Custom Made Orthotics


 I saw my physio today, who advised me to see a podiatrist and have some custom made orthotics.

My podiatrist has then advised me to have a biomechanic and gait assessment.

I was impressed with what he said, as it all seemed to relate to the pains i keep getting in my knee. But was not so impressed by the amount he quoted for the assessment and the orthotics (approx £500).

I have been wearing plastic insoles in my shoes from a local running shop which worked for a short while.

Just wondering whether you have any opinions - whether it is worth investing for the long run, or to keep buying insoles...?

 Thanks alot 


  • Terry

    I had problems with one knee caused by a falling arch on the opposite foot. A good osteopath sorted me out with a pair of customisable insoles for £40 plus 1/2 hrs consultantion fee. They cured the problem and have lasted nearly three years.

    Custom built ones they normally cost around £300 including assessment.

    If you live near an osteopath specialising in sports injuries it might be worth getting a second opinion.

  • Ask your GP if you can be referred to an NHS podiatrist. A sensible long sighted GP will realise that a pair of £14 insoles from them (after full gait assessment, with annual check ups) can save the NHS a fortune in the long run from knee-hip-back trouble that starts with feet. I have run three half marathons on my cheap as chips 'cobra' orthotics obtained via NHS. It pays them to keep you running as that should keep you fit

    good luck

  • Had custom made ones about 13 yrs ago.  Started to see a chiro regularly for back and knee pain who felt the orthotics weren't correct so saw a podiatrist that the chiro worked with and he felt they were incorrect too.  That said, nearly three years on and quite a few prescription changes I have to say its still on going and I find its quite difficult to find running shoes that accommodate and dont work against your orthotics these days shoes seem so hi tech.....cheesed off with it. 

Sign In or Register to comment.