Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• My daughter tweeted a photo of my running pal and me to the Evening News so we're the last picture at the very bottom of their marathon webpage - I'm the little one!  My friend Anne unfortunately didn't make it past half way - she tripped in a pothole and ended up being carted off to hospital with a broken thumb, shoulder damage and a nasty bruise on her temple.  The Red Cross were very good, but they left her lying on the road for 45 minutes and then took another 20 to do the paperwork before getting her off to hospital....not a good end to the marathon for herimage

• But having said this - the crowds were great. Real support not just clapping.  People properly cheering you on.

I also loved the roadside coaching. At 20 the marshall shouted to me just 42 minutes to break 3 hours..... I thought he must be one hell of an optimist to think I could run the last 10k in 6.45s.

Another guy shouted - 'stop smiling it's meant to be a marathon'.

I've run Paris and Berlin and the support was not in the same class.

The commentator was fab too and the guy who shouted 400 meters to go - though a sign would have been nice. In fact were there any mile markers early on? I think I saw 8 or 9 which was on teh other side of teh road behind a tree.

A great marathon despite the results shambles  at the mo. Let's hope they magically sort it.

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Here's a good one, if I search on my surname there's 2 of us (different first names) and we've both got the same results including the finish time image

I know mine are right cos they match my Garmin.

I bet the other guy isn't too happy.

• aah, that's a nice pic AN....you are famous nowimage.  What a shame for your friend.  I ran past a couple of women at about mile 19 actually and one had to stop and was holding her leg and crying her eyes out.  Looked like it was game over for her.  Must be so upsetting after the training etc.   I suppose we should just be grateful to finish safely, considering the state of some people on that course!

Depends if he is a better or worse runner than you Valleyimage

Panda

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

There are no photos of him so maybe he was a non runner

• Well done to everybody. Really good to see so many excellent times achieved by you all yesterday.

I came in at 04:03:10. I missed out my sub 4hr target but it is a 40 minute improvement on London last year so I'm pleased enough. I stayed with the 4hr pacer up until mile 22 then I felt him pull away I slowed down for a water station. I didn't have it in my legs or the will mentally to put in a burst to catch him up. I noticed my pace slipping and legs getting heavy around the open windy part of Carrington so I went for damage limitation then, slowly but surely rather than walk/run repeats.

Other thoughts from the day - I thought it was very well organised in the village (can't comment on parking/trams). Noticed a few people going into cones. One poor chap in the first mile got his legs tangled in a discarded bin bag and went over. I can't believe a fellow runner thought it was ok to leave that there on the course, tut tut. I didn't particular enjoy the opening five miles, the out and backs around Old Trafford. But once we got out onto the road it was great. The support was fantastic particularly through Sale, Altrincham and on the final three miles. I had a Spurs top on so I enjoyed some of the comments about that from the side, especially the chap with 200 metres to go who shouted "Spurs are sh*t mate" whilst clapping me. Following the pacer, it was quite congested in that bunch so, in future if I adopt a similar strategy I'll aim to hang back a bit further or go just ahead. The pacer did keep talking throughout and I liked the "Three parkruns to go" call, much better than his earlier effort of "35k left!" Does anyone know what time the 4hr pacer came in at? Early on he said our "landing" time would be 3:58. I liked the little jelly cubes but would have liked more isotonic drinks on offer. I kept in mind a piece of advice from here last week, from Panda I think, about taking the shortest line. My garmin came in at 26.08 miles, compared to London last year which was 26.6 miles!

At mile 23 I said to myself, never again. I had already previously signed up for Abingdon in October and was wondering how I could sell my place! Alas, 9am this morning I registered myself for the VLM ballot.

Cheers all for an enjoyable thread here and some great advice throughout. Well done again.

• Maybe he was a ghostimage

• Ah Lee....glad you took that advice on board!  I did that myself and my Garmin measured 26.1 (compared to 26.7 in Paris, my first marathon).  It really does make a big difference.

Sounds like you had a good race though, and it's an excellent time, especially for your first.  Are you still doing Abindon then?  I bet you want to beat your 4 hours eh?  It will be easy peasy by then.  I always do much better in Autumn marathons as you have the advantage of light nights and nice weather (well, not Winter weather at any rate!!!).

I have thought about London but I can't be arsed.  For what it would cost I would rather do Paris and have a nice break away.  If I was more local I would be more tempted.

Pleased to have helpedimage

Panda

• Regarding the crowds, have I been spoiled?  I have no reference point but I was genuinely blown away by their enthusiasm (this is coming from a Yorkshireman too!).  Are they better than most then?

• I think I'll give it a couple of weeks before deciding about Abingdon but the thought of doing the training programme, etc, twice in a year at the moment feels like too much. We'll see. Prediction? Of course I'll bloody do it!

Yesterday was my second marathon, after doing London last year, and it is is amazing how different the experiences were. Both had their pros and cons. I wasn't in anywhere near as much pain or emotional state yesterday so I'm chuffed to have put that one to bed now more than anything.

• Sorry, I knew you did London...Doh...you can see how fatigued I am!

You have done really well.  I bet you do Abingdon.....it's in October is it?  That's a good 6 months....you will be ready for a new challenge soon, and you won't need to start training proper till say, mid July, as long as you keep maintaining. 

SB, it was good wasn't it?  I have done the Bupa 10k many times, and I must say, the crowds are awesome then as well.  I have to say though, the best crowds I have ever seen (and I suppose I am a bit biased) is for the Great North Run.  I know someone that has done marathons literally all over the world, and still the GNR is his all time fave run, mainly for the crowds.  Saying that, they were brilliant in Liverpool too.  I just think Northerners rock!  Sorry Paxton Lee, lol !!!!

Panda

• My time is way out too. I crossed the line in 3hr 53 and my chip time was about 3 hr 51. When I looked at the results I am coming in at 4hr 24!!!

Something is not right but I beat the timing people don't know what the problem is.

based on this I won't be doing this next year I don't think

• Has anyone contacted them and complained?  Mind you, they don't seem very responsive....they have never responded to any of my emails.

What a shame that they will be in danger of losing people to this event due to timings....a basic thing.

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Paxton Lee - I have a photo at the start ... with you in it.  I was noseying at the official photos by race number and then noticed you on one of the photos that my husband took.  Can't seem to copy it on to this forum though.

• I feel for you Andrew. I am upset at losing a minute and 12 places you have lost 33 minutes. I'm really sorry.

I have sent my finish photos in. On mine you can clearly see people 10-12 places ahead of me in the official results behind me as I run over the timing mats. If you look at yours you should have all the 3.53 gun time people around you. Send them in and hopefully they will sort it out. They must be super embarassed and you have to assume if they are good people, which I assume they are, they will work round the clock to sort it out. You can't have people prepare for 6 months, run their hearts out, break 4 hours as you did, just for the timing chips to mess up and place you 33 minutes back.

• Whoops

Great run yesterday, as Sale resident it was great to see so many people out all over Trafford, although Brooklands Rd was special. Mind you the number of times I've run it, it was nice of it to give something back!

I had the same issue with the results site, I was up at 3AM, and after registering for VLM ballot I emailed Stuart via the M/CR marathon site, he returned the email before 4am.  From what he said they had some kind of software issue, but he confirmed my time, and after a trip to the Trafford centre this afternoon my result was rectified.  He knew my correct time, and there was no need to jump through hoops.

I just missed 4 hours by 79 seconds, I knew I should not have a slash on Carrington Lane!

• Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I've suffered shin splints throughout my running "career" and thought that I could only ever do one marathon as it would finally destroy me. However the usual pain is now strangely absent...(plenty of other pains in places I'd never expected though!).

Having never done this before, what's the standard rest time before starting running again? Couple of days? A week?

• Hi all

Ive been following this forum for a while now but never joined in till now !!

Having now run my first ever marathon (Manchester on Sunday) I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great advice, motivation and laughs this thread has provided over recent months....I'm just regreting not joining in sooner image(

Sunday was amazing !!! and thanks to the people of Greater Manchester for their tremendous support and words of encouragement !! I achieved a time of 3hr.34min which I was soooo pleased with considering it was my first... but only made possible by the fantastic support of the crowds and fellow runners !!

Well done to everyone who took part and for all those who helped stage such a well organised and friendly event !!

Happy running....see you all next year !!!!!!

• There's a number of  theories on rest times I've heard  post marathon.

1. Don't run for 1 week

2. Don't for 2 weeks

3. Don't run until you feel like it again -  if you don't feel like it it's your body saying it's not repaired yet

4. Don't race again for 26 days (1 day per mile).

Me I'm going to rest a week and run when I feel like it again.

Good luck whatever you choose.

btw we have an ulltra guy in our club. He did a 44 mile race on a Sunday and was up the next morning 5.30am and did 4 miles, then the next and did 7  - so I suppose it's whatever works for you.

• Hi all. I noticed something wasn't right with results last night. I didn't appear. I ran 3:14:07 chip and around 3:14:30 gun and I could find me by name. So I searched Platt and a Martin Platt came up with race number 7384 which was one before my number of 7385. This had my finish time and splits. It's now correct one one site and wrong on other. Problem is the results are now showing up on powerof10 etc so I can't assign to my profile as its not my name. I got hold of someone last night and was very helpful but it appears the problem is a lot worse. At the moment its as if I haven't run it! 

• Panda - Ha, let's just agree that we all rock!

Sallymax - No way! Many apologies for ruining one of your photos and probably for the best that you can't get it onto the forum! I'll PM you my email address if it's a good one although no doubt I'm gurning whilst thinking about the next jelly baby.

• To answer questions about when to run again, didn't the guy on the microphone at the begining say Ron Hill has ran every day since 1964??...ha

• Hi All,

Been lurking the last few weeks in the GMM build up.

Ran 3:15 off limited training but managed to run the 2nd half a couple of mins quicker than the first,

Just seen my photo's and a dozen or so great ones, but randomly the last picture is someone with the same number as me.  I first thought it was from last year's race but the road is totally dry, e-mailed the organisers to see if number could have been duplicated by mistake but no reply yet?

Any ideas?

• I wonder if they have issued duplicate numbers then. that might explain the timing issues

• Ha ha!  That's funny Snail, I don't get that at all.  I did notice on the results there was a woman on there twice...the same name but different numbers??  I think there are loads of mistakes on there and it must be hugely embarrassing for them.  Even small scale races can get timings right, it doesn't look great when a big city event like this cocks it up.  There must be 4 times this number run in the Manchester 10k every year and it runs like absolute clockwork.  They need to sort this out.

Re how long to leave it to run....up to you!  I would normally do a short very slow recovery type run on the Tuesday or Wed after the marathon, then another one at the weekend, then slowly build up again.  I wouldn't recommend any hard sessions though.  I won't be doing that this time, as there is not much point for me.  I did have to walk the dogs last night though and again twice today so I am still being active!!!   I am hoping to go spinning on Thursday night if I can find a babysitterimage.

I really hope they get this timing thing sorted.  Really not good if you are a fast runner or wanting to use it as a GFA.  In fact, it's not good for any runner. End of!

Panda

• Well I can find no trace of this other guy anywhere else.  My number was 12000+ and was a late entry.  In the photo, no other numbers are visible so can't even track it down that way.

BTW, all of my splits look pretty much spot on

• Just checked and mine is now showing correct on both http://www.stuweb.co.uk/event/1376 and
    http://www.racetecresults.com/Results.aspx?CId=38&RId=421 

They must have found the problem and going through them all??? 

• I've just e-mailed the photo guys with the two pictures of their website - (with me and another guy wearing the same number) asking him to confirm that both pics were taken this year.

If they were, they have duped numbers, that may help with people missing in the results. Ie: The same chip will only record once over each mat so they other guy will never appear in any results.

Oh dear

• I'm still chuckling about the Martin Platt thing!  image

• I know. Doesn't help my middle name is David. image