Options

Autumn or Summer

In the last 5 days i've complete 3 PBs in training, 2 minutes 10 secs off 6 miles,1 minute 14 secs off 7.5 miles and today, 2 minutes 25 secs off 10 miles.Obviously I'm over my injury problems, but i am finding running in the cooler Autumn temperatures easier.Its been a hot Summer and I have found running on hot days, hard work.Has anyone else seen improvement in their running this Autumn?

Comments

• Options
    I am in total agreement with you OT but I am a Scot and never happier than running XC or up a hill in the rain/snow.
    Been living down here for a year now and summer is a fair few degrees warmer than in NE Scotland so I tend to race very sparingly or stick to short stuff.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, OT - during that hot weather I was getting a bit disheartened as I appeared to be losing fitness even though I was still keeping up my training. Even on routes I normally run easily I was finding myself taking (sometimes frequent) walking breaks and on occasion I felt more like a lead weight than a runner!

Having just completed my first half marathon in 1:51 without any stops I know now that I haven't lost fitness, but was seriously affected by the heat.

Winter - bring it on!
  • Options
    I'm only a plodder but much happier plodding in cool weather - quite like running in rain, too. That 100-degree stuff in August just sapped all energy.

Only prob with autumn is dark evenings and having to run straight from work in town (where there are streetlights) rather than at home (which is pitch black).
  • Options
    Can't say I've "improved" but much prefer those crisp days when you can get dressed up, know you'll be warm but not cold -bring on the hat and glove weather!
  • Options
    I certainly find that the summer heat drains my energy away, so like others, I'm happy it is autumn. I just hope that the light doesn't go too quickly!
  • Options
    I'm OK up to about 80'F, then i start to struggle. I love the heat and sun.
  • Options
    I've chalked up yet another PB, knocking 20 secs off my 3 mile run.I'm certainly more suited to Autumn running.
  • Options
    Well done, OT. You'll be flying by Christmas!
  • Options
    According to Noakes' Lore of Running studies have been conducted to show that the fastest marathons have been recorded with ambient temps of 10-13C. If it gets colder or hotter the pace slows. I'm sure this would be applicable to shorter races as well. I suspect there would be even better correlation if all factors determining the rate of heat loss were accurately recorded (Temp, wind, humidity, sun etc).

Paula's run in Villamoura was probably very equivalent to her GNR run except that she couldn't get rid of the heat.

In addition moving into Autumn with ambient temps dropping continuously you'll be able to lose a lot more heat having adapted somewhat to the Summer temps. Whereas in the Spring a slight rise in temp can be quite devastating - witness FLM last year - city temps a couple of degrees up on other areas, the local heating from the crowded race, the quick rise in temp during the race and bright sun with no one able to adapt to these conditions (Of course Paula got the best of the conditions...)
  • Options
    I don't do well in hot weather, much prefer to run in rain and snow, but with the summer we've had I just had to learn to deal with it. We've raced triathlon almost every weekend from mid-May to now, I did adapt fairly well to running in hot sunshine but with slower times than in cold weather and I still don't like it much.
  • Options
    I have to say I prefer autumn or spring when it is still warm enough to run in shorts but cool enough to not sap your energy. I enjoy summer but avoid the heat of the day by running in the evening or (rarely) morning). I certainly do better when it is cooler!