Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Really sad news, couldn't believe the scenes I was watching last night.  Should be such a celebratory event too, so much achievement and good will going on.

These bastards can strike anywhere, any time.  Just got to keep on living life.

• Morning folks......yes, so shocking about Boston, just not what you expect.  I imagine London will be on high alert with Mrs T's funeral tomorrow then London on Sunday.  I just hope they find the culprits.

Sorry, tell me again this magic book, what's it called?  I am not sure I will ever have time for 55 miles per week with two babies but maybe I will learn a few principles at least!

Wonder if the postie will come today?!  8 miles this morning, warm in the sun, but a strong wind.  It feels like it has been windy for months here...why is there always a trade off?  Dry but windy?  Sunny but cool?  Warm but wet?!  Why can't we just have some settled weather?!!

Panda

• Yep, we don't watch alot of "live" TV so I only heard about Boston when the Tweets started lat last night. Shocking, I've been to OT a few times when it's on high alert and Mrs RR works for the owners of the Trafford Centre and they have similar alerts and evacuations but you never think it will actually happen for real.People just going for a run and enjoying a public holiday and something like that happens but I guess you can't live based on avoiding every potential situation that might mean trouble.

Sounded windy when I got up early doors this morning but it was really mild even though it was early. 13 miles in the new shoes seemed to go ok and it's downhill from here in terms of mileage, I think all my "usual" runs are shorter so hoping to feel the benefit of the taper over the next week or so

Feeling quite alot of niggles at present but nothing compared to some of the injuries that others have experienced

Still not had the race number through yet but it's getting real as the signs have started to go up announcing road closures and I saw quite a few of them out on Brooklands Road and around Sale and Timperley this morning

• i've just checked the manch marathon booklet, and true to form, it's pissing down in all the pictures. I guess they only had last years pictures to use for marketting shots, but at least it gives runners who might not be familiar with manchester a taste of the atmosphere they can expect image

• Slightly worryingly AG, we had rain last Thursday and it was genuinely the first rain i'd seen in maybe 6/8 weeks.  We've had so little rain this year that I fear it's going to be making up for lost time for the rest of it....

• That's true actually......I was joking the other day that we would be on a hosepipe ban soon as it had been so dry.....dread to think.  I really would think twice about doing it if the weather was like last year.  A few showers are ok, but not torrential rain and gail force winds..noooo!

Still no number....sigh.....

Panda

• Last year sounds just horrific.  Freezing too, wasn't it?  Cold, torrential rain and winds is just about as bad as it gets eh?

• Anyone noticed that in the booklet on the page with the route in they have mixed up the length of a mile and a KM.  

• No number for me yet either... and I registered back in July and live in Manchester! Geeeshh...!

Nice 11KM run for me this afternoon... the winds were pretty gusty, but the brightness made up for it.

Yes, last year was cold, heavy rain and stiff headwinds, especially after the 1/2 way point on those long stretches through the industrial estates near Carrington (or whereever it was.)

• Just got back from Boston , fantastic event the best I've ever ran in the locals love you for being part of it.

I was in a bar about 100yrds from the finish line when it all kicked off, very very sad.

I was thinking of not doing Manchester but this has made me more determined to run it , see you all on the start line.
  • Looking forward to this, my second marathon, after Liverpool last year.

As for the black ribbon idea - great - are people pinning it to their tops in a loop way? 

• Welcome back Jonah...blimey, you must have been through the mill.  Terrible events, and I am pleased you are ok....I hope you enjoyed it as much as you could, and yes, you should certainly do Manchester.

I haven't heard anything official about the ribbons?  I heard London Marathon were giving out black ribbons to runners, would be nice if Manchester did the same.

LOL..on a lighter note, on the BBC breakfast news this morning they had the oldest runner and youngest to be doing London.  The youngest was a lad who is 17 now, but turns 18 on Friday (the minimum age to enter) and the old bloke (who looked tip top) was 88!  It was his 22nd London Marathon...way to go!image

Still no number....

panda

• No number for me either...ahhhh!!!!

• No number for me either. Supposed to have been posted on Monday....pigeons would have been quicker

Jonah - glad you are safe 

• Be bloody quicker to go down there in person and get it myself !!!

• Good point Redpanda - where is the office? Sale or Altrincham?

• Hi, Manchester is going to be my first marathon,I am a fairly decent runner have done Manchester 10k the past 4 years,pb was 41.57. The furthest i have ran while training for this marathon is 17 miles and have done a few 14 mile runs,been getting a little stressed the past few days as feel like i haven't trained enough,but some friends off mine reckon i will be fine. Am sure when it comes to the day i will b fine and really enjoy it. Am planning a couple more runs in the nxt week or so,nothing major. Any advice/tips how to stay relaxed would be great. Thank you
  • I was joking....but it might not be a bad idea!  I am not sure tbh, feel like going down and punching them as they are so crap.. emailed them with a question, and what a shock, no reply.

Hi Steven...how many times have you ran 17 miles?  You sound pretty fast!  Have you got a time in mind?  No tips on how to relax, but I would say, if it's your first marathon you should just try and enjoy it and not worry about time.  it will be hard of course, but take the pressure off yourself by just vowing to enjoy the race.

Panda

• Steven you will be good to go, pace yourself sensibly and if you have anything left in the tank, give it some at the end! lol

Been looking at Shrewsbury marra as a follow up to this!

Oh and still no race pack for me either....
  • Done about 2 17 mile runs and a few 13 or 14 mile runs,its all Bern a bit random really to be honest been getting out quite a bit doing various different miles and am feeling ok,am sure i will definitely enjoy the day,have got plenty of support from family and friends so really can't wait to get going. Cheers guys,its great to chat with other runners who are doing the marathon.
  • Not really got a time in mind as its my first one but my coach reckons if i pace it right I can run it in about 3 hours 20,no pressure then ha ha,but to b honest i will go out their do the best i can and enjoy the moment.
  • Bugger off....you are too fast Steve!

That's a brilliant time to aim for for a first...some of us will never get under 4!

Seriously, just relax and enjoy.  You will be surprised how the crowds and adrenaline keep you going on the big day.  Yes, you could have trained more, so could most of us, but you have to have a life eh, and with a potential time like that you must be pretty fit anyway.

Good luckimage

Panda

• Ha ha thank you,your right though about the training am sure i have done all i can,will throw a couple more runs in then just chill out till the day.

Good luck to u aswell and hope u enjoy it.
  • Sounds an ambitious time that Steve.  I'm aiming for only a few mins quicker than that off a 38.52 10k PB and 5 x 20 mile runs.  It's also my first marathon.

Then again, maybe i'm undercooking my target, who knows?

• Hi mate that time was not from me,personaly i will b happy with what ever time i get and just to finish it as its my first one,if i did get that time i would b made up. But don't think i will to b honest.
  • I'm sure you'll finish it mate, anyone fit enough to run 17 miles in one sitting can finish a marathon IMHO (barring injuries), even if it means walking the last few miles.  I'm hoping for 3.15 as my best possible finish but expecting somewhere between 3.15-3.30.  I had originally targeted 3.10 as my ultimate !"would love to have" target but I think that was just too ambitious and may end up counter-productive, screwing up my last 6 miles by pushing too hard.

• Strangely brown~ you have the potential to go sub 3hrs surely, have you got a recent half mara PB?

How many times a week you been running? 5?
  • One day mate but not on this one.

My HM PB is only 1.28.52.  It was during this trainig so no taper.  I'm sure i'd get that a little lower with proper taper.  I'm not at sub 3 level yet.

I've been running 5 times a week, up to 55 miles (well, I peaked at 58 actually) a week.  Should, fingers crossed, put me in shape for a decent sub 4 time but sub 3 will be a bridge too far.  That'll be my aim for my second one though.

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)

I'm sure you'll finish it mate, anyone fit enough to run 17 miles in one sitting can finish a marathon IMHO (barring injuries), even if it means walking the last few miles.

I am taking that as my mantra, lesiurely 6.5 for me this morning on one of usual routes but with some of the bells and whistles removed to cut the distance (was very tempted just to do the whole thing)

Given that the street looked like the daleks had come off worst in a scrap with Dr Who overnight (wheelie bins everywhere) it went well and the wind seemed to drop although admittedly replaced by driving rain

My concern is that I had hoped to feel a bit more energetic and a few less niggles and muscle aches as we went through the taper and that's not been the case so far

I'm also getting the odd moment where I think it's been a long time since I ran a large distance, will it come together on the day

I think I'm falling the middle of most people's plans, not done the extent of training that P&D do, have run 4 days a week and stuck to a program loosely based on the Manchester Intermediate program and would be happy to come home in

under 4.5 hours but around 4 would be a nice bonus if I have a good day

I think my biggest problems are going to be not going off too fast at the start and then keeping going at around the 18-20 mile mark when psychologically I've not gone much further and that's about the stage my thighs start to "hurt"

I always find the buzz at the end and seeing the finish line gives me a lift on the last mile or so