Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Just to say, I have tried many gels and never suffered wind. However, I tried porridge before my last long run, and never again. Lets just say, it's a good job I run in the country with plenty of bushes! White toast or French stick with jam I am sticking with!

Panda
  • Could someone please change the thread title to Manchester Marathon 2013/flatulence?image

• Banana butties before every 20 miler for me.
  • That's a good idea Gaz...I normally have a couple of that really thick white toastie loaf, toasted, with butter and maybe jam (I never normally eat jam but needs must), and a banana...not too heavy, but plenty of carbs and energy.

I won't be trying the porridge thing again.....I know it is probably ideal fuel, but it wasn't pleasant!.......

The things we talk about!!!

Panda

• I'm just keeping out of this conversation!!!! image

• Pure manic with that half PB on a good day should easily bring u in under 3.10.

As forGel belts I have had a few but this one from zipvit has lasted 30-40 marathons and holds as many gels as you need plus my asthma pump, it doesn't bounce around either as you can spread things around your waist.

http://www.zipvitsport.co.uk/products/accessories/zipvit-sport-racebelt.html
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Thanks for al the advice on gel belts etc guys. Much appreciated.

Did a 16 miler today and felt great. Good to get last weeks disaster behind me and move on!

Have a great weekend everyone.

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Hi,  I entered the Manchester Marathon on New Year's Eve, my first marathon and I am getting soooo nervous.  Obsessively reading forums like this one and there's way too much information for me to cope with, ha ha!  Which gel, which belt to fit them in, what pace to go for, aaaahh!!!  Did 16 miles last Saturday (the longest I've ever run) and went fine.  Have not had any lonely weekend runs yet as I seem to have great running friends to keep me company (but no marathoners so no advice forthcoming!!). Feeling tired this week and my plan says 7 miles this weekend so maybe get some energy back, but now am stressing that 7 miles maybe isn't long enough!  Am excited but scared and am almost dreaming about crossing the finish line...

• Sallymax, you will be fine, don't stress over it! The more relaxed you will be the better you will do! As for pace double your half time and add 10% to get a rough possible finishing time and what to pace the race at.

As for gels if you have tried it, and you like it, use it! Stick to what you know you can take.

Get the long runs and training right and it will be easy come race day! Try not to waste to much energy being nervous!
  • Cheers Muzza. I like to err on the cautious side after a couple of bad marathons at Blackpool years ago when I hit the wall and came in over 3.5 hours - but the weather was warm - so fingers crossed for a cold still wet day on April 28 !

Two 7 milers today for me, a.m. and p.m. and the first, nice and hilly, 20 miler tommorrow morning followed by a few pints of real ale Saturday night...... if I'm still awake .........

• Sweet, 20 miles on tired legs is quality! image

Anything can happen in UK in April weather wise that's for sure! Got Duchy marathon on Sunday so hoping for 8-10c and no wind! image Barcelona in a couple wks and it will be nice to run in vest and shorts again.
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Bought this little lot the other day:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Race-Faster-Marathon-Running/dp/B003ZUAKU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362252954&sr=8-2

I like high5 gels and this pack was great value. Mine contained:

12 x high 5 + energy gels with caffeine

Zero xtreme 10tab tube

1xhigh 5energy source carb drink mix (fresh citrus)

2x high5 isogel +

1xhigh5 protein recovery summer fruit recovery mix

1xhigh5 energy bar coconut

For less than 8 quid I thought it was worth it for the gels alone!
  • Hi guys and girls, just entered the Manchester marathon. My first one, training is going all right, second long run done 29.5 miler after last weeks 28 miler. Training for an ultra so using the Manchester has a training run. Hopefully will do ok. Has any one ever used the pacing group, I'm doing the 3hr one. Always run on my own so pacing all over the show, is it easy to maintain an even pace with a group.
  • Hi Lee. Thats some mileage you're clocking.

Ran a good 20 miler today, first 13.1 in just under 1:30 and finishing in 2:22 easing up over the last few miles.

• Hello Lee , some excellent long runs there, I am going to be on the sub3 bus so look forward to seeing you there. What ultra are you doing ?

GazOC are you on the sub 3 bus as well ?
  • I don't think so Dave. I think 3:05 is a safer bet but I'd by lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind. I've got a 20 mile race at Stafford next Sunday and if I can get under 2:17 I might have a rethink.

My lack of miles at the 3:00 marathon pace is a worry for me but I've got a couple of months to sort that out.

• Gaza ,I can't do marathon pace for any distance in training, but i think i have enough base miles, current pace is 1:22 half , 37 10k . I did manage 3:02 @London about 7 years ago so need the sub 3 so i can get on with running.

Good luck with the 20 miler
  • Cheers Dave. I'm in a funny position because my HM and 10K PBs are slow 1:28 and 39:45 but both were done at the end of 70+ mile training weeks with no taper and I don't do any specific training for those distances, its all big mileage for the marathon so I should be able to convert my times pretty well at the longer distance but I think sub 3 might be a little too fast this time around.

• Hi GazOc doing the Clyde stride in Glasgow a 40 miler in July . I'm hoping I can do under 3 in Manchester my run today was 29.5 in 3hr29 avg 7.04 3.05 exact at 26.2. So with a few more runs fingers crossed
  • Still in a state of flux about the Marathon pace Gaz?  You could always run at 3.05 pace for 15 miles and then see how your body feels at that point.  That gives you 11 miles to claw back the 5 minutes which would not be impossible if you still feel fresh.

Well, that's my first 20 miler now added to my list of life's achievements.  Obviously far from the ultimate goal but still a nice thing to be able to say (or write).  I used my heart rate to guide my pace throughout and experienced very little drift.  I'm still probably not as slow as I should be with an average HR of 74% of max and an average pace of 8.45 per mile so will try and push down to 72% of max for the next one.

Didn't hit the wall.  Took on two gels without drama and not too much wind.  Knees a little stiff/sore through the last 3 miles but still felt like I had plenty of miles in the tank.  Encouraging run.

• Strangley Brown.

Well done. The 8.45 mile pace for your first 20 miler sounds perfect. Last September I did my first 20 miler training run for many years at exactly the same pace and then did 3.15 in the marathon 7 weeks later. Don't worry too much about exact pace or HR yet - just get the miles in at your comfortable pace for now I reckon - you can fine tune such things in the last 3 weeks maybe ?

I enjoyed my 20 yesterday at 8.02 pace - a bit quicker than I was expecting but it just felt right - I don't use HR monitor or GPS or anything. The route is too hilly to keep a constant HR anyway. Legs sore today though and good to have a complete rest.

• I think thats probably what I'll so SB. Start off at 7:00 mins mile and see how I feel around 14-15 miles. TBH I'd take sub 3:05 right now and be extemely happy with it.

• PM - Thanks for that, you're probably right.  I just want to be mindful of not tiring my legs too much on the long runs and jeopordising the other sessions during the week.  I still think nearer 9 m/m might serve me better in the long run but i'll see how my body reacts during the coming week.  3.15?  I'd take that now I think image

Gaz - That's got to be the best approach I reckon.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on.  A sub 3 hour marathon may well start to become my obsession now over the coming couple of yearsimage

• Lee they had a sub 3 pacer last year who went off far too quick, the lad I paced round was panicking because they was so far in front of us, they were about 2.50 pace.

I reassured my mate we would be fine, by about mile 10 the wheels had come off the sub 3 train.

His first marathon and I got him round in 2.55ish.

The key is to run them as even as possible, I always try to keep it know more than a 2 min drift.

18 miles for me yesterday was supposed to be an easy run, ended up at 7.05 pace.
  • cybarev wrote (see)
    Anyone heard how numbers are going for the GMM this year?

The closing date for entries now appears to be 31st March 2013, that's been put back a few times already so suggests they are struggling to get the numbers expected? (Plus who would enter a marathon at this late stage unless they'd already been training for a different one or are doing some serious mileage anyway)

Another 18 miler for me tomorrow, less concerned about the time and more about getting round in better shape and feeling less drained on the way round and not stiffening up as much

My High 5 goody pack turned up today so I'm going to try some of them out tomorrow and see whether they are better than a bag of jelly babies!

• rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
    cybarev wrote (see)
    Anyone heard how numbers are going for the GMM this year?

The closing date for entries now appears to be 31st March 2013, that's been put back a few times already so suggests they are struggling to get the numbers expected? (Plus who would enter a marathon at this late stage unless they'd already been training for a different one or are doing some serious mileage anyway)

Another 18 miler for me tomorrow, less concerned about the time and more about getting round in better shape and feeling less drained on the way round and not stiffening up as much

My High 5 goody pack turned up today so I'm going to try some of them out tomorrow and see whether they are better than a bag of jelly babies!

I've been very impressed so far.  Took a couple out on my last LSR, taste good and I did feel a little boost form them - quickly too, within a minute or so. 

• I'll see you in the 3hr pace group dave and lee.  I hope to stick to that pace but will happily ignore a poor pacer and use myself.  Out in Lisbon in December I was caught by the 3hr pace chap just outside the stadium at the finish (300m out).  My time was 2.58.00.  I think the 3hr pacer at London last year did something like 2.58 too. I can understand them wanting to add in a bit of a time buffer but 2 minutes is too much, particularly on a flatish course like the capital.  If you want to do your own race or go flat out, don't drag people around quick than they anticipate by signing up to pace them... Having said that, I'd love the opportunity to be a pacer at a race if anyone knows how I can...

Good to see that the windy-pops have subsided, strangely brown.

I only managed 13 miles over the weekend followsome pain carried over from last weekend.  Might have cleared up by tonight.  Bit concerned that I feel so sore a week after; it's not looking good for Manchester at that rate.   I need to improve a lot before my ultra.

• Did a run to work 5.5 miles at avg 7 mile pace, then got a text of a running pal asking if I wanted a long run after work. I had no gels or water but thought ok give it a go he runs slower than me anyway. We did a avg8:52 pace for 19.5 miles, felt painfully slow at times. Left him at 18m and pumped it up and ran a 6:49 mile. So happy with that. Am still undecided about running with a pacer has I run between 6:35 and 7:15 depending on conditions. Some of you guys are really fast my 10k time sucks, never been below 40 yet. Not done a race though so maybe could. What I do seem to have is endurance and can roughly run at a half and marathon in even splits. Ran on Saturday first 13.1 in 1:32 second in 133.
  • I'm travelling up from London on the Friday evening and plan to fit in a (very light) parkrun on the Saturday morning. There seem to be three parkruns within equal distance of where I'm staying - South Manchester, Heaton Park and Worsley Woods. Any locals on here who can recommend which one I should head to? Cheers.

• Hi Lee

I used to leave near Heaton Park and though I haven't done the park run, I know Heaton park is hilly, so I wouldn't do that one.  South Manchester, I am assuming is Wythenshawe park?  If so, I think that's a good flat one...I don't know about Worsley.

I must say though, imho I would not do any kind of race the day before a marathon?  Maybe you are a really fast runner or training for an ultra or something, but I just don't see the point of taking anything out of your legs the day before a marathon.  Even if you don't intend to race the park run, you will probably get carried away on the day and end up going faster than you intend, and you will feel it the next day.  I am sure you know what you are doing, but I personally wouldn't bother .....chill out and maybe take in the sites of Manchesterimageimage

Panda