Thought you might like this one...

2»

Comments

• I used to work as a writer in an advertising agency (although, I hasten to add, never on the McEvil account).

Many people think advertising is nothing more than 'legalised lying' and I have some sympathy with that view, but ultimately the onus is on the consumer to actually stop a minute and think before getting the cash out. Nobody's being forced to do nuthin' by no-one!

It used to be 'I think, therefore I am', now it's 'I consume, therefore I am'.

And that's sad.
  • The coffee cup lids now come with "caution - liquid in this cup may be VERY hot" or something similar stamped on them. And they are right - what they miss is "caution - this coffee tastes nothing like coffee"!

I do remember seeing one of those old advertising signs in a theme pub saying "Smoke Woodbine - they're good for you" so in that case, there could be a good chance of suing, but nowadays, anyone who smokes knows the risks.

However, given that a US court found in favour of a teenager who sued the guy who had asked her to the prom $100 for the dress she had bought and $1million for hurt feelings, McDs might have a fight on their hands.
  • Nessie, you're right about the coffee, does anybody get past buying it more than once, it's foul.
  • If only the guy had told the prom girl that she LOOKED a million dollars, he could have saved a lot of cash!
  • Nessie, I have some old copies of a medical periodical from the early 1950s in which there is an advertisement stating that "More doctors smoke xxxx than any other brand of cigarette". I have some sympathy with smokers who got addicted pre-1960 when the dangers of smoking weren't readily accepted, and none whatsoever with anyone who took up the habit after that. Still would actively discourage individuals from pursuing litigation about such things, though. I look forward to the day when there is a mass action against The Accident Group for preying on the vulnerable discontented and sucking out their souls.

And although the current issue of RW reminds us that we cen seek compensation for tripping over a speck of dust on the road, I tend to tell people who consult to have their injuries documented after a "slip or trip that wasn't their fault" that they'd feel so much better if they acepted that they should have been watching where they were putting their big stupid feet.
  • I nearly bust a gut laughing when I heard Claims Direct had gone bankrupt. A clear case for seeking damages if ever there was one.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that Claims direct has gone bust !!!! Those claims companies are sooooo irritating! Where has self responsibility gone ? In my work ( catering), a directive from the health and safety board - I have to inform new employees that knives are sharp and must not be picked up by the blade !!!
  • Hear hear! Very pleased but not at all surprised to see so many sane and humorous views on this post. At least the forum can be an oasis of common sense even if the rest of the world's gone mad. Unfortunately it's greed that motivates the litigation trend and that's been around since before St Velociraptor's time and is unlikely to be eradicated.
    BTW, I'm thinking of suing RW for providing a forum where I waste too much work time. Now that should come with a health warning!
  • I've just noticed on our coffee machine at work has a sign on it saying "Beware - Hot Water".

• You all really need to go look at www.stellaawards.com where you'll find more on this kind of nonsense.

For example:

Rosemary Aquavia, a secretary for the mayor of Naugatuck, Conn., was
    reprimanded by her supervisor for personal use of a borough fax machine.
    She filed a federal lawsuit against the town for violating her First
    Amendment right to free speech. A jury of her peers agreed, and awarded
    her one cent in damages. In a post-trial motion, Aquavia appealed to U.S.
    District Court Judge Janet Arterton to increase her damages -- to one
    dollar. The judge turned down the appeal.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Very good! Does any one know the outcome of the case cited in the OP?