Anti-depressants & training

1134213431344134513461348»

Comments

• Ianjames medication is a odd like that, it might be that you didn't have as many side-effects last time or perhaps you just didn't notice as many cos you weren't trying to fight as hard. If you were really low and camping out on the sofa you wouldn't notice the side-effects which make a difference when running or trying to visit people (or even standing up). Were you still trying to run last time?

The encouragement is much deserved, I know you can do it cos the fact that you're here talking about it proves that you are courageous enough to try to fight through it. It's so hard to find the will to keep trying something difficult but it is so worth it.

The Sertraline honestly does settle pretty quickly. If you've survived two weeks you're probably almost there.

Thanks I am OK, finally feeling positive again today. I don't know if it'll last but I don't care I'm just enjoying it while it's here image

Take care and please forgive yourself if you miss a session or don't perform as well as you'd hoped. Some days that happens but it doesn't negate all the successful runs you've already had and it doesn't mean that all your future ones will be dreadful.

You are up against a lot, be kind to yourself. As if you were advising a friend in the same situation. For example if I said that I'd failed because I was too lazy to go for a run you wouldn't say you're right you big, fat failure you'd say it's understandable, you probably needed a break. You are doing so much better generally etc etc. It's hard enough to carry about the depression without giving a bullying version of yourself a piggyback too.

Hope things go well (stay in touch and we'll cheer as you conquer each mile)
  • Hi SOLB,

Thank you for the support.  Things do seem to have eased somewhat.  I still find I get tired more easily but over shorter distances at least my limbs seem to have returned to normal!  Still finding my jaw clenched and weird tension in my hands but perhaps that is the price of being less miserable.

No, I wasn't on running when I started these last time.  I did end up running whilst I was taking them, but at that stage had been on them for a while and so didn't have this experience.  

This is where being in a running club is so helpful.  I know when I go I'll feel better for being around other people, even if I'm tempted to avoid it before going out.  That experience has been so beneficial this year.

How are things going for you?

• Still struggling to run any distance of any length since I started these.  Which is rather worrying, with a marathon coming up.  Haven't gone over 14 miles for a few weeks now.  Yesterday I planned to but it all went pear-shaped at 9 miles. 

Don't really know if this is the tablets or my general mood.  Stopping suddenly in the middle of a run is a new thing.

• ANyone got any experience of Mirtazapine?  Just been switched to it after being on citalopram

Thanks in advance image

• Ended up on 150 mg of Sertraline, but I'm now so sleepy that all I want to do is come home and go to bed.  I'm thinking of dropping the dose back down, as I don't think I can function feeling this tired.  Also feeling physically knackered, but don't know if that is depression, tablets, being a bit under the weather or just racing too much over the last month. 

Planning on going back to 100mg, and perhaps trying to face some of the things I've been determinedly avoiding that are making me need these in the first place.  Its a scary thought, though.

On the up-side, in the middle of the worst episode of depression of my adult life, I managed to run a marathon.  It took a hell of a lot of self-talk.  If it also takes some recovery, maybe that's okay.  

• Boing!

Digging this thread out as just been diagnosed with depression this morning and been given a prescription for Citalopram.  Its sort of crept up on me and I got sent home from work yesterday by Occy Health. Admitting I do actually need medication has been hard but I'm reassured that others have benefitted and done okay so its onwards and upwards from here on I suppose. Signed off work for the next month and I can't return till Occy health say I'm fit.  Just hope the side effects aren't too bad.  Might try a run later, not done much of that for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Love and positive vibes to fellow sufferers.  At least the sun is shining today.

• Soup Dragon, how have you got on?

I was signed off in mid February and put on Mirtazapine and Pregaballin.  I'm still off work, but am seeing the company Dr next Monday.

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Leighton - good luck with company dr. I went back to work last Thursday. First few days went fine but my work colleague is being a real bitch resents the reduced hours I'm doing as part of a phased return. She keeps moaning that she's having to do all the work and even swore at me on Friday. I'm going back to occy health on Wednesday and I've asked to be redeployed to another department. If things at work were difficult before you went off, my advice would be don't go back till they are resolved. I thought the CBT tactics I'd learned plus the meds having kicked in would mean I could cope, but now realise that what I'm putting up with is not acceptable under any circumstances. The depression had just made me lose all sense of what was acceptable and not.

Early morning runs helped me when I was off before the meds kicked in though. I might start it up again cos I'm struggling right now.

• Hi Soup Dragon,

sorry to read that things are still bad at work for you.  I'm guessing you've discussed the issues with your HR department?

The last time I saw our Company Dr she said we're looking at June/July for a return to work.  To be honest, I'm struggling at the minute physically, and I think that is because of the meds.  I'm so lethargic, and feel heavy.  I've put nearly 2 stones on in weight, and am now only running once or twice a week which is really disappointing as I was running 3 or 4 times a week. 

Yeh, running is hard when you are down. I put my kit out and forced myself to run before breakfast. I did 30 mins and told myself just a 15 min run, turn round and back again. It worked a treat but I've got out of the habit again and really need to pick it up again.

Have you also tried living life to the full? or beating the blues?

Another good forum is dealing with depression

I had a meeting with the senior manager today about my colleague. He is new and taking it seriously so fingers crossed.

• Good news on the senior manager front.

I managed 3 miles today, but it felt like hell, but it's done.  I like the idea of going before breakfast, but I take a while to "get going" of a morning when I wake up which I think is because of the meds as I take them before bed.

I will take a look at the other forums that you've been kind enough to mention.

I take my meds in the morning otherwise I can't sleep at all (and only get about 5 hours still). When the meds side effects were really bad to begin with  a run was the only thing that helped to clear my head but it often took me half an hour or more to get out of the door. If I didn't go I would sit and stare at the wall for 2 hours doing nothing. A run got me out and showered and moving. I'm going to try and get out for half an hour in the morning before work. 

Its a horrid condition - wouldn't wish it on anyone but it does get better in time. Shame its not better understood, although I've certainly learned who my friends are this past few months. 

I did my run before work. image Had to cut it down to 20mins cos I tripped up and fell my length and gashed my knee but it still set me up well for the day. Then got straight on my bike for the half hour ride to work, calling at the gym close to work for a shower.  Planning on the same thing tomorrow but without the tripping up bit. Running has much more positive effect on my mood than cycling, even though I find it harder. 

• I'm just managing to come off of my meds for the first time in over 2 years eek. Painful and emotional just doesnt cut it!! Worst thing is, I'm feeling really down which is part and parcel of coming off them but my motivation is now zero. When I get home from work I just want a nap!! Anyone got any ideas for how I can give myself a kick up the bum and get back out there? I have a 10k on the 1st Sept and I really want to get a personal best.....

• Can you find a routine that will encourage you to go out. For instance, change into running gear immediately you get home?  I find that once I put on my hrm, I will go out and run, no second thoughts.

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Boing!

Digging this thread out as just been diagnosed with depression this morning and been given a prescription for Citalopram.  Its sort of crept up on me and I got sent home from work yesterday by Occy Health. Admitting I do actually need medication has been hard but I'm reassured that others have benefitted and done okay so its onwards and upwards from here on I suppose. Signed off work for the next month and I can't return till Occy health say I'm fit.  Just hope the side effects aren't too bad.  Might try a run later, not done much of that for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Love and positive vibes to fellow sufferers.  At least the sun is shining today.

Hi Soup Dragon. I have also just been put on Citalopram. To be fair, regarding effects on training, I had no motivation to do anything before. I am finding it is making me quite lethargic by the evening though (I take it at night, I'm not getting much sleep though so maybe I'll try it in the morning, anyone got any advice on this), but find I have to train in the mornings or I'm to exhausted to go, and when not sleeping well the getting up early is pretty hard, so it's turning into a bit of a vicious cycle. The only way I can go in the evenings is, as bos1 says, I change as soon as I get home and go straight out without sitting down - once I've sat down it's over! Anyway, hope you haven't messed up your knee to much.

• Hi DoS. Hope Citaopram works for you. It took a few weeks to kick-in for me and had to increase the dose a bit but it was like someone switching the light on. The side effects have largely gone. I also didn't sleep no matter what time I took it. Tick Tock (Redbush) tea has helped a lot. I had a relapse the other week and sleeping has been difficult again, so hard to say if its a side effect of the Citalpram or the condition itself. Training certainly helped, but I've been really lazy this last few weeks. Thanks for the reminder that I should be out there running. I'll get my trainers out again this weekend. Got a half marathon in September. Bring it on. image

• Hi Guys, I am new to this thread. I have had a whole load of crap thrown at me in the space of three days and am now also on Citalopram. Serious problems with hubby on the Saturday, got injured on the Sunday and lost my job on the Monday. Haven't been able to run for 5 weeks now and will be missing the Edinburgh marathon on Sunday. Had trained so bloody well and was almost certain of a PB, now I am sitting around feeling fat, lethargic and extremely moody. Have been for accupuncture, physio and also to an osteopath but none of it has made any difference. Am quite sure its ITB syndrome. What's frustrating me is that I know if I could run, I wouldn't need the anti-depressants.image

• Ouch Sandi, that's one heck of a triple whammy image

Oh Sandi - sorry to hear that. image Citalopram is crap to start with but it does get better after 2 to 4 weeks. Let us know how you get on. 

• The training you did is not wasted, it's like money in the bank. Often when someone comes back from injury there much better then ever. As for the pills, some times things go wrong and we use up all our serotonin, hopefully they will help restore what your brain needs to function properly. It won't be long before your itb is better and you'll be back on the road. Sign up for another race and get a pb. Things will get better.

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't have time to look through 40,000 messages !

Been advised to start using Sertraline and I'm in Marathon training for most of the year.

Anybody know how Sertraline may affect my training / competing ?

Sorry to hear of your problems SANDI, sending hugs x