RW/Pirate London Christmas Social

Comments

• Well I am always up for a beer or two even if its with a select fewimage

• maybe because fetch is cuddly.... and maybe thats why closed  FB groups like the RW works.....99% of the time everyone agrees with each other....a group of like minded people who do not disagree on any topics....

while on here if you start the conversation ...anyone can join in and maybe other people will disagree with your point of view....and maybe people do not want any confrontation.......just agreement...not debate just support......maybe people have enough arguments in their life that they only want agreemnet when on line

• TG2 - sometimes the more intimate gatherings turn out to be the best ones because people don't splinter off into smaller groups image

• Look what you ended up with Schmunks   image

• Why not post something on the beginners section or elsewhere.
    I saw this thread but didn't bother looking at it, why? because I don't really feel part of the RW community - the Meldy's KK's, Wilkies etc.
    I don't feel like I belong, I don't feel like the invite means me.  I don't feel like I'm part of the club as it were.

Forums have a life, people come and go. Most people don't stay for long. I read the avarage was 6 months.

You put 'pirate' and people feel excluded, I certainly do.The pub scenario keeps cropping up. Well if you walked into a pub and a group of old friends were chatting, would you sit down and join in with them or would you sit in a quiet corner somewhere (and wait to be introduced as it were)?

• There is a thread in Beginners ....

What would attract you ??

• Erm i have put it on the beginners section and with no mention of pirates

i have tried to make it inclusive
  • There must be some people interested the post has had 435 views,

so if you are lurking its not that scary we are on the most part normal except we like running and ok some drinkingimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Look what you ended up with Schmunks   image

I quite like what I ended up with image

• TG, I wouldn't be averse to a swift half somewhere somewhen... Having now read the thread twice, I am not sure that any dates were settled on.  Personally a working day is preferrable as I can combine the journey with work (only get to the big smoke once a fortnight on average since moving jobs) but value other peoples views on which day to do it.  Weekends tend to be family or training time................... ie not forum time. image

So, red wobbly jelly to celebrate Happy Chap's 21st on the 7th Dec thenimage

• good post T mouse........do you think there is a need on the forum for a big RW meet up or do you think now its more opf a case of smaller splinter groups with things in common will get together and arrange through their threads..............

it wouldbe nice to have a big social ...but mayb ethe majority on here would rather have smaller get togethers......we all want and get different things from the forum and thats fine...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think it is very much a clique and hard to get into - BUT once you know a few faces I think it becomes a lot friendly and easier to 'blend in'. I was in Chandos last year and knew noone except TP (because she spoke to me at Mile 17).... so somehow I ended up upstairs with the Fetchies because someone saw that I was bit lost and asked if I wanted to join them. Now, with having known a few more people - I think it'd be slightly different as I'd know who to look for?

Someone asked what it was about Fetch - I think it's a friendly community feel  but on and offline. I've ran with a few Fetchies at races and they ALL speak to each other and acknowledge each other. It's partly the kit (so they all recognise another Fetchie) but everyone seems inclusive.

• One of the reasons why I don't post 'outside my own thread' as kk puts it, is because whenever I find one that interests me it turns into a 'why is the forum so crap these days?' thread.

I would love to come to a London social if a date is agreed that I can commit to.  I have very fond memories of the one or two that I have been able to make it to.  But please stop telling me that I'm boring because I can't be bothered to listen to the same old arguements over and over again

Tommygun, please go ahead and promote the social.  I appreciate the effort you are going to and know how hard it is to come up with something that suits everyone

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    T.mouse wrote (see)

Why not post something on the beginners section or elsewhere.
    I saw this thread but didn't bother looking at it, why? because I don't really feel part of the RW community - the Meldy's KK's, Wilkies etc.
    I don't feel like I belong, I don't feel like the invite means me.  I don't feel like I'm part of the club as it were.

Forums have a life, people come and go. Most people don't stay for long. I read the avarage was 6 months.

You put 'pirate' and people feel excluded, I certainly do.The pub scenario keeps cropping up. Well if you walked into a pub and a group of old friends were chatting, would you sit down and join in with them or would you sit in a quiet corner somewhere (and wait to be introduced as it were)?

I turned up to my first social, several years ago, not knowing anyone. 

I bought myself a drink, stood around looking for people who looked like runners, and pushed past my inclination to turn tail and go home.

Someone came up to me and asked me if I was a runner, and then suddenly I was talking to a group of people.  The people who already knew each other welcomed me into the group.  Because at a social people are expecting new folk, and want them to join in.

I'm not a pirate, but don't feel that excludes me.  The pirates still talk to me (if only to try and convert me to tri!)

I overcame my natural reluctance to talk to strangers, and was very glad that I did.

You can't expect to feel/be part of a community/group if you don't make some effort yourself. 

• in t'old days - when this place was all fields etc - many of us had already met up at various races around the country so when the 1st socials came along, many of us already knew each other and that helped cut the ice easily.   others who did turn up not knowing anyone could feel a bit intimidated but most joined in easily.

one of the 1st socials back in 2004 was a Xmas lunch meet in Reading - meet up, have a run, have Sunday lunch and a few beers, go home - some of us who were at that are still in touch either on here or by other means.  many have become good friends.

for those who are interested in going, do so - it's a good way to meet others of a similar mind.  for some of us who have been there, got the t-shirts etc, it's perhaps not so important in our running life these days - we've moved on.

• So, ummmm... We going out then or what??

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I'll be there.
  • cool womble that make about four of us oh and my wife wants to come so thats 5 then sofar.

oh a date yes well what about Friday 14th December or sat 15th December.

Location might as well go to Doggets and Badge (or whatever its called)

• I should be able to make 14th or 15th December.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I would humbly suggest the Friday so people can come along after work. Even from the south west London suburbs there's a high chance of me suffering cba on a Saturday. I would of course be bringing a frog.
  • I'll come from south west suburbs too

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Womble wrote (see)
    I would humbly suggest the Friday so people can come along after work. Even from the south west London suburbs there's a high chance of me suffering cba on a Saturday.

I second that.  I don't do London on weekends.