Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Gaz - yes, the weather in Stafford was horrible, but at least the snow didn't stick and my feet thawed after the first few miles.  I saw a slow relay runner in vest and shorts and he looked bright red and FREEZING!

RR - I'm doing Wilmslow as well and have had similar concerns about it not being long enough to qualify for my LSR.  Some people have suggested running home after the race (do-able for where I live) but I then decided to run it as a race (ie faster than LSR pace) and use it as a speed session rather than mileage.  I went on a marathon training day a few months ago, and they were very keen to promote the idea of quality over quantity when it came to mileage.  OK you need the long runs to build endurance, but don't beat yourself up about missing the odd one if you get a chance to mix things up a bit.

Do you actually have to wear a pace group number on your back?  I must have missed that bit of info in my excitement at signing up for one.  I'm certainly not going to tell the world which one I'm following - apart from you lovely runners that is, who understand excatly what a rod I'm making for my own back!  I think I'll just slip, ninja-like, into the slipstream and out again as I feel like it!

• Options

Same here AN. If I'm racing during marathon training then I take the race as the weeks speed/ tempo session and try and get the long run in on the Wednesday or Thursday.

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

I'm doing a half this weekend and am treating it as my LSR and having the week as a step back week because the coming weeks are my maximum mileage weeks.

Sun is out ........ might even run in shorts tonight!!!!

• Options

Am not quite fit enough to run this year; though really looking forward to the fantastic Liverpool Half this weekend.

Just be aware that following the pace runners isn't always the right thing to do: Last year I did a 1:42/1:50 split; I got carried away, felt great and smashed my previous 4:00 PB.

but.... the 3:30 pace setters and gang of 50+ went past me in Partington obviously aiming for a 3:29:30 or similar, hit the final 8 miles running easterly into a brutal headwind, and I would suggest I overtook at least 30 of these in the last few miles. Loads of people missed their targets and werent happy that the pace runner had run it on a flat 8min pace all the way.

So If there is a slight headwind I really would consider banking a minute or 3 ahead of those final miles.

• Options

Carter - you've done more than enough long runs. Racing a half will do you the world of good. Best of luck!

RP - I'm a Yorkshire lass who lives half way down Italy on the Adriatic coast. Nothing to be jealous about...it's chucking it down here and it's cold! OK I live by the beach but the only decent months are June, July and August and I work full-time until 7pm Mon -Fri so it's actually quite depressing watching people lazing on the beach when you're stuck in an office!!

• Options
    cybarev wrote (see)

I'm doing a half this weekend and am treating it as my LSR and having the week as a step back week because the coming weeks are my maximum mileage weeks.

Sun is out ........ might even run in shorts tonight!!!!

Cheers for the input/advice everyone, I think I feel a little more comfortable with that

I think I'll stick with the plan for next week doing a 10 miler on Sunday night or Monday morning, the usual 7 miler on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and then a final few miles on Thursday morning just to keep ticking over before running the Wilmslow Half on the Sunday having the Friday and Saturday off for a change

Like Cybarev, I'll treat it as a step back week and then the following couple of weeks are the highest mileage before the taper so that sounds like a plan and I can get the final couple of LSR in the bag.

I went out in hat, gloves and extra layers yesterday afternoon, having put them away the week beofre and then got too hot, despite the inclement weather!

Always run in shorts

Spring is still on the way and at least it's getting lighter at each end of the day

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Admit it, I'm a lightweight!

Went out in running tights tonight but it was snowing so that could be  ahalf decent excuse! image

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Well was feeling good after my 18 miles on Sunday then I went to my running club last night, did 6.5 hilly miles and raced - oh how I suffered today.  Very stiff legs so no exercise today except walking to and from work.  Doing plenty of running but no cross training - really did intend to spin at least once a week but think I've got there about twice since Christmas.  Beating myself up but thought I may at least get out on my bike, even for 5 miles, on the days I'm not running.  Oh well, I'm no elite athlete I guess!!!

• Options

I'm a first time contributor, prompted by the fact that I  have signed up for the pacing group for 4.00 do NOT want to wear a sign advertising it! Am i going to embarrass myself? 18m in 2h 51 on Sun puts me on track i think (painful knees aside)? Does anyone know if you have to wear the  pacing number if you've signed up?

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Oh dear, seems I've opened up a can of worms.  They can't force you to wear the number can they - just follow them anyway without the number!!

• Options
    I ran Manchester last year, the pacers carry quite a large flag -like a sail, you are 'supposed' to wear the extra number on your back but i didnt see many people wearing them so just loiter with the group image you can see the flags from a distance so If your times then slip back or forward either do your own thing or join the next pace goup. HTH.
  • Options

Miche. I can't remember for sure but last year wasn't your pace group on your race number if you signed up for one?

Jmo, don't worry it sounds like you will get your 4 hours OK!image

• Options
    No your pace time wasnt on your regular number - your name was though so supporters could cheer you on which was great image

There was a desk at the expo where you signed up to the pace team and collected a 2nd number to fix to the back of your vest.
  • Options

....I really don't know why the organisers think this is a good idea?  I mean, who would want to declare it like that?!  I have never in my life known a race where you have to wear a special number to follow a pacer, I just don't get it?  Unless they want to keep a track of if it is working or not, hence, they will be able to check peoples chip times that were under the pacer to see if they did make it round?  Can't think of any other reason?

I would just suggest, as has been said, to basically keep your eye on the pacer but don't declare it...nobody will be any the wiser.  Also, don't follow them religiously though, if you feel you can go a bit faster, especially nearer the end, then go for it!

Molly...Sorry, am still jealous of you living in Italy.....all that nice food as well...I know where I would rather be.  You may say it's cold there, but it's absolutely baltic here.  White frost on the garden, and so cold your face hurts when you go outside!

Sally, I know what you mean.  I got into spinning big time when I was pregnant and kept it up until literally my due date!  Unfortunately I have not been able to get there much recently either, but am trying to squeeze an extra run in instead.  It doesn't help that whenever I can go the classes are always fully booked, and whenever they aren't I am left holding the baby so can't get their either!  I was hoping to go Sunday morning but as usual it's fully booked, though they sometimes get last minute cancellations so I might get one late notice.

I will do an "easy" 5 miles tonight I think....weather permittingimage

Panda

• Options

Redpanda- At the Great North Run you get a number for the back of your vest if you register to follow the pacers.

• Options

Bit nippy this morning but lovely halfway round to have full daylight and sunshine even if the hat,gloves and extra layer were back in action.

Certainly feeling the benefit of the long runs in terms of recovery time and general wellbeing for the other runs during the week. Not had the thigh stiffness I had earlier in the training although I did wake up with calf cramp in the night (not sure whether that was down to a disturbed night's sleep as eldest son paid a visit to our room)

I used to cross train twice a week on top of my 4 (admittedly shorter) runs but dropped the cross training around the time I started the serious mileage for the marathon as I felt I needed the extra recovery days

JMo wrote (see)

I'm a first time contributor, prompted by the fact that I  have signed up for the pacing group for 4.00 do NOT want to wear a sign advertising it! Am i going to embarrass myself? 18m in 2h 51 on Sun puts me on track i think (painful knees aside)? Does anyone know if you have to wear the  pacing number if you've signed up?

JMo, i think I put a time in for the pacing group on the enntry form and will probably follow the 4 hour pacing guy "in secret" and see how we get on. I did my last 18m in around 2:47 this week, so I think we're on a par, if you want to make each other feel mutually better in terms of achieving a 4hr race! You'll find alot of the comments on here make you feel much better about your chances and how your training is going

It's more thigh stiffness than knees that I'm struggling with when I get back from the LSR

• Options

Panda - talking about spinning up to your due date has made me feel all warm and cosy inside!  Twenty one years ago today was my due date, and I seem to remember marking it by attempting to jog home to get things going - unsuccessfully as it turned out.  However, on the plus side it means I get to go to a 21st birthday celebration next week which will make a nice change from yet another run...and another excuse to carb-load with abandon!

Still resting to see if my ITB/foot niggles will subside in time for the St Annes 10 miler on Sunday.  I'm quietly optimistic!

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Wish I lived in Italy too!!  Going out now for 5 miles and it's freezing!  Oh a question for all you experienced marathon runners - I'm presuming I should have my watch set on race day to "average time" rather than "lap time"???  Probably a rooky question but I am I guess...

Anyway, more excited today about my son singing live on tv today.  Shameless plug for votes but if you have time or the inclination watch BBC1 at 4.15 today, Comic Relief does Glee Club, and vote for Resonate from the Isle of Wight.  Sorry, I know it's not running related but any extra votes would be good...x

• Options

You should be all right doing your training there on the IoW. I ran up and down the cliffs there once years ago and I can still feel it. One run there must be worth ten of my jogs around south Manchester.

No idea about the watch thing, I've only got a basic stopwatch and I don't even use it for long training runs, only to chase 10K pbs. Maybe I should get a fancy one for the marathon this year...do other people find them invaluable? Any recommendations?

• Options

Blimey aunty...how late was your baby?!  LOL at the jogging to get it started,  I have heard of walking but not jogging!  Mine was just a day late....I thought she would have been much later actually...though my waters had broken 5 days earlier and I didn't even know!  Have a lovely time at the celebrations.

Sally..thanks for the plug, will watch out for it!  I don't know about "lap time" on watches, as I use my Garmin so it's not set up like that.  It has the time ticking in the middle and also the pace and distance.  I find it invaluable actually, especially for long runs and races to stop you setting off too fast (you are done for if that happens).

What a shock...the rain is back!

Panda

• Options

phew, thanks all - i will join the secret following group! Thanks for all the positive encouragement, just done a great 5m and knees are holding up ok so feeling good about the 4 hours image

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Yeah, I have a Garmin too but you can set it to show, as well as mileage and time ticking, at the bottom it's either Lap Pace, which I always have it set to, or Average Pace or Current Pace.  Average Pace would show me overall what pace I'm running.  Maybe I'm getting a bit technical.  I love my Garmin too and find it really helps me as I seem to have no concept of how fast I'm running til I look at my watch!!

Rockinrobyrobin - you have made me panic now doing 18 miles in 2.47!  It took me 3.15...

Nice 5 miles done this afternoon along the seafront - oh, and Resonate got through to the final tomorrow, so more voting to come...

• Options

Sally - hope Resonate does well tomorrow, you must be proud, awww

On my Garmin I have four basic sections: Distance, Time, Current Pace and Average Pace

• Options

Feel as if my training is just about at the peak now.  About 6 weeks left and I will do another 55 mile week this week but after that, it's a slow and steady tail off.  Between 48-52 mpw for the next few weeks and then the taper begins.  Still a good few hard sesions left but increasingly less big (11-14 miles) midweek morning runs.

Not wanting to tempt fate but the Plantar Fasciitis is under control and not causing me overdue amounts of discomfort and everything else seems in good working order.  I've put my body through a level of weekly exercise activity that it's probably never experienced before, even when playing football and rugby as a youngster.  Nice to be able to report it seems to be up to the job.

18.5 mile LSR tomorrow morning and then a few beers on Saturday night and a well earned day off on Sunday.  Hope it's all going well for everyone.

On and on.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

SallyMax - I tend to flick between two screens on my Garmin - actual pace most of the time and check average pace at various intervals to check I'm on target.

Cant remember who asked the question - Manchester last year was my first Marathon and I managed to scrape a sub 4hours (3.59) on the back of minimal training and a previous HM best of 1.53 from 18 months before....I just took it nice and steady from the start at around 9mm and thankfuilly managed to maintain it.

A word of warning re the Pacers - I noticed the 4.15 group was running at 9mm for the first 8-10 miles or so (confusing me somewhat and causing me to think my Garmin was on the blink) and the 4hr Pacer wasn't exactly consistant either - think he even stopped for a wee!

I'm aiming for sub 3.50 this year if anyone wants to form a covert Pacing Group??!!image

• Options
    Sallymax wrote (see)

Rockinrobyrobin - you have made me panic now doing 18 miles in 2.47!  It took me 3.15...

Sorry Sallmymax, tend to run a pace that feels good rather than watching my Polar running watch which is averaging out around 9 - 9.5 mins per mile. Not sure how that will change with the step up to 20 miles and the race plus I'm running much slower in training that I have for previous HM and I'm probably still going out a bit too fast. My result at Wilmslow could be interesting, especially as some of my fellow runners didn't take to finishing behind an overweight 41 year old!

Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Not wanting to tempt fate but the Plantar Fasciitis is under control and not causing me overdue amounts of discomfort and everything else seems in good working order. On and on.

Strangely, Plantar is awful, I had it a couple of years ago and have used Brooks Beast shoes ever since, might be overkill but I wouldn't want to go through that sort of pain again. Like you I'm probably the fittest I've ever been (although still carrying a bit too much weight) possibly even fitter than I was at school when I played alot of sport

Still awaiting Spring, couple of very wet runs this week and tempted to go out on the canal tomorrow for a bit of a wind down for the week

• Options

RP - don't worry, she was only a week late although it's been the story of her life ever since.  I've never known anyone so laid back and unaware of the time!  Aargh!

Well, I managed a short run last night to test the foot and the ITB, and both behaved themselves so the training is back on - sigh of relief!  it's been a slow few weeks, but I'm not letting it get me down - just thinking about the positive benefits of rest.  I've got the St Annes 10 mile race on Sunday, which will seem like a nice short one for once althought the weather forecast may make me wish it was a 10k instead!  Rain, rain, more rain.....and then the same again for Wilmslow.  I'll be growing gills soon.

RR - no-one likes being overtaken by someone older than them!  I sprint-finished past a young couple in a race last year and they were well put out - especially when they realised that the grey haired 50 year old leaving them for dust had done the 10k whereas they'd only done 5k!  I was grinning for weeks...

• Options

Auntie Ninja wrote (see)

RR - no-one likes being overtaken by someone older than them!  I sprint-finished past a young couple in a race last year and they were well put out - especially when they realised that the grey haired 50 year old leaving them for dust had done the 10k whereas they'd only done 5k!  I was grinning for weeks...

I think they were just a bit taken aback as I don't look built for speed but on the other hand I had put in the training rather than a few runs and turning up on the day. Advice they have taken to heart this time around

I'd love to do a race over in Lytham or Blackpool, might be one for next year as I have friends over near the Airport

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Can't help feeling a bit smug can you, being a 40 or even 50 something (me) and passing people in their 20's.  Shouldn't matter at all but ... However, I was so unfit in my 20's, somewhat overweight, too much drinking and junk food, ha ha, how times change!  Still enjoy the odd drink though but not too often at the moment...

• Options
    Sallymax wrote (see)

Can't help feeling a bit smug can you, being a 40 or even 50 something (me) and passing people in their 20's.  Shouldn't matter at all but ... However, I was so unfit in my 20's, somewhat overweight, too much drinking and junk food, ha ha, how times change!  Still enjoy the odd drink though but not too often at the moment. 

Too true!

I used to smoke as well up until 12 years ago, still like a drink but mainly restricted to weekends and we do eat very healthily

Have to climb down off the pedestal at weekends..