Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Just a bit of extra padding Valley!  They get a tad warm thoughimage

• Leeds United fan here....i'll be having Powerbar sachets one every 30 mins.

keeping my fingers & toes crossed for no wind (in a weather sense!) on Sunday.

I'm flying to Manchester on Friday and i've got to get a coach at 4am to get to Rome airport..I'm going to be shattered so I'm hoping to get a decent sleep tonight and tomorrow. Pen B for me!

• Do you guys have spectators cheering you on? Where are you suggesting they stand? Unfortunately, the parts of the course where crowd support would be most useful (the last third) are also the most inaccessible by public transport, out in the sticks. So I expect there will be plenty of support aruond the tram stops and then a wasteland from miles 17 to 25. Or perhaps i'm wrong and they'll be lining the streets of Urmston.

• That's what I thought AG.....those are the hardest bloody miles too!

I have planned with my partner to see me at Stretford, then on to Sale and Alti (it loops round so there should be plenty of viewing chances there)....easy enough to get on and off the tram.  Hopefully he will then catch the tram back to Old Trafford to cheer me over the line (if I haven't collapsed by then!)

Panda

• ..PS..you will certainly be tired!  Try and get lots of sleep nowimage

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

AG 17-25 does look a bit out of the way. My uncle and his family live in Urmston and are coming out to support. Havent worked out where Mrs C and les enfants will watch from but the route looks like there are loads of places next to tramstops. I reckon RP has it about right and will probably suggest a similar plan.

Molly, did you say Rome? have you ever run the Rome marathon? I'm seriously considering it for next year. All depends if my boys schools will let me take them out of school for a few days educational holiday time!!

• The really lonely bit will be around 19-21 miles, along Carrington Lane. I went that way on a training run at night and it's just fields each side. Just a couple of miles but it felt longer. There should be some people out in Urmston at least. 

• Cybarev - Rome is my nearest "big" marathon and I've done it six times. Not as good as say London for crowd support but a great course (last 1/3) running past loads of monuments. Some people complain about the cobbles to they don't bother me to be honest. I wouldn't say it was a fast course - just different.

• Hi guys n gals, looking forward to Sunday, but noticed it says headphones are banned, is this likely to be strictly enforced? Seen this kind of thing before but it is often ignored!
  • AgentGinger wrote (see)

Do you guys have spectators cheering you on? Where are you suggesting they stand? Unfortunately, the parts of the course where crowd support would be most useful (the last third) are also the most inaccessible by public transport, out in the sticks. So I expect there will be plenty of support aruond the tram stops and then a wasteland from miles 17 to 25. Or perhaps i'm wrong and they'll be lining the streets of Urmston.

Last year even in the appaling weather there was good support in all the built up areas and Dunham Massey - the rural sections had sparse support. Based on last year I would expect the support through Urmston etc to be good (although Altrincham town centre was by far the best support last year)

• Last run before the weekend done. Really looking forward to it now, it's been constantly on my mind since Sunday and will only get worse! My plan for the weekend...

Friday: Train up from London in the evening after work. Staying in the Travelodge Salford Quays.

Saturday: Morning - Worsley Woods parkrun, very very gently of course. It looks like it is an easy 20 min bus ride. Afternoon - going to Wigan v Tottenham. Evening - find a restaurant to carb load then an early night.

Sunday: Guess what, marathon day! Starting in pen C. Looking for a sub four hour time. Do I stick with the pacer and use the last few miles to sneak under or do I run my own race away from the pacer, say 8.55 min miles? After the marathon, long bath and go out for some beers and food.

I'm up on my own so if anyone else is in the same boat, staying nearby and fancies company - particularly for celebratory drinks afterwards - then feel free to PM me. Otherwise, have a good one all!

• Last year I didn't stick with the pacers exactly but I knew where I was in relation to them - that is, ahead of four hours and behind 3.45. As my target was to get under four hours it was pretty useful to know I was definitely on track (well, unless they'd messed up). This year I'll do the same except I'll be trying to keep ahead of the 3.45 one, or at least keep them firmly in sight. 

Just went for a five mile run/jog - lovely evening to run, everything good, except when I got home I realised my running shoes have started to fall apart! I kind of knew they must be getting past their best but didn't realise things were so bad. What to do now? Risk a new pair for the day or risk them completely falling to bits during the run? 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Just a quick mention about the energy gels/blocks provided by the organisers.....last year at mile 16ish there were none left and I wasn't at the back of the field either. Best to take some of your own as an emergency supply, rather than rely totally on theirs.

Jimmy I doubt they'll enforce the headphones rule....but just be careful at the finish line as I read recently that runners at another even were DQd as the crossed the line wearing them.
  • It says somewhere that anyone caught wearing headphones will be asked to remove them. They haven't threatened disqualification as far as I know...but yeah, taking them out near the end sounds like good advice.

• Burnley fan

I’m going to wear my drink belt with on full bottle of Lucozade sport and 4 tropical sis gels in the zipper. Will top up on extra fluids on the course at 20+ miles. I think having the flexibility to take a sip of drink as required every few miles will serve me well as per training rather than carrying a bottle at the station and rushing a swig.

Going to start with the 3.30 pacer for as long as I can hopefully till about 15 mile then hold on to come in around 3hr45 battling like hell if the 3hr45 pacer gets near me. Going to lurk around the pacer rather than wear the pace number as I can’t see the point of advertising my optimism of several months ago pre injury if the wheels come off.

Not run since 17 mile on Sun decided to rest going to do a steady 6 tomorrow and that is probably it or maybe something really light Thursday on soft ground or treadmill before Physio.

Doing my stretches for my sciatica, quite optimistic.

Thanks for the tip about taking the shortest route round the course I’m going to try and remember that on the day.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Had a sports / leg massage and legs really sore now, my ITB and hamstrings didn't really appreciate her elbows lol. My calves were very tight and my masseur said it was probably all the running in the snow, like 4 weeks or so ago when I was supposed to do 22 miles but could only manage 19 miles in thick snow taking much longer and hard efforts than normal.

Hopefully will recover next couple of days with two light 5ks Wed/Thurs.
  • Molly - You're a felow white!  Hope you're ready to throw a few Leeds salutes out as we pass under Old Traffordimage

• PureManic - (To give you your official title for a change!), regarding the weather, well....what can I say.  It's tarting to shape up very nicely indeed.  Cool/mild, dry and light winds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

Will it still be saying this by Saturday night though?  I think we can rest easy that there isn't an impending storm winding up for the event so what ever we do get, it doesn't look as if it's going to be too extreme in any direction image

• Last run done last night. 6.5 miles

Bit worried about this as I've only done 5 training runs since feb.

Also considering running in a tri suit, does anyone know if this is wise?
  • Morning all...this thread has picked up!

Good tip about taking your own stuff...I would anyway, as you can't always rely on there being enough stuff.  I have known races where they have even run out of water...I am sure that won't happen, but I wouldn't guarantee all the other goodies being left.

Weather...dare I say, is not looking too bad.  I will keep my mouth shut as I don't want to tempt fate.

Andy, I can believe you about the snow.  I think you run completely differently in snow and ice, so as not to slip.  My legs always hurt much more from even a short run in the snow. I think you clench your legs a bit more too somehow, as you are aware of now falling.  You can't relax really can you?

Am pretty sure the headphone thing will be ok and lots of people will be wearing them, but yeah, no harm in taking off near the finish.  Best to anyway, so you can hear the crowd roaring!

Scott...wow!  Are you really fit?  When you say 5 runs, what length?  I must say I would be a bit worried too, but I know some people who could still do this fine as they are fit in other ways.  My brothers friend just turned up for the Liverpool marathon on the back of afew 10k's and got a better time than me!  however, he does loads of cycling and has done an Ironman before so was fit.  How come you have not done much?  Injury?

No running for me today....just a bit of walking...trying not to eat much....but ended up having a delicious cup cake after my tea last night (don't you just love them?!)

Happy running!

Panda

• Getting a bit worried about the fact that it might be a tad warm on Sunday. Just looked at BBC weather for Sunday and it's looking very sunny all day with highs of 12 degrees. I'm used to the cold!

Went for a 4.5 miler yesterday along the seafront and the calf is twinging a bit today - has been on and off now for a couple of weeks. The foam roller and rest seems to sort it out so I'm going to rest now until marathon day and not take any chances. I feel like I've inherited the calves of a Russian shotputter!

I'll be taking my trusty Clif Bloks and water belt with me on the day to wash 'em down so that I don't have to rely too much on the stations if they're crowded. Though I hate running with a belt it's what I've always trained with on any 10 plus mile runs.

Have any of you marathon pros got any last minute invaluable tips before Sunday???
  • did a very easy 5 mi jog at lunchtime yesterday. Have an easy 7mi with 2mi at target race pace at lunchtime today.

I'm now obsessively watching the weather forecasts. Sunny intervals, light breeze, morning temp below 10 degrees. Perfect.

• The weather forecast changes every time I look. It says showers again now. I think all signs are that it will be a pretty ordinary northern spring day and not in any way extreme like last year. I'll take that. The best thing is that the wind looks reasonable. 

• Last year's weather still give's me nightmares...

• Just this minute seen the local forecast on the news and Kerry Gosney said..

"Sunday should be mostly dry and bright"!!

Get in !!!!

• Yes RP that's what I'm getting.

Looking forward to a maoosive takeaway curry and vino in Wigan on Sunday night with the extended family if I can stay awake long enough! Combining marathon with seeing the rellies image

Sunny here in Devon today. We had 20 degrees here yesterday!

Did I say I'm getting nervous by the way??
  • Not getting much work done, I'm constantly checking the temperature for Sun. I'll be taking all gels with me, looking silly with a Lara Croft type beltimage

• Was in London yesterday and in was positively summer like.  Finally feels like we have come out of the never ending fridge of winter 2012/2013.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - just dropping in to say good luck for Sunday. Weather forecast looking pretty perfect for you, I ran it last year so I know how important this is. I will be out supporting on sunday, more than likely near mile 21 when you more than likely will hate all supporters. I will have jelly babies though (well, my daughter will).

So, good luck again. Don't go off too fast. Keep an even pace (I followed a pacer last year and worked really well). Be prepared for pain and a very strong desire to slow down and/or stop.

• Cheers 15West.  I don't imagine i'll find myself hating anyone who has taken time out of their weekend to provide encouragement to total strangers doing a very personal challenege.  Thanks, in advance, for the support image