Options

Base Training

Comments

• Options
    Trini...I have every confidence in you...it's downhill this year, eh?
  • Options
    Well - another 10K completed this morning (Natterjack Seaside 10K in Southport)- my times are getting slower (1.11.11) - I did however run this one without walking which is a first for a while although I managed to run faster with the run/walk technique.

I'm disappointed with the time - I'm way off my pb of 1:06 - I just can't seem to get anywhere near it - I'm not sure if the 'problem' (if that is the right word) is physical or psychological and I'm really not sure how to go about fixing it. Somewhere deep down I think I must be able to improve but just don't know how!!

Help???!!!!

At least I played great badminton this week!!!!! Maybe that's it - the running is getting worse but the badminton is finally improving after 12 years - every cloud has a silver lining....
  • Options
    Susie...what is your weekly milage Perhaps upping this a little, whilst keeping it easy, will help to increase your LT, thereby improving your times? I know this is basic Hadd theory..so sorry if it is a bit obvious...
  • Options
    DF - Yep, not sure what that means in terms of height. Over 90km can't make that much of a difference, but every little counts!

Susie - same Q as DF how many times are you running and what mileage are you doing per week?
  • Options
    *Spud peeks into the base training room...*

Is there anybody at the beginning of base training?

I have just started and I am feeling a bit lonely at the moment.
  • Options
    Hi all

somehow missed the resurrection of this thread.

I have been forced back into base training after the summer. Been under severe stress at work. Doc wanted to sign me off for 8 weeks and put me on anti-depressants, but convinced him not to, and let me sort things out at work. Anyway, the stress and a virus threw my heartrate up, so I cut back on running and am just starting out with a winter of base training ahead of me. Heartrate still a bit higher than at the start of the summer, but lower than a few weeks ago.

So I am now working on 45-60 minutes runs at 70%
  • Options
    Welcome back DR - have you managed to sort your problems out with work?

To answer the mileage question - it's somewhere between 15 and 20 - I guess this answers my own question - it's not enough is it?
  • Options
    Hi susie

the 15-20 miles is this across 2 or 3 or 4 runs a week? Base thinking would try to get you to the point where you can comfortably run an hour a day without your heartrate creeping up during the run. I suspect that your 15-20 miles is not getting you near that point at the moment. Have you tried adding 5 minutes to your daily run every week, so that you gradually build up time on feet?
  • Options
    Base Training sounds like a marvellous idea, and when I find a time-machine to give me an extra 90mins in each day, I will definitely take it up ;o)
  • Options
    Hi Spud! How's life?

I'm slowly building my mileage up at the moment - this was my first week of running post-marathon, and I did 22 miles. My plan is to increase my daily runs to work, whilst leaving the weekends free for the family. I reckon 8 miles a day is comfortable, so that's 40 miles a week.

That's almost as much as my longest week on my marathon schedule, but wihtout the 20-milers at the weekend.

The plan is to run this sort of mileage throughout 2007, with the odd marathon and ultra thrown in for fun, and then train properly for that sub-4 marathon (yet again) in 2008. But this time it'll be with a decent fitness base.
  • Options
    Hello all.

Just done first HM and want to build a good base over the winter. Can someone please give me some advice as to the best way to do it.
    1. Should I do only runs at <70% to get maximum aerobic benefit?
    2. Will 2 months base training of 25 -30 miles be enough before I start to introduce tempo/hill/interval runs?
    3. Is there any benefit or otherwise from doing aerobic/base training at say 60/65% instead of 70%?
    4. Will the introduction of a tempo/hill/interval adversely affect base building early on?

Any advice will be much appreciated:o)
  • Options
    Hi SVT,

How are you and the family?

I am just coming back after 13 monts off running. It is sooo difficult to come back.

Well done on your marathon!
  • Options
    Hello all, I am hoping for a little guidance.

I am trying to follow HR base training principals and finding it very slow. I have been doing it for about 6 weeks and although my average speed does not seem to be increasing I am no longer having to walk up hills (although it is very very slow).

I am 29 and my HR has reached 192, although not sure that this is my max. Been working on doing runs at 151 HR or less - according to stuff following article in RW mag (last month).

I worked out my HR %s tonight and 80% is 153 which is nothing likes how it feels. It feels like 4 or at most 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for effort.

My average on the GNR was 177, which is over 90%! This seems high for a hard but comfortable run, where my legs were good, no sign of lactic acid, and I didn't ache following it. It certainly didn't feel like I was working anaerobically the whole time!

Can anyone help me out with this as the whole idea seems to be really worth while.

Thanks
  • Options
    SS

You may find that your max HR is higher than the 192. How did you get this figure? The best thing to do is to complete a test to find the true maximum figure. Do not rely on the various formulae that are around. These are based on average figures. Because they are an average they are a mid point, and half the population will be above and half below the figures. Try running up a hill for 2 minutes, jog gently down, then repeat twice more. On the third time up the hill run as hard as you can. You will find that this should give you a maximum value, it may peak a few seconds after you stop at the top.
  • Options
    Thanks - the 192 I have already is the highest I have ever seen my HR hit but I have never performed a test - that was when running a bleep test at college in a cold hall with a cold!

I'll try the hill test soon.
  • Options
    Cos i am upping my miles
    the 11 maras in 11 weeks is over
    i survived

end of time for excuses
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    and I'm back base training too and loving it.

Hippo - what sort of mileage are you aiming for? and you didn't just survive, you excelled

I'm just about to start on of the girls in my group on BT, she's bought a Garmin with HRM
  • Options
    Im a bit scared to say shades
    i case i cant
    Im having brain issues
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Course you can say. Putting it in black and white helps, I always say what I'm aiming for, keeps me focussed and stops me making excuses to myself not to do it.

Mileage plan for me
    w/e 19/11 40m
    w/e 26/11 51m
    w/e 3/12 59m
    w/e 10/12 71m
    w.e 17/12 78m
    w/e 24/12 88m
    w/e 31/12 102m
    w/e 7/1 88m
    Then 2 x 80m weeks then drop the mileage to about 70m and do a little bit of speedwork, but only some runs at 80-85%MHR and some hill sessions and mile reps.

That's the plan but we will see how it all pans out.
  • Options
    Shades

Pleased to see this thread showing some life again. Just got back from a week in Croatia with work. Ran a couple of days, but paths and traffice not very runner friendly.

If we are into posting up our plans for the rest of the year, this is my schedule as I hope to build up to a run at Lochaber. Not as impressive as yours, but about right given my current commitments:

w/e 26/11 62m
    w/e 3/12 49m
    w/e 10/12 64m
    w/e 17/12 65m
    w/e 24/12 67m
    w/e 31/12 69m
    w/e 7/1 55m
    w/e 14/1 69m

The majority of this at 70%, with one run a week at 80% and the odd reps session every few weeks
  • Options
    well
    ok
    55-60 mpw

gulp
  • Options
    Wow! I just popped back on the website and I find this gem is still running...

Good luck to all basers! It worked for me and for a lot of others, in fact I still do base training most of the time and I'm just starting to build my mileage again in preparation for FLM.

Sadly it didn't seem to work for a certain hippo but that's another story...

Hipps...did you really do 11 maras in 11 weeks???

OK, I'm off again...byeeeeee!!!
  • Options
    ratbag

it did work for me
    I pbd twice in thos 11 maras in 11 weeks
    and i havent had a day off running since April 1st
  • Options
    ...Hipps...I apologise as that was the last thing I remember from when I was on here before....

Brilliant work to do those maras and 2 PBs as well!

I wish my running was as consistent as yours but sadly, I'm too easily sidetracked...

You doing FLM?
  • Options
    oh yes!

shows how long you have been away ratbag

last ghear my mileage was seriously down
    and it showwd in my race times
    also had a lot of crap at work
  • Options
    I'll try to come back more often....but I kinda got addicted to the forums and needed to wean myself off....I haven't been on much since last years Iron Man so I'm just surfing around the site to see what's new...

Hope to see you at FLM tho'. Would be good to catch up...I need to see about booking the Traffy Thistle again...
  • Options
    laughs manically
    dont we all get addicted!

the thistle is stupido price, but i shall be staying there
    kind of a tradition now

you doin reading?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hippo - I think 55 -60 mpw is a very achievable target for you and will reap rewards. After all you will need something to do during the marathon close season!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi DundeeRunner - well my goal race for 2007 is a 24hr track, hence the higher mileage. I'll be at Lochaber too.

Hi Ratbag - addicted to forums, whatever next. If only I spent as much time running as I do on the forum....