Options

SDW100 2013

Comments

• Options

oh.. Hoka Stinson's for me

• Options

If anyone in the town centre wants to share a cab in the morning let me know, it was a bloody nightmare getting one last year so I'll book a week early this year

• Options

I really need to book somewhere or camp £71 for a room I'm going to leave at 4; 30  and not get much sleep in seems a bit steep. 

• Options

There was a moron way hotel for about forty quid Lingster, try booking.com it should show up in the search field

• Options

GKD, I was about to post the same thing, so I'm certainly in for a taxi share from the centre. I was thinking of registering in the morning, rather than the day before, so I giess we'd want to be there for 5?

• Options

Agreed Lingster on the cost. The 'Days Inn Winchester' is £45, which is about 6 miles away (and say £10 in a cab to the start line). My rational was for the sake of an extra £15, and given the feedback on the taxi situation from last year. I didn't want to risk unnecessary stress, and wanted to keep everything easy. 

• Options

I'm happy to taxi share, there will be two of us and I have yet to book accomodation. 

I can only consentrate on one thing at a time image..priority has been a hydration pack which has arrived this morning!

• Options

PS...I was eyeing up a chap's Hokas on Sunday (bumped into him out training on the SDW for the 100) but I'm thinking it might be a bit late in the day to get used to them?

Currently thinking road shoes for cushioning?  

• Options

Dips if it's dry road shoes will be fine

• Options

My current dilemma is what to wear for the night section, micro fleece, pertex gilet, wind shell, any ideas? 

• Options

I would suggest having a fully waterproof jacket available in case the worst happens. 

Beyond that, wear a long sleeved top and be prepared to add layers if necessary. 

• Options

Obviously it depends on the weather but last year I just went with a long sleeved Helly top and a montane wind proof gilet, no problems whatsoever 

• Options

Cheers chaps. I love my Helly Hansen long sleeve tops.

• Options

Thanks CC, I am a skinny mofo, so the wind does tend to go right through me, I think I'll carry my winter Helly long sleeve just in case, it's very light, but super toasty.

• Options

I did L2B in May last year and got really cold once it got dark so planning on an extra layer to add the long sleeve top and jacket I had then. Centurion have a rather nice women's jacket in their online store..tempted image

GKD..I've been wearing my road shoes up on the Downs for the last couple of weeks as the ground is quite hard now..kind of hoping it will stay that way!  It is however, quite rutted in places.

Oxon 40 for me on Saturday, anyone else giving it a whirl?

• Options

I guess it's horses for courses and it very much depends on how you as an individual run, I'm not a massive fan of running in hot weather as I tend to run quite hot anyway, I swept at the SDW 50 a few weeks ago and during theworst of the weather I was fine in shorts and a long sleeved top with a waterproof over, owever when I caught up with a lady who was borderline hypothermic and had to slow down to her pace it got very cold very quickly. In the end I had to bully her into running as she was in real danger of passing over into full hypothermia.

And there's the thing, if you know you run cold bring an extra layer, at worst it's a little more to carry but if you do slow down for any reason, be it injury or just running on empty, at lesat the weather won't play any further part in your deterioration 

• Options

Hotel booked at last went for the holiday inn in the end. Sharing a room so keeps the costs down.image I agree with GKD just carry an extra layer the weather can change quickly on the downs so better to have it and not use it than the other way around. Looking forward to this race now finally feeling ok after the tp100.  Bewl marathon and Three forts for me this weekend anyone else doing them ?

• Options

I know a few doing the Bewl/3 Forts combo Lingster...good luck, I think the forecast is good.

• Options

I've booked Holiday Inn too and also sharing so the cost was ok.

• Options

Three Forts for me, Lingster.  Hoping to actually finish this one!

• Options

Just done Oxon 40 (43) and died a thousand deaths, totally knocked my confidence to the point I am not sure I can do this 100. I was struggling around 10 miles which made the next 30+ very long and mentally painful.

• Options

Dips try not to worry about it, I did an overnight 50 mile recce last year about a month before the race and it was miserable,horrible experience that really knocked my confidence. Race day ow ever went fineapart from some navigational challenges, in fact I felt strong all the way to the finish line and could have kept going

• Options

Thanks GKD....feel slighty better in my head today. I was thrown but how knackered I felt so early in the race yesterday but reality tells me I was at the end of a hard block of training...hadn't really tapered in fact threw myself round a circuits class on Thursday  and have been full on since Brighton marathon!  Going to take an easy week this coming week and re-evaluate in a week's time.

• Options

I felt awful 12 miles into the sdw50. Too early to peak yet. Take an easy week, then build up in time to peak for the big one.

• Options

imageimage Thanks cragchick...I felt dreadful..then worst! image  Feeling much better in my head now..thank you

• Options

I really wouldn't be too concerned Dips, I doubt any of us here have gone into a race well trained rested and raring to go

• Options

Amen to that. I love all the posts in the week leading up to events, they're full of missed training, awful weather forecasts, injuries, illnesses, etc. As GKD says, very few of us say 'right, my training was perfect, I feel awesome, I couldn't have done any more, it's go-time.' I'm tempted to try that this time, but I fear the trail Gods would smite me.