Anti-depressants & training

Comments

• I put the pill in shirt pocket and come to work. Have breakfast and take pill, assuming I'm not engrossed in something and forget! doh. Maybe I should set a calendar item up to ping me at 9 and check I've taken it.
  • I used to take my pills at the same time as my morning coffee break - oh, coffee time = oh pill time. so the reminder was always there cos there was no way I would miss coffee.

or set a watch alarm to give a discreet beep, and possibly a reminder beep too, just in case you are too busy (or it's incovenient) to take it just then.

Glad you are a tigger today though Stags. Tiggers are fab!
  • I'm going to invade your thread staggs, after yesterday's little email chat cos you really put me back on the up again.

i've been officially out of depression for years. Which translates as I couldn't see the point in going back to the docs to be prescribed more pills which i didn't want to take. but it doesn't stop the lows (and recently haven't seen much of the highs). But I've been taking it day by day and finally see light at the end of the tunnel. i really feel like i'm taking the final steps to getting over it.

The main focus of my depression now is hypochondria. The main cause of my hypochondria is my up to 20 a day habit. This week i'm hoping to kick that habit and hopefully that will reduce the depression to the point where I really start living again. I'm looking forward to it.

i hope that this positive thought is some help to you too. but i just wanted an excuse to share what a good friend you were yesterday! thanks.
  • Hi Stags

Glad to hear that things seem to be going OK on the Efexor. I've found it suits me best, too.

I still have high and low days but the lows are no where near as bad. I have had the odd bad day where the low was very low but I don't spend so long at such a low position (does that make sense?).

Anyway, you have a sensible attitude to your life. One day and one step at a time. That's how I live my life.

Big hug Stags
    CC
  • Puff

have you considered getting some help to kick habit with some strategies from smoking cessation adviser ? might be useful as its as much a psychological habit as a phsyical addiction

good luck and well done on learning to live well with depression
  • Puff

This certainly sounds like a turning point in your life. Well done - it sounds like you have been in the tunnel for a long time.

Let us know how you get on.

Hugs
    Creamcake

Sounds like you and Stags had quite an uplifting conversation yesterday!
  • Creamcake, I've been a diagnosed depressive for ten years although suffered for several years before being diagnosed (it was put down to teenage angst)

Depression is rather a family illness (mother and sister also depressives) but we weren't ever allowed to admit to it, or be treated for it because of the shame it might bring on the family (for being nuts).

I'm just glad to feel that it is (hopefully) coming to an end. Feel like I've missed so much in life and now i really want to go out and grab it all. Daft isn't it?

Never tried a smoking cessation adviser bune - where do you find them?

Apologies to stags for nicking his thread again. most help I've had in years on here!
  • ask your GP clinic or contact your local health trust
  • I'm glad you feel so much better Puff. I had noticed you're like me and a bit sensitive to what people are saying sometimes.

Life is never missed, but it could be different. There are some good things that have happened because or during depression that may not have happened otherwise.
  • Puff

Glad you want to seize life by throat and enjoy it!

My dad is a manic depressive (or bipolar disorder they call it these days I think) and has been for 18 years, so I know where you're coming from. The stigma that was (and still is to a certain extent) attached to depression prevented people from getting help or taking medication/therapy when they were offered it.

My dad takes several different types of medication but it doesn't really keep him that even, plus he has other health issues that require medication so he takes loads of pills several times a day!

I think I am pretty similar in nature to my dad. I seem to have very highs and very lows, although the Efexor is evening the lows so they are not quite so low and I bounce back quicker after them.

Stags - I am also a pretty sensitive flower when it comes to what people say to me, I always have been. I get easily upset or agitated. eg I have seen the end of Buffy season 5 loads of times (the one where she dies) but even though I know what is coming I blub every time! I have been known to cry at the sad bits of Disney films! These days I try to refrain from answering a post if it is something that has upset me or angered me.

I also know what you mean about good things that have happened because of or during the depression that might not have otherwise happened.

Hugs and kisses all
    CC
  • CC, you've come over all bright! You sound like you're doing well at the moment yourself and got a grip on the expectations of ups and downs.

I think that the sensitivity is another one of the key things that's linked to depressive personalities - like underlying shyness...

Compared to you and Puff, I'm "lucky" (if that's the right word) as I'm the first in my family to be truely depressed. My wife has had short outbreaks previously, which combined with me makes me a little worried about my kids, particularly the eldest who's sensitive...
  • Stags

My eldest, who has Aspergers Syndrome, is also quite sensitive. I think depression is quite common in people with this syndrome. Also in those with ADHD I believe, which my younger son has.

I too worry about whether they will turn out to have depressive episodes when they are older, although there are other issues with them both that seem more important, like will they ever live a totally independent life, will they need medication, will they get the support they need, etc.

But, I have made a concerted effort not to worry too much about their futures. I just take one day at a time and forget about everything else that "could" happen. The time to worry, I guess, is when the possible scenarios happen - less stress doing it this way than worrying about all eventualities now that might never happen.

Reading that back, it sounds as clear as mud!

Sorry Stags. Mind fudge occurring.

CC xx
  • another "funny" day....

feel very perky today, possible too perky and also a little skittish. Didn't get to sleep till late last night, so short of sleep. Also, didn't do my promised exercise when I got home last night, but made up for it by walking briskly for 30 minutes this morning.

Couldn't go out last night as when got home the husband of one of wife's friends was there, and since they are going to their 3rd family funeral in 4 weeks it would have been wrong.

Will try for an earlier night tonight, but eldest goes to cubs so he throws the timing out a bit. We'll see how it goes, writing this I'm calming down a bit and possibly going a bit the other way. Need a drink and a quiet few minutes before a long meeting.
  • Had a good sleep last night, not long enough but only one very short break - cold arm needed tucking in :-)

Still feel shattered today, and don't want to do any work, which is not good. Probably managed half an hour in the day.

Busy weekend about to start, hopefully will be a good one. the wife commented last night that I'd been easier to live with this week so progress is being made. Need to try and implement some the changes/issues we identified last weekend and that will make a difference.
  • hmmm

im feeling a bit bleugh at the mo - a combination of things - pms, money worries, noyt being able to go to the gym because of the bug and then gaining weight instead of losing it, and some personal stuff that i cant resolve easily and a feeling that ive recognised is familiar at this time of year - dark nights wanting to hide away, comfort eating - might be proper SAD adding some mischief to the mix
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    (((((((((((( :ox )))))))))))))
  • Stags

All sounds positive - good on ya! Hope the weekend is a good one!

Bune

Lots of hugs and kisses. I too suffer with pms, plus SAD and illness at this time of year. Have you ever tried those light box thingies?

I have had a minor health worry this week (won't bore you with the details but suffice to say it is mainly to do with being a woman). Trying not to worry too much - had a telephone appointment with GP this morning as only minor.

Hope you all have a good weekend. I'm working in the gym all day Sunday (2 inductions in the book so far...) but tomorrow is all mine (and the kids and Mr CC's...).

CC
  • CC - keep smiling, you've got it in proportion and under control. Take it (relatively) easy. ((((cc))))

Bune - hmmm, as you've told me, its not all progress forward, there's always so back steps along the way. Take it easy, get out in the fresh air for a bit. Obviously can't relate to pms (would be strnage if I could), but the others i can relate to and there isn't an easy answer when its all at once. You need some space and some distractions to help. Or (and this isn't a good thought to give anyone else) are the distactions of work and the gym taking your mind off your problems and stopping you from solving them?

I don't know and I don't want to sound like an @rsehole know it all. You've given me a lot of balanced, sensible advice and I really don't know what to say to try and help - which is galling, not being able to feel like you can help. Hope you feel better over the weekend, and the lurgy clears up, and then other things can be resolved. ((((Bune))))

((((Jj)))) welcome back to the funny thread! :-)
  • ah Bune
    Wrong time of year for you
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

CC, doesnt matter if its minor
    one still worries
    e mail if you need
  • yep your right stags - ive been avoiding stuff that is always there and unless i decide to do something positive about it will stay the same - trouble is ive sort of resigned myself to this being my lot - a bit like some one who has a busted leg and learns to walk with a limp - feel like im living with a limp !
  • Loneliness is a crowded room
    Full of open hearts turned to stone
    All together all alone

All at once my whole world had changed
    Now i´m in the dark, off the wall
    Let the strobe light up them all
    I close my eyes and dance till dawn
    - dance away

Now I know I must walk the line
    Until I find an open door
    There was I - many times a fool
    I hope and pray, but not too much
    Out of reach is out of touch
    All the way is far enough
  • Roxy music (again), know that track well - been there and felt that way. No easy answers, but never give up. Its not easy to resign to a "lot", better to accept it and find things that balance it out. mail me if you wnat to "talk".

Like the description Bune, living with a limp!

Been up during the night with the little one, he couldn't decide if he was scared of the dark or not, so had a very broken night. Consequently I feel very tired and run over this morning and to add to the fun, the high of last week has decided to end rather abruptly, leaving tears in the eyes and no urge to be anything. One of those "don't know how I'm going to survive the day" type feelings. SO head down and try to work.
  • thank god for work at the moment - although i do need a bit of space to wallow and work thru this stuff - but at least it takes me away from the current bleeughs
  • Hi Staggs, I hope you don't mind me butting in. I never know whether to say anything or if it helps. You sound as tho' you have a pretty good handle on things & to give yourself a break & ease back on the not-so- good or blinking awful days. One beeeeg mistake I made when I was recovering was to try too much, too soon - I was coming along fine & then, oops, who put that darned cliff there as I go running off over the edge of it. You sound as tho' you had a busy weekend & good week last week, so today's feeling might just be a bit of a reaction to it exacerbated by a broken night - just hang on in there & allow yourself to come back. I know it's a tricky balance, but try to pace yourself carefully through today until you feel a bit more up to things. Like the limp analogy Bune!!
  • ((((((((((Bune))))))))) you need it as much as any one.

Erratic, thanks for the thoughts, and yes it does help. I expected bad days, I think the speed it changed and the extent of the swing caught me out. Still feel better at the moment, apart from not being able to get to sleep! But I have been out of a run earlier (about 7 ish) so it may just be the adrenaline flushing round.
  • Sticking my neck out as a newbie to this site, I’ve just read these posts and was amazed at how much I can relate to all this. The loss of a frends child then another close friend led me to being reffered to a counciller earlier in the year but I already had severe depressions. There was a lot of underlying cr@p that I needed / need to sort out in order to stay above my depressions. I’ve been a depressive since my teens but never sought help before as it was dismissed as pubescent male behaviour (don’t think that can now apply, I’m 32!) Alchohol had been a big problem for many years and still is a little excessive but I dropped it by about 100 units a week and started running in the gym at 5:30 before work each day which provided a destraction and a big challenge in August as motivation. I’m by no means out of the woods but come a long way forward and a solid routine has helped a lot and most of it was achieved without councelling and I havent resorted to ADs yet!

I don’t think this is any help or relevance but I was so astounded to see such free conversation in a world that seems to frown on depression I thought I’d post anyway. My key is ensuring I don’t have time to dwell when I wake up in the morning or I spiral downwards very quickly. I try to address issues over the period of the day or it becomes too much to handle. I write everything I need to address down.

Hope nobody minds me posting this, I feel a bit of a fraud as I’ve never hit the lows that some have so what do I know.

ATB
  • Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses PDW

Do you really mean dropped by 100 units of alcohol a week?
    wow!
  • Yes PH, i did it vitually overnight and got told off by the doctor. Went from 2 bottles of wine every weeknight and about another 4 to 5 bottles at weekends + beer and spirits (but i don;t have whisky in the house now!)

Down to a couple of beers each night and a couple of bottles of wine at a weekend. My first xmas is going to be a big test!!
  • Should add, i quietly though my heart was packing up and didn't have the guts to see the doctor and admit what i was doing so it wasn't all will power!