Bath Half Marathon

Comments

• Why would you cheat and try and get away with it? Youd just say - Oh I couldnt finish so i ran to the end. Maybe that is what these people were doing. There is afterall only one route back to freinds and family? Im sure none deliberatelt tries to fool the race timers - or am I being terribly naive?
  • cheers diff
    I owe you i beer at the next event we re both at.
  • No probs Rob.
    I know what it's like waiting for the results when you know they are out.
  • Rob,

So you were just 8 places behind me and 10 seconds ish! Can you believe it? News on City of Salisbury to follow tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Tony
  • Diff
    If you're still on line, did I get in under 1;28 or not? I'm not sure of my exact time as I rather fumbled my stopwatch at the start 'cos my fingers were shaking. #3574, with chip&loop fully intact! Around 1:28 dead.
    Regards
    John Holland
  • Just seen on the web site...

"The provisional results from yesterday's race are available in a special supplement in tonight's Bath Chronicle, which will be posted in the next few days to all those who pre-ordered a copy. They will also be posted on the website shortly. Due to sickness in the office (hospital stay for the race director's son - not serious - and flu/exhaustion for the race secretary) there will be a slight delay in posting these provisional results, and in carrying out the necessary audit before we can confirm the team and category results. Please bear with us

Our sincere apologies for the late arrival of runners' race packs, due to late delivery to us of the numbers. We were intending to mail out to you in the second week in February, but the bulk of the race numbers were not received until the end of the month. The first 5,000 race packs were mailed out on 1st/2nd March, some arrived within 1-2 days but we know of some that have taken up to 10 days, and others that have failed to arrive at all

Our apologies also for poor response to phone calls and e-mail enquiries. This is a small office and although we have been working very hard to respond we have been overwhelmed with enquiries regarding late arrival of race numbers, the vast majority of which have now arrived safely

Finally our apologies to the unfortunate final group of 750 runners whose race numbers were not delivered to us until 5th March and who we had to write to asking them to collect their numbers from the registration desk in the Pavilion (next to the Sports Centre) between 8.00 and 10.00am on the day (or from our information tent from 10.00am to 4.00pm at the Family Sports Day today"

At least 3 apologies there !!

t

PSs..

- Boy Wonder ; living up to your name ?!

- Special Get Well wishes and thanks to the Race director (hope your son is OK..). Sounds like you've had one hell of a week !

- The first race I've ever done where my shoulders/arms (not legs..) were stiff the day after !

- People of Bath ; thanks for letting us run amok in your fine city yesterday ; especially the residents of the house with the music booming out (~mile 2-3 ?)

- Where was The Piper this year ? Presumably these things not waterproof !

- Minty aeros ; yummmmmmmmmmmm
  • This is my first message here, my first half marathon ever and I'm still chuffed to bits for having finished in around 1:50 or so (don't know my exact time yet along with most others). I was hoping for 1:45, but didn't see a mile marker until mile 5 when I realised that I had been going WAY too slow (I knew it felt too easy). Still, having had a tummy bug the previous weekend, a cold on the day and a baby that had me up four times the night before the race are all excellent excuses!

Thinking now about the Bristol half but don't know much about it. Is it flatter and therefore generally faster than Bath?

O... and I'm not Henry Logan, but his wife!
  • RuthE Thanks for finding out my time and position. Thats very sweet of you. You know you might be right about the smoking and drinking-I was thinking of adding the extra bottle of wine to my daily runner's diet along with a few extra G&Ts !!!! Thanks once again.
  • that is weird tony as we must have been in the finishing straight and the funnel afterwards atteh same time and still didnt see each other!!

You'd better wear a pink tshirt with yellow spots and matching hat next time Tony.

Are you going to email me details of Salisbury or post on here? either will do.
  • John,

You got 1:28:03. Pos. 254. What a shame. You just missed a sub-1:28.

Alan
  • Thanks a bundle mate.
    Actually I'm not disappointed in the least. My target was 1:30, and I smashed my previous PB by the massive margin of 4 min 18 sec.

I'm over the moon with this one, the race went to plan, and it should set me up nicely for an attempt at 3:15 at London.

• Any chance of a time for 125 (just under 1:23) and 3099, just under 1:30.

Cheers
  • Fiona,

I need the names I'm afraid.

Alan
  • Hey Alan! Was it you who thought the slow runners were laughing at you? Maybe they were laughing at themselves? It is quite funny when you are plodding along puffing panting and thinking you are speedy Gonzalas and then you get lapped by someone running at a pace you couldnt manage for 10 metres. Just a thought....
  • Ruth,

Maybe you are right. Maybe I was a bit harsh and maybe I should take it as a kind of compliment! On the other hand, the idea that fellow runners were clearly laughing at *my* agony (I was making lots of noises), suggests a kind of stigma around pushing onseself to the limit. If that is the correct reading then I find the reaction a problem.

Alan
  • Aha! A bit more information to clarify the picture.

Very noisy runners do sometimes raise a smile, it's true. But no, people aren't "laughing at *your* agony". They're laughing at the noise you're making - usually on the grounds that it sounds like someone having a very loud orgasm.

Quite an important distinction to understand.
  • Alan, people used to laugh at Paula swinging her head around....................... nuff said!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Blister's, I was only trying to have a bit of a laugh to get me round.

Got my number wrong, can anyone get my time? Number 2239, about 2 hours. Anyone help?
  • Ken - results are now up on the website...
  • well going by the results on the web site either my watch is WAY out or the chip system used aint that great.. a 30 second difference. I know they 'scaned' us in at the end but something ain't right.. (still a pb so I'm not that bothered)
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Where is the website?
  • Alan - thanks for taking over the race results look-up after I went last night - the provisional results are now available on the race website.

I had heard about the Race Director's son being hospitalised on Sunday night but obviously didn't want to make this known to all - I believe he's OK but best wishes to Andrew and Mel and family (and all in the race office trying to pick up the pieces).

If anyone wants to post or e-mail constructive suggestions on how the race can be improved next year, I will add them to some thoughts of my own and pass them onto Andrew in due course at our debriefing.
  • No on-line access yesterday, so my first chance to comment on this.

Think it's all been said, but for the record I definitely fall into the "could do better camp" on this event.

Ran 1:29:10 (gun time) coming back from injury, so happy with that, having done nothing for 2 weeks prior.

Great to meet a few forumites beforehand (and during, and after - SPANS!), well done to all (racers and supporters) who toughed it out in some fairly miserable conditions.
  • That's a brave request for more infomation Boy Wonder!

I presume that you will be having a post event de-briefing amongst the team once the dust has settled. That will give us a cut-off date for feedback. Why not set that up your request as a separate thread on the Events section?

(Just to save mixing information in a very busy thread)
  • lexi tate, the results are guntimes not chip times thus the difference

Boy Wonder - thanks for being here and taking the flack, will put something together for you.

Best wishes to the race directors family
  • D'oh having just re-read the web site it's gun times at the moment which explains the 'lost' time.. need more coffee..
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    my time is down as the time when I crossed the finish line 2h00m09s, it took me at least 30s to get across start line, so it hasn't worked for me.
  • ken - see my last message above
  • Blisters - good idea - new thread now running -away you all go.