There is one athletics stadium in Barnsley, named after Olympic medallist Dorothy Hyman.
In the middle is a football pitch, which has been used in the past for school cup finals etc.
Well now AFC Barnsley play there. They are a football team set up when it looked as if Barnsley FC might fold (on the lines of AFC Wimbledon Two Ton).
Now remember there are over 200 football pitches in Barnsley so...
1. Our club cannot train there if there is a match on.
2. The football club can book it for training and have exclusive use (ie no runners, long jumpers etc training at the same time).
3. We cannot have exclusive use if we book it.
4. They want the pitch to be bigger so are taking out some of the facilities inside the track, such as shortening the high jump approach. This means it will not be certified for club meetings etc.
5. They did the same thing in Barrow, then had to spend £2 million rectifying the error when they changed their minds.
6. The track used to be council run for the benefit of all. Now all the leisure centres, swimming pools etc are under a private company.
I've nothing against AFC Barnsley, which is now being bankrolled by Barnsley FC's new owner as a non-league club where they can keep an eye on players they've released but who might come good in the future.
But as I've said, we've one athletics stadium and 200 football pitches in the borough.
What hope of winning Olympic medals when private companies put greed before giving everyone a fair crack?