Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hey RP, yes I know Burneside. Unlikely to know your fella though, I live in Grange about 16 miles away and have only been there for 15 years so viewed as an "off-comer" as the local parlance goes. I think you need to be third generation to be viewed as local image and yes the rain can be bothersome but is a great place to live.

Actually Manchester is my home town so see this event as my homecoming race. Probably why I enjoyed it do much last year.

Anyhow, managed my longest run of the year last night and foot is a bit sore again this morning. Still, I'm sure that that 3 miles in the bank will make all the difference come race day. Yay!!
  • Hey RP, yes I know Burneside. Unlikely to know your fella though, I live in Grange about 16 miles away and have only been there for 15 years so viewed as an "off-comer" as the local parlance goes. I think you need to be third generation to be viewed as local image and yes the rain can be bothersome but is a great place to live.

Actually Manchester is my home town so see this event as my homecoming race. Probably why I enjoyed it so much last year.

Anyhow, managed my longest run of the year last night and foot is a bit sore again this morning. Still, I'm sure that that 3 miles in the bank will make all the difference come race day. Yay!!
  • Don't worry about the housework RP!  I've got a mug which says "Housework won't kill you, but why take the chance?" and it's the mantra I live by!  I don't so much start the ironing as set up base camp at the bottom of the pile...Running is far more fun, and if you're fast enough no-one sees the creases!

Yes, I've got lots of glute strengthening exercises which I'm trying to remember to do every night, and so far it seems to be working.  I managed some hill reps last night with only slight discomfort, although I think that was more from the massage than the injury!  Hopefully 9 miles tonight if I can make both of my local Sweatshop runs - 5k steady and then 10k a bit more challenging.

With you on the Kendal Mint Cake Slokey Joe - ugh!  

• Mmmmm, Kendal Mint Cake, I love it!

It snowed here last night in Essex so I bottled my run and am going out later today for a six miler.

I love the idea of a sports massage. When is best to go for one, the same day as a long run or the day after or some other time? I've heard they're quite expensive so need to save up before treating myself. Birthday coming up later this month!

Starting to get quite excited about April and have seen a few pounds drop off in the last couple of weeks so am well chuffed!

• Ha ha Smokey Joe...is 3 miles your longest run of the year?  You must be joking?  I hope you aren't because I will feel so much better if it's true!!

ha...Auntie...ironing? What's that?! I buy clothes I don't need to iron, no shirts for me!  Ironing has to be my worst ever job.  Who cares!!

Birthday Cybarev?  It comes to something when your birthday pressie is a sports massage!

RP

x

• Hey slokey, I'm looking across the bay at ya. Have you done the cross bay half, did it last year, it was great
  • Morning all - I am going to plonk myself right in the middle of your nice chat and introduce myself... image

Running Manchester for the second time (did the hell hole of a race last year, why I am doing it again, God only knows).  It is my third marathon.  I am training for a sub 3:45 and all going well so far.   Following Advanced Marathoning plan 33-55 miles a week (P&D).  Had 2 weeks of illness but kept on as best as I could, 18 miles in the bag last weekend and have 20 planned for Friday.  Just back in from 11.5 easy hillyish miles (9:30m/m).  

Carry on... image

Oh yeah, I am a woman. 

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Birthday Cybarev?  It comes to something when your birthday pressie is a sports massage!

Mrs RR got me some new Brooks Beasts for my birthday in Jan and they came at just the right time when I finally extracted them from the sorting office

It does make me feel positive coming on here every couple of days and seeing how many people are having the same thoughts and conversations

Was told that you should run your long runs about a minute slower per mile than you hope to run the marathon. I've not been running consciously at a set pace but seem to be coming out just above the pace I'd like to run the race at although that's based on running smaller distances than the 26 miles

Anyone have any opinions on whether the Reigel or Cameron formulas truly give you an accurate prediction of your times for the full race?

• RP, I kid you not, longest run of the year! Have already changed my target for the race to be done more as a training run in prep for an ironman in July. I was originally hoping to go for a PB attempt but sh1t happens.

Hi Rob, I think I can see you. Yes the cross bay is a wonderful race. I love it. Did it last year too and came in 6th and won the fastest old fogey prize which is always nice image. Not sure if I can do it this year with other race commitments.

RR, those formulas are very ball park and assume you've done the appropriate level of preparation for each event and that you fit a norm. Marathons have a nasty habit of taking you into unknown territory and predictions can be wildly out. If its your first marathon then a sensible approach is to find a pace that gets you round in comfort. Get that one ticked off then on your next go base your pace on a recent HM time ( minutes per mile plus 30seconds is generally a good starting point). As for training paces, run your slow runs slow and your fast runs fast. Slow and low heart rate running develops your endurance more than you'd think.
  • ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    AgentGinger wrote (see)

agree with the longer weekend runs being a bit of a time sink. off to a 40th on saturday where i can't really drink because i've got to be up early ish on Sunday morning to do my 18mi run then get back, shower etc before doing lunch for family.

still, it's important to keep up things outside of running, as much as possible, otherwise risk getting running blindness.

I was in exactly this position last weekend.

Spent the evening obsessing over the fact I was on my feet not resting and putting my mates off trying to get me to drink more, ended up having 5 pints.

Went out with the intention Sunday morning of just doing as much as I could but thankfully managed my target distance of 17 miles.

• hi heow...yeay...another woman...we need more women on here...help keep those blokes in check!....You sound bloody fast to me....well done on your last marathon, those conditions were awful, so pleased I was only spectating.

RR...I am not sure how those things work, but I have found that McMillan calculator scarily accurate...check it out...you will have to do a 10k or 5k race to put it to the text then you can work from there.  However, as has been said, it doesn't always apply to marathons....I have known people that are loads (and I mean loads) faster than me over a 10k or half, but oddly, finished marathons slower than me.  I guess it depends on the day how things go, and some people aren't as suited to marathons as others.  Saying that, you are doing everything right, so I wouldnt worry.  Are you aimin for a time?!

Ha ha Slokey, thats cheered me up no end!!!  However, I am a bit scared now you are about to become (or already are?) an Ironman.  That means you must be mega fit anyway.  My brothers friend has done them and he was so fit he used to just turn up for marathons with nothing much more than 6 mile training runs (but he did loads of cycling, swimming, etc).  What time do you think you will get?  Have you a strategy?

I still haven't got round to my housework yet!!! Eek!

RP

• Time for the IM? Should be under 12 hours as a steady effort inc a 1:10 swim, 6.5hr bike, 3:45-4 hr marathon which is slower than my LSR pace) don't want to push it since it will be my first. Only done one tri before which was Buttermere last September and enjoyed it so thought I'd step it up to the big oneimage Bike is the weakest leg for me (got my first bike in july last year) so really depends how much progress I can make on 2 wheels! Of course it's just as likely to go horribly wrong!

Not too worried about the lack of running despite having been off for 4 months. Fitness is still improving and it doesn't take me long to get the legs sharpened up so plenty of time til July. Manchester on the other hand is too close to have a realistic eyeballs out effort so will be going for a plod round.
  • Sounds like you are doing really well.

My brothers mate buzzed off the Ironman (I think it was in Lanzarote)...it went really well, but he said he wouldn't do another as he was worried too many variables would go wrong...like a problem with the bike or something!  I would love to do one.

YOu are obviously super fit....what time will you get for Manchester do you think? 

A marathon will be a piece of cake compared to the IM anywayimage

• They are a piece of cake if you run them at or below the right pace. It's when you go too quick (which I have done on all but one occasion) that they become a sufferfest. Blacking out after crawling (literally) across the finish line in Berlin 2011 and waking up in the medical tent with a drip and wires stuck into me was probably my finest example. Ahhh, good times!

I'll either pick the 3:15 or 3:30 pacing groups in Manchester depending on how I'm feeling on the day and use as a faster and longer than normal training run. Strangely looking forward to it more now I've removed any PB pressure.

Lanzarote looks like a tough race. Know what he means about mechanical issues. To have a serious malfunction when you still have a long way to ride would be most irritating after a lot of time, effort and cash invested in your day out. If you want to do one RP just have a go at it. There are plenty of short course tri's to have a dabble at and if you enjoy the training and can find the time then you'll be able to do it. Come to the dark side bwahaha image
  • ....I might just do that...I really want to do one some day.

I am a rubbish swimmer....well, I can swim a long way (must be the stamina thing!), but I have no technique at all, so that is something I would have to master before I even think of anything else.

I would like to do an ultra one day too....I think I could do it, it's just the demands of training that I would struggle with...I am struggling for time as it is!

Maybe one day....

Yeah, how gutted would you be in an IM if you had a nightmare with your bike and you lost loads of time ....then  you missed the cut off time by like one minute....it must happen  though....I would never get over it!image

RP

• Swim coach sessions don't cost a lot and getting a trained eye to assess you and give you some drills to work on can have a huge impact on your times.

I'm using the "Be Ironfit" book by Don Fink for my schedule. Get a copy of you are seriously interested - it gives a good overview of the training strategy (lots of low HR aero work) and tips on swim technique etc and different levels of schedules

Would love to move up to Ultras too. That's the plan for 2014
  • All this talk about Ironman and triathlons is making me feel quite faint.  I'm not a good swimmer (I swim a mile three times a week, but strictly head above water style) but am currently trying very hard to learn front crawl.  I think I've managed about 30 metres so far before swallowing half the pool and thrashing about like a five year old (not my most elegant moment) - I like a challenge though, and just to spice life up I'm attempting this at the same time as marathon training!  Am I mad?

Went out and did 10.5 miles last night - it was supposed to be a gentle 5k followed by a faster 10k, but as per usual I found myself trying to keep up with faster runners and wore myself out too early.  Did my last mile very slowly, especially as most of it was uphill, and suffered all night.  Fine this morning though - maybe that massage has done some good after all!  It was £25 (can't remember who asked!) and lasted about 90 minutes - I'm sure most torture sessions are over long before that!  The lady who does mine is a (very good) runner herself, so is a valuable source of all sorts of info and tips - and trying to remember what she's telling me does help take my mind off the agony she's inflicting...

• I'm a million miles away from an ultra or a tri. I think one of the things that has drawn me to running is the simplicity of it. All i need is a decent pair of running shoes and out I go! Don't need gym membership, to book a court, to get a team together or anything els come to that. Having said that I have just got a Garmin for Christmas so maybe I'm becoming more of a running anorak than I thought!

The other thing thatI've njoyed about running is being part of forums like thiswhere we can chat and share ideas.

Have a good day everyone. Beautiful day for runnning here today......

• Yes, it's nice to know you're not the only one staring wistfully out of an office window planning the route for the next long run and where to leave the extra water bottles.....

Grey and damp here in Stockport, but still good for a run!  Roll on home time...

• Morning!

I concur, lovely morning here in Lymm, bright and actually quite mild.  No running today, but I will brave 15 miles tomorrow....forecast doesn't look great on the BBC website, but it is what it is.  Spring won't be far away!!!

Yes, these forums are great, I have made some great friends over the years on the other threads, and hopefully will this time.

LOL Cybarev about the simplicity of running etc....in the words of my ex husband "I thought running was meant to be a cheap sport...it would be cheaper if you had a coke habit!"....Mind you, I have got about 10 pairs of running shoes, a huge amount of tops and bottoms, and 3 coats, 2 caps, sunglasses, running belt, socks etc...I just can't resist it!  ....And then there are the music devices and Garmin!  Still, it's not as though I drink loads or smoke, so I can justify it that way.

Ninja, I had a sports massage when I had that bad hip I mentioned...Oh My God.  All I will say, is, I would rather give birth any day of the week.  The pain was out of this worldimage

RP

• 14 miles long gentle run for me today. Actually did a negative split which was bizzare and completley unintentional! It's a beautiful morning and the sun is shinging. Tried a new route though some local woods and round some back lanes which was great until I got overtaken by about 15 army guys all with their massive backpacks on! Lol....

As its my day off its out in the garden now to fit some new fence panels ....... deep joy!

• Well done on your run Cybarev

On a side issue, i just had an email from the organiser of Liverpool Marathon (as I did it a few years ago and am on their mailing list) to say itwas cancelled!!!

Is anyone doing it?  What a farce!

RP

• I just noticed the announcement in their RW forum - what a shame!  Liverpool was my first marathon in 2011 and I really enjoyed it.  I know there were problems on the day with ignorant motorists etc but thought that everything was hunkydory now.  Fingers crossed they can regroup for 2014, and maybe I can have another go!

Sounds like you had a good outing Cybarev - I'm assuming that the army ran past you and not over you!  We have some lovely local runs through the woods as well, but they're just too dark and muddy at this time of the year.  We did a gentle 4 miles pounding the pavements last night - not very scenic but just kept the legs turning over.  Rest night tonight for me - a glass of wine and feet up in front of the telly.  Anyone doing anything more interesting?

• I've just had the email from Liverpool Marathon HQ as well. I must say I feel really sorry for the organisers who have done a fntastic job over the last two years putting the race on and getting it up and running again. I was part of the forums over the last two years and I must say there was even talk back then about how difficult Liverpool City Council were being about the race. Apparently the Wirral Council were fine and bent over backwards but the Liverpool side of things was a different kettle of fish. The city will loose a lot of revenue as a result of all those visitors going somewhere else. Real shame.

• Chester will fill up early this year.

• ..Morning

Yes, that's what I thought Gaz...they will be rubbing their hands!  We spectated for Chester last year as a friend of ours was doing it.  It was a lovely spot where we stood, a lovely little village, and then we headed to the race course.  It was a lovely day with the weather too, and it looked a nice little marathon....if lacking a bit of the "big marathon" feel, that Liverpool had.

Totally agree about Liverpool.  I feel sorry for the organiser and it is very short sighted of the council...like you say, they will be missing out on a lot of revenue that weekend.  I did it the first year and loved it...it was actually a lot harder than I expected (those hills!), but the crowd support was second the none, and the finish was amazing.  I didn't like the bit where they sent you two laps round Sefton park (but I think they changed that the following year), and there was a huge delay at the start which was a pain, but I would definitely have done it again.  Shame.

What's everyone up to today?  It's a damp day here.....it's hard to tell if it's actually drizzling or just really damp air.  At any rate it is not windy, which is a bonus!  heading out about lunchtime to do my 15, and can't say I am looking forward to it.  Not run that far since before I got pregnant, just over a year ago, and I don't know what my legs will make of it.  I know I will REALLY struggle from 10 miles (probably before)...but then, it's never meant to be easy is it?!

Other than that, nothing of great note planned this weekend...making a curry for tea and will have a glass of wine, and probably be zonked out on the couch pretty early!  Tomorrow, hoping to do about 45 mins in the gym, then take the baby for a "swim" (she looks so cute in her tiny swim suit!)....then nothing much.

Good luck and happy running.

Panda

xxx

• I've run Chester the last 2 years, as you say, a great little race through some nice little villages. Very well organized as well.

I'll be glad to see the back of the wind, the last week or 2 I've found my long runs very tough pace-wise when hitting a headwind.

If the weather doesn't get any worse I'll be doing Southport 10K Sunday but my heart isn't really in it. I only entered because I missed out on Wrexham Half next week but then managed to get a place after somebidy pulled out.

• Hey everyone, how's your wkend runs going. My calves have me baffled got sore again without even running & now a pain on outside of right heal, hopeing it's not achilies prob, never had these symptoms before. Anyway skipped yesterday & will go swimming a couple of hours mon instead of long run
  • Oh no Rob!  Get booked in to a sports physio...it sounds almost biomechanical to me...Have you changed your shoes at all?  Have you had any other issues that might cause you to run differently?  If you book to see a physio they will probably assess your gait ....best to get is sorted now.

Just back from my long run...15 SLOW miles...took almost 2.45!  Still..having only had a baby in November I can't really complain.  The last few miles were tough..legs in shreds!  Its also really cold and damp, feels like its almost in my bones, if that makes sense?!  Glad its over.

Bath in a min, then thats me!

Panda

• Funny you say that RP I have just changed my trainers, these do have slightly more cushioning than my last pair maybe a couple of mils higher. I was actually wondering if it could be the reason.