Started running....I think I'm addicted.

Hi all,

I don't usually post on forums, but I'm a habitual lurker - a kind of forum curtain twitcher, you will. However, having (like so many others) decided it was time for change, I took up running as a form of exercise about five weeks ago.

I started slowly, run for one minute, walk for two, but I quickly developed. A few jogs outside, a few on the treadmill in the basic, but free, gym we have at work and I discovered that I could jog further than I thought I could. From very tentative early steps in August, I can run 5k in 30 minutes flat (hardly record breaking, but I was delighted), and today I ran beyond four miles and felt I could carry on, though work commitments put paid to my expanding mileage.

If I'm honest, I've always hated running. Found it dull, didn't understand how people could plod around, seemingly aimlessly, in all manner of conditions, but I apologise unreservedly. I absolutely love it. I genuinely look forward to my next run (Sunday, can't wait!). I've read loads about nutrition and I've made changes to my diet - without feeling like I'm starving myself - and I feel great. Oh, and I've lost over a stone.

I think I've turned a corner and I hope it's not a fad. It can't be now, right? I've normally lost interest after a few weeks, but I'm still gleefully mapping future runs, I use my Polar FT60 HRM religiously and the free Nike+ running app for iPhone is great, too.

Is it love? I think it might be. We're still in the honeymoon stage, but me and running just may be soul mates.

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't help myself. Did anyone else hit a point of no return so early in their running 'career'?

Oh, by the way, my name's Jae. Nice to meet you...

Comments

• Hi Jae...i'm a relative newcomer too and have to say that i am enoying running far more than i ever have done in the past- despite aborted attempts on many an occasion...i'm slightly fuelled by fear- entered a 10k for november and have decided that if i don't want to make a complete pratt of myself that i really should do some training (i'm not someone who could just run without training- i'm not really naturally built for it image )...typical isn't it that i have embarked on this seriously now the weather is awful and its dark in the mornings (best time for me to run)....so we shall see if i remain so dedicated! image

• Well if you are still here in 6 months posting then we know it's not a fad image

• Hi Diggerbez & booktrunk,

I have also entered a 10k in November as I think it's good to have something to aim for, especially as the warmer weather gives way to autumn and the prevailing bad weather may make going out for a run less appealing.

Having said that, I'm feeling fitter, losing weight and eating well so as long as I feel good then I'll keep going. The days of dreading the gym or exercise seem to be over - long may that continue (well past six months, I hope!)

• No, you're not alone! I have tried and failed at running two or three times over the years, but this summer I joined a beginner's group, and finally I got the hang of it (was attempting to run way too fast on my own).Can't even begin to explain it really, but somehow I finally 'got' running, and I have gone from somone who does a variety of exercise classes, to a runner who does those classes as cross-training to enable my running.

Three months later am still as addicted to it, planning at least one, but preferably two Half Marathons next year, and avidly studying our local OS maps for off-road routes (me, who doesn't like getting muddy, who'd have thunk it?image).

• Hi Tina,

Yes, I know exactly what you mean as far as running too fast. Before it didn't feel like exercise if I wasn't almost killing myself, but I think I too now 'get it'. And it's great!

Just got back from a run. I know the weekend is supposed to be the 'long run' but I'm not quite at the stage where I can run 10 miles or whatever, so I mapped a run, strapped on my iPhone with the Nike+ app and programmed in a 4.5 mile effort (the longest I've run so far). Amazingly, when I returned home to check out the results I'd run my fastest 5k and each mile was under 10 mins - this is running outside rather than the treadmill runs I do during the week and also with a fair few inclines as where I live isn't super flat. Progress! Nothing more inspiring than that! Roll on November's 10k race.

Sorry, I was waffling a bit, but I'm so happy that each time I run I seem to improve ever so slightly. I know there are some difficult days ahead as not every run will be wonderful, but is there anything quite like getting out there on a beautiful early autumn morning, your favourite music blasting through the headphones, and just running? Glorious!

• yeah well I'm jealous today; got a stinker of a cold and not been out all week image. It's glorious here too!

I'm still very slow, but have run 5.4 miles a few times with no bother, so the mileage at least isn't an issue. Need to work on my times, but the local running club coaching sessions should help with that.

• That's a shame. A few more days and hopefully you'll be able to get back out there. I was going to run tomorrow but the forecast looks terrible, so I took the opportunity to get out today.

I wasn't trying to run at a faster tempo - just wanted to get around the course I'd mapped out, so it was a nice surprise to get around as quick as I did. It's hardly race pace or whatever, but I'm happy to have improved. You'll be zipping around once the coaching takes effect - maybe even thinking about a full marathon one day...

• 'Never say never' image. I've done a couple of full power-walking marathons, so you never know!

• Quite right too. A power walk is just a slow jog anyway, surely.

• In a fit of overzealousness, I ran again today. In hindsight this was a bad move. I felt slow and tired for most of the 5k. I know I should have allowed a day after yesterday's exertions. Still, lesson learned, and at least I managed the run - though my legs are now telling me exactly what they think!

Also, just realised I start a 6 week training plan, culminating in the 10k I've signed up for in November, whilst on holiday in early October. If my resolve remains strong whilst those around me stuff their faces and chug beer and wine, then I know I can accomplish anything. I'll allow myself a few glasses of wine, though. I am on holiday afterall.

By the way, Tina, I wasn't making light of powerwalking yesterday. I just read my previous message back and it reads as if I am. It's undoubtedly a lot tougher than a slow jog. No offence intended image

• Hi Jae !

I only started running in March and at first I really hated it as I could only do 1/2 mile without stopping - felt hopeless and rubbish, really. Kept at it every other other week or so and eventually did 5K. From there to 10K was not as hard as I thought and over the last two weeks did three decent, if slow runs. Lost weight (Good!) which made a huge difference !

Today ran Chislehurst Chase just under an hour - feel amazing !! Running is not a fad - have never felt so good in ages...

• no offence taken, don't worry image. Believe it or not, I think running (now I've got the hang of it) is easier than power walking; it's certainly far easier on the hips and hamstrings. Was told by a physio that it is too; my hips don't like power walking any more, but running's no problem.

Peter, you're right, persistence does pay off, eventually. Not that I could run even 1/2 mile when I started. Well done on your Chislehurst Chase!

Just been to watch DH in a sprint triathlon. And no, I'm not tempted!!!!

• Never tried power walking and to be fair I always thought running any sort of distance would be impossible ! The race today was well organised - only downside was they ran out of T-Shirts so I hope they have some more printed.. Hot bath today had never felt so good... Thanks for your kind comments.. running again on the 14th.. can't wait... image

• That's interesting - you'd think running would be far more high impact and worse for the joints, etc. Sprint triathalon, eh? In my wildest dreams, maybe. Need to get past the 10k fun run stage before I decide on where my race future lies (if anywhere).

Hi Peter. Well done on the race. Much like you I could barely get half a mile, but things change quickly with a bit of effort, thankfully. If I was still struggling I'd have given up already.

You know what, though? It's not just about feeling great and getting fitter for me (although that's a huge part of it). It's the small things like getting into clothes you never thought you'd wear again and comments from colleagues, asking whether you've lost weight. All that stuff just spurs me on.

I know it's early days, but I can't see my lifestyle going back to the way it was before. I mean, look forward to running. It's weird typing that, but it's true and, to coin an American term, it's awesome!

• Awesome is the word ! I never realised just how much better you can feel when you push yourself - I was always the worst runner at school (Hated cross country) but as I have trained on my own you do things at your own pace - no one is looking ! This has changed my lifestyle completely... no more late nights and no drinking except on special occassions. Looking forward to the next run on the 14th... feet up next week, though (well - maybe? image)

• Good evening all!

I've been reading this post and nodding away to myself! I too have never been a runner, always struggled at school and hated running. After watching several friends get super fit and losing loads of weight I decided to get measured up for some proper running shoes and start running. I too need something to aim for, so I've entered a 10k in December with my 18 year old son, and downloaded a training plan.

I've been running about 4 weeks and amazed at the improvement. I also ran this weekend at my local parkrun - a free and timed 5km event. I was ecstatic to actually finish the course, and although 37mins won't break any records, just a month ago I couldn't imagine doing that distance! I also found that running in this way made it much more enjoyable.

I think having a target is crucial, I couldn't just go out and run without a goal in mind so the training plan is brilliant. I run on the planned days and push myself to achieve the plan.

I too am hoping that this becomes a life long love affair, and it is starting to.

Good luck with your running! Maybe we should see whether we're all still posting on here in 6 months image

• Hi Kathy,

Well, we've all got something in common in that we hated running at school. I think the big change for me happened when I realised I was the fattest person in my department at work, I also have a young son and the thought of keeling over playing with him scares the life out of me.

I think you're absolutely right about having something to aim towards, it just helps with motivation (particularly now it's getting colder). 37 minutes for your first effort is brilliant and the great thing is you're only going to get better!

I hope we're all here in six months, still encouraging each other. I can't wait to post the time for my first 10k. I don't care if it's slow, the sense of achievement at having done it will be more than enough for me.

• I agree Jae, I too cannot wait to do a 10k! But at the moment I have sore knees and ankles from my 5k lol!

• Hi Jae/all

Just discovered runners world forums and this thread in particular echoes my sentiments. I have always hated the thought of running and was rubbish at school [which to be fair was a long time ago!]. In May decided to do something about my non existant fitness and mapped a 1.5K run which was hard! Have managed to keep at it setting 6min/K pace targets and have just done my first 5K route today in 30min 40sec. I know this is nothing special but feels great to be able to keep going for that distance and I am loving running - as was said earlier I think setting your own pace really helps.

My main concern now is how to keep it going as the darker mornings/evenings are coming as I tend to run on unlit country roads/lanes and don't want to get run over!!

LF

• Hi LF, that's not a shoddy time for a 5k at all; I'm a lot slower than that!!!  Actually the triathlon I watched on Sunday had plenty of people who were at the 26-30 minute mark.

Hi viz jacket a must for you, and possibly a torch?

• Thanks Tina - I do worry about the sanity of running in poor light though - just about OK at the moment for a 0630 morning run but will be pretty dark in a couple of months I guess. Could just go at weekends but will miss my week day fix I think!!

LF

• there's a 6.30 in the morning??? who knew image

• I would be ecstatic with that time for a 5km LF! image

I'm on 37mins and was impressed with myself over that lol!!

I was wondering about the early morning runs too, it's getting dark very fast, I was thinking about switching to a gym / treadmill mid week run

• Good to hear all your stories and enthusiasm for running. I've flirted with running for about 4 years. I'm hoping that my recent burst of enthusiasm can be sustained. I've still yet to get the hang of running "lightly" - every step for me is a plod, which is odd since I've never been overweight. I find other peoples enthusiasm infectious though, so it's good to hear you're all enjoying getting into it image

• Thanks Kathy.

Agree Agent this site is great - nice to know we're not alone when plodding around the streets!!

LF

• Hi to Lowflying/AgentGinger, etc.

Great to have some new faces (wordsmiths?) on our fledgling thread! Hopefully we can all cheer each other when we've had a great run or race, and give each other encouragment when we have a poor run or think about packing it all in (so far, so good for me - one poor run, but I'd overdone it the day before).

Great work on the 5k time, LF. I've just managed a 30 minute 5k myself and I thought it was a fantastic achievement. Anyone else had a good run they want to mention? Doesn't have to be record breaking, just something you're proud of even if it's running for 2 minutes without keeling over. Any lurkers out there feel free to join in. We're very nice. Honest!

• Hi all, just thought I would join in. I hate that its getting so dark, I was out Monday night and it was fine, then all of a sudden it was pitch black and the street lights were on. So ive gone and bought some reflective bands as I run round roads where people tend to like speeding and may not see me.

Agentginger, I totally get what youre saying about a plod- I always get told off a I "sound like an elephant" when walking even though not overweight but im so heavy footed and this carries on in my running which I need to be careful with as seems to be making my knee play up image I have finally been able to reach my 5 mile marker in about 7 weeks, so pleased as its seriously hard work but now im there I want to go further and its really addictive! I'm only getting about 10 minutes a mile, but Im really pleased with that and just hoping I can maintain that time even with more mileage.

• Thanks Jae.

Nicola that is great work - 5miles is about 8K and a pace of 10min/mile is around 6min/K which is what I try to stick to. That should get you close to 10K in the hour which I reckon is a great achievement. I am at the point where I am not sure if I should increase distance or try to increase pace. Regardless of that must try and get out more before the mornings/evenings get too dark!

LF

• Hi all can I join in this thread I'm Sam live near Swansea (originally from midlands) a fairly new runner have a 2 and a 3 year old girls and last six months started to think a out some me time again as the big 40 was nearly on me!!! Lol

Last 3 months hooked in it I've just done the Cardiff 10k and the Swansea bay 10k my first races and bleeding loved the buzz it gave me managed to finish Swansea in 1 hr 2 mins so chuffed with that image

Nothing better than a stressfull day and toddlers winding me up then getting out the door and start running stress buster at its best!! image

Dark mornings and nights a real pain if running without anybody else mine went and got pregnant dam inconsiderate he he image I've just joined a health club so I'll try and do midweek nights on treadmill aswel.

I've already found this site fab to keep inspiring me to keep going image
  • Hey Nicola and Samantha,

Welcome!

You're right about the darkness, Nicola. I love the autumn but it's not really conducive to jogging in the evenings. Reflective clothing is a must if you've got speedy drivers about. The colder it gets the harder to go out the front door, especially to exercise, so long may the progress continue - 5 miles is really good going after less than two months.

And Samantha, brilliant work on the Swansea 10k. If I get close to that time when I run my first 10k in November I'd be well chuffed. Hope we can all inspire each other as we go along.