Base Training

Comments

• Wow Shades, 24 hour race, serious respect to you. Have you done this before? How do you cope with the lack of sleep?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DR - I've only done one 24 hour (last May), had a problem with blisters so pulled up at 20 hours (80 miles), would like next year to get as near the 100 as possible. I didn't have any real probs re lack of sleep except being tired and I hurt!!

re BT, week one completed, 41 miles, all OK although 12 mile run with a couple of friends on Sat was too fast for me (and was too fast for BT pace) made my injury a bit sore but is OK now.
  • Last week I only managed 21 miles, with being away and an early start on Saturday to take junior DR off to a competition, so I could only fit in a longest run of 7 miles this week. Managed 7 miles this morning, but wind was geting up and in the face for the majority of the run, so very hard work.

My plan is to start increasing the mileage now, and build a strong endurance base for the next eight weeks. In the new year I will start some speed sessions once I have the endurance.

Shades, do you know what caused the blisters? Can you take any steps to stop them appearing this time? Was that the only thing that stopped you?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Wrong socks with my shoes. They were Ok when I was running but I had to walk for nearly 40 mins waiting for an antacid tablet to work (forgot to schedule the antacid for every 12 hours, my error) and the walking caused the blisters. 12 hours of rain didn't help either. I didn't feel brilliant after 20 hours but I think if my feet hadn't been so sore I could have carried on and it was more painful to walk than run but I was struggling to have any energy to run. But I was happy with the distance I did and that didn't count as a DNF, so still finished 17th out of 41 which was OK for first attempt. I loved the event.
  • Hipps....will prob do Reading...must get my @rse in gear and start booking some races...

OK...off again now...byeee
  • Shades, in training for a 24 hour event is most of your work base stuff, or are you doing any speed work as well, I guess speed will be less of a concern, right? In your 100m weeks will you be doing some runs longer than a marathon?

I can understand the problem with wet feet and blisters, many years ago did a long distance walk and it rained everyday, so we were walking with wet socks and boots day-in day-out. It is not good for the feet. Is there any chance to change shoes and socks at regular intervals if it is wet during an event like this?
  • dundee runner
    you can have a sleep at a 24 hour race if you so wish

changing shoes ought not to be a problem
  • PH

What is the most you have run? I know you have done marathons and ultras, so have you done a 24hr race yet? I was toying with a 50 miler earlier in the year, but got a bad virus and could not properly train for it. If I could do a couple of them I might then think about moving up to a 24hr sometime in the future.
  • 52.4 miles
    i have done a 12 hour track race
    during which i had a few sit downs(and a gin)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DR - all my training will be at BT pace until I drop back down to 80mpw in Jan (see my post at top of page 575). Longest single run for training will be 24 miles on a hilly course.

At the 24 hour I had 4 pairs of shoes, I changed my shoes and socks when my feet were sore, went back on the track and discovered that my feet hurt more so after one lap back in the tent and put the first pair of shoes back on! At about 18 hours I changed into my biggest shoes (about 1.5 to 2 sizes too big) and stuck with those until 20 hours. I had no plasters big enough for the blisters and couldn't tape my heels as the rain had made my feet somewhat tripe like and the tape wouldn't stick!! One blister burst and then bled, brings tears to my eyes just remembering it.

Have since found some socks that suit my shoes so hope I won't have the same problem again!
  • yes
    just one tinnie
    at marathon point
  • Is it ok if I butt in here?

I am trying to run at 70% of max HR and its slow but ok. At the moment I am walking for the first 5 minutes of my runs to warm up all the injured bits before running so that is making my average HR lower overall than it would be normally. eg. today's was Avg 132 although most of the time it was around 145-150. Is this ok or should I ignore the walking bit at the start?
  • that sounds fine to me
    is important to warm up nice and easy

hello pet!
  • HaL, as long as the 150 is below the 70%MHR that should be OK. If the 132 average is the 70% figure then you are doing a significant amount of your trainng above the base figure, and possibly not getting the benefits of the base training. That is my understanding, I am sure others will put me right if I have this wrong.
  • Hi Hipps!

DR - the 132 was the overall average at the end of the run, taking into account the fact that it takes the first mile before I am at my 70% HR. My 70% is 148.
    If the average is lower than the 70%, do you still get the training benefit?
  • HaL - as I understand the original work on base training you should not let your heart rate at any time go over the 70%. So it does not matter what the average is, the maximum over the whole run is what you should watch. So going over the 148 for you would be potentially losing the benefits of base training. There was some thought that you lost some of the aerobic benefits of the base training if you went above the 70% level.

I try to keep below my 70% for the whole of my run, but allow it to creep up briefly when I climb a couple of steep hills on my normal routes. My rate stays there for only a minute or two, and soon falls when I get over the other side. I do not allow it to stay over this level for any significant period of time. This did not seem to affect me this year, as I knocked 7 minutes off my half marathon time on a winter of base training with no significant speed work. That is why I have now returned to building up a strong base again this winter, but will add a few lactate threshold and speed sessions in the new year.
  • Hello everyone, ok if I pop in now and again? I expect this thread will get more people making the trip over from Shades' one as there's a bit of a BT'ing craze going on there at the moment.

I've just started base training after completing my first marathon in October, and intend to do this over the winter to get a really good base for my next marathon which will probably be in May (and also so I can get under 2hrs for a half in March). It's early days but I'm totally convinced it's the way to go for me, but as a newbie I have lots of questions.

The latest one is about what length to keep my weekend long run at the moment. I'm building up to running 6 days a week (Saturday off and long run Sunday), all at <70 Max HR. The 5 runs in the week to initially be 6 miles each in length (hopefully building up later when my pace increases a bit and I have time to do slightly longer ones - I have to get up in the dark at 6:00am to fit them in at the moment). My question is should I keep my Sunday long run to 10 miles until I can run that whole distance keeping my heart rate under <70, then once that's been achieved I can start building the mileage of the long run up again? Or is it ok to do longer long runs at this stage?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Babu (& HaL) - I would keep your Sunday runs at 10 miles until you need to increase the distance as per your marathon training plan, which will probably be January?
    Increasing distance doing BT runs of <70%MHR is not difficult.
    I am doing longer Sunday runs already as I want my highest mileage weeks to be over Xmas.
  • Same here, thanks, DR, Hippo and Shades. All advice welcome.
  • Welcome Babu, it is good to see others join in this discussion, the more the merrier! I found last year that this is a good time of year to get in the base training, before doing any other speed work in the spring before many of the road events start up again.

How did your marathon go? What are your goals for a marathon time next year?
  • Thanks DR!

I was very pleased with how my marathon (Dublin) went. Did it in 4:39 which I was happy with for a first attempt, although I'm sure I can get faster. I really wanted just to enjoy the experience as it was my first one, and I had a great time, can't wait to do more.

I would say for my spring marathon somewhere under 4:30 would be great - I don't really know what's a reasonable time to expect to be able to take off, and I guess it also depends on if the marathon's a fast or hilly course (at the moment trying to decide between Edinburgh and Vienna). Having said that I've read of people who have taken huge chunks off their times having spent a while BT'ing, and I will be entering my marathon training proper next year off of a higher weekly mileage (around 40 miles) and with a proper aerobic base, so who knows what's possible!
  • Hi everyone in base trainng land, how is the 70% training going? 60 miles for me last week, including a 13 mile long run at the weekend.
  • well

I was doing well
    but only managed 33 miles last week

my head isnt right
  • You'll be all right benzy....

I've just (last week) started back into BT.

This weeks runs have been at around 70% max but I am working on what I used to which is using the Maffetone formula. Both systems work equally as well. For those who haven't read all the stuff by Hadd, the basic message is that you can't run too slowly but you can run too quickly.

In any case, I'm using this in my build up to FLM 2007 and other races through the year.

All the best,

RB
  • ive overdone the Yoga and am in moderate pain today too!

ah well, keep on going

hi ratbag!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hippo - once you;ve done L**** you can then go onto your training plan (will help with post marathon season depression too) and you'll soon get that mileage up.

This week will be 60mpw for me, am sticking to <70%MHR and did 7 miles this morning without a hint of cardiac drift, really enjoyed it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    5.75 miles this morning at 69%MHR, same route as Monday but nearly 3 mins faster..I love BT