Help - How am I going to cope!!

I have now become an organiser for the Women's Running Network and I have my first group session tonight.

That's scary enough, but I wanted to start with a Beginner's night and ideally 4-5 peeps. Without advertising, all I did was mailshot 16 friends/ clients etc., the 3 who had previously shown an interest have not responded, but 7 of the others have said they'll turn up. So if they're all there, that's 10.

How am I going to cope?

I'm also having a group on Thursday nights which was aimed at those that could run a little (i.e. 5 mins) or more. Nobody has confirmed for that night, think I might be a Billy No Mates!!

Comments

• Don't panic Shades, it will go fine, even if only 1 or 2 show up. I started a women's marathon training group and ended up with 9 regulars who showed up for every long weekend run
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind if only 1 or 2 turn up - it's if 10+ turn up that I may have problems, I want to make sure I can motivate them enough to come back again!!
  • That's brilliant shades. I wish we had a club like that in our local town.
    I'm sure it will go well. I'm also sure that Thursday will be fine. Your group is bound to get seen by other runners or people who want to start running in a group. I hope you enjoy the run.
  • I think when you get started they'll motivate each other and encourage each other. I think if you do end up with a larger group they'll just enjoy each others company and speak to one another. You may even end up organising socials.
  • if you get ten who turn up - great! They'll motivate each other, and there'll be enough people for everyone to have someone to run with!!!

Just be careful if 3 others turn up - you'll have one person either side and one person feeling left out, so you'd have to rotate. Any other number would be fine.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Snail - don't think we'll be doing too much running, I know for a fact that 8 of them have NEVER EVER run before!!

Effie - why don't you become an WRN organiser too?

Last week I dreamt about my first WRN session, 18 peeps turned up, half of them were men, who flatly refused to go home and when we started to run, all of then ran off at incredible speed and left me - and that was the Beginner's Group!!

Surely it can't be as bad as that!!
  • LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused as to why running has this "women only" bit to it.- the Womens network and the flora lite 5k seem to be women only.- Can anyone shed light on why we make the distinction between "runner" and "female runner"?
  • Encouraging women to run.

Can only be a good thing.

Shades - best of luck. Wish we had network in our area.... maybe we have - I'd better check!

Het
  • Excuse the generalisation, but men tend to be more competitive, so making runs about who can run furthest/fastest, rather than each individuals progress against own goals. Also men are physiologically capable of running faster - and most do, which can be a bit disheartening.
    Even if men arent competitive, women lacking in confidence often think they will be, so joining a mixed group is scary.

I do like my mixed club, but the blokes are very focussed on racing and times. They are very supportive to me and other slow beginners though, but I can understand why some women might much prefer a women only group.

In fact I'd probably run with a womens group if there was one round my way as well as my main club - but theres not, and I'm not up to organising. Well done though, Shades, I hope it goes well!
  • Good luck!

Wish I'd had something like your group when I first started running!

• LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.- I really hate the idea of excluding anyone from anything- Men only clubs and groups really bother me, and, to make it fair,I try not to get involed in anything women only.- But all the reasons you give for it being necessary are reasonable and valid, so I guess I just have to accept that it just isn't ever going to be a "fair" world:-)

Good luck with the club.- It sounds like you're going to be really successful.-

• right i'm going to move to the sticks and start a men only club then
  • not for running, for sitting around in leather chairs smoking cigars and drinking brandy
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for your supporting comments.

It's not an equal world, if there were men only races we would take them to the European court or whatever. A few years ago a pub landlord in my town was taken to same court for refusing to serve a woman a pint, needless to say the woman won her case.

I actually like running with men, and have never felt intimidated in any way, but it does appear that the 'men' factor does put off women joining running clubs and entering races, and indeed just taking up running.

We have a Women's only 10k this weekend in Newton Abbot and lots of girls will run that who have maybe done only the Race for Life and are not in any running club. It would be agreat place for me to leaflet my group but as the 10k is organisd by my 1st claim club, it wouldn't be very sporting.

Thanks Lynne, I too, wish I had been able to join a similar club when I started. It is a real struggle to start on your own, you learn the hard way. But we did it!!
  • How did you become an organiser? Is there a web site I can check out. There are no running clubs in my nearest town.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I went on a course with the WRN - website is www.womensrunningnetwork.co.uk (sorry can't do links).

One organiser I know, set her group up first and then went on the course, but I found the course really useful and answered all my questions The WRN are always there to help with any problems etc., so I don't feel isolated in any way, and the WRN is affiliated to UK Athletics.

No pressure on you to have lots of peeps in your group. You decide when/where/how often you want to have sessions etc.
  • Thanks I'll check it out. (I can't do links either).
    All the best with your group.
    Effie
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Shades

Hope it went well. Even if you motivate just one person you'll have been a success.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Phew - first session over. 2 rang me and cried off, 1 no babysitter and the other was having an asthma attack.

So 6 girls turned up, 4 who had never run before, 2 that had done a little. They were all much faster than I expected, and they didn't want to walk too much, and nobody seemed terribly out of breath, I think most of them do gym work so have some level of fitness. They wanted to go off road - probably the last time we can do this in the evening until Spring, so ended up doing 3.75 miles, though they were tired at the end, and I think they may be aching today.

The test will be if they ever come back!! I felt a bit school teacherish at the beginning because I had to go through all the safety issues before we started, but will only have to do that in full to new peeps in future.

Still Billy No Mates for Thursday's session, although one said she may come along.

All in all, it was much more enjoyable than I expected, and 3 of them stayed to have a drink in the pub.

So feeling more confident today, I'm off down the town to put up a couple of posters.
  • Congratulations on a great night!
  • Well done!

Running then pub ... what a great combination! They'll be back!
  • Well done Shades - I wish I had a group like yours where I live! x
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Oh - I did loads of things wrong,

took my mobile in the car with me, but forgot to carry it with me on the run.

forgot to hand out the membership forms at the end of the run, but they had all signed the disclaimer prior to running,in case I ran them off the edge of a cliff.

talked too much, trying to spend some time with everybody, but I guess you wouln't normally have 6 new peeps every session - I realise now, you can't make people like running, you just have to be there to help and motivate them as far as you can, but running doesn't suit everybody.

Have just had another newbie confirm for next week, and another starting the week after.

Rach - have you checked to see if there is one?
  • Well done that's brilliant. I new everything would be OK. Good luck with Thursday.
  • Excellent Shades! Glad to read it went well! :o)
    Looking forward to Liz' group starting..

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have just been down to the local sports shop to put a poster and flyers in there (the girl who work there wants to join too), also to the library.

Tigger - I can't pin Liz down to a starting date, she did say you were going to run with them, but I guess that's on hold for a while due to your injury.
  • LOL Good old Liz!! :o)

Looks like she may take up my offer of the Dublin entry..... so you may get to see her in Dubs!!