Steep Angled Bikes

What’s your view on why there are so few ‘triathlon’ geometry bikes in British triathlon?
Everything I’m reading seems to regard them as a must, yet both (yes, 2, so no ‘wealth’ of experience here) triathlons that I have entered seemed to be mainly road bikes.

Are the steep angled bikes just hype? Do they offer no real benefit?

Is it availability I’ve seen them offered online, but I’ve never seen one at a LBS.

I don’t think it could be the price, I’ve seen some very expensive bikes at these events.

Another example of this is our triathlon magazines, they always seem to review the road geometry frames even when the particular range has a tri-specific model.

I’m just worried that I’m missing something here? Or am I thinking too much about it?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Fashions come and go - a couple of years ago everyone was riding 76,77,or 78 degree bikes, but now road geometry (73 degrees) seems to be in vogue.
    I bought my Principia steep angled bike from my local bike shop, but it is a very good shop.
    The idea of steep angled frames is to seat you farther forward and therefore over the bottom bracket.
    The pedalling action is supposed to be closer to a running action than being sat farther back.
    At the end of the day it's whatever suits the individual.

Paul
  • Thanks for answering,

Do you think there is no real advantage to these bikes then?
    I thought the idea of pushing you forward was to give you a more aerodynamic position in the aero bars?
    (As well as enabling you to run better off the bike, though I never really understood this argument, I can see what you’re saying about the pedaling action though.)

Having tried both did it make a big (any?) difference to you?

When you buy your next bike, what are you going to get, geometry wise?

Phil
  • you can always slide your seat further forward on your road bike to simulate the effect

or do lots of brick sessions
  • Sorry, been away for a day or two.
    The steeper angle frames are often shorter in the top tube, so you can get a good position on tri bars.
    Some road geometry bikes are too long so make setting up tri bars a pain.
    I train on a road geometry bike, but race a steep angled one, and can ride the race bike much quicker.
    But it is lighter, has better wheels and different gearing.
    As for my next bike - It will be either carbon or titanium, probably steep angled, as I like the riding position.
    At the end of the day, I've got to be comfortable on the bike for around 6 hours, then get off and be able to run a Marathon, and I favour a steeper angle frame for this.
    Paul.