Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    PM, I'm surprised that you are willing to soil you vehicle by parking it in that cesspit. A thorough deep clean will be required!

Thanks for your concern Slokey I will give it a good wash and vacuum as soon as I recover from the race. Good to see the rags outclassed again last night ! image

• Options
    Wow all this talk of ultras - amazing!

Jedwards - thanks and well done on your PB. My HM PB (albeit on a flatter course) is 2.01 so I seem to be getting worse rather than better. I think I just thought I would storm it after all this training. I guess I was just probably having an 'off ' day. Your PB gives me hope! image) Not past it yet.

Can't believe how near the marathon is now.....
  • Options
    northern lass wrote (see)
    Well I ran the Taunton Half yesterday as a ''training run'' hoping to get my sub 2 hours at last with all this marathon training under my belt and came in a measly 22 seconds faster that the last time I ran it in 2009 at 2.05.26 image

Gutted - not meant to be and I'm too past it now I think to ever beat it. Aching legs today and it was only 13 miles - what's that all about? Not happy!

Northern Lass, I felt the same after Wilmslow, came in 8 seconds slower than my PB when I thought all the marathon training would have improved things (I'm 41). I think it's down to training for a longer race, you adjust your pace and the way you run. I found the middle section of the race hard but that toward the end I was going past lots of people as the endurance built up during the marathon kicked in

I think my next goal will be to train specifically for a couple of HM in the autumn and see if times improve

Nice leisurely 15 miler for me this morning, couldn't sleep ( a combination of getting in late and frustration at the fact United have "been on the beach" since they lost to Madrid) so ended up going out earlier than planned but still light enough for the last few miles along the canal

The irony of the parking being that given United own the car parks (as opposed to borrowing them off the people of Manchester) all the money goes toward Malcolm Glazers next summer holiday and not unfortunately on 2 decent midfielders, still he might pay off some more of the debt with the proceeds

• Options

There is always a bit of an x factor when it comes to PBs. 

You can have a brilliant training camp, but part of it is always going to turn on how your body is on the day. 

• Options
    Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

There is always a bit of an x factor when it comes to PBs. 

You can have a brilliant training camp, but part of it is always going to turn on how your body is on the day. 

Very true plus weather, diet, sleep, general mood etc, the last thing I need after 26 miles is Louis Walsh handing me a medal and saying "I just don't get it" though

• Options

Weather can be a big factor. 

Ideal weather conditions (dry, not too hot, not too cold) more often than not result in an above par performance. 

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Still no number for me!!!

Recieved this link re road closures from the Marathon FB site today:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/trafford-borough-council---various-2547120

Hope it helps.

Still havent decided what to do re parking! can see its going ot be a late decision!

• Options

RR - that Louis comment made me chuckle!

My jammy brother still hasn't done any long runs for Manchester but I know he'll still beat me. He's one of those that does everything you shouldn't, such as new shoes on marathon day. Of course I love him but it's so annoying when I follow all plans so religiously image

• Options

Far too much talk of 20 and 22 milers here for my liking - best I have managed so far for this marathon is one 18 miler and hoping for another this weekend. Not bad though - last year all I did was 4 16 milers and still managed a 4:25 finish.

Still no number yet either

• Options

Bionic-hip - are you Marathon Molly's brother by any chance?  Just turning up and running a time I can only dream of, despite all my LSRs?  Maybe your secret lies in that bionic hip?  Or maybe you're just younger and fitter than me!

• Options

Auntie Ninja - little bruv hasn't even done 16 miles!

No number yet either. Do you get a T-shirt after you finish? What was last year's medal like?

• Options
    bionic-hip? wrote (see)

Far too much talk of 20 and 22 milers here for my liking - best I have managed so far for this marathon is one 18 miler and hoping for another this weekend. Not bad though - last year all I did was 4 16 milers and still managed a 4:25 finish.

Still no number yet either

Yep still no number for me either, I think you base your outlook on what you're goal is. This is my first marathon so get round initially, try and pace it (which I did for the first time this morning and ran a slow 15 miles but at a steady pace where I felt great when I finished to the point that Mrs RR thought I'd been sat in the shed with the paper) and if I do get a good time at Manchester even better

Perhaps not reduced my mileage by as much perhaps I should over the next couple of weeks but then my LSR come at the start of the week rather than the weekend like most people so I'll have a few days grace in terms of the gap between the last LSR and the race day. I guess it's subjective anyway

My shoes are on the way out but I need to make the decision as to whether to start wearing the new pair I have and get them worn in or persevere with this pair given that they've come so far with me

• Options
    robin - yep you're right. I did feel much stronger towards the end instead of my usual flopping over the finish line. I invested in a new pair of runners a couple of weeks back but after one run in them I've decided I'm going to stick with my old faithfuls.

More to do with superstition with me though. The last time I trained for a marathon and swapped trainers 4 weeks before I was diagnosed with a stress fracture not long after! So I figured if I stick with my old ones I won't tempt fate!

I think that's a good plan to train for a HM in mind after the marathon. I've got my eye on the Great West in October - run it twice before and if I'm gonna aim for a PB if it kills me!
  • Options

Last year you got a t-shirt saying 'finisher' before the race! Can't remember what the medal looked like - it disappeared into the kids' room soon after, never to be seen again.

Andrew W, I'm going for the same time as you - 3.45. It must be possible because I got 3.52 last year and if anything I've trained more this year. But I've tried a couple of 10 milers at that 8:35 pace and it's felt quite tough! Certainly hard to imagine keeping up for 26 miles. 

I also have a brother who has just signed up and has done next to no training. He's coming up from London to do it. I texted him a few days ago to to ask how it was going and he said he hadn't been able to do any long runs because of a cold. Now he says he has actually been out for a run and he's well up for the marathon. Thing is we've been running together once, last July, and he was much better than me...

I haven't enjoyed all this cold weather but it's been good for running. Now things are turning slightly and this Sunday is forecast to be 15 degrees. Another two weeks on and it could conceivably be getting a little warmer than ideal...surely not! There's still plenty of time for it to go any way at all on that front.

• Options

Sam -it's a lose-lose situation. if I beat him (doubt it) that's because I've trained and he hasn't or he'll no doubt beat me. Must remember to be jammy in my next life image

I suppose it's too early to get a forecast for marathon day isn't it?image

• Options

Hi everyone...wow this thread has picked up...anyone would think the marathon was getting closer, lol!

LOL at these people that just "turn up " for marathons.  My partner is alas, one of those....he wouldn't be up to a one at the minute, but he never trains much and has been known to just "jog round" with me....makes you sick!  Still, everyone is different and I have long since given up comparing myself to other people, especially a stick thin bloke!image

I wouldn't recommend anyone changing shoes now....it will do your head in and you will be paranoid on race day that your shoes won't be right...as if there is not enough to panic about!

I know what you mean about the weather Sam...It was "warm" on Saturday, well, about 10 degrees and I really struggled, I think it was a shock to the system after being freezing.  I must say, I don't so much mind the cold as the wind, and it just seems to have been cold and windy forever here.  Not sure where you live but it's only due to be 9 degrees in the North West this weekend!

NL, don't worry too much about your half time, it's probably as you are at high mileage now and are bound to be tired from marathon training. I know for some people it can have a positive effect on times, but not for all.  I did a much quicker half time when I trained specifically for it than when it was sandwiched in the marathon training plan, which is understandable really.  Anyway, you might have just had a bad day like me...it happens.  Onwards and upwards.

No number for me yet either...

10 miles this morning, which was tough after 8 yesterday, feel totally shattered now, but we are nearly there.  Lots of fresh food and healthy food now....I won't tell you what I ate at the weekend!

panda

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Looking at the parking situation it suggests you have to get there before 06:30 to avoid the road closures; surely that can't be right??????
  • Options
    630?! Blimey!! There's no way I want to be there that early!! I hate hanging around for even an hour before a race because I get really nervous waiting!

Sorry if this has been done before but just wondering about headphones - it says on the site they won't be allowed but I'm not sure i can run without my music?! What is everyone else doing?!
  • Options
    No way! I planned on leaving home at 6.30, which is way early enough, no one in their right mind would prevent runners getting to the carpark after this time - it would be chaos!
  • Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

The organisers say that you can get in and out of the car parks all day apparently.

• Options

Bionic - tell the whole story of your past then they will understand how you do the times you do without the big mileage

• Options

Missed my morning run today due to a delivery.  I will go out at lunch and as it's forecast to be 8 degrees with light winds and sunny, there is every chancen that this will be my first T-Shirt and short run of the year image

RR - I started a new pair of shoes this week, intentionally to have them broken in by marathon day.  I'll have put close to 100 miles on them by then so they will be well broken in but not too worn - perfect.  However, they are exactly the same brand and model as my last pair, I wouldn't imagine changing from brand and model at this stage would be wise.

• Options

Morning everyone...and a lovely one it is too.   No running today, two days rest...then another attempt at 20 miles on Friday...hope it goes better than the last one!

Rebecca, don't worry about the music thing, lots of people (including me) will be wearing ipods, and as the roads are closed there won't be an issue.  obviously try and be courteous to other runners and be aware of your surroundings, but really, they often say this and there is rarely an issue.  It's only ever a problem on smaller scale races where they don't close the roads, and you wouldn't hear cars etc.

Happy running

Panda

• Options
    Thanks Panda!! Need my playlist to keep me motivated and I've asked friends to suggest songs as well as sponsor me so would be gutted not to be able to have it with me!
  • Options

Completely agree....I can manage a 5k without it, but that's my limit.....I would die without it, lol!

It would be lovely if it was a day like today for the marathon, it's cool but sunny and very little wind.  No doubt it won't be like this though!

• Options

My mate is running Manchester with me. Well, i doubt we'll be running it together, as I intend to beat him. This will be his 11th or 12th marathon, but my second.

My PB is 5:08:22 from Brighton a few years ago, and his PB is 3:57:06. He regularly comes in under 4 hours.

My training has been the P&D 55mpw plan, structured, disciplined, etc. I have hugely cut back on drinking over the winter and am completely off the booze for April. His training, as always, is one 11mile run on a Sunday, with a hangover. He smokes 20 a day and is a borderline alcoholic, but I guess is naturally fit.

He has done NYC, London, Berlin and Chicago, and until Tokyo was added this year, the only marathon major he'd yet to complete was Boston, which requires a qualifying time of 3:10 or 3:15 i think (we're both 34 years old). He's been banging on for years that he'd like to do Boston, so I told him last autumn that I would beat his PB of 3:57:06 in Manchester this year. And I've trained hard. If everything goes well and comes together on the day I am capable of a sub4 marathon I think.

He still doesn't believe I can beat him on the day or break his PB, and we've been having lots of tortoise and hare banter, so if all does go to plan, I'm hoping this spurs him on to actually put a bit of effort into his training, to see if he can improve his time and perhaps get a BQ in the next few years.

Either way it's motivated me to train and I'm going to obliterate the painful memories of limping around Brighton. If I do beat his PB the next challenge I'm going to lay down is to get a BQ before he does image

• Options

AG - yes!!! love it and obviously can't wait to see how it goes. Believe you can and you will - go for it!

• Options

Nothing like a bit of friendly rivalry!  LOL....He sounds exactly like me partner...I don't know how anyone can go into a marathon confidently on 11 mile long runs!  That is a mid week run for me, and I am pregnant!

I bet you will be really pissed off if he beats you!  You must make sure he doesn't!  Have to say, I doubt he will beat you unless something goes wrong.  From what you say, no matter how determined he is, your training that you have put so much effort into will have you streets ahead on the day.  Why not follow a sub 4 hour pacing group, then if you are feeling good you can break free and go a bit faster towards the end!

best of luck, I will be keenly seeing your race reportimage

panda

• Options

AG - Go for it. My older brother used to be like that in that he could run with minimal or no training and still do good times, although age and the drinking/smoking is catching up with him now. He keeps talking about training with me as he was always the "runner" in the family but funilly enough there's always an excuse for not entering a race that I'm doing

I gave up smoking 11 years ago but I must admit I've still been having several beers at weekends, throughout training, although I don't tend to drink in the week these days, which has also meant that my long run has not been at the weekend to avoid the hangover/dehydration scenario. I' ll be beer free for the week leading up to the race and make up for it on the Sunday night (hopefully)

Rest Day for me today (still no number)

My new shoes are exactly the same as my current ones, I've worn Brooks Beasts for the last few years to counter some Plantar I used to get. My knees were a little stiff/sore after 15 miles on Tuesday which suggests the current shoes are on their way out. As SB said I've got another 10 runs on my plan before race day which would put about 70 miles on them before race day due to the taper, should I decide to change them now although there are still 100-150 miles short of what I normally get out of a pair

With regard to the ipod scenario, I still haven't trained without mine but I always run alone. On race day maybe I want to experience the crowds/atmosphere although I've lived in the area all my life and will be running through most of my happy hunting grounds as well as past most of the pubs I mispent my youth in. I think I'll have mine with me and probably wear it unless something happens. I'm not going to be in a position to "chat" on my way round the course as some people seem to be intent on doing, I won't be in a state to do that or maybe I'll surprise myself

There is another Events thread about not wearing them at Manchester. There was a similar thread before Wilmslow HM and it did raise some quite heated debate. The "proper" runners don't want to be impeded etc by people who can't hear them coming while there are those that point out that if it says don't wear them it would be rude to ignore a polite request and "break the rules" 

I'm not fussed and think that on a long run I'd struggle without it especially as I'm a plodder rather than a "runner"

Secretly I'd like to come in under 4 hours as it is jsut attainable if I have a good run and I'm going to start out following the relevant pacer and see how I go. Mrs RR is expecting me home in nearer 5 hours so I may have to influence her arrival at the finish time without raising her expectations

Keep it up everyone, we're nearly there

• Options

RR - Mrs RR is going to be pleasantly suprised I reckon! I take my ipod on long runs but I never take it on race days for several reasons. I'd hate to be disqualified plus I do enjoy listening to what's going on around me (and have had to respond to other runners who've needed help) and I love having a natter. Each to their own though and I'm definitely a plodder too