half outlaw

Comments

• I'm hotelling it due to not being able to register on the morning as it being just a tad too far from home to register on the sat and drive back Sun a.m. I would have camped but my mate won't rough it!
  • Well after entering this on the day entries went open, then pulling out because it didn't fit with the rest of my race calendar, I may now be back in doing the Bike leg of a relay team...if the wife says I can image

• I'm hotelling it too. I'm coming down saturday am for the briefing etc, Mrs Matt can't make it until later. As its only 1 night we'll splash out on the hotel.For teh big one I'd like to be in the middle of the action and happy to camp it up image

Feeling MUCH better prepared for this than it's big brother!

• oh I am not feeling well prepared, but if I can get through the bike I can do it. Swim should be ok, I have swum that distance loads of times, just need to have a couple of OW swims to get used to cold water and remember to sight. Can't run, but if I get through the bike on time I can walk the distance in the time allowed. Might be the last to cross the line, but who cares?? Going to have a long bike ride this Sunday  and practice eating and drinking on the bike and a fuelling strategy, as this is what might let me down

• I fell off the bike last week whilst on training camp in Spain but still managed to bike and swim but not run. Seems I have fractured my cheek bone so on rest this week, or a few days at least. I will be getting jittery if I am not back training for this pronto though.
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Ouch Saffers that is hard core, hope it mends quickly for you. I need to get open water swimming sorted then I'll be able to say I'm ready.

• I was hoping to start open water swimming next week but have a open sore from the fall on my leg and not sure I should be getting into duck poo water until it has healed up. That will be a right pain as there isn't long til the big day and I wanted to get a few goes at Thorpe lakes again this year.
  • Has anyone got the route I can put onto hubby's garmin edge as I'm planning on doing  a recce soon.  Ta 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am hoping to get to Thorpe lake next weekend, but doubt wether I will swim very far on the first visit.

• Steady CJ - are they open.. Lake in Sheperton won't open til water is 12 degrees and it's only 9 at the moment. They're talking mid to end May and I'm getting worried

• race numbers and start times are up on the website, oh god, can I do this???

•  

mathschick wrote (see)

race numbers and start times are up on the website, oh god, can I do this???

In a word....... nah

• Seriously? There's loads of time yet!! image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Yep maths and all the women are in the last wave so we get the least time before the cut off. They've obviously heard all about our wondrous speed swimming image

Also you can only rack your bike between 5am-6.20am Sunday morning which seems brave to me. Racking 1300 bikes in 80 mins? They must be organised, I guess we drop of transition bags at the same time too.

I know they've got to do this though as they've got the national sprint tri going on, on Saturday.

Fun, fun fun. I'd better get in the lake and get swimming., oh an buy some tinted goggles.

• It's a big transition area and numbered so at least there's space. It'll be the helmet/bike sticker checks that will hold people up. 

It'll be a lot easier for us teams than for those with a lof of transition kit.

One tip for those camping.  At the 2011 Outlaw I got up and did all the transitiony bits immediately then came back to the tent for breakfast, chill out and get ready.  This could be a good strategy here.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Ali - yeah, while I wouldn't want to start first and have all the speedy guys swimming over the top of me, I am slow at everything so have less time to reach all the cutoffs. oh well!

• Thanks for the tip Timmy - I'll be camping along with a friend + OH. I'm pretty sure I haven't trained enough as it has taken much longer to recover from my frist marathon a few weeks ago. I think the best I can do is maintain marathon fitness and hope for the best.

It all feels a bit abstract at the moment.. fingers crossed.

• Mathschick - as someone with experience of going close to the cutoff, I would have thought the cutoff should be from when you start not from when the first wave starts?

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

erm, the cutoffs are all in respect of the start of the final wave, so you have to be out of T1 1 hour 8 mins after the start of the final wave - still gives the people in the first wave more time. Anyway, moot point, just need to make sure I beat the cutoffs!!

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

The race info says "All competitors must have started their cycle by 1 hour and I minutes after the start of the final wave. After this transition exit will  be closed and any athlete still within the swim or transition will be stopped. "

So setting off at 6:52 instead of 6:30 gives you 20 minutes less time to finish the swim and be out on the bike.

It is what it is and I know it would be hard to marshall a rolling cut off time.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I camped at Outlaw last year, I will probably have porridge, then rack, then have a second small breakfast, as I burn up so much nervous energy.

ACoops, it will be good to meet up with you again.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Sorry that should say "1 hour and 8 minutes"

• AliBear30 wrote (see)

The race info says "All competitors must have started their cycle by 1 hour and I minutes after the start of the final wave. After this transition exit will  be closed and any athlete still within the swim or transition will be stopped. "

So setting off at 6:52 instead of 6:30 gives you 20 minutes less time to finish the swim and be out on the bike.

It is what it is and I know it would be hard to marshall a rolling cut off time.

But the cutoff was always 1h 08min, so you've got no less time - i.e. the cut off hasn't reduced at all.   

You'll be fine...Holme Pierrepoint is just like a big swimming pool and you've got to swim half a length turn round and half a length back.  You can swim two half lengths in a pool can't you? image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Timmy_G I like your style of thinking! Yep I 'm not saying we have less time to reach the cut off than was advertised. But those in the first group do get 20 mins extra and I admit to being a bit jealous.

But I would rather that than risk getting swum over by the fast boys.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Alibear I think the women will be competitive as well.

Timmy great thinking 2 lengths of a large OW Pool.

• Does that mean we have to float around for 20mins in cold water befor we can start or do we not get in til we're ready to go

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I should think it will be not getting in until we're ready to go, with the number of participants. I remember standing in the cold dark water thinking it looked like a horrible green soup because all the feet had disturbed algae and weed.
    I did a big swim at Dorney last year and you had to wait around until your wave was called to get in.

• Thanks.Can't see the water being Mediterranean like in 4 weeksimage

• You definitely won't have to wait in the water for 20mins.  In the real Outlaw you start just in the water, so your wave will probably move in a few mins before start time.

The water at HPP is fine, can be a bit weedy but the relays should have cleared that out the day before image  

Just be careful of the slipway down into the water - it can be quite green and slippery.  One of the years I did the Outlaw, I saw a guy slip quite heavily onto his back - not a great way to start a long day.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

The info pack says
    All swimmers will be required to pass over a check matt before starting the swim. All swimmer need to pass the check matt 10 mins prior to the start of their wave. The swim will start in the water using half the width of the lake, so it will be approx. 50 meters wide. There are 2 separate bays bay 1for simmers under 40mins bay 2 for swimmers over 40 mins.

So we all waves don't need to be at the start at the same time.

It also says starts will be deep water starts and athletes will be given warnings at 5 mins, 3mins and 2 mins and final warning at 1 minute.

So I think it will be easy to get right. I hope so anyway as I'm well known for being rather distracted and uncoordinated on race day.

You can download the full pack from the website

http://dload.osb.s3.amazonaws.com/info/outlawhalf13info.pdf