Walkers In Running Races

Comments

• i think people are getting off the main topic here it was aimed at people that have no intention of running at all throught the race, not people that are doing a run/walk program for the race (ie run 1mile walk 1 mile.
  • I would never have started running if I hadn't entered a 5k, with every intention of walking it. Having said that, it was a women's fun run and non-runners are positively encouraged. It's an annual event and I wouldn't miss it. This year I ran it all for the first time. My daughters still walk round because they listen in on all the conversations and collect a t-shirt at the end. After 2 years, they occasionally break into a trot.
    I do always try to over-estimate the amount of time it will take me and put myself in the right starting place.
    I have sometimes wondered if marshalls could do more to spot when slower movers are holding faster ones back and ask them to keep to one side. I personally would appreciate it if the race organisers would give you some idea of the sort of speeds they are expecting, because although I don't mind being last, I wouldn't want to be last by a long way and so I would either not enter or, if I felt it was do-able, I would have something to aim for.
    I think non-runners and new runners perhaps don't have a clear idea of what their time will be (a lot of people think everyone walks at 4mph, whatever the terrain when in fact that is quite a brisk pace which many people couldn't sustain for any length of time). If races were to have cut-off times, I would hope that they would take into account a broad range of entrants.
    (perhaps replies to threads should have a cut-off point - sorry)
  • Well i still glad i've entered the windsor half. If i said i was doing a 5K or even 10K i don't think i would have collected as much sponsor money. I will run/walk but if i struggling then i will walk. I'll keep to the left and do all the things i should (start at the back) I will finish and collect my sponsor money.
    I have great admiration for those of you who can run all the way. I have been training since April but have had many injuries, cold. Those people who are wearing the costumes etc are running for GOOD organisations. Fun runners i think they're called. Nothing fun about plodding/walking 26 miles in some mr man costume or whatever. I will be wearing normal running gear yet i will still struggle and no doubt it will be painful but not as painful as those suffering from cancer whom i am running for! Sorry to rant it not usually like me but Sunday will be a very emotional day for me. I don't see why i should feel guilty for walking.
  • Well DONT feel guilty WL

and have a great day
    xx
  • as someone else said I can't believe that people turn up to running races with the intention of not running at all. People with hiking boots at the GNR? Taking the p!ss innit? At least put some runners on and look like you're making the effort!
  • Wobblelegs

You won't be the only one run/walking Windsor, See you at the back. I'll be the one in a forum vest looking nervous :-)
  • Provided people place themselves near the back and can run at least half the race then that's fair. But when they walk three/four abreast at 1k and stop people passing it's rediculous. If they can't run say 5k in a 10k race why enter - better to train more and enter when they can run a fair part of it.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Wobble Legs, you've said it yourself: you have put some effort into training for this event and even if you end up walking, that's a lot different from turning up in hiking boots fully intending to walk the whole way. The latter isn't, in my view, in the spirit of the event and these people should not be allowed to enter and deprive those who actually intend running (or attempting to run) being given a place.

Agreed, Bryan and others re. the Nike 10K. I placed myself in the second-fastest group as I didn't feel confident of getting sub-45. Had I known how many people would place themselves in the wrong group or arrive late and then have to run with a different group, I'd have thought, sod it and entered the sub-45 category. But as I was trying to be both realistic and considerate of those faster than me, I didn't - and got held back by those much slower than me who had selfishly placed themselves in the wrong category.

OK, I know I probably shouldn't expect to get a PB in a mass participation event, but I at least don't expect to still barely be jogging by 2K into the race, unable to pass those who are walking right across the road in front of me ...
  • what about someone who is a fitness/power walker entering mass participation events aimimng for a pb - say a 70min 10k or a 30-35min 5k - no intention of running - not training as a runner but doing lots of fast walking - wearing running gear not hiking gear and pushing themselves to be a s fast as they can ?

is there room for them ?

and if not where would they go to do events like this ?
  • they are not a racewalker tho - not fast enuff - and thy want to meet up with mates at the big events ?

• then get with the program and, shock, horror - take both feet off the floor together and RUN!!!!!!
  • I have nothing against walkers, as long as they are at the back and not 3 or 4 abreast across the road. Speed walkers would equally get stuck behind others. 2 mins across the start of the GNR and I tripped over my first walker. At Glasgow 10k it was sooner.. but I expect nothing else. Perhaps if there is a walker reading these threads they could explain the phsycology behind wanting to start at the front and get in everyone's way.
  • Daisy, its a selfish kinda world and most people are only out to please themselves. Having said that, a lot of people are just thick!
    I'm a new(ish) runner thinking about entering my first race....the comments in this thread are not exactly encouraging!
  • Don't take it personally/badly, just please be considerate.
  • Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Bune - in my response to my opening of this thread, I did allow an exception for Powerwalkers and what I termed "olympic walkers" (Walking like they do in walking races) as I recognise that these methods require an effort equivalent to running (indeed the WR's for championship walkers put my running efforts to shame!).
    Also I exempted in the opening messge run/walking and walking when exhausted through running.
    My issue as some others have pointed out are those turning up to running races with no intention of doing anything else than 'strolling' the event.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If it states running race then it is for participants who intend to at least try to run! And I believe they should be able to run at least half of it, even if it is run 1 mile walk 5 miins etc
  • Does anyone else have the feeling that this thread is going round in circles??

Another serious question - I sometimes enter LDWA (Long Distance Walkers Association) challenge events as a runner not a walker. There's generally no objection, and the runners usually get set off early. BUT these events have entry limits and are often full by the day of the event. So am I being selfish by entering a walk with no intention of walking it?? Straight up - its a serious question, I'd really hate to think that I was stopping someone else from walking....

• i'd say if race is full then yes, you have probably stopped a walker entering.
  • Hmmm

So on the grounds of what's good for the goose is good for the gander maybes I should stop entering them then.
  • Fell Running - do a swap! enter all teh walking races, then trade your places with hard-core walkers who have entered runs just to walk them.... job done!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Fell Running: I've done some LDWA events, if they say runners welcome, then you not are depriving anyone, because you are on the list of invitees.

If its a running race, then you should be attempting to run, otherwise it would say 'walkers welcome'. Small events can't be expected to provide marshals for the odd walker who is going to take 50% longer than the slowest runner. Its just inconsiderate.

If you can 'power walk' and keep up with , or get infront of the tail end of the field, then OK you are not putting an additional burdeb on the organisers, but I don't think there are many walkers out there who fit into that category.

• How about a qualification time for the big events like GNR and FLM? It could be really slow, like an 80 min 10k or 2:40 half marathon, but at least those entering would have demonstating some willingness to try running.

If that would deter people walking round in boots for charity, perhaps if the charity was that important to them, they might put in the effort and train to earn a place in the race to raise the money.
  • I'm not sure how that woul dhelp BR - if they go in the wrong pens then you could still get a mix up. It isn't the speed itself that's the issue AFAIK, apart from the poor marshalls I don't really mind if someone trails in taking three times as long as me, but being in the inappropriate group - i.e. too far forward at the start.
  • Maybe different coloured numbers for different qualifying times, so you have a blue pen for 75-80 mins, green for 80-85 etc.
    The colour of your number would be obvious to the marshalls etc.
  • Then you'd have a right challenge to beat as many people as poss with a `faster number'

Would make it really competitive all the way through the field!
  • i would never dream of entering a race where my time would make me last !!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Somebodys got to be last! otherwide you would have races with only one person
  • Exactly Mak a good point.
    I think of myself as the tortoise. As in the hare and the tortoise. Also my neck is rather wrinkly too.