General tips and advice

Comments

• Sounds like some good strength building going on Calum keep it up.. I finished the week just shy of 40 miles.. 

Slightly less than the previous week but had 3 x quality sessions this week as opposed to steady running all week.. This week should see me hit 43 ish... and for the next 12 weeks it wont be going much higher... 

Today I had my longest run I've ever done. What's the session Tuesday? 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Tuesday is 6 x 1000m @ 6:34-6:35 per mile pace with 90 sec recoveries.

Mileage shouldn't go up this week.  I'll be aiming to add 10 minutes or so to the Wednesday easy run and move up to 12 miles on the long run but the two hard sessions should come in slightly lower distance wise.

Last week was 8 x 1000m and 4 x 8 minutes @ threshold pace.  This week is 6 x 1000m and 3 x 10 minutes @ threshold pace.  The recovery run on Friday was also slightly longer than planned due to a miscalculation.

About 37-38 miles is plenty for me at the moment.  On a consistent basis, 30 mile weeks are probably the most I've done before.  I've had a couple of weeks here and there in the mid 30s, but upping it to 38 is a big enough step - not looking to increase until after the 10k race (when the focus will shift to HM at the end of May).

• Do you do the threshold running on the same day as the KM reps?

People respond to different mileage, I've done only a few weeks over 40 (7)

But once my program or even race is out the way I'll be increasing too -
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    No!!! Intervals Tuesday, threshold Thursday!!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Although - just had the Tuesday session this week upped slightly - aiming for 6 mins @ threshold, 60 sec recovery, then the 6 x 1000m reps, then 6 minutes @ threshold!!

johnas is working me hardimage
  • Ah I did think that Calum image

So you know johnas personally? Haven't seen him post anywhere for a bit?

Session sounds pretty beasty some nice volume!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    No - I just asked him for some advice and he's been very obliging! Everything suggested so far has been spot on.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Great session this morning.  Got a lunchtime meeting so got up and into work early and did the session pre-work.

6 minutes @ threshold session - 0.87 miles [6:58 pace]

Started the 1k interval and about halfway through noticed my Garmin hadn't started!  First rep must have been more like 1400-1500m!

So 6 x 1km (well 0.65 miles) - aiming for 6:34-6:35 pace:

1. 4:12.6 [6:29 pace]

2. 4:15.5 [6:33 pace]

3. 4:15.3 [6:33 pace]

4. 4.17.0 [6:35 pace]

5. 4.15.0 [6:32 pace]

6. 4.15.5 [6:33 pace]

Off 90 second recoveries.

Then 6 minutes @ threshold - 0.87 miles [6:57 pace]

Delighted with that workout - a good step up from the past couple of weeks and coped well.  Breathing out my @rse at the end of the 6th 1k rep, but still pushed onto hold the pace.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    So - completed another session on target yesterday. Did an easy 40 minutes on Wednesday then yesterday 3 x 10 minutes @ threshold pace. Aiming for 6:55-7:00 per mile pace.

1. 1.44 miles (6:56 per mile)

2. 1.43 miles (6:58 per mile)

3. 1.45 miles (6:55 per mile)

The headwind was beig a right pain especially on reps 1 and 2 so delighted to still hit the target paces. It was tough though. Recovery 30 minutes planned today then out for an easy 12 miles tomorrow.

Monthly total over 100 miles for February already. This is easily going to be my biggest month to date.
  • Nice running Calum - I faced headwind yesterday too but did ok.

Getting the miles up is a good thing - just don't do it to fast!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

So followed up the threshold session with 30 minutes recovery run on Friday then an easy 12 miles on Saturday - averaged 8:39 per mile, running by feel.  Quite pleased with that.

Weekly total came out at 38.72 miles so ever so slight increase on last week.

Up to 116 miles for February so far which I'm fairly sure will already be my highest ever month.  Probably looking at about 140ish for the month by the time Friday comes round.

In fact - just checked.  Biggest ever month in the past for me has been 90 miles.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Switched around a bit this week as I'm heading for the track on Friday after work to do the intervals session.

Threshold session today - 3 x 15 minutes @ threshold pace (6:55 - 7:00) off 90s recoveries:

1. 2.17 miles (6:56 per mile)

2. 2.15 miles (6:58 per mile)

3. 2.15 miles (6:58 per mile)

A full extra 15 minutes @ threshold  from last week's workout so chuffed to pull that one in on pace.

Next week?  3 x 20 minutes.  That will be interesting image

• Looks like you're really coming along nicely. Few more months of consistently high(ER) mileage should do even more!

Track (but on road) session for me tonight
  • 6 weeks is tight but hope PB works out! 

I'm pretty much on 100% to PB at Eastleigh, I just want to hit my target .. 

Good luck! I'm following

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

So, a few easy runs since the last update and on Friday after work I went for my first ever track session.

2 x 5x400m off 60 second recoveries (3:00 recovery between sets).  Aiming for 1:30.

1. 1:28.5

2. 1:30.1

3. 1:28.7

4. 1:29.6

5. 1:31.6

6. 1:27.4

7. 1:29.6

8. 1:27.1

9. 1:30.2

10. 1:28.7

Felt pretty good and definitely like there was more in the locker.  I was hoping to get back to the track this week for the intervals session which will be 3 x 5x400m off 60 seconds (3:00 between sets) aiming for about 1:27, but I'm just not going to be able to get along to the track this week so it will need to be done by Garmin on a pavement/cycle path.

February total - 142.68 miles.  Biggest by over 50 miles...

Last week's total was down on the previous two weeks to 34.13 miles due to cutting the long run shorter than planned on Saturday.  Probably a wise idea after two big weeks for me.  Feeling fresh at the start of this week.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Frank Mase wrote (see)

6 weeks is tight but hope PB works out! 

I'm pretty much on 100% to PB at Eastleigh, I just want to hit my target .. 

Good luck! I'm following

Cheers Frank.  It's not just 6 weeks - I had been on a different plan before this one, just not as good a plan...!  Things are going well so far - confident of a PB, and fairly confident of sub 41.  Sub 40?  Quietly confident/hopeful...  Will see how the next two weeks go.  The big session will be the 8 x 1km reps next week at sub 40 pace.  If I nail that session, I will be going for sub 40 on the day.

Best of luck at Eastleigh! image

• Looks like you are flying Calum and to feel fresh is brilliant, I cut a few miles off here and there last week too and it won't matter too much short term and it's better you nailed the quality session and felt good!

I have faith you'll nail that 8x1km session too! I dread the day I have that session! Been given some different material to pencil in but for after Eastleigh
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Just for fun, I'm looking back over some Garmin stats from 2012.

Pre-2012, I'd completed 4x 10k "races" and 1x HM - all charity affairs with next to no training.  In 2012, I signed myself up for the D33 Ultra (33 mile ultramarathon), Edinburgh marathon, Loch Ness Marathon and Petrofac Challenge (Balmoral multi-terrain hilly 15 miler) - total of 100ish miles - again, for charity.  My training for all of the above was absolutely laughable.

I only bought my Garmin after the D33, so don't have the training stats for that, but it was horrendous.

Got the Garmin the week after I think, so I have everything since the D33 going forward.

17 March - D33 (33 miles - 7:17:46 - VERY painful)

25 March - 20 mile cycle

21 April - 11.62 miles (10:30 per mile average)

29 April - Petrofac Challenge (15 miles - 2:22:32 - surprisingly not that bad)

2 May - 3.78 miles (7:44 per mile average)

5 May - 17.54 miles (9:51 per mile average)

13 May - 10 miles (10:40 per mile average)

20 May - 12 miles (9:33 per mile average)

27 May - Edinburgh Marathon (4:48:01)

WTF was I thinking??  I did a touch more in preparation for the Loch Ness Marathon in September, but really not much more.  No wonder those events hurt so much!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Unlike the previous post, some "proper" training today... image

Coach upped it slightly following on from last week's session going so well.

6 minutes @ threshold pace (aiming for 6:55 - 7:00 per mile), 2:00 recovery, then 3 sets of 4 x 400m (aiming for 1:27-1:28) off 60 sec recoveries (2:00 between sets).

Legs seem to be desperate to run quick the last couple of days - I was really reigning it in on the easy run yesterday and the threshold part of today's run was unintentionally quick - averaging 6:44 per mile.

400s were good, but wind, and slight incline on every second made it tough going.  The track is definitely far better for this sort of workout!

1. 1:26.1

2. 1:28.5

3. 1:27.9

4. 1:28.1

5. 1:27.3

6. 1:27.7

7. 1:28.7

8. 1:28.3

9. 1:25.4

10. 1:28.6

11. 1:28.1

12. 1:29.0

Another one in the bag...

3 x 20 minutes @ threshold off 90 second recoveries planned for Thursday.  I will NOT be running that quicker than 6:55 per mile, that's for sure!!!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

3 x 20 minutes off 90 second recoveries done.

1. 2.87 miles (6:58 per mile)

2. 2.87 miles (6:58 per mile)

3. 2.84 miles (7:02 per mile)

Aiming for 6:55 - 7:00 per mile, so happy with that.  My Garmin had died when I took it out of my bag so had to mess about with MapMyRun which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but as I couldn't programme intervals in, I had to record individual workouts - bit of a faff, but not too bad.

Off the back of a pretty heavy week so far (just shy of 30 miles now since Monday), so really happy to have pulled this one in on pace.  Easy running until Tuesday where I've got the BIG one - 8 x 1000m at sub 40 pace.  Confidence is high now... image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Was away last week, so not on the forum.  Since the previous update, some easy running as usual then the big 8 x 1km reps (followed by 5x200m reps).  Targeting 3:59 per 1km on the reps.  Couldn't get to the track so on the old railway line, every odd number rep was slightly uphill and the others slightly downhill.  3 of the uphill reps were 4:00, 4:01, 4:01, the rest were sub 4:00, so great to get that one done.  Was aiming for 36 secs on the 200s but couldn't find that sort of pace.  3 uphill were somewhere between 40-44 secs (!) and the 2 downhill about 38-39 secs.  Good session, but very stiff left calf muscle the day after (Wednesday).

Did no running on Wednesday, then trying to loosen up the calf with just 30 minutes of easy stuff on Thursday, but the calf was still very stiff on Friday, but not so bad on Saturday morning.  Managed 65 (well 67 total) minutes on Saturday, with 3 x 10 mins @ threshold pace in the middle - no issue with the calf when actually running, but stiffened up afterwards.  Was quite stiff yesterday still but woke up this morning and it's loosened off almost completely.

Will take today off again, then some easy stuff tomorrow, threshold on Wednesday, more easy with strides on Thursday, F Off, easy with strides on Saturday, then race day Sunday.

Confident of a big PB (current PB - 42:01), and there's definitely a chance of sub 40.  Not a flat course though and weather could play its part.  If it's windy, that could mess things up.  Will see!

• It looks like things have fallen nicely for both of us to hit some PBs come Sunday .

Well done on the improvement and good luck Sunday!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Cheers Scott - really pleased with the training.  Bit of a set back last week with the calf issue, but ran on it yesterday (3 x 10 mins threshold) and absolutely no issues.  No stiffness afterwards, so hopefully it's fine.  This week and most of last week have been very easy compared to the previous 5 or so weeks, so just need to hit the start line raring to go on Sunday.

It can't come quick enough!!

• It's easy to think of the bad days - but in reality you have had a solid block of good training (as I have too) so you're right! Bring on Sunday

I'll be moving things forward after Eastleigh increasing volume to assault a series of races through summer so will be good to see what I can do there
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hey Sunday, hurry the **** up would you?

• How did you get on Calum?! 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Weird one...

At the moment, I am being credited with 36:20 - 5th place...

i didnt run that!

What happened was that at 9k of a very tough hilly course with bags and bags of headwind I'd managed to pull myself back within touching distance of 40 minutes, passing the 9k marker at 36:21.  Shortly after that there was a marshalling / signing error and a group of us landed running straight on instead of turning the final corner.

I would have have gone through 10k in 40:19 according to my Garmin and probably slightly quicker than that with the final push at the end.  As it happened I crossed the line in 47:20 after an extra 1.5k or so.

as I was leaving some people were complaining about it and the race director got a group of us to write down our times.  I wrote down 36:20 @ 9k which was from memory (I was a. Second out).  Looks like he got them entered manually and i got credited with my 9k time instead of the predicted 10k time.  I assumed we'd need to at least show Garmin evidence before they'd even contemplate changing times.

Who knows if that will stand.  I don't really want that to my name but I really don't want 47:20 to my name.  I should just have DNF'd and asked for my money back!

• SO unlucky! I nearly didn't start today too! 

But well done on the time that looks good on tough hilly course

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Garioch 10k - Inverurie, Aberdeenshire - 23 May 2014

Others like a race report, so I'll put mine here as I remember it...

Got up on Sunday morning and there were hailstones coming down outside and it was very windy.  Brilliant.

Got to the venue in plenty of time, changed, did some static and dynamic stretches inside before venturing out into the cold.  Did some light jogging with strides for about 15 minutes or so and headed to the start line.  No target time signs, so no idea where to line up.  I just went fairly close to the front - about 3 or 4 rows back.  I recognised a handful of the very fast guys at the front but no idea what anyone round about me would do.

Set off, everyone at a blistering pace as per usual, but I stuck to my just below 4 minute km pace.  Pleased with myself for reigning that in early on.  Very easy first couple of km, first in just under 4:00 - was looking for the km marker, but there wasn't one - just spray painted on the road, so I missed the lap button by a second or so.  Second km in about 3:52 I think (but add a couple of seconds probably as I missed the first one).  Feeling very very comfortable at this stage - easing past loads of people who had obviously gone off too quickly.  I really wanted to draft in behind a group of runners but there wasn't a group going quick enough and the field was already stringing out.  I tailed a guy in a red vest for about 1.5k but he started to increase his pace so I didn't want to get caught up in that too early on as this pace is new territory for me.

By about 2k I was passing the guy in the red vest though and looking for the next group for shelter.  Everyone directly in front of me seemed to be going too slow as I was catching them and then in danger of tripping over them if I sat in behind, so I just continued to pass.

All I really remember from 2k to about 6k was that the sub 40 was slipping away due to the absolutely brutal relentless headwind for almost all of that 4k stretch.  I got passed by I think 1 guy, but was still passing others most of the way.  I passed 5k at about 20:40, so a very swift second half would have been required to pull in a sub 40.  Ploughed on, still going uphill into the headwind for the sixth km.

Then turned a corner and suddenly we were going downhill.  I'd been careful not to use too much energy battling the hills so had loads left in the tank.  Cranked it up a little for the 7th km, but then we were heading back uphill in on the 8th, so couldn't quite keep the momentum going.  I missed the marker for 8k, so I wasn't sure where I was until I got to 9k - 36:20.  I'd pulled back about a minute over the course of 4k and I was thinking a really quick final km and I could just about do it.  Regardless, it was going to be a decent performance on a tough course in tough conditions.

Then just after that I got sent the wrong way.  I didn't realise at first.  I did know where the finish line was, so I thought they'd changed the course, and was just waiting to turn that final corner to put in a spurt but didn't want to go too early.  I was flying at 9k and feeling good.

Then 40 minutes came and went and we still hadn't turned the corner.  I was disappointed but I knew we must be close to the finish line.  Then I saw my watch creeping to 41 minutes and couldn't understand why I was taking so long to run this last km - I felt like I was still going fairly quick and then I started to question if we'd gone the wrong way.  Then 42 minutes came round and even the PB was gone. It was about now that I realised we'd gone the wrong way and asked the guy in front of me how far we'd ran - 6.7 miles by this point.  I got a stitch just after talking to him and just gave up.  I stopped and walked for a bit until

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I stopped and walked for a bit until the stitch faded then jogged round the last wee bit until we joined the 46/47 minute 10k guys coming in to the finish.

Rubbish way to cap off what has been a great 6 or 7 weeks of training and a really solid performance from me on a tough day.  I'm pretty much over it now, but still disappointed to have nothing to show (on paper) for that performance other than a 47:20 10k!!!

Back on it shortly though.  No running yesterday due to stiff left calf and a bit of a cold coming on.  Calf was stiff when I got up this morning but the cold is shifting.  Calf feeling a good bit better now, so may go for a recovery run and see how it all feels.  Physio booked for Thursday in any case - will get the calf checked out.

Next race is the Clachnaben Hill Race - 13.6km beast of a race over some rough terrain.  Good strength building...

Going to hit Aberdeen Parkrun at the end of April too to put down my first 5km time (never raced 5k before).

Benromach 10k on 10th May - confident of going well under 40 minutes after Sunday's run.  It's supposed to be a flat course and hopefully there won't be a 20mph headwind for about half of the course... image