx. 28 miles/week. This is not enough stress for the body and I would be suprised if you would make major improvements over the next months. You can only improve when you are committed and dedicated.

Regarding running slow, simply run 1 minute/mile slower than your race pace.

The best way I found for pacing is running on the treadmill and partipating in races, you will then get pretty quickly a good feeling what pace your are running.

Leave the watch at home, otherwise you are already in stress while running. During training I only use the watch for how long I run. You train to race and not race to train (at least I do).
  • URR..I want to get under 47mins for 10K and 82mins for 10 mile races. I currently run about 25 miles a week. What should my target be?
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    URR - I don't think it's fair to assume that just because someone is running less than 30 miles a week they are not committed or dedicated.

I think improvements are possible even without high weekly mileage, but they probably won't be as dramatic. The point is we all have to work around the time pressures the rest of our life puts on us. If you're able to run 80+ miles a week, then that's great and good luck - but not all of us can afford the luxury of that much time spent running. I am aware of the fact that I would see greater improvement with more miles in the bank and more time spent running, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain amount of improvement within the limitations one may be forced to impose on oneself.

• Minkin - I thought this thread was about "building base". Of course you are right and you can always improve. However, without a solid base and unfortunately this means running around 50-60 m/week you will not improve much and will stay always at the same level.

SR - Setting goals is good at least you have something to work towards. Unfortunately I can not give you a number x and this is what you should run every week. You have to experiment a bit on how much you can cope with and rest days. Important to run on a regular basis and increase mileage slowly, more important is to stay injury free. Maybe for a start try do the 5k in 23 minutes and build your way up, once you can comfortably do the 5k you can attack your 10k time. When you go out for a run try to run at least for 1h (easy), 30min sessions are not enough stress for the body. At this point I would stay away from hill work, risk of injury is too high. A speed session on the treadmill aim 30 mins at 7 min/mile would help.
  • Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    I have been base training for 4 years now in periods and totally believe it is the best way to improve your running.
    Typically if I have had a long lay off I will do nothing but runs at between 150-155 bpm for around 3 months. (Minkin - get a HR monitor - judging how hard your running by how out of breath you are is a false indicator: when I am unfit 155 bpm has me out of breath, now I am fitter I can do around 170bpm and hardly be out of breath at all).
    Yes you do have to slow to a crawl at times and it can be frustrating but the rewards are evident. On an 11 mile route I do, last year I had a time of 1:34 with an average bpm of 154. Now with 3 months of base training and 8 months of weekly training with at least two base training runs a week I can do the same route in 1:17 with an average of 152bpm.
    An added benefit of doing a solid stretch of base training is that you are less likely to pick up injuries as you are not pushing your untrained body beyond its limits.
    The non scientific way I see base training is that normally when we run we give muscles the oxygen and energy it demands by increasing the blood supply through raised HR.
    When you enforce a lower than usual HR on your body at first it doesn't like it as it cannot cope without the extra oxygen and stuff it demands. But with repeated base training runs you teach your body to 'run lean' and to make better use of the oxygen etc you give it.
    Then when it comes to something like a race and you send your HR sky high the muscles suddenly receive a 'richer' supply of oxygen which in terms allows you to run faster and for longer.
    That may not be exactly how it works but its the way I like to look at it and I know it works for me!
  • URR - I disagree about the need to run 50-60 miles per week to improve. Running consistently for a number of years (at whatever mileage) should result in continued improvements.
    Bigger mileages should lead to bigger improvements, but to say that somebody running 30 or 40 miles CONSISTENTLY week after week will not improve is plain wrong.
  • UUR - I have a very High LT and enlarged left ventricle (which helps) - its one of my few blessing in my sporting ability

And as has been stated here your average HR for a 10k is normally your LT _ i try to run an even effort just below this for the first 8k then go for it and colapse at the finish

I also have a realy fast HR recovery rate (also atributable to large left ventricle) - I stop running and my HR plumets very quickly

:o)
  • TT - i agree - and if you are a 10k or 10mile runner you dont need lots of miles to improve your speed - good quality structured sessions will have a greater effect on speed (track sessions, hill sets etc) - But this should be during BUILD rather than BASE
  • Also base training is not pace driven - it is effort driven
  • Go-KL - Couldn't agree more, I ran 80 m/week average in Jan/Feb/April, then cut back. During the summer over the period of 12 weeks I improved my 10k from 38:30 downto 35:43. Sorry, without base training this is simply impossible. The clock doesn't lie.

TwoTon - I agree with your point, you refer to total lifetime mileage. Someone who has been running high mileage over years can still improve by running a bit less, his session will possibly look a bit different, doing intervalls etc.
  • UUR - A great improvement - I'm aiming for sub 45 next season - nut my prority will be with my 'A' Races which are all long, so i'll have to see how it goes

My 'A' Races are:
    FLM
    The Longest Day (IM Tri)
    Ironman Florida
  • WW - Do you get an VO2Max boost with the enlarged ventrical? Your heart must be able to pump around huge volumes of blood, maybe x% more than the average person! Really suprised about your 10k time. I know you cycle a lot, do you have different muscle groups/thighs, which are not benefical on the run?