Vegan Shoes

This website isn't bad for lists on suitable shoes. Also New Balance confirm vegan friendly on some on their web site.

http://unreasonable.org/vegan/leather-substitutes.html#athl

Comments

• Which ones did you go for wrabbit?
  • Is this a joke thread ?
    I thought that running shoe manufacturers had been using synthetic "leather" for several years. None of the running shoes that I have bought in the last 4 years have had the remotest trace of real leather.
  • no, not a joke. Good to hear you've found some suitable options, wrabbit.
  • Hi SB, when you are vegan there are more options to consider than just whether the shoes are leather or not. Glue is often made from animal by products.
    I haven't made a decision yet, now I have so much choice... gotta save some pennys.
    Thanks to everyone for your help!
    Just need to meet a sexy vege/vegan runner and my life will be complete ;¬)
  • Tunney I have seen this one - very good I thought... did you know Scott Adams Dilbert's creator is vegetarian and owns a company selling vege and vegan food - gosh I must get out more! :)
  • Surely the most important criterion when choosing running shoes is whether they suit your gait.
  • Thats a good one, true too! There is only so much you can do to be vegan, you do have to draw the line somewhere otherwise you would never run for fear of squashing an ant!

wrabbit, do you often get people telling you that a vegan diet is not suitable for someone who runs/trains a lot? What do you say? The usual sort you know, "how do you get enough pretein?" etc etc!
  • Very true...I just try and do what I can.
    True again it is important to have the correct shoe for the correct foot, but choice is important too, so I guess I want both and think that this is not asking too much!
    Well I don't run around telling everyone I am vegan (cuse the pun)...so no, though I read something that said 'have you ever heard of anyone that has been hospitalised due to lack of protein' which I think just about sums it up. I am aware of what vitamins and minerals are in the food that I eat moreso now that I am vegan, but I think that this is a good thing. If people knew some of the rubbish they were putting into their bodies they may reconsider their diet.
  • Thats true, its mainly non-runners/cyclists/sports people with no idea about nutrition that seem to think they know better than me about my diet lol! Luckily it doesn't happen too often.
  • so you're looking for a 'sexy vegan runner' eh, wrabbit?

well i'm definitely a 'vegan runner' - not sure about the 'sexy' bit though! ;o)
  • Well turbodicky (interesting name) you certainly have a charismatic look about you!

How's the running going...?

Anyone done the Brighton/Reebok 10k?
  • Yeah, pretty charismatic, as far as weird grinning pigs go, I guess.

I am currently struggling with my running, injury-wise, and it's getting on my t*ts! It was going so well too, but recently it's all started to go pear-shaped.

I'm supposed to be running my very first race on 5th October (10k) and got a 1/2M place booked in mid-December.

And my stupid legs won't do what I tell them to!
  • Pretty impressive you going straight into a 10km... how many miles do you normally do a week?
    I've not reached 10k status myself but set myself a training plan of mid/end November, hence thinking of booking in for the Brighton run...

Shame about your legs and injuries I'm sure someone here can help? Good Luck for Sunday!
  • As posted before, all Saucony products (except the leather uppered fitness shoes - obviously!) are vegan friendly.

I'll try to get something posted on the relevant shoe pages on the website.
  • Check out the Brighton 10K thread on the events forum wrabbit, there's a whole bunch of forumites doing it. Better book your place quick if you want to run though as it tends to fill up early.
  • In fact postal entries are closing this weekend by the looks of it (online entries already closed).

Should be a compulsory race for all vegan forumites actually - where else can you go out for vegan bangers & mash after the race??!!
  • Excuse me resurrecting this thread, I was out of the country when this vegan discussion was going on. (I'm looking for a thread about how to make Asics 2080s mor comfortable i.e. stop the blisters on my arches). Made me feel guilty as I did just go for the best shoe for me (is 40+ miles a week any excuse at all?) Maybe it's just karma that I have blisters.

What did you go for in the end Wrabbit and are they working out?

• I still haven't gone for anything yet - the pennies are not quite up to it, but I will before the year is out and will let you know. It is currently looking like New Balance are ahead in the running (oh dear)!
    Are you a vegan Donna?
  • Yes, I am vegan and am pretty good at avoiding leather although I usually just opt for synthetic shoes (rather than ordering from vegetarian shoes as I kept having to wait for ages and then got shoes that were too large - just don't get that much time!)
  • Yes I know what you mean - I still think the on-line choice is pretty poor and very expensive. I am currently looking for a nice pair of boots - think I am going to try ShoeFayre as they seem to have a reasonable selection of synthetic - I'm never sure about the glue though... it is good to speak to a fellow vegan, thought me and technodicky where the only ones... I have only been one for about 6 months, so I'm still working it all out, there is a distinct lack of convenience food in my neighbourhood, not that I want to eat it all the time, but it would be handy for the freezer... oh dear I'm droning on, on the wrong website. I'll be back when I've got he shoes!
  • Which area do you live in?

I'm in London so it's pretty easy to get some convenience food (lovely tofu hot dogs and things). Also plenty of places to eat out and buy vegan cakes. I've been vegan for about three years now and still miss things like pizza and many. many cakes.

I think most glue in normal shoes is pretty unvegan. I just try to strike a balance (and make my pre-vegan days shoes last as long as possible!)

What running are you doing at the moment and how's it going? (no one else seems to be on this thread anyway so I don't expect it matters if we go off on a tangent.)
  • There's a shop (or was perhaps) in Brighton called "Vegan Shoes". Can't remember the name of the road, just down the hill from the station and then head for the sea.
  • Try a shop Called - Altberg Bootmakers, in richmond (N.Yorks) They do a range of Vegan boots/shoes using a leather substitute called "lorica" - try this link
    www.altberg.co.uk
  • Thanks everyone for your help, but I guess due to shallow tendancies I wanted a normal sexy sort of pointy boot like everyone else has (call me a sheep, but I don't care I like sheep) I just want to be vegan and normal but I am guessing that is too much too ask.... maybe one day!
  • p.s. Donna the running is going bad right now, I have not been out since last Monday due to a cold and then after 3 weeks another cold, which has really put me behind, then just when I thought I was on top of it, I had parent and boyfriend trouble, so all in all I'm very behind. But next week I shall be back with the swing.. I really need to book myself in for a 10k in my area, but there doesn't seem to be much happing. I am in Surrey/Hampshire border by the way.. London is great, I would love to live there, but can't afford it, and am not sure whether it would be safe for my cats even if I could...
  • (Not very safe for cats I should imagine. My dog got adopted by my dad when I moved back here.)

One of my best friend lives in Farnham - I'm guessing that's near you. Falafel is the best thing ever available from supermarkets, really quick dinner with Tahini or hummous and some salad in pitta bread.

Good luck when you go out next and for training for a 10k Races seem to get very full this time of year, there were several I was too late for that were about a month away.

On the boots front this does seem to be the only option and they are quite expensive...
    http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk

• Donna, a miracle, I live in Weybourne which is just outside Farnham,like about 1/2 mile, weird eh! I shall be trawling the Farnham pubs this Saturday with my mate...
    I think I shall book myself in for a 10k in 2004 , it will be something to aim for to keep me going!
    I'll check that w/s out thank you very much, it's been good to talk!
  • I'm visiting my friend Lisa on the 22nd - I'll look out for you running by!