Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Btw, thanks SB and PM  - with the right kind of training and diet you too could run a -14 minute last 10k to transform your time. image

• I want a time machine now.  Can it make me 21 again??image

• mark Todd 4 wrote (see)

Btw, thanks SB and PM  - with the right kind of training and diet you too could run a -14 minute last 10k to transform your time. image

• Has anyone ventured out for a run yet since Sunday? image

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭

No running yet,  quads are still painful.

Will probably try a slow 4 miles tomorrow then back on it with a 13 Saturday morning as Potters Half is my next big event on 9th June.

• Did a very slow 2k this morning, still quite painful. I put Rembrandt recovery down to a lack of training though.

• Bad recovery that is meant to say.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

No runs so far, will possibly try short run Friday PM and 13.5 miles on Saturday, I'm running Leeds half a week on Sunday so just a few short runs next week to loosen up ... and a sports massage on Tuesday!

• Yes a 5 mile run tonight after a 6 mile walk nightnight

• Yep a total Rembrandt recovery for me as well! 

• Yup, felt loose enough so gave a go too, Nothing fast but it was mentally good to be "back in the saddle" and feel able slip between a few gears. The pressures off for a month or so now and miracaulously the niggles have gone with  it too.

I hope everyone else is feeling chuffed with their effort.... even if not with the crazy timing fiasco! Really enjoyed the crowd support, so being my local, I'll probably give it another crack next year.

• I agree that the results are poo. I tweeted the organiser on monday, got a reply that it should be resolved by end of the day and here we are on weds eve still waiting for proper results. Very unprofessional for a race of this size. I wouldnt mind if they released a statement saying the times were incorrect and they were working on them but they have just kept quiet. I am going to contact them again and see what they say again as it's not acceptable. I personally don't think they can sort it which is maybe why they are keeping quiet.

• I know Andrew....I do wonder how they are going to sort it.  The timings are automated (supposedly) when you cross those mats.  How are they going to back track and sort it all out now? I am now whizz kid, but I would be surprised if they could sort this now. 

Think how many thousands of runners were doing that race and how many have wrong times.  The slower ones might not have noticed or be bothered, but those experienced or faster ones are understandably miffed.

Like you say, if they just released a statement or some sort of compensation...say, half price race entry next year, or just something....not good, I must say.

Panda

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I've just checked the results and my time is also incorrect. 3hrs 49min when in fact I was 100miles north riding my bike in the wind and rain. I wouldn't mind but if I wasn't injured I would have been going for a sub3.  3:49 indeed!! image

• haaa!  This gets funnier by the minute!  I hope you have contacted them?!  a bloody farce!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Wonder if they'll send me a t-shirt? image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Although considering that I withdrew from the race weeks ago and transferred my entry to a triathlon in the summer they probably won't.  

• Did you defer to next year?

• Managed to get out for a 4 mile recovery run.  Very slow at 9.5 min miles and could feel the musceles still having a bit of slight soreness there but absolutely no Plantar, weird.  It's almost as if the marathon cleared it up.

Decided not to do an autumn marathon, will do a few halves instead I think and go for London/Manchester next spring or maybe two.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

RP, I transferred to Rhyl Triathlon in june (same organisers image). Can you feel the glamour? Hoping to be fit for a serious attempt at an autumn marathon, possibly Frankfurt and I might use my GFA for London next year. Can't wait.

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Managed to get out for a 4 mile recovery run.  Very slow at 9.5 min miles and could feel the musceles still having a bit of slight soreness there but absolutely no Plantar, weird.  It's almost as if the marathon cleared it up.

Decided not to do an autumn marathon, will do a few halves instead I think and go for London/Manchester next spring or maybe two.

Went out for my first run post-marathon this morning, had a Cross Train yesterday to loosen up and then did 8 miles this morning at a reasonable pace. Muscles that I didn't know I had were hurting a little but the post-marathon stiffness appears to have gone

I think that's a great plan SB and similar to mine in that I'll have the summer doing "fun running" and maintaining my regular mileage then step it up again in the autumn for a couple of halves and then do either Manchester or Blackpool next April and aim to get in under 4 hours by working out a strategy to work through the last 6 miles in terms of training and race tactics, which is where I went wrong this time

• Yesterday I appeared in the results but Martin Platt was still present with the same time and splits as me. Today Martin Platt has disappeared and my overall position has changed. All my times and splits look correct now (apart from I have no 20 mile split and I remember going over that mat)

• rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Managed to get out for a 4 mile recovery run.  Very slow at 9.5 min miles and could feel the musceles still having a bit of slight soreness there but absolutely no Plantar, weird.  It's almost as if the marathon cleared it up.

Went out for my first run post-marathon this morning, had a Cross Train yesterday to loosen up and then did 8 miles this morning at a reasonable pace. Muscles that I didn't know I had were hurting a little but the post-marathon stiffness appears to have gone

I think that's a great plan SB and similar to mine in that I'll have the summer doing "fun running" and maintaining my regular mileage then step it up again in the autumn for a couple of halves and then do either Manchester or Blackpool next April and aim to get in under 4 hours by working out a strategy to work through the last 6 miles in terms of training and race tactics, which is where I went wrong this time

Yeah, seems like a sensible and measured approach for us newbies eh?  Forgot about Blackpool, might consider it after the Manchester timing fiasco.  Nearly did Blackpool as my first marathon 2 years ago.  Paid for it but never actually got around to starting the training....

• SJ...Good luck with that....I hope they do the timings better than this fiasco!

Seems like everyone is making plans for next year!  Lots of good Spring marathons around...Edinburgh is a good one for a PB, and is a fab city.  I might look at doing that one (end of May) as well as Manchester....I want to do Paris as well though (start of April!)....I suppose I can't do them all, and might not even be able to do any, depending on how things go.  Ideally I would like to do a couple of Spring marathons to get me back to running (with no time goal) then train harder for an Autumn marathon to try and get under 4 hours if poss.

I have decided I am going to re join my old running club (haven't been for years) after baby number 2.  I got much faster while running with them, and it was good fun.  They have a track night once a week which interests me, as I am not usually disciplined to do speedwork on my own.  It's amazing what you can do when you are pushed.

LOL...Where did the elusive Martin Platt go, I wonderimage

PS....Is everyone on FB...if you want to be my "friend" its joanne Johnston.   (as it's nice to keep an eye on how people are doing when this thread dries up).

Right...off to walk dog in the sunimage

Panda

• The timimgs, splits and postions were all over the place for a while last year but (I think) got sorted in the end.  

• Slow n Steady Adri wrote (see)

Has anyone ventured out for a run yet since Sunday? image

6 miles Monday night and 12 miles last night.

I have an Ultra to run at the end of June, no rest for the wicked as they say.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Which Ultra are you running?

• 6 miles last night and I guess I'm running same Ultra Gramck24

• Been for a run round the reservoir today. 

I have signed up for the Woodhouse Challenge on Monday then an ultra at the end of May, so again no rest for the wicked. 

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Nice video here as a reminder of the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKB9nzmWkDM