London Marathon Ballot system is a joke.

12345679»

Comments

• Nayan.......

I only manage to  see one football match on TV and its some final in wembley......

I want to play a football match and I'm incensed that I'm not allowed to take part in the FA cup final next year.

some idiots just suggest that there are other football games i could play in........but this is the one i see on TV so I think i have a right to want to play in that one.....for so many people the FA cup is the only cup final .........its not fair 

• Literatin, I don't think all the women would get in. It's running at around 46%, bear in mind the charity route. They have no control of the sex of those people.

I suspect the ballot route is close to 50/50 split or maybe even weighted to create more of an even split after GFA and charity places.
  • Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)

But really it's just a fun run for anyone running slower than 2:10 and I suspect even the elites are selected rather than just allowed to run under GFA.

Really?!! Not sure the elite women would agree with you there... image

• Ha. You're being pedanticimage
  • This entire thread is about people's sense of entitlement.
  • Isn't London the British Club Championship?

If so it's hardly a carnival for many. How many other races in the country are there where a sub 3 won't even get you in the top 1000?
  • ...they are entitled to expect but not receive.
  • Well the odds are like 1 in 30 s strictly speaking They can only 'expect' if they have no understanding of numbers whatsoever.

It's s random ballot, but also stratified to reduce the odds of having huge bottlenecks due to having too many 5hr 'get me round' types. Get over it.
  • Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)

But really it's just a fun run for anyone running slower than 2:10 and I suspect even the elites are selected rather than just allowed to run under GFA.

Eh??

• Fight!
  • Phil the fun-runner!!!!

What does that make the rest of us?
  • Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)
    But really it's just a fun run for anyone running slower than 2:10  

Brendan? Is that you? image Love your commentaries.

• Millsy wrote (see)
    Phil the fun-runner!!!!

What does that make the rest of us?

I wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun!  image

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10900028_10153011943334595_4001897864416877001_o.jpg

• Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)
    I suspect even the elites are selected rather than just allowed to run under GFA. .

I don't really understand what this means. In what races are elites not selected according to special elite criteria? If you were a very high level runner who didn't quite meet the elite criteria, but you were resident in the UK or affiliated to UKA, you could just enter using one of the other routes. Like Paula this year - she didn't run as an elite, so she ran for her club in the championship.

• i imagine that to be elite you must run over such a speed.....maybe London doesnt want all the elites there......it would have to pay too much cash to them....so they select an elite few of the elites

• Yes. It wasn't a statement as much as a muse.

The elites are invited to run. I believe the championship start is after the ladies elites go. So even if you ran a faster chip time than an elite it wouldn't matter because the first 50 or so are placed on gun time.
  • I am not remotely elite, so I wouldn't know, but I imagine that they invite some elite athletes they want to take part, and that managers of other elite athletes who want to run get in touch and ask for a place, and if they have run a fast enough qualifying time recently enough, they let them have one. But they don't necessarily offer them an appearance fee, so they'd just be running to get a fast time or to compete for the prize money. So the element of selection would be who gets offered an appearance fee and who doesn't.

Tim, the elite ladies go an hour earlier. The championship start is just after the elite men, at the front of the mass race. They used to do the championship on gun time but changed it to chip time this year because they held the championship runners back for 10 seconds after the elite men had set off. For the ladies' championship they re-combine the elite ladies' and champs ladies' results, even though those groups are not running together.

• The marathon is non competitive for most of the people in it. Some might be time trialling to crack sub3h45min or whatever but they aren't racing as such.

Championship runners may well be competing for best running club or whatever team accolade. Or they might be racing each other, or age groupers. I wouldn't call them fun runners.

But yeah if it's just you and your farming vs your PB you are fun running. Nothing wrong with fun running mind you.
  • The GFA is heavily skewed in favour of women in the 'senior' category, although it tends to even out as you move up through the vet categories.
    I think when I looked at it last year a 30 year old man needs to hit about 70% age graded to qualify, its closer to 60% for a women of the same age.

That said I've done it enough times to apply every year but not worry too much if I don't get a place, although they should have retained the "5 rejects and your in" rule (or extend it to 7).

Galling the loss of club places though, we have ~550 members of which over 300 are seniors. We used to get 3, this year just 2.