wearing headphones/earphones

Comments

• I was only joking, but they basically do the same job as a Garmin if you are half decent at Mathis.
  •  

Giving Assistance

2. Any athlete giving or receiving assistance from within the

competition area during an event shall be warned by the Referee and

advised that, if there is any repetition, he will be disqualified from

that event. If an athlete is subsequently disqualified from the event,

any performance accomplished up to that time in the same round of

that event shall not be considered valid. However, performances

accomplished in a previous round of that event shall be considered

valid.

For the purpose of this Rule, the following shall be considered

assistance, and are therefore not allowed:

(a) pacing in races by persons not participating in the same race,

by athletes lapped or about to be lapped or by any kind of

technical device (other than those permitted under Rule

144.2(g)).

(b) possession or use of video or cassette recorders, radios, CD,

radio transmitters, mobile phone or similar devices in the arena.

(c) except for shoes complying with Rule 143, the use of any

technology or appliance that provides the user with an

advantage which he would not have obtained using the

equipment specified in the Rules.

For the purpose of this Rule, the following shall not be considered

assistance, and are therefore allowed:

(d) Communication between the athletes and their coaches not

placed in the competition area. In order to facilitate this

communication and not to disturb the staging of the competition,

a place in the stands, close to the immediate site of each Field

Event, should be reserved to the athletes’ coaches.

(e) Medical examination / treatment and/or physiotherapy necessary

to enable an athlete to participate or continue participation once

on the competition area. Such medical examination / treatment

and/or physiotherapy may be provided either on the competition

area itself by the official medical staff appointed by the

Organising Committee and identified by armbands, vests or

similar distinctive apparel or in designated medical treatment

areas outside the competition area by accredited team medical

RULE 144

IAAF COMPETITION RULES 2012-2013

personnel specifically approved by the Medical or Technical

Delegate for the purpose. In neither case shall the intervention

delay the conduct of the competition or an athlete’s trial in the

designated order. Such attendance or assistance by any other

person whether during competition or immediately before

competition once athletes have left the Call Room is assistance.

(f) Any kind of personal safeguard (e.g. bandage, tape, belt,

support, etc.) for protection and/or medical purposes. The

Referee in conjunction with the Medical Delegate shall have the

authority to verify any case should he judge that to be desirable.

(See also Rule 187.4.)

(g) Devices carried personally by athletes during a race such as

heart rate or speed distance monitors or stride sensors, provided

that such device cannot be used to communicate with any other

• T those are the athletics rules not the road running rules

• They cover road running as they came from the road running section. But it seems to me UKA took their lead from IAAF

• The fact still remains that using a GPS isn't going to potentially hinder another runner or be a safety hazard whereas wearing headphones could do.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If they got seriously anorak, and decided to try and enforce stopping people using the Garmins for pacing, I wonder how they'd get on deciding who was using it simply to tell the time, who was using it for occasional looks at their split per mile, and who was actually using it as a purely pacing tool.

In my experience, one minute in a race it might say you're doing 5.20 pacing, then the next might say 6.05, so it's not the easiest thing to do anyway!

A guy came racing past me at the finish in my last race, nothing necessarily odd about that, but i was pelting home, and he still outstripped me. I was slightly surprised as I have a good finish, but the chap didn't have a watch on.

He must have hugely undercooked it elsewhere to be able to finish with what was pretty much a flat out 100metre sprint! A garmin would have suited that chap!

• Where any rule is concerned it needs to clear and concise, the UKA rules are generally not and should be seen as guides, as it would be impossible to draw up a generic rule list that would apply in every scenario. It is up to the individual race directors to use the UKA guide and to issue their own concise rules based on this guide and their own assessment. 

• DarenF I am not sure about that, watch in your next race, the fixation with GPS watches means every other runner wears one, and everyone seems to check them every ten strides, this can be as dodgy as any other issue regarding awareness. 

• If he's looking to see if other people are looking at their gps watches won't he

A) forget to look at his own watch

B) crash into people cos he's not looking where he is going
  • Good point, there are so many more dangerous distractions than a jogger than listening to music

• The Lycra clad a$$ that I was following on a 10k last Sunday was very distracting !
  • Ha ha I've had occasions where I've been dragged along by those

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    If he's looking to see if other people are looking at their gps watches won't he

A) forget to look at his own watch

B) crash into people cos he's not looking where he is going

sniggers

• So to sum up ... it's alright to use an mp3 during a race because:
    - other people not wearing phones do daft things too
    - I have the music low enough to hear what's going on .. what's that, pardon?
    - they can't stop me
    - some runners are deaf
    - who cares what the race director thinks anyway?
    - I want to, and that's what matters because it's all about me.

• 9 pages in a nutshell Muttley, you've go to love a precisimage

• Muttley sums it up perfectly in the last 2 points.
  • ...er no actually, it's all about me. image

• You forgot:

- The Race Director doesn't really give a sh1t, he's happy enough taking my money.image

• i think all those that run with their dogs in training should take their dogs with them.........

just because the rules say there is no dogs allowed.............how can the runners be expected to run without them when they run all their training runs with them and they are never ever any trouble.(apart from the arse snifing )

and I'm sure blind people would be allowed their dogs .........so if its ok for those with a disabluily is should be ok for those without.............

and how would the race director police it.he can't just make the dog leave the course....he would bite them 

• What about the lucky runners who persuade a family member to come with them on a bike on their long runs to carry the juice and gels etc.  Gonna be some busy races with the dogs and bikes all over the place, still at least some music to listen to, mind you some of that might need vetting as well!image

• Serious one. Is getting Jelly Babies, bananas etc off spectators against any rules? ie. receiving aid outside of water stations?

• GazOC wrote (see)

Serious one. Is getting Jelly Babies, bananas etc off spectators against any rules? ie. receiving aid outside of water stations?

Depends if you have to fight them for themimage

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    The Lycra clad a$$ that I was following on a 10k last Sunday was very distracting !

as a woman in my lycra clad shorts i hope i can be a distractionimage  I wore a bunny tail at the recent Bacchus HM which seemed to be a distraction including the passing motorists still nothing like a good hoot to keep your spirits up 

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    The Lycra clad a$$ that I was following on a 10k last Sunday was very distracting !

EKGO wrote (see)

Ha ha I've had occasions where I've been dragged along by those

shall i wear it for Chester thenimage

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

If they got seriously anorak, and decided to try and enforce stopping people using the Garmins for pacing, I wonder how they'd get on deciding who was using it simply to tell the time, who was using it for occasional looks at their split per mile, and who was actually using it as a purely pacing tool.

In my experience, one minute in a race it might say you're doing 5.20 pacing, then the next might say 6.05, so it's not the easiest thing to do anyway!

A guy came racing past me at the finish in my last race, nothing necessarily odd about that, but i was pelting home, and he still outstripped me. I was slightly surprised as I have a good finish, but the chap didn't have a watch on.

He must have hugely undercooked it elsewhere to be able to finish with what was pretty much a flat out 100metre sprint! A garmin would have suited that chap!

Darren Stevie etc... the rules say that speed distance sensors ARE allowed as long as don't use them to communicate with other runners. Read them properly. (a)-(c) not permitted, (d)-(g) permitted. SO you could use a garmin, but not a mobile phone to pace.

GazOC wrote (see)

Serious one. Is getting Jelly Babies, bananas etc off spectators against any rules? ie. receiving aid outside of water stations?

I'm pretty sure that it isn't allowed, at least not unless it is offered to everyone in the race and approved by the race director, but I can't find anything in the rules, I can only find this rule in regard to timing. So I'm going to go with maybe....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dancing, lighten up, you answer so seriously to stuff people pose as not entirely serious questions!

Lighten up, or we'll send you out for some tartan paint

• So we're not allowed to call each other on our mobiles during races ... damn.

• bionic-hip? wrote (see)

Liverbird you're right - anything that aids you is covered depending on how you interpret the rule but if that is the case then why are GPS devices, that clearly are more of an aid than listening to a bit of music, not banned?

Stop being sheep - stand up for your rights

What rights?

Muttley wrote (see)

So to sum up ... it's alright to use an mp3 during a race because:
    - other people not wearing phones do daft things too
    - I have the music low enough to hear what's going on .. what's that, pardon?
    - they can't stop me
    - some runners are deaf
    - who cares what the race director thinks anyway?
    - I want to, and that's what matters because it's all about me.

Mutts for PM.