Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Well, I will be wearing mine, I will probably not wear them for the first mile or so to take in the atmosphere, then take them off at the last mile or so for the same reason.  I can't run without them and as RR said, it is a mass event and they would be hard pushed to disqualify anyone from wearing them (probably half the course!).

Just waiting to go out for my second attempt at 20 miles that I failed spectacularly last week.  I feel strangely nervous and just want to get it over with.  I fear if I can't make it round there is no point in even doing the marathon.  If I do get round it will be my 4th 20 miler, and I just have to pray I have no hiccups in the next two weeks till the big day.  I have a little tummy now....though it's probably more to do with the food I have been eating than anything else!

It looks very pleasant outside, and can you believe I am in a t-shirt...and no gloves! I have got a cap on as they forecasted showers but looking outside I would be surprised.

Good luck to anyone else running today.

Panda

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Good luck Redpanda - hope it went ok for you.

RockinRobin - treat yourself to a Garmin if you can.  I worked some overtime to justify mine and absolutely love it.  You can get a 110 for about £100 from Amazon.  Mapmyrun used to drive me nuts.

12 miles for me on Sunday, oh and the plan says 5 today so best do that too I guess.

Restful weekend everyone.  It's Brighton Marathon on Sunday and a few from my running club are taking part - I will be checking times with interest...

• RP - I've probably got more tummy than you and there's definitely no baby in mine!

I'm doing a 12 miler this weekend and a friend is running with me (I usually run on my own) so there'll be a lot of nattering going on. By the end it'll be jaw ache I'm suffering from rather than leg ache.

• Good luck RP and carter for your weekend runs, for different reasons.

• Just been out for a half marathon distance run. I'm aiming for 3.45 which is 8.35 minutes a mile so thought I'd do it at that pace or quicker. I got myself a budget gps watch - not flash but it does the job - and now I can see my average pace and find myself constantly glancing at it, which probably has the effect of slowing me down! Anyway, got round in 1.48, average pace 8.20. And that's despite a bit too much wine last night, so things are looking pretty good (100% injury free this year as well which is a small miracle). And that's it, no more booze now until the run, I swear. Well apart from tonight perhaps. It was noticably more pleasant out there now it's warmed up a bit as well. Perfect race day weather I'd say. The likelihood of getting it on the day? Slim. 

I got my number but just like last year it says 'Samuel' - which I dislike - rather than 'Sam'. Must be my fault but I don't recall being asked what I'd like it to say, I must have just put my full name for the card payment details. I think they should specifically ask 'what name would you like on your number' - for all they know I might have wanted it to say 'Flash' or 'The Rocket' or something. So last year I got 'come on Samuel!' shouted at me which I just found slightly vexing. I think I'll cover over the 'uel' this year. 

I normally run with earphones - not music normally, I like to listen to Radio 4! Yeah, that's the way I roll. I won't have them in for the race itself but it doesn't bother me in the slightest what other people do. I don't really understand the objection to it - last year I saw plenty of people with them and exactly none seemed to be having trouble with crashing into other runners. Personally I think in the future we'll all be running with Google glasses with voice activated maps, music selection, maybe a little animated personal trainer...but I'm rambling now. 

Hope everyone's plans are working out.

• For more fun, you could just cover the "Sa" instead....

• Good luck RP and carter for your weekend runs, for different reasons.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Cheers SB. I'm going for a few miles tonight (hopefully) then a few more on Sunday (hopefully). I've got another physio appointment booked in for Tuesday as well. If I'm still having knee pain in these runs I think I will be talking to the physio about a recovery plan that doesnt involve running image

• Yep good luck to Carter and RP hope all goes/went well and indeed to those doing a longer run this weekend as part of the wind down process.Hope everyone achieves their milestones

Popped to Chester for the day with RR junior and the weather is lovely

Hopefully more of the same when I go out for a run tomorrow, hoping to discard more layers (though not in a Full Monty type way)

Also enjoying not having to take out a bottle and gels for a change

Still no sign of the race number but awaiting the postie as we should get the letter regarding our daughter's primary school place this weekend too

• Sam_Turner wrote (see)

I must have just put my full name for the card payment details.

I hope that's not so Sam as my Dad paid for my entry!  so I'll be running round with JOHN on my number, BTW still haven't received it ggrrrrimage

• MM - ha I'm sure it's not the case really. I expect I just wasn't paying attention!

Someone asked a while back what last year's medal was like. Well - I just found mine. It's an odd, bobbly shaped thing featuring an orange dude imposed on what I can only assume is an approximation of a map of Greater Manchester. The thing is, it's kind of misleading as the orange dude is completely east side, as far from Trafford as you can be. He has his head in Rochdale, his feet are in Stockport, and I won't go into details about Tameside. All this reminds me that my brother, who lives in Surrey, is coming up to do the marathon and he is totally unfamilar with Manchester. I think he is expecting impressive landmarks - palaces, bridges and malls, like a smaller scale London. I haven't dared tell him yet that the only mall he's going to get is Stretford Mall. Timperley and Flixton are perfectly pleasant places but I don't think it's what he's expecting. At least we have Old Trafford this year - unlike me he gets very excited about football related things. 

All the best CarterUSM...injuries at this stage are the nightmare.

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

No Number yet but just got my Race booklet as an email.

Very excited ....

• Hi everyone!

Thanks for thinking of me....I made it...21 milesimage!  I felt fine, though my legs were sore towards the end, and it took 3 hrs 55 mins.  It was really quite warm in the sun, and it was lovely to run in a t-shirt.  I am so pleased I managed it, as I had severe doubts after last week.  Fingers crossed for a healthy two weeks now.

LOL...I purposely put "JO" as my name on the registration thing not "Joanne" (Only my mother calls me that anyway!).

I love Chester RR...nowhere nicer on a day like this.

Good luck with your 12 milers ladies...it will feel like a walk in the park compared to these long runs we have endured.

No number for me either, but like you say I got an email so not panicking yet. 

I had some recovery drink after my run and I think it might have helped (I never normally bother) though it made me gag drinking it! 

Happy running folks...really won't be long now

panda

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Well done RP, brilliant running. Keep well ...

• From the race booklet: "There will be two ways to get to the start area - one for runners with a time of less than 4 hours, and one for runners with a time of more than 3 hours 30 minutes".

I've read that several times and it's not making any more sense.

• That doesn't make any sense?  it must be a misprint?!

• Sam_Turner wrote (see)

MM - ha I'm sure it's not the case really. I expect I just wasn't paying attention!

Someone asked a while back what last year's medal was like. Well - I just found mine. It's an odd, bobbly shaped thing featuring an orange dude imposed on what I can only assume is an approximation of a map of Greater Manchester. The thing is, it's kind of misleading as the orange dude is completely east side, as far from Trafford as you can be. He has his head in Rochdale, his feet are in Stockport, and I won't go into details about Tameside. All this reminds me that my brother, who lives in Surrey, is coming up to do the marathon and he is totally unfamilar with Manchester. I think he is expecting impressive landmarks - palaces, bridges and malls, like a smaller scale London. I haven't dared tell him yet that the only mall he's going to get is Stretford Mall. Timperley and Flixton are perfectly pleasant places but I don't think it's what he's expecting. At least we have Old Trafford this year - unlike me he gets very excited about football related things. 

image re Tameside!

Going past Old Trafford, well I could have done without that to be honest.  Not sure how much the retching will bugger up my stride patternimage  (sorry RR!)

RP - Great to hear!  Glad you got such a big confidence boost so close before the big day, must have been very welcome?  Good stuff from you.

Not the best day's training for me.  Was due to do a Park Run as my last warm up race and then a 6 mile warm down for the run home.  I've had a cold this week and it's all on my chest now so there was no way I was doing the PR like that.  Went out to do a 10 mile easy instead with the last 3m at just below 10k pace to get some speed in there.  Felt awful to be honest but it may have helped bring some mucus up.  Sorry about anyone tucking into lunch right now!

Anyway, on and on people!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Sam, I notcied that as well but if you look at p16 and 17 the little map gives you an idea of the setup at the start and how to get to where you need to be. Makes no difference to me because I know I'll be well and truly in the more than 3hrs 30min section ie near the back. If you're looking at between 3.5 and 4hrs it could be a bit of a problem but looks like it'll be a case of get to the start pens anyway you can and sort yourself out once you're there.

• Hi everyone...what's happened to the sunshine?  Started off glorious and now is grey and wet!

SB well done on your run, it's never easy when you are not 100% but you did quite well all things considered.

Just opened the race booklet...there is a lot of stuff in there!  I haven't got the time right now to read it all but it keeps banging on about the race village.  Is there any reason why you have to go to the race village?  I don't especially want to, would rather just go straight to the start....we don't have to collect t-shirts there before or something do we?  I couldn't see any details to this effect but I have known it happen in other marathons so thought I would ask.

Also, if I do go straight to the start are there any loo's there do you know?  I am peeing more than ever thanks to the baby and I would not feel comfortable standing at the start for ages with no where to go for a wee?! 

Sorry to ask stupid questions but I do panic about the little things (not the actual running!!)

Thanks

Hope everyone had a good run today?

Panda

• ...PS....Not that I am worried about my bladder much, but how many toilets are on the course?

It doesn't say on the map but I would like to know just to put my mind at rest if anyone that has done it before noticed?!

Ta

• Sam_Turner wrote (see)

From the race booklet: "There will be two ways to get to the start area - one for runners with a time of less than 4 hours, and one for runners with a time of more than 3 hours 30 minutes".

I've read that several times and it's not making any more sense.

It makes sense if you read it in conjunction with the "Start Area Plan" on page 17. If your estimated finishing time is 3 hours 45 minutes then I think you should start in the middle of area C, for which there are two ways to get there - either via Sir Matt Busby Way or via Wharfside Way. So you could choose either route to get there. I am hoping for a 3.15 finish so I think I should line start in the middle of area B which I will access via Wharfside Way.

Redpanda wrote (see)

...PS....Not that I am worried about my bladder much, but how many toilets are on the course?

It doesn't say on the map but I would like to know just to put my mind at rest if anyone that has done it before noticed?!

Ta

On page 23 it says "Toilet facilities will be adjacent to each Water Station". The route map on page 15 shows the location of the water stations

No number for me yet.

• Thank you!  Plenty then...though goodness knows what state they will be in when I get to them...the perils of being a snailimage!

Panda

• OMG...just messing about and came across this plan!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/grattons-hard-marathon-training-schedules/2126.html

WTF??  I thought some of you were hard core, but bloody hell...you would need NOT to work, NOT have a family and have legs of steel and be off your rocker to do this....have a look, I've never seen anything like it.

Would love to know if anyone has followed it on here?  I know a lot of really good runners, but this is far and away more than what they would do even.  mad!

Panda

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Sam as you know I'm also targeting 3:45 and Saturday morning completed Half marathon in 1:48:35 which was a slightly better (13 seconds) than two weeks before London last year where I got 3:47:51
  • SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda - had a look at the "hard-marathon-training-schedule" - an understatement if ever I saw one!!  Looks like a living nightmare to me, how could you ever enjoy running again?  However, I guess, with regard to time it takes, there are sooooo many people who sit for 3 or 4 hours every evening watching tv, so an hour or two training instead, suppose it could be done along side a job etc ... if you wanted to!!!  However, I find it hard to fit in 45 minutes running sometimes.

Out for 12 miles later with a friend (who really should have entered this marathon as she's been on nearly all my long runs with me - good company).  Obssessively reading about carb loading, not hitting the wall, tapering, blah blah blah. 

2 weeks today - we will be running!!!

• 2 weeks out and a bit of a heads up about the weather.  I sometimes bob on to a weather forum to see what all the weather nerds are prophesising about.  Looks as if lots of predicting models are starting to agree that last April may well return back to cool or even cold weather.  As much as I find that idea really depressing given that I haven't even planted and veg seeds yet but as far as the marathon goes, i'd take cold over heat willingly!

• 13 mile run today. Not sure if it was the tapering-blues or the high winds, but I struggled compared to my 21 miler last weekend. The gusting winds (here in south Manchester) reminded me once again of the hurricane conditions last year in the marathon.... I hope y'all have done some training in strong headwinds... Manchester is one windy town! Yee haw!

On the plus side, I had my first run in warm weather this year (at least in Manchester).

• Hi all - hope evryone is enjoying the taper, just having a look to see if everyone else has had their numbers - looks like I'm not the only one not too have received a number yet.

Strangely - I'll settle for cool just along as we don't have the rain from last year

Prof Canuck - I also did 13 as a taper run today and struggled a bit, where as my 20's have been fairly straight forward with me hitting my target training pace without too much of an issue. Had a feeling that I would have struggled to get 20 in today at target pace although I must admit I did enjoy the fact I didn't have a 20 to do today a bit too much last night and may have overdone it on the beer image

• Hi all

Yes, those winds make it extra hard.  No run for me today, but I was taken aback by the warm temperature...most unexpected....though it was like a scene from the Wizard of Oz!

It's funny how we can all suffer on short runs more than long runs.  I think it's just a natural part of training/tapering, and most people get dead legs at this point.

I would like cool and bright on marathon day...I don't want heavy winds and rain like last year, the weather couldn't have been any worse......we couldn't surely be that unlucky twice could we?!

Panda

• Redpanda - I can't remember the winds I just remember the rain and the cold. The hour before we started was a nightmare with the non stop rain but when we were running I didn't find it THAT bad but I had a good run if it had gone the other way and I had a bad one then god knows how it would have felt. Weather can't be that bad again (hopefully image)