Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• RR - As panda says, it seems to be that just increasing your weekly mileage without too much speedwork can be enough to improve short race times.  Best of luck at Wilmslow, I nearly ran it myself.  My last warm up race is Salford 10k in just over a week.

Good idea to get used to re-fuelling, it's wau harder than people think!

Panda - Thanks, it was really hard.  There hasn't been all that much hard speedwork in this plan until now and there are a few more tough sessions to come before the taper.  Really feeling it ramp up now even though i've hit my peak weekly mileage already.

Saturday's run should be interesting. 19 miles with 14 at mara pace.  Gulp!

• You are doing so well SB.....it must be tough on your legs right now, but it will pay dividends on the day.  Just don't go getting injured!  This is one of the most likely times it will happen, so please be careful...and don't forget the warm up and cool downimage...oh, and the beers as a reward!!

panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Morning everyone

RR you might surprise yourself at Wilmslow...often just loads of extra miles helps you speed up.  I got a huge PB in a 10k just from marathon training and absolutely no speed sessions in training...I was shocked, but I read somewhere that you can become faster just by increased mileage....probably be faster still with speed training, but hey ho!  LOL....Don't know how you consider not having your ipod...I am afraid I would DIE without my music.

RP, there's a heated debate on another Wilmslow thread on this forum between the iPod and non iPod brigades. The pre-race material also states that the ipod or similar should not be used in the race. Some very snooty comments from those people who consider themselves above requiring music to help them on their way

I'm interested to try without but I think I'll need it for the marathon

• They can pi** off!

I know what you mean....Each to their own.  However, I need mine, and I make no apologies for that.  The roads will be closed, I will be perfectly aware of my surroundings and I won't be causing anyone any issues.  They could never enforce a "no ipod" rule on a big event like this, nor should they try, especially when the roads are closed.  I don't generally enter races where they are strictly banned, as the roads are unsafe, as I wouldn't want to flaunt the rules like that, and it's just not worth it.

Good look for Wilmslow,.....you might even be a convert.  I have tried it on a couple of short runs when I have been out of charge and I hated it.  No way could I do a marathon without one. 

I hope the weather is good for you.  I suppose wind and rain would be the worst, not so bad if its cool like today.

Panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

You are doing so well SB.....it must be tough on your legs right now, but it will pay dividends on the day.  Just don't go getting injured!  This is one of the most likely times it will happen, so please be careful...and don't forget the warm up and cool downimage...oh, and the beers as a reward!!

panda

The warm ups I don't do (Christopher MCDougle told me not to!) but the beer....now that I do do image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

So where is the meeting point for beers after the race ??? image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hi Northern Lass, how long did the stress fracture take to heal up? I had my foot xrayed last week after lots of pain on the top of my mid-foot - couldn't see a fracture but they said there may be a stress fracture which don't show up very well apparently. Told just to rest it....
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    SB, I'd echo what RP says re speedwork - much higher risk of hurting yourself so don't go all out on those efforts - just running faster in short bursts helps so no need to red line it or do it for too long (if at all).
  • Does Salford do pubs?  Hardly see any around near the quays, few bars here and there

• LOL....It does SB....but you might need a body guard if you are not a localimage!

Not being funny, but don't go into Salford drinking if you don't know where you are going or know people...it's notorious.  I would suggest Manchester.

(no offence to anyone out there!)

• God no, wouldn't be drinking round the mean streetsimage

I meant around the quays, not too many pubs around there but there are a few bars etc.

• The nearest pub to the finish is the Bishop's Blaize around the corner from the finish line, it is a Wetherspoons pub but I've only ever been in when it's been packed on a match day. You've also got the Trafford across the road which is a bit rough and ready and the Gorse Hill which you will pass on the final mile or so (which is my pre-match drinking hole)

You're probably best hopping on a tram and getting off at G-Mex plenty of pubs around that end of Deansgate, get off at St Peter's Square and there's a number of pubs off St Peter's Square and Oxford Road or Picadilly Gardens and heading for the pubs off Market Street.

I usually drink in the Northern Quarter (the area around Shude Hill and Victoria Station) but United are due to play away at Arsenal that afternoon so I'm hoping to get home in time for a quick ice bath, shower and then a few beers in front of the TV watching the match

Alot will depend on which (if any) members of the family come to watch and what the weather is like

• Redpanda wrote (see)

They can pi** off!

I know what you mean....Each to their own.  However, I need mine, and I make no apologies for that.  The roads will be closed, I will be perfectly aware of my surroundings and I won't be causing anyone any issues.  They could never enforce a "no ipod" rule on a big event like this, nor should they try, especially when the roads are closed.  I don't generally enter races where they are strictly banned, as the roads are unsafe, as I wouldn't want to flaunt the rules like that, and it's just not worth it.

Good look for Wilmslow,.....you might even be a convert.  I have tried it on a couple of short runs when I have been out of charge and I hated it.  No way could I do a marathon without one. 

I hope the weather is good for you.  I suppose wind and rain would be the worst, not so bad if its cool like today.

Panda

Think I'll take it with me and see how I feel on the day, mood does seem to affect my running and I've not been feeling my best for the last few runs

There are issues with the parking at Wilmslow given the damp winter we've had so will be getting down there earlier to ensure we're parked up and ready etc. hate having to kill time before a race though. Manchester will be different as its' almost on my doorstep

• Yeah, you can decide on the day I suppose.  You might find you don't need it at some points...I know in Paris, the atmosphere was such a buzz, I didn't turn it on until about mile 4 when it thinned out a bit, but I was bloody glad of it by mile 22 when I was gritting my teeth!

I know what you mean about killing time, especially if it's cold and wet.  How soon are you getting to the start line for Manchester?  Is it a 9am start?  I am so unorganised!

Another 5 miles first thing...glad it's done...it was cold and damp though, not very pleasant.  My freckles have come out after that 10 miles yesterday morning!  I am desperate for some warmth now.  Can't believe I am still running in long sleeved tops/jackets, gloves and long tights....it was shorts and t-shirt this time last year.

Oh well....at least we won't over heat!

Panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Yeah, you can decide on the day I suppose.  You might find you don't need it at some points...I know in Paris, the atmosphere was such a buzz, I didn't turn it on until about mile 4 when it thinned out a bit, but I was bloody glad of it by mile 22 when I was gritting my teeth!

I know what you mean about killing time, especially if it's cold and wet.  How soon are you getting to the start line for Manchester?  Is it a 9am start?  I am so unorganised!

Another 5 miles first thing...glad it's done...it was cold and damp though, not very pleasant.  My freckles have come out after that 10 miles yesterday morning!  I am desperate for some warmth now.  Can't believe I am still running in long sleeved tops/jackets, gloves and long tights....it was shorts and t-shirt this time last year.

Oh well....at least we won't over heat!

Panda

A reasonable 8 miles this morning and I'm going to do similar down the canal to make the most of the morning light tomorrow before having 2 days off before Wilmslow

Now toying with the train to Wilmslow as several people have said it's bad enough getting there by car when the car parks are operational. We shall see. Might see if Mrs RR can drop me off as eldest son is at a party in Didsbury on Sunday morning.

Manchester is a 9.00am start and given that you don't need to collect anything as such, I guess I'd be looking to get there between 8 and 8.30 to find my "starting pen" etc. I am one of those people who has to make allowance for the tram breaking down etc etc so end up getting there too early. I guess it also depends how many people are making their way up from Altrincham as the trams are only every 12 min or so on a Sunday and they can get packed (which is ironically why I drive to United home games!)

I have gone out without my hat on the last couple of runs but the gloves and extra long sleeved shirt have reappeared

• Thanks for the info....still debating the logistics of it all from Lymm....thinking of driving to a tram station then getting the tram to the start. 

What do you think if I drive to Alti or Sale, jump on the tram and do it that way?  Will I be able to drive to Alti or Sale ok or will they have shut the roads already?!

Funny enough...I am the type of anal person that stresses much more about getting there and the weather than the actual race itself!!!

I too have been running down the canal...as it's not been too muddy, and is nice and flat.  It's nice at times, although I sometimes find it a bit boring, same wit the Pennine trail.  At least I don't have cars to dodge I suppose! I very rarely wear hats for running unless it is FREEZING, as I have loads of hair too and I get far too hot!  I do have a thermal headband to keep my ears warm which I find a good compromise.

The weather is set to get even colder and more wintry on Friday, though I am not running so not too bothered.

Panda

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Funny enough...I am the type of anal person that stresses much more about getting there and the weather than the actual race itself!!!

lol, i so relate to that comment Panda! I'll probably end up there at about 7 o'clock, 'just incase'!

We'll be travelling from Bramhall so think we'll be going to Altrincham and getting a tram from there. Just have to find somewhere to park the car in Altrincham.

Easy five miles for me today, day off tomorow and then first 20 miler on Friday. Not looking forward to the even colder weather but cant wait to get that 20 miler under my belt.

Currently working on Mrs C. to come to Rome next year for the Marathon over there with the family!

• cybarev wrote (see)

lol, i so relate to that comment Panda! I'll probably end up there at about 7 o'clock, 'just incase'!

We'll be travelling from Bramhall so think we'll be going to Altrincham and getting a tram from there. Just have to find somewhere to park the car in Altrincham.

There's a large car park next to Altrincham station and the ice rink (Oakfield Road) which I think is free on a Sunday and just about falls outside of the marathon route. You should be able to get to the station from the Hale side as that's outside of the marathon route. If you come in from the Wythenshawe/Timperley side or indeed via Sale and the M60 you'd have to do a bit of jiggery-pokery as alot of the roads are part of the marathon route on that side

You can park for free at Navigation Road station but the car park is much smaller although it should be quieter on a Sunday. There's no parking at Timperley other than by the canal or side roads much further away and then I wouldn't even attempt to get near Sale or Brookland on the day as they're in the centre of the marathon

Good luck with the 20, I'm only attempting 1, so that's in 2 weeks after the HM this week and another 18 next week

• Cybarev - Rome 2014 isn't open yet but will be in a few weeks, it's €40 euros to enter until July 9th, then it starts going up after that

• I've paid for parking nearby as my Dad and my daughter are coming to watch (from Keighley). I'll be another one there at 7 just in case!!

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I've also paid for parking, and staying the night before in a Premier Inn - I think it's Trafford Centre, though I don't know Manchester at all.  Just reading about getting there and what time and starting pens etc gives me butterflies!!! My first 20 miler coming up on Sunday - never run that far before.  Also looking forward to getting it done. 

• Hi everyone, hope training is going well for this! Can't believe how quickly it's crept up!

I've booked in at the ramada Salford quays, really looking forward to this now!

In a moment of alcohol induced madness on sunday night, I ended up entering into Blackpool marathon (3 weeks before Manchester) with the intentions of treating it as my longest training run! Then tapering off. Hope I can be disciplined enough to run it sensibly....

I was kind of training and hoping for a sub 3hr finish in Manchester, and Sunday just gone, I finished the Stafford half marathon in 1:23:23. Has anyone ran sub 3 off a similar half marathon time? Or am I being slightly optimistic?
  • Sallymax wrote (see)

I've also paid for parking, and staying the night before in a Premier Inn - I think it's Trafford Centre, though I don't know Manchester at all.  Just reading about getting there and what time and starting pens etc gives me butterflies!!! My first 20 miler coming up on Sunday - never run that far before.  Also looking forward to getting it done. 

Hi Sallymax, my other half works for the company who own the Trafford Centre so I pay reluctant visits on a fairly regular basis (shopping centres are not my thing). There's lots to do at the Trafford Centre, including cinemas, pelenty of places to eat, bowling, ChillFactore might be a bit risky the day before a marathon though!

The Premier Inn is right next to the Trafford Centre and M60 so you're nice and close regardless of which way you drive to the actual race, be it on the M60 to Stretford and then along Chester Road to the stadium or through Trafford Park (which is the way I go to matches)

Good luck with the 20 miler, I'm a little apprehensive about my next 18 miler next week as the highest I've been this week will be the 13 miles of the HM on Sunday, almost a week off although my total mileage for this week isn't much lower than a "training week"

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    It all depends on your endurance and pacing on the day Jedwards (not to mention the weather and how you feel when you wake up). Some people (not many) can go sub 3 on a 1:28 half PB - some need to have the speed of a sub 1:20 half to get them round so you might scrape it if you are sensible on the day and don't go off at 2:55 pace. Have you thought about your pacing strategy?

I suspect that a 26.2 three weeks before will damage rather than enhance your chances of sub3 (from experience!). Takes a while to fully recover from that and you should really be thinking about how you can be as sharp and fresh on the start line at Manchester if you are serious about getting your absolute best time.
  • Morning!

Ah, thanks RR...I know that car park well, as I am a member of Alti Leisure centre, so I park there! Doh, can't believe I didn't think of that myself.  Yes, it is free on Sundays, that's brilliant, thank you.

I am not looking forward to this wintry weather on it's way.  I am starting to think Spring will never happen and we will roll right into Summer...wouldn't be so bad if it was a nice Summer for once!

Hi Jedwards, I am not as fast as you....interesting question though.  I have actually done 2 marathons 3 weeks apart (Liverpool and Newcastle!) both very different types of marathons!  I actually found the second marathon a LOT easier than the first.  I struggled with what to do mileage wise in between the two, but was advised to do nothing longer than 10 miles, and the rest just 5 or 6 or something.  I don't know whether it was the 3 week "rest" or the prep for the first paying off for the second, but it was a harder marathon but 1)I found it easier, and 2) I got a better time.   I recover quickly though, so everyones different.  You would need to resist the urge to run the first one flat out I suppose.

No running for me today, a long walk planned for later.

Happy running folks..not long now!

Panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Morning!

Ah, thanks RR...I know that car park well, as I am a member of Alti Leisure centre, so I park there! Doh, can't believe I didn't think of that myself.  Yes, it is free on Sundays, that's brilliant, thank you.

No worries, Oakfield Road isn't closed for the marathon but some of the other connections are (Stamford New Road, Woodlands Parkway), you should be able to sneak round the back of Tescos and head from that direction

A cracking 8 miles for me this morning, quite frosty but the sun was out and I got to run part of the route along the towpath from the Kings Ransom in Sale up to Timperley Station. Not a bad time either so now well up for Wilmslow on Sunday and a couple of rest and carb laoding days beforehand

The forecast for Sunday is for it to creep above freezing at around the time of the race!

• Thanks again RR....Yeah, I can cut down behind Tesco and park up, or otherwise can go the long way round through Hale village or something.  Which stop do I need to get off at for the start?  (Sorry to treat you like a public transport information service!!)....Is it defo free for runners on trams?

Well done on your 8 miles....sounds like you enjoyed it too...now...put your feet up till Sundayimage

Panda

• Carb loading for a Half RR? Thats just called "eating".image

• Who cares......he deserves itimageimageimageimage!