Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Don't understand the pace bands unless you don't have GPS or a Garmin as it would advise the average pace you need to maintain. The 3:44:59 pace band is very easy to understand as its basically 7 MPH. That's 7 miles 14 miles 21 miles after 1, 2 and 3 hours respectively with 13.1 in 1:52 and 20 in 2:52. A bit of a distraction to try to read the pace band???

• Rebecca my dream was that my running partner ran off at mile 20, I couldn't find the Finish and had to ask in a newsagents, there were no other runners or marshals around and when I looked down at my feet my trainers had disappeared and I was wearing one black stiletto with woolly tights! Think I need help!

I'm off up North tomorrow. Good luck everyone and have a blinding race day x
  • I'm getting a bit nervous at the fact, even though I've followed a training plan; my last long run of 20 miles was 3 weeks ago, then 13, 2 weeks ago & a 8 last week with short runs in between.

It seems so long ago and am worried if it'll all kick in on Sunday!

• SSA - I guess it's natural to feel like that but I have faith in my training plan, you should too, in yours.  If tapering didn't work, it would have been exposed as snake oil by now.  It's obviously the right way to prepare and you obviously don't lose the benefit of the work you've put in otherwise the plans wouldn't have them in.  Keep the faith, put those negative thoughts away and just look forward to it image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SSA - sounds like a perfect tapering plan to me. Best of luck Sunday.

Good luck to everyone this Sunday and I hope the weather is good for you. Dont go off too quickly !! And keep well hydrated and take on enough food/gels.

SB - tried messaging you again but I dont think its working still. Best of luck to you on Sunday mate !

• SSA - my plan sounds similar to yours. Just be confident that all the hard work you've put in is now finally going to pay off.
  • hi guy's

LOL  at these dreams!   I have had the same reoccurring dream many times.....It consists of, I am running a marathon and am right at the very back, slowly losing sight of other runners.  I must be going really slow as eventually I lose sight of ANY runners, or any signs or marshalls, just me, on my own.  Then....I end up getting lost and going the wrong way, and I have to ask members of the public where the finish is as I have no idea, as everyone else has finished and gone home and all the signs have gone!!!  Ha, I have had this dream many many times, and had it just the other night....hope it's not an omen for Sundayimage.

I got my name ironed onto my vest!  If anyone else is following suit, just be careful as it seems to have left a slight iron mark...not so much as you would notice, especially when running but annoying!  I think it might have been my partner's fault as he did it for me, well, it couldn't be my fault! 

The sun has been out pretty much all day here, but it's defo not warm, and there is quite a wind.  There is rain forecast, but none yet.

I will share my number with you while I remember...1681

You can look out for me and if anyone else want's to do the same......image

Right, best bring my washing in before it blows away!

Panda

• carterusm wrote (see)

SB - tried messaging you again but I dont think its working still. Best of luck to you on Sunday mate !

It's bananas is that messaging system!  Cheers SB, appreciate that pal.  Sorry again that you won't be involved image

Injury improving much?

• I am not a number I am a human being!

Oh, it turns out I am a number actually:

8682 - neil

Not that I think there's a great deal of chance of us spotting one another image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SB - I've been 10 days without running and it will be another 3 weeks before I attempt my next run. I've been going to the gym but its so boring. Plenty of exercises, strectching and foam rollering though. I'll be back on the roads and trails before I know it....

• Thanks for the reassurance guys; too much thinking time on my hands!

Have got my Sports Therapist coming in a bit, then Steak, healthy chips, mushrooms & salad for tea, so this tapering lark does have it's perks! image

My number is 5022 (Adrienne)

• Panda - I'm 1825 if you see me shivering in the E pen!  You'll be able to see my sparkly white hair from miles away!  Have you ironed "Panda" on your top?

NL- are you sure it was a dream and not some subconscious memory of coming round after a good night out?

SB - yes, I'm the same.  Fidgety, antsy, can't concentrate, fiercely jealous of any other runner I see out there...although also feeling mildly superior to them as if they're running today they can't possibly be doing the marathon on Sunday..or can they?  Should I be out there as well?  Aargh!  Taper-madness strikes again!

• I did my last long run of 20 miles 4 weeks ago and no more than 8 miles since but its been good for my knee and my 20 miler was a really good one so just trying to focus on that.... Hopefully I'll get through it....

northern lass ill look out for u and ur stiletto!

I'm      5062......

i'm running for Manchester children's hospital and managed to raise £515 so far which I'm well chuffed with... Then eyre keen for me to wear the charity t shirt but I'm not sure.... It's an ordinary cotton tshirt and I'm used to running in climalite type tops.  Although they are sorting out some support along the route so it would be good if they saw me in the tshirt and could cheer me on.....

hmmmmm what to do?! 

I'm starting worry about everything now it seems!!

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Rebecca - don't wear cotton, no way! Stick with the technical running shirt.  Perhaps run with a notice pinned to your back saying who you're running for, but defo not cotton!

• Cheers Andy! decision made!!

• Aunty Ninja, That last bit about seeing other runners out did make me laugh!

Another Pen E starter here too image

• AN - image  Well, my plan had me running today and tomorrow but just light and easy stuff.  Glad today's working day is getting close to the end now...

CUSM - Best of luck to you mate, let me know if you sign up for Chester....

• ha ha...not Panda...but I will mostly be wearing a black top with white writing of my name on there..."JO"....so that is where the Panda connection endsimage.  If it looks like rain I will wear a cap.  I would rather not though, as I am promised a good turn out on the course and I worry people might not spot me so easily in a cap.  If it rains I can not bear it running in my face, so this will be the only circumstance I wear a cap for.

Becca...no way...not a cotton t-shirt.  Plus, if it rains it will be awful and heavy.  Fancy giving you a cotton t-shirt!  I have run for loads of charities in the past and have always been sent a technical vest (a cheap ish thing, but did the job). In fact, the NSPCC even sent a selection of letters so I could iron my name on...good eh?!   Well done on your fundraising.

Is anyone going out after?  I would like to, though obviously I can't really drink (maybe one!), I suppose it depends on a lot of things, and I can't really make firm arrangements at the minute, which is annoying.   I would normally have booked the table for us by now!!image

....and the rain has arrived...sigh...it's May next week...not funny anymore.

Panda

• I'm 1562.

Have to say, never seen numbers with the timing chips on them before. I always thought the chips had to be worn low down for the timing mats to read them.

Train up this evening to Manchester, paranoid that I haven't packed something though! I don't need a passport, different currency or plug adaptor do I? image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Don't know about anybody else but I'm feeling stuffed from all this carb loading.

I'm not eating huge quantities it's just the regular snacking which is doing it.

I'll have to stop shortly otherwise I won't want my Friday night curry.

I might well look for a decent pub for lunch and a drink but I don't know what's in the area.  Suppose it depends on how I feel at the finish too.

• You'll need some warm clothes and a local phrase book. 

I'm 8720 - could well turn out to be my position as well.

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

The chips on these numbers aren't too bad.

I did a half last year where the chip was a loop of wire running round the whole circumference backed by plastic which made it really heavy and rigid.

• Dilemma over!

Mr H has just presented me with a red running top with BECKS on the front and 'running for RMCH' on the back!

i've not even seen him this week so he had no idea I was even worrying about it! Said he saw it on the telly on the VLM and thought it would be a good idea!

the boy done good!

look out for me please! 

• Bless him!  That's a lovely thing to doimage

• Had a horrible dream last night that I'd got to mile 25 and I realised I didn't have my number on and my race was nil and void!!! Arrrrrrgggggghhhh!!

• How funny that my last post has popped up again?! Random!!

• We've got a group going out next week for a Persian (no, I've never had one before either) as our training buddy is doing the Stratford marathon on the same day - hopefully with more success than last year's fiasco!  I won't have my name on my top for once unless eveyone's going to call me "Stockport".  It says Nina on the bib, but you'll need glasses to read it...  That's where the Ninja comes from by the way - my nephew and an unfortunate accident with predictive text...

• Thank goodness I'm not alone in my thoughts/worries (chants again to himself believe in the programme). Last long run was over 3 weeks ago, 20, then 15, then 13 10 days ago although my total mileage stayed a bit higher than intended until this week so am feeling a bit stir crazy and scared that I'll have lost a bit of whatever I've built up.

Not got much appetite and when I do eat pasta, rice etc normally it's all wholegrain so Mrs RR really pulled her face about white bread, pasta and rice on this week's shopping list. Popcorn instead of beer for me tonite.

I think I'm 2619 and have got an orange running top that I've been saving from Christmas as it seemed to fit with the race day colours

VALLEY - There's not really anywhere nice to eat in the area around Old Trafford, you'd be best off heading into Manchester or back into Sale or Altrincham. There are a couple of pubs but they don't really do food and cater more for the match day drinker

Going to be a bit wierd getting a lazy day to myself tomorrow so hoping there's some good sport on TV

My motivation is provided by

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/whereyoulive/altrinchamnews/10373107.Former_Altrincham_star_is_the_first_with_motor_neurone_disease_to_run_the_London_Marathon/?ref=mc

• RR - Is there a reason not to stick with the wholegrain?  It's all carbs isn't it, just slow release vs fast?

Got me concerned now as I only have wholewheat bread in.