Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I will have to look out for that Pete.  Agreed, the crowds were amazing, all the way round. 

I doubt I would have made it to the end without such fab support.

I was just thinking, it was a shame the course didn't actually go through Manchester itself, don't you think?  Instead of doing a loop round Salford Quays I think it would have been better to start it near the MEN say, then have us running down Deansgate, before heading up Chester road...but other than that, a good course, and great finishimage

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I ran 4h28 apparently, which is odd because 30 mins before the start I was on my long run for the week in the West Midlands, 100 miles from Manchester.

• Options

Eh?  What do you mean?!

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

He means he's got a finish time even though he didn't run

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Just been reviewing my garmin data and map.  At mile 7 it has me cutting a corner over a house just before Sale town hall so that explains the missing 0.14 (Garmin was showing I'd run 26.06), which I noticed at the 12 mile marker point when it was showing 11.9 on the Garmin.  So I must have ran faster in that mile or so as the Garmin was showing a shorter distance.  No wonder the pacer couldn't catch me!!! This is what helped me sneak under 3:45 as my pace dropped to 9 min miles in the last couple of miles. Phew!!!

• Options

I thought that's what he meant, but how on earth can that happen?  I take it he must have entered and decided not to run?  What a mess eh?!image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Yeah I entered and got an injury and then flu leading to 5-6 weeks off in Jan and early Feb so I pulled out knowing I couldn't do it justice. A phantom time would have been more welcome if it was a London GFA.

• Options

That's really worrying isn't it?  have you contacted them?  Did you defer your place to next year or just not turn up?  I know you could defer if you contacted them by a certain time.

LOL.....were you pleased with your phantom time?!! image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Didn't know you could defer, just didn't turn up,  was  clear by early March I was going  to miss it. No I wasn't chuffed with a 4.28!! Anything I could have got  a London GFA with would have been ok though!

• Options

Ha ha!  You should write a strong letter of complaint to them, and advise that, all things considered you would like a refund/free place next year.  My guess is, they are shi**ing themselves about some of the fallout from all this mess.

• Options

Graeme K you have made my night - that is hilarious!

What a shambles - have you ever heard anything like it? - people who didn't even run are getting times.

Maybe I should look for Ron Hill in the results !?

The first set of results I got were close but clearly wrong.

I now have some that are still wrong yet what makes me laugh is that I bring home the second half in world record pace.... well 1.02. Surely when a timing company is saying someone runs 2.04 for the first half then 1.02 for the second then they must realise that something is gravely amiss.

I think I may post my splits to UK Athletics and see if they will take a chance on me in an international. It would appear that if I can get the first half of my race sorted I'll could be challlenging the East Africans in Rio for gold. Just need to warm up better next time. 

• Options

...Looks like Mo Farrah might have some competition in London next year from a few on this threadimage!!!

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

Ah, thanks for the compliment, it wasn't so bad, just really tired legs.  They feel fine now, but I seem to have developed the trotsimage.  Probably because my body is in shock with all the crap I have consumed since Sunday......Am just grateful I didn't have this problem on the run!

Definitely dodged a bullit there, that would have been a nightmare scenario.  How are the legs now?  This made me chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKKU1H7fUaY

Part way through this it pans to all the men taking a slash on the grass verge.  I hadn't noticed at the time and can't believe how many people had to stop so early on!  BTW, i'm near side of camera at 1.13 (blue top/yellow base/balding head - ha!).

Shazmo - yeah, that was me regarding the top but i'm just not bothered about it to be honest.  I don't think i'd wear it so no pont kicking up a stink really.

• Options

I've been dipping in and out of the results for the last couple of days and I noticed that the net time on the photographs area of the web site (type in a bib no) was often different to the ones in the results. I think the net time on the photo was correct. I looked at a couple of random names around my finishing times which looked wrong yesterday but seem correct today - e,g, at random John Howard no 5398 and Neil Trott. Yesterday these had a large Start Mat time but they look better now (would expect just a few seconds)

My times and splits have always looked right and have not been changing but by position has - because the other incorrect times have been changing I suppose.

I think they may have sorted the problems out

• Options

PM - I am Neil Trott and yeah, the time on the picture is my original finish time.  it doesn't tally with my Garmin though.

• Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

I've just explained to my daughter (9 year old) about the timing cock up, and how important it is for runners to know their time. She gasped and asked "Are they going to run it again?!" A solution, I suppose?

• Options

I ran the Manchester marathon last year where my baggage was left out in the rain to get soaked, pilfered and trampled into the mud, I ran it again this year and as much as I always enjoy a run, it is totally discredited with the most riduclous timing issue I've ever seen. I won't be doing this again. The marathon of the North is on or around the same date and I'll be there instead. 

• Options

The results for me have now been corrected as well so they haven't lost the data.  I was surprised that they were so confident to put something out early Sunday afternoon without appropriate checks.  Anyway, Power of 10, Run Britain and the club website will all be correct now.  I think they should get some credit for working hard to fix it and not just shugging: "sorry, we've lost it".  They were also quicker than I've experienced before with uploading the photos.

• Options

Ha SB...You are right...I dread to think how I would have fared on Sunday..probably would have dropped out to be honest!  Legs are fine...are yours?  I would have loved to run today, it's a gorgeous morning, but nobody to mind Lois (baby) so will have to make do with walking instead.

Why couldn't the weather have been like this when we were training?  Bloody typical!

LOL....It never ceases to amaze me how soon people stop to go for a pee.  Even I managed to hang on till half way.  On a similar vein, I saw people walking about as early on as well (obviously at the front where you are you don't see this!),but I thought "uh oh"!

ha ha Hallam! ......Like replaying a footie match or something!  I don't think that would go down too well though, lol!

I am from Durham (all my family are still up there), and hugely tempted by the marathon of the north as well.  I don't know how hilly it is?  Does it start and finish at the stadium of light?  It's the weather that puts me off for it a bit....always windy and cold in Sunderland and I think it goes along the seafront for part of it.  I suppose if they fell on different dates I might do both?  Look at me planning ahead already lolimage

Panda

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

I'm still chuckling about the Martin Platt thing!  image

Redpanda wrote (see)

Ha ha....not married to someone called Gayle I hope?!!!!!!image

Don't be silly but I did call me daughter "Bethany" haha only kidding image

The Ally of Not Enough Hills - I agree fair play for their hard work in trying to resolve this issue. I suppose that's the problem with Technology. I worry every time I run about my chip and it not registering. This is the first time I have had an issue.

• Options

Re the chips....I personally like it better when they are on shoes.  I did wonder what would happen if your bib came off (if the weather was bad like last year I bet the wind damaged some bibs).  I normally end up ripping my number at some point (though I didn't do it this time, miraculously!).

Ha ha Paul...have they got your name right now then?image

• Options

HA SB, thats a coincidence but I suppose everyone on here did run the marathon.

I still not sure the results are right though. I looked at Mark Todds results and he is at 20 miles in something like 3.17 but finishes in 3.03. Good running Mark !

• Options

My results are still trash, I know my halfway is still 7 minutes out

• Options
    Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Can't do links but type in you-tube 'Altrincham Children's Choir sing at the 2013 Manchester Marathon' Bloody brilliant.

• Options

Brilliant...they were singing that song when I ran past them. I think they must have sung it more than once cos the guys running past in that clip look faster than me...

• Options
    Green Pete wrote (see)

Can't do links but type in you-tube 'Altrincham Children's Choir sing at the 2013 Manchester Marathon' Bloody brilliant.

Agreed, it was tweeted to me by the organisers of the marathon so there should be a link on their Twitter feed too

• Options

I stopped going past so I could listen to the Altrincham Childrens Choir, they were absolutely fantastic

• Options
    PureManic wrote (see)

HA SB, thats a coincidence but I suppose everyone on here did run the marathon.

I still not sure the results are right though. I looked at Mark Todds results and he is at 20 miles in something like 3.17 but finishes in 3.03. Good running Mark !

Ha - incredible effort really, almost hard to believe....

Yep, kids were quality, had me chuckling my way down the road.

• Options

I  have told the guys at Tadworth AC - sod the long runs, sod the 20 mile warm up races.... you need a time machine, that's where you have been going wrong image

• Options

I'm now complaining to the organisers have given up on the timing company btw