Options

Base building

Comments

• Options
    UUR - I'm a big guy so I carry a lot of weight

I think I'm more suited to endurance than speed

The main thing is I enjoy it - I may never be fast but I have fun getting there

My strongest event is the swim - I always finish a lot highe up the feild in the swim than the bike and the run (But I have take over 10% off my bike times this year)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    My dad had an enlarged heart, and regularly use to dive for six minutes on a single breath. That was long before they made it a sport, gave it a name and made it trendy.

The docs also told us that's why he survived so long in the last stages of his illness.

That wasn't meant to be depressing - just to echo that having big heart thingies is A Good Thing.

:o)
  • Options
    Gosh, interesting reading.

Minkin - I am slow, had to learn to run slower. These helped me:

-Think of resting each foot for a fraction of a second before putting it down, then think about putting it down ever so carefully.

-Practice, at the end of faster runs deliberately slowing up, then after a hundred yards or so, slow up again, holding the pace.

I found I've developed a number of "gears" at which I am comfortable, slowest ones ("go forever pace") included, but they take practice.

Warning: if you take out a much slower friend, that can work too, provided you run a respectable metre or two behind him/her, otherwise, you'll kill your friend.

Jane, the run 2 miles in 12 minutes test. Those folks weren't thinking of us. It would be nice if someone could come up with a scaling that would be meaningful for us, but, as usual, imagination and improvisation is required.

Nonetheless, all the bits about base make sense. And even I can see some improvement throught the Abingdon efforts.

I think I'll work on the base and skip the peak bit of it. It would be more of a barely perceptable rise than a peak for me anyhow.
  • Options
    Regarding the point about running clubs revolving around set sessions, I agree to a point. However, there are over a dozen runners in our `group' ranging from 32 min 10kers to 38 mins.

Therefore as long as you don't get into a race at the front and hang back with the slower ones then you can get a steady run whilst they're working harder. That's my plan for the winter.

Plus there's always a few who don't want to do speedwork due to a race coming up / just raced / injury or just don't fancy it.

I'd rather run round Barnsley with my mates then plod out every night with my HRM for company.
  • Options
    there are plenty of us plodder to keep each other company :o)
  • Options
    Is there something i can read on this please
  • Options
    What would you like to read?
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    BarnsleyRunner: I agree that running with a group is more fun than running alone and you can, if you are doing base training, simply stick yourself in a slower group. You do however have to be very disciplined as whenever I run with a club, no matter the ability group I run in and whatever everybodies intentions were to 'go easy' were: sooner or later in the run the pace of the group will rise. You then have a choice, do I let them run off in the distance and stick to my base pace or do you go with them and break 'the rules' of base training?
    It is for this reason I prefer to do my 'base training' runs and any runs where I keep my HR lower than usual alone and run at the club with a group when I am happy to run at a freer (Usually faster) pace.
    Nothing wrong at all with running at a club (thoroughly recommend it infact): just doesn't work when running to a set HR.
  • Options
    Crikey this thread has moved on since yesterday...

must catch up with what has been said

one query i have about this hadd guy he seems to advicate running at least 50 miles a week is this absolutely necessary it just seems a lot esp when i'm just concentrating on distances up to 10k, i do plan to run a marathon but not for a little while yet.

apologies if this question has been answered in the last 24 hours

stonking good thread though
  • Options
    Run as much as you can. John Mayock does 100+ mpw to race 3000m.

The more you run the better you get.
  • Options
    I'm not and advocate of huge miles - quality is better than quantity

But if you do go the loads of miles route - dont over train or risk repetitve stress type injuries
  • Options
    But does John Mayock have a day job

Remember reading once an American runner can't remember his name said no one is going to beat me who does a 40 hour week.

• Options
    No he is a full time runner.

WW, isn't this the whole crux of the thread? Quality is only better when done as part of a structured programme? I've tried to do 3/4 `quality' runs every week for 2 years.

I'm happy for winter to cut this down to 1/2 - long run and tempo run.

Therefore the quantity can increase before I reintroduce speedwork. In effect the quality will be the quantity I plan to do.
  • Options
    Pammie - This was the great Bill Rodgers (aka King of the Roads). He dominated NYC and Boston marathon for many years. Interesting character, there is a chapter written about him in "Running with the Legends". He was previously a college runner, stopped, later became unemployed and picked up running again. He was an advocate of running huge mileage up to 180mpw, Frank Shorter was pretty similar.

I am also advocate of huge miles. The quality vs. junk miles discussion is in my opinion nonsense, because exactly those couple of slower miles will help you in the marathon.

BTW Haile Gebresellase has a day job too and he runs 26:xx :) As far as I know he runs some sort of property development company.
  • Options
    BR - Yep - your right - but theres isa endurance training and long runing then there is doing realy lots of miles

I know its a personal thing - and your training obviously works for you ( I read your posts)

its just finding what is right for you - if you know what i mean

for me weekly Base training (The run segment of it) roughly comprises of :
    1 Overdistance run (12 or 20miles)
    1 Endurance run (8-10 miles)
    1 Track or Hill session (4-6mile) - speed session
    1 short run at overdistance pace (3mile)

What do you look at as your base training?
  • Options
    Erm, it has been:-

1 long run 15-24 miles depending on marathon cycle - this can go if there is a race.

1 interval session

1 hill or tempo type run

1 fartlek (this goes if I'm racing Sunday)

From next week it should be:-

1 long run

1 tempo / hardish club run

lots of 155 HR runs, morning and evening.

Then I'll bring in the hills in December and the intervals in February. We do a hilly club run where we sprint up the hills. I'm looking to hold back on these a bit this year.
  • Options
    BR - Where i live all runs are hilly -

our road race is classed as the 2nd hardest 10miler in the UK - but the police have withdrawn permition this year so we're having to come up with a new route

• Options
    Do you need police permission? Is that because of road closures?
  • Options
    We could run it without permision but we normally have police support (two of the roads we used to use have become accident blackspots) - we will be closing 4 minor roads on the new route - we never closed any on the old - the new route is nice an challenging too - but not the really hilly one i wanted to choose
  • Options
    Great thread SR.
    My own experience of base training has been very positive, even though I have never raced further than 1/2 marathon. I have built up a base over three months for each of the last two winters, and really improved my times the next season as a result.
    BR, I think the point is not how far John Mayock races, but how many miles a week he's doing in his quality phase when he's peaking for races - more than most club runners when they're training for 10k I'd guess. IMHO, the important thing is to do a greatly, but gradually, increased number of miles than you yourself would do in your racing season, and to run the vast majority of them aerobically. Therefore, what is mileage in a base phase for you is relative to what you do in the rest of the year.
  • Options
    boinged for juststartin
  • Options
    I did a ten mile aerobic run yesterday it took me nearly 2 hours but I did manage to keep my HR under 70% for most of the run. The best bit was getting home knowing I had a good session and enjoying every minute of it!
  • Options
    good stuff SR - i find these runs give me a chance to enjoy what is out there
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    This continues to be a very interesting thread, and I am beginning to see the wisdom of a cyclical approach to training. It strikes me that my training to date has been approached in a somewhat ad-hoc way. I read a lot, and have tried to incorporate a balance of easy and 'quality' sessions into my schedule each week. However, I confess that although I do this, I am not always totally sure about WHY I'm doing it.

What is also clear to me is that although I can run comparatively quickly for a relative novice (total of 17 months running) I do lack stamina. I believe that I would benefit from a base building period, and I think I'll start this once the Windsor half is over in two weeks' time.

The question really is how to get from where I am now to building up sufficient mileage to benefit from a base building phase? I currently run 4 times a week (I could push this to 5 at an absolute maximum but no more if I want to keep my boyfriend!)

My current schedule is along the following lines:

Monday: 4 miles recovery run.
    Wednesday: 5-6 miles tempo.
    Friday: 3 miles quite fast.
    Sunday: Long run of anywhere between 9 and 12 miles currently (I've run mostly 5-10K races up until now; the Windsor half will be my first).

How do I gradually increase my mileage to base-building levels without injuring myself? I know the general rules about no more than 10% per week but can I increase more than this if the pace is very slow?

What would be the best way to proceed? And how many miles a week should I realistically be aiming at? I don't think 80+ is a possibility at my current stage of running.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this as I'm keen to give this a try. It makes a lot of sense and I will be interested to review my progress.
  • Options
    HRM for £19 go to www.maplan.co.uk
  • Options

When starting off with basebuilding is it preferable to build mileage by adding more days or lengthening the runs first? I'm currently running about 20 miles a week  - although measuring it by time not distance - so this week is:

Mon 30 min

Tue 45min

Wed rest

Thur 45 min

Fri 30 min

Sat 60 min

Sun rest

Eventually I guess the idea is that I'm running 5-6 days a week around an hour each time, with a perhaps 90min/2hour run at the weekend. I should add that I'm pretty slow and these runs are all mostly within a pretty comfortable pace. I have a HR monitor with my Garmin, but I don't rate the accuracy of it, and I don't find it comfortable to wear, and frankly at this level I think perceived effort is a sound enough guide. If im getting breathless then I'm going too fast and I'll slow down.

So, I'd like to develop aerobic fitness as much as possible until xmas, then I plan to start a 16 week marathon training plan in Jan for an April Marathon in Manchester. What is the best use of my time between now and xmas/new year to make the best aerobic/endurance improvements?

• Options

A 9 year old thread revived image

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Still, a decent question.

My first thought is lengthen the runs, AgentGinger, instead of adding days.  This is because I'm assuming you're new to base building and therefore not 'training low' or anything like that.  It takes a while to start reaping the benefits of slower, aerobic running in each run, and you want to maximise that, so run a little further.

Running more often though will help to injury proof you and improve your recovery times as you strengthen.  So sometimes runners will run more before running longer.  Usually we're talking about doubles though, so going back to your case as it looks I would still go for longer first.

• Options

Cheers Ratzer, appreciate it. I'm new to base building, you're right. I completed a marathon once before (Brighton 2010) but with little and sporadic "training" and the time demonstrated that. I've barely run since, but I'm keen to make it stick this time, and I think the way to do that is to invest the time to get properly running fit, which will no doubt take a few years. The marathon I've entered next April is really just to give me some short term goal, but the aim is to continue beyond that, by making running just another part of my life.