Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• ....LOL...I always read it as "Pure MANC"!

I love to know where people get their forum names from!

5 miles down the canal for me, in the sunshine.  Legs felt fine, but I was a bit hot....not that it's even that hot but I was sweating!  Still, I reckon weather like today would pretty much suit me.

I am feeling really nervous, as I do before every race.  I will be ok once I start running, it's just all the getting there, hanging around and stuff before, does my head in!  Still panicking about my bladder.

Just thought of a tip when I was out running, for marathon newbies...something I learnt on my first one (Paris).....Take the shortest route. 

I know this may sound obvious, but I didn't realise!  In Paris, there was a blue line on the course, all the way (I think there was in Berlin too), and this blue line is supposed to be the shortest route I think, so you stay on the inside, cut the corners etc.  I was so engrossed in the race I didn't even notice the blue line until after the race was over.  When I checked my garmin, I had done so much weaving in and out and never thought about the line, and I had run an extra 3/4 mile nearly....I had almost covered 27 miles!  You would be surprised at the difference it can make.

That's my tip.

Any word on the toilets ???

Panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD!!

That's a good plan Cybarev...Are there loo stops at every tram stop do people know?  I know there are at some...does RR know if there is one at Old Trafford Tram stop?!

There are no toilets at any of the tram stops as far as I know, certainly not OT. Metrolink shut most of the station toilets when they took over the line in the early '90s. There are gents toilets outside the concourse of shops at OT and they use the "pods" on match days which are basically urinals out in the street. I think you'd probably have to try the shops at White City, the KFC or one of the pubs near OT to find a suitable toilet to use away from the race village

I too sucumbed to a night on the beer on Saturday and was coaching at a mini rugby festival yesterday. Went out for a 5 miler this morning, took it very easy as still got quite a few aches and niggles and stiffness. Another 5 tomorrow, rest day Wednesday and the final 5 on Thursday although got to fit around Mrs RR working away for 3 days

Adam - If you've got an idea of what time you want to run, do what alot of people are doing on this forum and lurk behind the relevant flag bearer (this is going to look a bit like Benny Hill on Sunday). I assume the additional pace bibs are for the race organisers to see whether the pacers and the runners that followed them did do it within the relevant time frame rather than to point the finger as such

• Piotr Peter wrote (see)

Hello. My number came yesterday. My estimated finish time was 3:55 so I expected I shall be in the middle pen (C or D) but I am in pen B. I hope it is not a mistake as I do not want to start to fast. Anyone else with simmilar time is in B?
    I wish there is no pace team for my predicted time.
    I am looking forward to see you all guys there.
    Do you have any suggestions what is worth to see in Manchaster after the race (next day of courseimage  )

I'm in C and I think I put 3:45, so I don't know what's happened there. Perhaps I was feeling pessimistic and put four hours. Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable with B I'd just move back and start in C. There's no way they'll be checking everyone's in the right place, it's just not practical. As for Manchester, depends what sort of thing you're into. There are lots of good galleries and museums...lots of good bars too!

• Redpanda wrote (see)

....LOL...I always read it as "Pure MANC"!

I love to know where people get their forum names from!

Right, that's it, I know your'e pulling my leg now.

It's from the title of the first Vibrators single "Pure Mania". Nowt to do with running.

• Got home from Newcastle yesterday after a lads weekend away, ruined is a understatement, got the week off so gonna live like a monk...and at last my number came, got a brooks 3.15 pacer number also came, really not sure if i'm gonna wear it though..

• Auntie Ninja wrote (see)

Help!  It's only Monday and already I can't concentrate on anything!  I'm at work, supposedly with my head down, beavering away, and all I want to do is think/talk about running, running shoes, T-shirts, running, marathons, gels, water stations, running, ribbons, pace teams, niggles, running, socks, numbers, parking at OT, negative splits, running, finishing times ..... ANYTHING to do with next Sunday and running.  I'm not sure I can take another six days of this. 

"But it's Pure Mania. It stopped being a game. When you found out it would take you to the Asylum again."

The Chorus of Pure Mania. So maybe it is about marathon running after all. I think we all feel like this now Auntie Ninja

• Hi RR...Cheers for the info....I knew you would know!  Bollocks though, not what I wanted to hear.  Looks like I will have to wander to the race village after all.  I will probably spend as much time as possible there, i.e leave it to the last minute to go to the starting pen.  Though no doubt I will have to stop at the first water station to have another pee...nightmare!

Sorry to hear you are having niggles, but it's probably partly in your head.  I think we are all feeling the same...I thought I could feel my hip on my run on Friday, and then it was my feet on Saturday, and today it was the back of my right thigh!  Go figure.....It will all come together on race day, I promiseimage

Pete....what did you do in Newcastle?  Where did you go?  There used to be a big boat on the Tyne there called "Tuxedo Royale", and it was a nightclub with a revolving dancefloor...Cheryl Cole used to work on it...I think it's defunct now though.

Agree about the pacer thing.  Funny enough, I must have requested a pacer bib when I entered, as it was in my pack...though I can't recall doing so!  I am not going for a time now anyway, no point, but if I were I would just follow the appropriate pacer, and they should be easy to spot.  No rules to say you have to declare you are officially following them.  I would be slightly careful though, as from what I have heard, the pacers themselves often cock it up.  I remember one of my friends followed a pacer at some half marathon, and the pace was all over the place.  He confessed he had messed up half way round, and they had to half kill themselves to get in under that time....so just follow your own watch too I would say.

I know what you mean about being obsessed AN....I feel sick with nerves, it's stupid....I get like this every time, and I don't even care about a time.  Don't know why I do it to myself!

panda

• http://www.metcheck.com/UK/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=manchester&day=6#.UXUqsdtwbIU

If this is right it looks a lot better than yesterday, and would actually be quite good!

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Was a heavy Saturday night on the beer for me as my team Port Vale were promoted image

I'm just very grateful we've achieved it and it hasn't come down to the last game on Saturday, that could have ruined my marathon.  I'm also glad now I didn't get a London place, that would have given me a huge dilemma.

The footy has distracted me from all the build up to Sunday to be honest, have been more nervous about that than the race although both are equally important to me.

Pre race excitement can build now.  I'm certainly looking forward to carb loading Thurs/Fri/Sat and a big chill out day on Saturday.

Just two runs for me this week, 4 miles tomorrow and Thursday.

Enjoy the week folks.

• Valley wrote (see)

Was a heavy Saturday night on the beer for me as my team Port Vale were promoted image

I'm just very grateful we've achieved it and it hasn't come down to the last game on Saturday, that could have ruined my marathon.  I'm also glad now I didn't get a London place, that would have given me a huge dilemma.

The footy has distracted me from all the build up to Sunday to be honest, have been more nervous about that than the race although both are equally important to me.

Pre race excitement can build now.  I'm certainly looking forward to carb loading Thurs/Fri/Sat and a big chill out day on Saturday.

Enjoy the week folks.

Yep, I'm going to have to be careful for similar reasons at OT tonite and I'm going to drive to the match to make sure I don't indulge should the title be won this evening.

Could also be interesting on Sunday should United not win tonite, you usually get alot of fans going down to Old Trafford on the day the title is won, so if that were to be on Sunday at the Emirates then it could get very busy outside Old Trafford at the final whistle. That said, the game wouldn't finish until around 6pm and by that time I assume most of the finish area will have been removed from the race (I think the official end time is 3pm)

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

I don't think there's much danger of it not being achieved tonight.

Enjoy the game.

• Valley wrote (see)

I don't think there's much danger of it not being achieved tonight.

Enjoy the game.

It'll be a bit strange as I walk the last mile to the ground from where I park, so I'll be walking the final stretch of the marathon course tonite. Obviously I won't be popping into the Gorse Hotel on the way past on Sunday image

• Anyone else staying at the ramada Salford quays?
  • Congrats Valley, think Port Vale are a club well overdue a bit of success eh?

RR - I've no doubt the title will be secured tonight.  I hope you won't take offence if I don't offer you the same level of congrats as I did Valley, when it is sealed (i'm a Leeds fan, so you might now understand why!).

Can't say that I share the same nerves about the marathon that some people talk about but I certainly am really looking forward to it.  Not just the running part but the whole day.  I have some friends coming down to watch me and then we're all off out for some scran in town and a few beers afterwards.  Should be a cracking day.

For some odd reason I can't explain, i've never really properly considered myself a runner.  More a bloke who runs.  I know that the marathon has been the missing piece there and I do realise that's a load of nonsense too.  Just in my mind, I felt I could never say I was a runner if I also couldn't tell them a marathon PB.  It means a lot just from that perspective, regardless of the time.

It's all trivial and kinda meaningless but it's also somehow important as my running life develops and grows.  An important step.

• What time are you guys planning on getting to the race village? Given it's a 9am start, I'm hoping to get there around 8am, or shortly after. Should be plenty of time to find the toilets, then the start pens, etc. I'm not planning on dropping off any bags, so shouldn't have to wait around doing much.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

What time are you guys planning on getting to the race village? Given it's a 9am start, I'm hoping to get there around 8am, or shortly after. Should be plenty of time to find the toilets, then the start pens, etc. I'm not planning on dropping off any bags, so shouldn't have to wait around doing much.

Yep, around 8am. Getting the tram up to Old Trafford tram station from Navi Road and I think Mrs RR is coming up with me and will take my "outer layers" away with her and bring them back for me to wear after the race

Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Congrats Valley, think Port Vale are a club well overdue a bit of success eh?

RR - I've no doubt the title will be secured tonight.  I hope you won't take offence if I don't offer you the same level of congrats as I did Valley, when it is sealed (i'm a Leeds fan, so you might now understand why!).

Can't say that I share the same nerves about the marathon that some people talk about but I certainly am really looking forward to it.  Not just the running part but the whole day.  I have some friends coming down to watch me and then we're all off out for some scran in town and a few beers afterwards.  Should be a cracking day.

For some odd reason I can't explain, i've never really properly considered myself a runner.  More a bloke who runs.  I know that the marathon has been the missing piece there and I do realise that's a load of nonsense too.  Just in my mind, I felt I could never say I was a runner if I also couldn't tell them a marathon PB.  It means a lot just from that perspective, regardless of the time.

It's all trivial and kinda meaningless but it's also somehow important as my running life develops and grows.  An important step.

No offence taken, I've got a mate from Wakey who's a big Leeds fan and we get together for an all day sesh in either Leeds or Manchester once or twice a year

With you on the running side if things and how you "label" yourself, I started doing the odd morning run around the park and it sort of expanded from there, a friend did a half marathon so I did etc although I'm the only one who has gone on to do a marathon (I know a number of people who have said that if they do it would have to be London). I run 4 times a week, I'm fitter than I've ever been, put most of my mates to shame but on the other hand still sort of feel inferior as the muscle bound lycra clad athlete storms past me on the canal towpath

The marathon is my way of proving to myself that I can set a goal that isn't entirely straightforward and achieve it by my own endeavours (it could get quite emotional at the finish line on Sunday)

• No time for footie....I so support Sunderland, but I just think some of these players are an absolute disgrace...like that Liverpool player that bites people...what's that all about?!  hence, I just can't bring myself to get too excited about it, more out of principle really.

SB, I know what you mean.  I always think of myself as a "jogger" and a "beginner"...and as I am slow, I consider myself a bit rubbish too.  I know I shouldn't but when I compare myself to some sub 3 hour people, I just think I am only walking really (almost!)

AG....as late as poss!  I hate hanging around....I was thinking about 8.30 earliest....I was going to ask my friend RR for some advice on timings actually, as he is the man in the know!  Can you tell me what time I will need to leave my house (roughly) on the Sunday ...in your opinion?  I am not sure how busy the tram will  be or how long it will take really?

hence...I have to get from Lymm to Alti, get parked up at the sports centre, then get the tram to Old Trafford.  Then, I need to pop to race village for loo's and then walk to the start (as late as poss).  I was thinking of 7-30 am, or do you think that's cutting it too fine?

Cheers

panda

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Thanks SB and yes we're long overdue, 19 years since our last promotion.

Talking about getting emotional, this is my first marathon, it's a life long ambition.  I bought a book on how to run a marathon when I was 20 but never had the will power to get out and do it.

I started running 4 years ago when I was 35 but due to repeated injuries once I went beyond 13 miles it's taken me this long to actually get here.

I don't mind admitting there's probably going to be tears when I finish.

• I KNOW there's going to be tears when I finish!

We're coming from Warrington and aiming to get there about 8 ish - I've bought a ticket for Old Trafford car park, so hopefully straight forward.

I hae all the hanging around too, but worry if we leave it too late then the roads will close.

Also the longer the wait around the more likely that I'll have to use a port a loo (urggh!) - Reading Half in March was the first time in my life I have ever had to use one *I have issues!*

• ....Well, I will DEFO have to use one..yuk, I know!  That's the main reason I won't go to Glastonbury, as I couldn't handle it.

I am planning on somehow carrying loo roll with me, just in case.  TBH, I would rather go behind a bush or something, but this is the problem with city marathons, there aren't any.  Or are there?   I don't think there is anywhere really rural on the course you could sneak off to (and no, I have no shame!)

I must be a bit odd, as I have never got emotional after any marathon, or even having the baby!  however, if there is a story on the news about an abused animal....different story!!image

Panda

• I'm not usually emotional on things - I think for me it's because I started Couch to 5k last January, not a natural sports person at all & at 44, I've surprised myself (& everyone else!) by doing this & seeing it through image

I've never gone behind a bush either lol!

• I KNOW there's going to be tears when I finish!

We're coming from Warrington and aiming to get there about 8 ish - I've bought a ticket for Old Trafford car park, so hopefully straight forward.

I hae all the hanging around too, but worry if we leave it too late then the roads will close.

Also the longer the wait around the more likely that I'll have to use a port a loo (urggh!) - Reading Half in March was the first time in my life I have ever had to use one *I have issues!*

• rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
    Valley wrote (see)

Enjoy the week folks.

Yep, I'm going to have to be careful for similar reasons at OT tonite and I'm going to drive to the match to make sure I don't indulge should the title be won this evening.

Could also be interesting on Sunday should United not win tonite, you usually get alot of fans going down to Old Trafford on the day the title is won, so if that were to be on Sunday at the Emirates then it could get very busy outside Old Trafford at the final whistle. That said, the game wouldn't finish until around 6pm and by that time I assume most of the finish area will have been removed from the race (I think the official end time is 3pm)

I'm a Spurs fan so the weekend has worked out well for me, going to Wigan v Spurs on the Saturday while I'm up. I'll be in a Spurs training top for the race Sunday. Got to be done seeing as Old Trafford has inflicted so much suffering in the past (not this season though, hey!). RR Robin - no need to to say thanks for yesterday's result, we enjoyed it just as much! Fair shout about if the title comes down to Sunday, that will be interesting outside OT although surely everyone should've finished the race by then. Saying that, I would obviously quite like United to be taking the Arsenal game seriously. Valley - Congratulations on promotion. I still haven't forgotten 1988 FA Cup 4th Round though.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Praise The Lord, my number arrived today. Start pen B, so that's OK.

Getting very excited/nervous now! Have a safe next few days of running, peeps image
  • Paxton - no worries, must admit I have a soft spot for Spurs as they've always "played football" when they've come to OT. We'll also have Bale off you if that's OK image

RP - Not sure how quick the drive from Lymm to Alty will be but the car park should be quiet and make sure you don't drive in through the centre of Alty which will be closed. I'd be looking to get on the tram around 7.30 myself, it's 15-20 mins to OT on the tram and then another 10 minute walk to the stadium and I think they're around every 12 minutes on a Sunday, so you'd probably be at the race village for 8 on a good tram ride. Normally they'd be quiet on a Sunday morning but I'm not sure how many people will be parking up in Alty and getting the tram up. That said if you get on at Alty it's the first stop so you should get on and that was a technique we used to have to use when going to OT if the trams were starting to get full further down the line.

In terms of places to stop during the race, we go past a number of pubs en route but unfortunately Trafford MBC got rid of most of the public toilets in Sale/Alty due to vandalism. We also go past a couple of public parks, lesiure centres etc. I think there is scope to be creative should the need arise

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    Paxton Lee wrote (see)

Valley - Congratulations on promotion. I still haven't forgotten 1988 FA Cup 4th Round though.

Thanks Lee and neither have I image

I was actually showing my lad the game on You Tube a couple of weeks ago, a great memory.

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

RP sounds like we've been thinking along the same lines. Me and the family will be driving to Alt and parking then jumping on a tram to OT. I dont know Alt at all are there places to park? Think we'll be aiming for a tram from Alt about 7.30ish.

All this footy talk gets me down. Being a Tranmere fan who were doing so well and then blew up big time from February!

Anyone wearing a ribbon on Sunday to show suppport for familes affected at Boston?

• Valley wrote (see)
    Paxton Lee wrote (see)

Valley - Congratulations on promotion. I still haven't forgotten 1988 FA Cup 4th Round though.

Thanks Lee and neither have I image

I was actually showing my lad the game on You Tube a couple of weeks ago, a great memory.

It's on Youtube is it? Part of me wants to go and have a watch now just to see if it was as bad and muddy as I remember. Nah, I'll give it a miss!

Robin - Oi! Hands off Bale! Good to see Carrick getting recognition in the PFA list, a criminally under valued player.

Sorry to football haters on the thread!

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda - asked the question about toilets on facebook yesterday, but no reply!! Could always get a shewee, or whatever they're called!!!???

I also can't concentrate on anything at work!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Right, I'm off for a gentle 4 miler ....... hopefully help me concentrate a bit more!