Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Cybarev - I just 'popped out' for 8 miles - a year ago that would have been a long long run for me - in fact last Easter I ran my first race, 7 miles, and that was the longest I'd every run.  Feeling generally tired but all going well I think.  Alternating between excited and bloody nervous! 

There are a good few 'machines' posting on here I reckon, 2 runs in one day, back to back long runs, hey ho, it's all good and everyone is so supportive...

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Sallymax, sounds like you've come a long way in a year. Well done. Keep it up, we're nearly there now. Someone once said getting to the start line of a marathon is as hard as the run itself. I agree with that. Once we get to Manchester in April most of the hard work will be done!

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

I know the route has changed slightly this year, does anyone have a feel for how congested the first 3-4 miles will be? it looks like there are a couple of "out and backs". from the start you head NE for about a mile, then back past the start, then you head NW for about a mile, then back past the start. So you end up passing nearby the start around mile 4, before the long run south towards Altrincham.

I'm guessing a bunch of people will be trying to run 4hour pace, or keeping up with the sub4hour pacers, so this could probably be quite congested at the start, until the field thins out.

Anyone got plans to deal with this?

I know what you mean Agent G but I guess it depends on what extent the roads are closed in terms of congestion as the first 4 miles are all on quite wide roads. It does look like they've added in whatever they could to make the distance up given the start and end points but again I guess this goes down to difficulty over road closures and the fact that if they'd started any further north or tried to use any of the roads further north they'd have been heading out of Trafford and into Manchester Council territory instead

It'll be fine, the bit I'm not looking forward to is the 2 lengths of Brooklands Road as the sections either side of this should be the most populated in terms of support in Sale and Altrincham but Brooklands Road is long and straight and always feels endless when I'm running it in training

A good 18.5 miles yesterday in mixed weather, tried my best to run it slowly but still came home faster than I wanted to. Didn't feel like collapsing over the threshold but on the other hand I'm not sure how much was left in the tank, although "metronome" helped whenever I felt the need to slow it down or that I was struggling at all

What has pleased me is that I don't "feel it" today which I take as a sign that the training is helping and that despite not being "up" for a LSR yesterday it's another one chalked off and one that I enjoyed on the whole.

A couple of 8 milers in the next couple of days mixed in with a couple of rest days and then ready for the final 20 mile LSR next week

Everyone is doing really well and to think we'll be in April in a couple of days and heading toward the big day

Are the pre-booked parking spaces for a specific space or just for a set car park?

I was going to go up on the tram but Mrs RR wants to come down for the finish along with the kids (not sure whether she'll watch any of the other stages) which would mean me taking the car down for the start and leaving it in the car park and then she can come up on the tram and we can all go home in the car. The size of United's car parks would mean a bit of a treasure hunt though if she wasn't sure where I'd left it!

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Rockinrobin - I've booked car parking and just checked my confirmation, it's in carpark N1, then gives a seat number, so I'm guessing that's for a specific spot.

Can't believe it's only 4 weeks on Sunday.  I've next week off work and felt butterflys when I looked at the calender before I left work today thinking, when I get back to work there'll only be less than 3 weeks to go!!!

I've got 13 miles to do this weekend, then 20 the weekend before, then taper I guess!!  Oh, it's getting a bit real now...

• Hi me again.

After some more advice please.

I did my first 20 miler last week which went ok - phew!

I did 13 today which suited me fine as I've been conscious of a niggle in my calf since the 20 and I didn't want to push it.

My plan would have me doing another 20 next week. However, I realised that the Taunton Half is next weekend so I obviously can't do the 20 miler next week.

The week beginning 8/4 I was going to start the taper so it doesn't look like I'm going to get to do another 20. So I guess my question is it ok just to do the one 20 miler?

Although I've been running for years I'm a complete marathon novice so it would be good to hear what you think!
  • Hi Nothern Lass

Are you after a particular time or just to get round?  I can't remember if you have said before?  My opinion would be, if you have been running for years, as you say and you are happy to get round (probably in a still respectable time) then you will be fine.  I know people who have done marathons on a longest run of 13 miles!  Many don't go up to 20 miles even once, so I don't think you need to worry.

If you are after a really good time and all that palava, you are probably better doing about 4 or 5 20 milers.

I missed one long run weekend completely, as I just couldn't be bothered lol....but I plan to do another this weekend...I think I will have done 3 x20 and 1 x 22, but I don't do huge amounts of other distances or cross training at the minute.  

You will be ok.

RR...would your family not be best doing what I am doing...i.e, leave the car in the car park at the leisure centre car park, get the tram in with you, then arrive back at the finish when you are done?  Am hoping my partner will get the tram to Sale/Alti after he has seen me off at the start, then jump on the tram to the finish to see me there.  We will then get the tram back to Alti and drive home to Lymm.  A bit of messing about I guess, but it's not huge distances.

Panda

• Hi Redpanda,

I'm just happy to get round to be honest. I'm secretly hoping for anything between 4.30 to 5hrs. I've run plenty of HMs in the past but this is my first marathon so I have no idea what I've let myself in for!

Funny you say about some people getting round on a long run of 13 miles as a friend of mine did exactly that and still did in just under 5 hours!

Thanks for the advice. I was starting to fret!
  • Ah, no problem!

I think everyone thinks "I should have trained more"...but the fact is, it's more important to arrive on that start line fit and healthy and injury free!  I personally wouldn't feel very happy about attempting a marathon on 13 miles as my longest run, but what the heck!

The crowds, taper and carbo loading the day before will get you round no problem.

What is your best half marathon time?  Funny enough I have done lots of marathons but only 2 halfs...!

Panda

• RP - To be honest I don't think my other half is that bothered about watching large sections of the race or indeed the start as she'll have my 4 your old daughter to entertain. My son plays rugby at Sale and we'll be running past the ground so no doubt they'll have a watch from there during training.

She'll then head up to the finish with both of them in tow

My issue is going to be where to dump any stuff I have,such as extra pre-race layers rather than having to use the baggage area. I was going to jump on the tram at Navi Road as I'm only a couple of minutes away on foot.

I may suggest someone coming to the start to take away the spare stuff as it looks like there's some sort of "warm up" and then walk to the start from the race village according to the website

NL - Don't fret, I haven't gone above 18.5 yet in training and will only do 1 20 mile run, with a weekly mileage that has ranged from 30 to 42 over the course of the 3 months. I've basically chosen a plan and stuck to it and as people have said, most of these plans are by people who know what they are talking about and have been proven. We'll all be able to look back after the race and see how we could have done things differently and for some, how to go about it next time (I'm still saying this is my one and only marathon!)

I'm looking for my next half to run but will probably leave it until the autumn and have the summer to just keep ticking over

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I'm also saying this is my only marathon - it's taking over my life!!! Went out for 5 miles this afternoon and thought I'm actually sick of running right now!!

Quite looking forward to it all being over and going for a nice run out with friends at the weekend, enterning an odd local race over the summer and getting my life back.  Will be desperate for a good night out in May for sure.

But still looking forward to this marathon though - exciting!

• ha...you Say that Sally...but just you wait, you won't know what to do with yourself...how will you fill your time lol?!  It's a bit of an empty feeling after the euphoria of a marathon I always think, similar feeling to when you get back from a great holiday...feel a bit deflated..until you start planning the next!  I am not sick of running yet, as I had quite a while not running last year with the pregnancy, but I am sick of running in freezing cold temperatures and strong winds.

RR...Is it just layers you are worried about?  What I might do and have done before is just dump my layers at the start.  Not decent stuff, but I sometimes go to Primark or a charity shop and get a really cheap fleece and tracky bottoms, even a hat or something, only costs a couple of quid, then you can just get rid of it when the gun goes off!  I know at the GNR there is a truck goes round afterwards and collects all the clothes then gives them to charity, as everyone does it.  Not sure if the same applies here, but it might well do.  Oh, and bing bags or foil blankets are handy things too!  Everything else you can surely carry on/with you?

Panda

• Thanks everyone for the advice.

RP - My best HM time is 2.01 I've done a few of them over the years now including the Taunton one I'm doing next week but I've never been able to crack that under 2 hours time - I'm always just over! I'm hoping with all this marathon training under my belt I'll be able to get under that next week!
  • Ah, how annoying....so near as well!  Like you say, you will hopefully crack it this time. 

I never know how to pace myself for halfs, it's just not a distance I like doing for some reason, and on the two I have done I got 2.03 and 2.10.....The second one was horrible...I set off too quick and had to start walking half way round.....the only time I have ever walked in any race...reckon it put me off halfs for life!  Good luck with it though, fingers crossed you will do it this time image

Panda

• SM - The LSR has certainly become a chore although the sense of achievement afterwards is still worth the effort. A friend was trying to get me to enter the Chester HM but it's only a couple of weeks after the marathon and I'm looking to have a couple of months break

NL - I always go out too fast and I reckon I went from 8 min miles to 9 min miles over the course of the Wilmslow HM last week. I tried to do it by keeping my heart rate at a certain level which worked to an extent but following Wednesday's LSR I'm wondering whether I'm better setting a pace to follow for the whole race, so that might be something for you to try. 9 minute miles would get you in under the magic 2 hours.

Spring is on the way, a lovely 8 miles in the sun (albeit nippy) this morning and another venture up to Sale and then back along the canal towpath. My only gripe was the number of "fellow runners" who blanked me or failed to acknowledge a good morning

Going to do a similar run tomorrow and then have a couple of days off before ramping it back up next week

Have just realised that in the past 7 days I'll have run 56 miles plus as I was passing Brooklands station this morning was reminded that, that point used to be the halfway point of a 2 or 3 mile run when I first started out a couple of years ago.

It's nice to reflect on the "journey" sometimes

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    I'd just like it to be known I ran my lsr today without a hat and gloves! Yipeee
  • Steady on, it was still cold! A day of nice food in great budworth for me today, in prep for my 20 miler tomorrow. A nice way to carbo load!
  • NL, I'm in a similar situation to you. Did a 20 miler 2 weeks ago, no

LSR last week due to 6inches of snow and then a 22 miler this weekend. I won't be going long next week as we'll be in hol in Spain and I'm just not prepared to give up 3hrs of family holiday time.

Planning on 15 miles the week after (2 wks before event) and then 10 miles the week before

Everyone up think this should be ok? I've done 1 marathon before but that was on an injury and not having run a step for 3 weeks prior so still feel a bit of a novice in this last month!
  • Cybarev - where are you?  I was still in hat and gloves today, early doors.

Julie - I don't know enough to say if it's ok or not, i'll leave that to more experienced marathoners.   What are your aims for the race though, are you just looking to get around or are you shooting for a PB?

As for me, did one of my P+D instructed warm up races yesterday in the Salford 10k.  Smashed my PB in 38.52 and can really see this training starting to take affect, even at the lower distances.  Given me a much needed confidence boost after a few very average training sessions recently.

On and on people.

• Juiie Bowles. Based on what you say I reckon will be ok - certainly to just get you round and possibly even to get you round comfortably and I 'm guessing with a decent time - althoug I don't know your paces or racing history.

SB - That's a good time for a 10K and IF you have the stamina and have done plenty of long distance runs then you should be on for a good marathon - maybe around 3.15 ?. The only thing I would guard against in your case, having seen some of your posts, is starting out too fast and hitting the wall and being disappointed in your result. I don't want to be a doom merchant but please be cautious - I speak from (bad) experience ! Post 22 miles is another world and you will learn from it and can really go for a time in your next marathon.

An 18 miler for me today in 2 hours 25 minutes. Most of the snow drifts have been cleared now and it was quite scenic and inspiring running down country lanes with 6 feet walls of snow in bright sunshine ! 22 miles next week then taper madeness time ....  

• Ah, how annoying....so near as well!  Like you say, you will hopefully crack it this time. 

I never know how to pace myself for halfs, it's just not a distance I like doing for some reason, and on the two I have done I got 2.03 and 2.10.....The second one was horrible...I set off too quick and had to start walking half way round.....the only time I have ever walked in any race...reckon it put me off halfs for life!  Good luck with it though, fingers crossed you will do it this time image

Panda

• Not sure why my post came up again?  Gremlins!

Julie, that sounds ok to me.  I think we all get nervous when we miss a long run, but at the end of the day these plans have to be modified sometimes.  It is a lucky person who can stick to a plan perfectly and not get thwarted by weather, injury, family....the list goes on!

Pure Manic, that's a good time for 18 miles, glad the snow has all but gone as well.

20 for me today....Funny, the 3 20's I have done have been within one minute of each other for finishing time..how's that for pacing?!  What does everyone else find?  I suppose most people find the last one is quicker than the first...not me though, lol!  I don't mind really, it felt a lot more comfortable than the last time I did it, and I think if I had had more fluid and gels I could have kept going.  I am planning a 22 miler next week as my longest one, so I will be put to the test then!

The weather was actually really pleasant.....not freezing cold, but bright and sunny and not much wind.  Not quite Spring like yet though.

hope people that run tomorrow also have good weather.

Panda

• Trainings going ok so far *touch wood* did 19mile tues, (ment to be on the sunday but weather was too bad) ,,, doing 20 tomorrow....and the Blackpool marathon next Sunday as a tester for Manchester.

Can't believe it's only 4 weeks away...my life will feel empty once it's done LOL
  • That's some going Jedwards!  I know...you do feel empty afterwards, but I am sure you can find an Autumn marathon to keep you out of mischief lol!image

• last one I trained for...(snowdonia 2012) I remember saying a few times, that I was looking forward to a break from training after the race, then before I knew it I had entered Manchester!! Haha. It's addictive. I am thinking of backing off a bit after this though & enjoying some 10k's, 10 milers and halfs. Training through this winter has been brutal. I think we all deserve a medal for making it to the start line
  • Totally agree. I much prefer Autumn marathons. Weather has got me down big time, and it's ironic that as the clocks change and we head to brighted days we will all be on taper! I have never known my long runs to still be done in long layers and gloves at this time.of year!
  • I know!! Im heading out early tomorrow and all my gears ready- leggings, long sleeves, gloves, hat...crazy!!

If...IF! I enter an autumn one I think it'll be Chester as I haven't done that yet.
  • That would be a good one. I spectated at it last year and it looked a very pretty course from what I saw. What do you mean "if" lol!
  • 'when' haha. All these races don't come bloody cheap either!
  • When I think what manchesters cost.... Entry fee, couple pairs trainers, hotel, fuel, day off work... But is it worth it? Course it effin is!!