'The Challenge'

2»

Comments

• depends on your point of view really. to me that lot would be good fun . The hardest bit will be getting picked as that will depend on who the programme makers think will make the best tv not nescissarily who is the fittest. How about a program for people who haven't trained and prepared for these sort of tasks. Oh that would be called real life with people all over the world having to put up with worse hardships than anyone in these programmes will ever do. But that don't make good telly so it will never happen.
  • glad i didnt waste my brain power & ink to apply then :)
  • A few contradictions in that post AS... If it's about 'personnalities' then it's not about being the fittest, and vice versa.
    I don't quite know why there seems to be so much bitterness and pettiness in this thread, but these look to me like more than worthwile challenges... The Paris-Dakar is certainly out of my means (and way out of my league), and I regard the North face of the Eiger -or skiing to the North Pole- as a more than worthwhile challenge. Hell, how many of us have done it?
    As to Andrew's point about 'real' people... well, from what I can see that's what they are. Very fit real people...
    The point is, they're members of the public, and those sorts of challenges are often only open to outddors pursuits 'professionals'.
    I'm sorry, but Joe public would not attain the level of fitness required for these -and the technical ability- in the space of one year. From what I can see this is a very different ball park than running a 10K, a marathon, or a triathlon!!!

I'll shut up now, and go back to the FLM thread... Sorry for intruding...
  • Im looking forward to watching the prog

these people will have the chance of a lifetime
  • sorry you mis understood my post. there is no bitterness or pettiness at all as far as i am concerned. All I am saying is so what. These people may well have the time of their lives and good luck to them. But lets get it all in context. they do it as we all do our chosen 'thing' out of choice and in some cases, not mine I add, as a statement to others. It is not very different from blaine in the box with no food. Which in my opinion was an insult to the people who have to go without food. As for contradictions sorry you mis understood again. There are many people who could pass the fitness tests required, but as well as the fitness they will be looking for charactors, if two people are equal in the fitness tests then guess who will get in. Its a shame that in this world you cannot be critical without being accused of bitterness or jealousy. By real people I mean those who live with hardships as an everday fight for survival they have no choice. we have and that makes all the difference.
  • Yes well, sorry I misunderstood you AS.
    However, we all do our running out of choice here... Do you also consider that to be an insult to those people who have to run to school, or walk to work?
    I mean, if you are going to be critical of this challenge, then you'll also have to be critical of the whole leisure society, when leisure is a commodity people in the third world cannot afford. I could perfectly understand if you were, but then you shouldn't be training, going out, going on holidays... etc, in order not to be hypocritical.
    You are making a fair point though... I mean, contestants in the Paris-Dakar (I guess the same would apply to the marathon des sables and all the events abroad...) have been accused of 'flaunting their riches' in front of very poor people who could certainly use the money... We do live sheltered and very comfortable lives, and it's worth being reminded of it sometimes.
    However, the point of the tv programme -as I understand it; the final product remains to be seen- is perhaps to inspire ordinary people, and incite them to push the boundaries of what they think is achievable... If -alledgedly a very fit- Joe public can ski to the North Pole, then why couldn't I do more with my life, be it physical challenges or humanitarian causes.
    Lots of issues being raised here...
  • I am probably the worlds biggest sceptic, but the point of the programme is to attract viewers. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with people doing what they want with their time and money whether its a hedonist lifestyle or living like mother Teresa, good luck to them all. Its the way these things glamorise situations that I think is wrong.
  • I say do whatever you can with your life - you are a long time dead

If you feel strongly about something then act - if you realy want to do something and can, do it - and so on

I dont see what "situations are glamorise" by entertainment like this