Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• 12 Miles done this morning. Have decided to try High Five Zero tablets for my longer runs. They're a lot less sickly than sports drinks and just replace electrolytes. I'm going to keep up with the Jelly Babies but a few less this time round! Not sure what will be given out on the day ......... I'd better check the website and see.

Have a great weekend folks. Enjoy your races/runs. Stay safe .....

• cybarev wrote (see)

12 Miles done this morning. Have decided to try High Five Zero tablets for my longer runs. They're a lot less sickly than sports drinks and just replace electrolytes. I'm going to keep up with the Jelly Babies but a few less this time round! Not sure what will be given out on the day ......... I'd better check the website and see.

Have a great weekend folks. Enjoy your races/runs. Stay safe .....

Yep, I'm going to try some SIS gels for my next few long runs just to see if they agree with me rather than relying solely on the jelly babies

• I also think you will find them easier to carry than jelly babies.  Do they not all get stuck into a sticky mess?!image

• I use high 5 zero seems to agree with me & there gels
  • I use the Isogels - I used to use SIS gels but find the Isogels a little less sticky and a little less sweet
  • Have any of you tried "Clif shot blocs" lots of cycling shops stock them, I use them when I do Ultras, I don't like eating at marathons.

20 miles for me this morning, stepped it up a bit sneaked under 2.30.

Had an appointment at the Cardiologist after my run, they still won't discharge meimage

Enjoy your long runs.

• Morning

I had a friend who swore by the shot blocks, and said they tasted great too!  I haven't used them myself.  Are they good?  I just find carrying sweets a bit of a hassle, though I do like them!  Do you think there will be any on the course?  LOL at the GNR when the locals come out with ice pops and biscuits for the runners!!

Well done on your runs people, you are all doing loads more than me, it makes me feel nervous!

My plan for this week:

Today, 6 miles

Tues....Spin class and 45 mins in gym (cross trainer, stepper etc)

Wed , rest

Thursday 5 miles

Friday , Rest

Saturday 14 miles

Sunday 4 miles slow

I will also walk with the dog/baby for at least an hour a day.  I wish I could do more, but it's really hard to find the time, plus, looking after a 13 week old is tiringimage.

Windy and a bit drizzly and cold...I believe there is snow blizzards forecast for later, so I am going to pop out within the hour before my partner leaves for work.

Whats everyone else up to??

RP

• Hi RP my long run today when I finish at. Little apprehensive after the calves have been a little sore. Hopefully be ok, see how it goes if its not right today think I may have to take rest of wk off
  • Long run tomorrow of 14 miles, then 8 miles Thursday and Friday and a 7 mile easier run on Saturday

Feel like I'm starting to pick up post-Christmas so may reintroduce the Monday cross-train and leave Wednesday and Sunday as rest days although Sundays usually involve training and refereeing junior tag rugby players

2 psychological milestones coming for me

1) Going over 13 miles for the first time, have done several 13 milers during HM training and 1 so far for the marathon. Get it done tomorrow and I'll be more positive going into the remaining 14+ mile training runs that come over the next 2 months

2) Going into the race itself when I won't have covered the full distance before in training, I think my longest run is going to be 20 miles in training

RP - Keep going, you're doing great at the juggling act of children, home etc. I fit my runs around the fact we both work full-time, take it in turns to do the school run etc etc. There will always be someone doing far more mileage than you are and so long as you're getting out that's the main thing

That's why I don't currently do my long run at weekend but I'm going to struggle to fit a run in that's longer than 14 miles before I go to work, so I could be taking the odd half way off as I struggle to run in the evenings after work plus the traffic always seems worse

It was light when I went out on Saturday morning and that made me feel more positive and the run more pleasant (plus the lack of snow and ice!) and the result was my best run of the year timewise (which I'm trying not to stress too much about) and getting back to the speeds I had in October/November last year

Spring is on the way (he said as forecasts predict more snow in the next day or so)

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

I crept round a 14 miler yesterday. Like you, robin, I've only done HMs before this. Now I've done a 15m, 13m & 14m in 8 days and it's really feeling hard. Each run is slower and more of a struggle than the last. It feels like I'm breaking down the half-marathon runner in order to build a marathon runner.

On the good side, though, none of this feels like injury or overtraining. It's just tiredness. I know it'll get better - it's all part of the adventure. 

I'll do another 13m run home from work on Wednesday, all being well.

• Robin, are you following the plan off the GMM website? Think it gradually builds up the long runs. You have run half maras and I am sure you can increase the distance image. I never believed I could last year but after following the training plan I actually found I suffered less during the marathon than my 3 halfs. A few tips that helped me. Carry enough water and also gels. At mo I am taking dextrose tablets. I was advised to take on some nutrition every hour of running. I also did this thing of estimating how long my long run would take then dividing it up into 15 min blocks, so 3 hour run was 12 blocks, so after an hour I was  4 out of 12 the way through my run! Strange but helped me. I was also advised by a good friend to make my longest run 21 miles as the extra 5 on the day was just your local home loop. Worked for meimage. I am not actually running the GMM this year but keep an eye on the thread. I am doing the Marathon of the North on the same day instead then the York mara in Oct.

• I managed 16 miles on Sunday - not too fast but concentrated on staying as comfortable as possible.  Luckily IT band behaved itself - yippee!  Lily - agree that it's a good idea to split the distance into manageable blocks.  I ran my first marathon with a friend and we shared a gel every six miles so that split things up nicely, and we'd planned to talk about something different every mile - but got to 21 before realising that we'd totally forgotten!  There seemed to be so much to look at, or other runners to chat to that the miles just flew by - not literally, as we were obviously running slowly enough to chat....

• sounds like your plan worked well Auntie Ninja image, I run with a friend once a week and we manage to chat the whole way, def goes quicker!

• Hi Robin...yes, I will attempt my first 14 miler of this plan this weekend.

Like you say, it is a big psychological barrier to get that out of the way.

I realise you won't be running marathon distance in training, but neither will anyone (anyone with any sense anyway!).  I try and do one 22 miler normally, but I won't be doing that this time....I don't think my body could cope!  They reckon there is more risk to running much over 20 miles in training than there is to benefit, so bear in mind.

Yep, when I was in work I would often take days holidays to do a really long run, so as not to impact on my weekend too much.  A 20 miler on a weekend is all consuming...lets face it, you can't drink the night before, then it take hours (at least 3.30 for me), then you have to get showered and fed....then you are too spaced out and knackered to be of any use to anyone, so you don't do a lot the rest of the day....then you can't wallk to well the next day, ha ha!  Lucky for me, my partner is a runner too, so he understandsimage

I am glad people seem to be remaining injury free.....long may it continue. 

I don't know how people can talk and run!  I mean, I am not so breathless I can't talk, but I just prefer to be in my own little world.  Truth be told, I am normally struggling before long, and I fear I would not be very good company!

RP

• I suppose I was lucky in that the group I started to run with are more social than competitive runners, and a run is usually associated with a chance for a good chat (followed by tea and toast on a Sunday - very civilised!).  Races are different, and I usually prefer to run alone then so that I can give it my all - my first marathon being the one exception.  It might be different this time as having hobbled round the last with an injury I want to prove to myself that I can actually run one this time - hopefully!

Juat had a sports massage today - not sure I'll ever walk again, let alone run!

• RP very good description of how I would describe myself doing a long run, especially the bit at the end 'too spaced out and knackered to be of any use to anyone'! Made me laugh.

AN, well done on the 16miler, you're well on track. Hope you stay injury free.

I did my first hilly session today. Legs are now nicely aching!

Six mile slow one for me tomorrow.
  • Morning everyone, no probs with my long run yesterday apart from last 3 miles into 30mph head winds 11 m/m for them but was determined not to sack it & catch bus home even tho tempted,wondering is there any point to this. Prob not was my conclusion but I'm a stubborn git. Do you hav reg sports massages AN? I've considered them but with cost of every thing else these days not something uve indulged in. Rest day for me, apart from usual work to work. Enjoy your day all
  • Booked my train tickets North from the capital yesterday.  Cheap singles have been out for a day or so now.  Snap them up!

• 14 miler this morning in some "interesting" conditions, no great shakes timewise but felt like I had something left in the tank at the end so really pleased and bodes well for a 16 mile run next week

I think the RW curse has struck my jelly babies, they never used to get sticky but since someone mentioned it on the thread, I've had "edibility" issues

I run on my own, some of the other parents from the school playground have a running group but they're fairly competitive. I go to races with them but tend to run on my own where I can keep my own pace

Redpanda wrote (see)

A 20 miler on a weekend is all consuming...lets face it, you can't drink the night before, then it take hours (at least 3.30 for me), then you have to get showered and fed....then you are too spaced out and knackered to be of any use to anyone, so you don't do a lot the rest of the day....then you can't wallk to well the next day, ha ha!  Lucky for me, my partner is a runner too, so he understandsimage

RP

Glad I'm not the only one who still wants to have a few beers at weekend as a reward and organises their running schedule accordingly image

• Marking my place...  Might as well, seens as I am doing my 20 miler this week.

• agree with the longer weekend runs being a bit of a time sink. off to a 40th on saturday where i can't really drink because i've got to be up early ish on Sunday morning to do my 18mi run then get back, shower etc before doing lunch for family.

still, it's important to keep up things outside of running, as much as possible, otherwise risk getting running blindness.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

still, it's important to keep up things outside of running, as much as possible, otherwise risk getting running blindness.

Yep, Mrs RR wasn't too happy when the running shoes came on holiday with us

I enjoy my shortest run of the week on a Saturday as I know I've still got the rest of the day to get stuff done having got up early plus it always seems like an easier, enjoyable run be it because it's shorter or whatever reason and then I get to have a relaxing evening knowing I'm not running on Sunday

I don't profess to be an athlete by any means but it is great to read alot of the posts on here which are reassuring and show that many others on here have the same thoughts, issues and approach

• yes, we are all in the same boat!

I always prefer to do my long run on a Saturday, so I can have a drink on Saturday night...plus, if the weather is absolutely dreadful on a Saturday, you can delay until Sunday if you have to.  Admitedly, I would do it in the week if I could, but it has to be the weekend on account of the baby.

Well done Rob on your run yesterday.  I know what you mean by thinking "whats the point?"...but the point is, it does make you stronger.  If you can soldier on in the freezing cold wind and hail, then you will breeze through the course...on a nice Spring day (it better had be!)

Well done on you run today RR...It's pretty grim out there, though it seems to have settled a bit now, but it was horrid earlier.  Damn cold though.  LOL...that would have been me who questioned about the jelly babies.  I have cursed you!

One thing I find quite good, and they don't get too sticky is those Lucozade tablet sweets..I think Dextrose do them too.  They are a bit "chalky", but they actually taste ok, and they are easier than jelly sweets to transport....they need to be crunched up though, to make sure you don't choke, lol!...Another thought...at Windermere marathon they were giving out Kendal mint cake at various stages.  That was excellent, and I do quite like it...it might be a abit easier to carry as well, as you can just nibble as and when?  A lot of people hate it, but I quite like it.

A walk later for me, then gym and spin...glad I will be indoors if I am honest.

RP

• Love Kendal mint cake, it's a toughie fitting it all in around family life etc, the less impact it has the easier it is to get on with. That's what I tell myself at 5:30 am
  • I know Rob, it's finding the time.  I am on maternity leave at the minute but it's going to be really tough when I go back to work full time, (with a long commute there and back), managing the house, juggling the baby, not to mention two big dogs!image

I will make sure I make the time though.  Someone once compared running as sticking to an appointment....that's how I think of it....people have time to watch TV/go to the pub, so if they really wanted they could get out and do some excercise!

It's not easy though...really isn't!

RP

• No RP, it's not easy is it, and I'm full of admiration for you making the time with a small baby to look after.  I find it hard enough and my two are babies no longer - I'm at the "Mum's taxi" stage so going for a run is a perfect excuse to save fuel and boost the bus company's profits!

Rob - no I don't have regular massages unfortunately ...  maybe when I win the lottery!  I had my first one a week before a half marathon and took 13 minutes off my PB, so I'm a firm believer in them money permitting.  The last couple have been over a year apart and have both come about as an attempt to ward off my recurring IT band problem.  They work in as much as the pain makes you forget about the original problem!  No seriously they're great for loosening up the muscles and I'm lucky in that the lady I go to is a fantastic runner herself so understands running issues and is always a good source of tips and recommendations.  She's given me loads of exercises to strengthen my glutes, so I'm spending a lot of time standing one leg these days...

• Hi Auntie Ninja.....LOL about the Taxi...I am sure my time will come before I known it! Unfortunately my house is a sh*t tip!  Is everyone elses?  housework is the last thing I have time for...oh well!

Interesting what you say about the glutes.  Not long after I started running I got a terrible bad hip, and in a nutshell, after seeing a sports physio, it was established that I have weak glutes!  I hadn't put much faith in excercises and stretches, but she gave me some to do, and I did them religiously, and it was completely gone in about 3 weeks, I was so pleased.  It must be something I am prone to though, as if I have had a while off from running (as I have) or I have done a bit too much, I can just feel it start to niggle...but then I do my excercises and I have (touch wood) managed to keep it at bay.

I am doing them religiously every day now, for fear of injury!  Is that what you have too?  Common in women she said....and I have too much flexibility in the hips (also common in women, to allow for childbirth she said!).

Wish I was a bloke sometimes, let me tell youimage!

RP

• Well I'm a bloke and I have crap hip flexibility and weak glutes (and I'm injured) so be careful what you wish for!

And I spend an inordinate amount of time ferrying kids around or lending them my car.

Also detest Kendal mint cake despite Kendal being the nearest town to home. Bleurgh!

Good work all. Carry on....
  • thinking of entering manchester marathon.anyone know how many runners have entered upto now?

• Ha Slokey Joe...sorry....didn't mean to be sexist lol!image

My partner is from Burneside, just right near Kendal...do you know it?  You might know him, it seems that kind of placeimage.  Its a lovely part of the world..other than the rain!

Hi Rick, I have no idea how many have entered, some websites have a counter to tell you so far how many entries there are, but I don't think this one does.

Nice and bright and sunny here for a change....my cross training today will mostly consist of housework and walking the pram!  My legs are a bit sore after spinning last night actually, so it will be nice to have a day off.  Back to it tomorrow though.

Hope everyone is ok

RP