What if I don't get in

I've applied for FLM through the ballot and having psyched myself up to train for it I intend to run another marathon if I don't get in.

So - all you experienced marathoners out there - I need to find an alternative, preferably shortly before FLM but possibly shortly after. All areas of Europe considered but UK would be best.....

I'll start the ball rolling with alternative number 1:

Paris

Comments

• I wouldn't consider any other than Paris as an alternative.
  • Turin
    Hamburg
  • Rotterdam April 4. I was going to do it this year but had to back out at the last minute. Know a few people who did it and they said it was great.
  • I know you said Europe but there is Boston on the 19th. Doesn't give much time to fly there after supporting the forumites at London though!
  • Lochaber
  • Shakespeare (Stratford upon Avon)?
  • Whens lochaber?
  • Taunton is a smaller scale event (!), as is Stratford.

Paris is the major alternative. No ballot to get in though. You will need a brief medical certificate, but checkout the thread on "events".
  • So now we've got

Connemara - March 28
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Lochaber - April 25

Bungay Black Dog - ?(late March or early April)
    Taunton - ?(early April)
    Shakespeare - ?(probably late April)
    Sheffield - ?(in June last year!)

Chaos - I somehow think Boston is a bit out of my league??? Other far-flung marathons without ridiculous qualifying times will be considered.....
  • I'd like to do Tresco but the problem is accomodation. You have to have accomodation to do the marathon and the place gets booked up quickly.
  • M. - ironman florida
  • andy - stop it. you've already got zilla talking about ironman florida - i think he may need to learn to swim first?!

and by the way i hear your 24hr track times were in RW this month....
  • yes i heard that but i haven't seen it yet... is my piccy in?? (number 30) (white cap or yellow bandana depending on whether it was day or night)
  • Ironman Florida is certainly an alternative. However I ran Taunton in 1997 when I didn't get in at London. It is a 2 loop race (combined with a half marathon) and you would describe the course as "undulating". The vast majority of runners do the half; so the second loop can be a fairly lonely affair (anyone who has run the Robin Hood marathon will know what I mean). It is nevertheless a well organised, friendly race but you will need to add 10 - 15 minutes to your target FLM time, perhaps more if you are a slower runner.
  • Ah
    I wondered if it was THE Andy Collier :-)
  • andy - don't know if your piccy was there - certainly didn't see it - just a picture of your results written up on a board.
  • The Paris Marathon is an excellent alternative, did it this year after being rejected from the FLM.

Considering the Rome Marathon on 28th March '04 as an option. Anyone ever done this?
  • loads of italians, i'd guess
  • Jossie, do you have to have accomodation on Tresco or is St Marys OK?
  • Two Oceans . Capetown thats where I'll be if I don't get into FLM. Ok so its a Ultra but not too much Ultra!
  • Thank you for your suggestion Dubai Dave (Capetown sounds lovely). Unfortunately as this will be my first marathon I don't feel like making it any harder than necessary!
  • You could try Lake Vyrnwy early June,flat,quick,2 lapper,breathtaking scenery,perfect really.
  • 26 laps of regents park?
  • You could carve out a career in light entertainment and bag a celebrity place :)

Wouldn't do Sheffield in June - too hot.

There was Leeds end of April / beginning of May. Tough I am told.
  • you could always forge a number and bandit run it
  • I´d consider Madrid marathon on 25th April 2004. It is well organized. There are volunteers who help you run at the pace you want to finish it. Compared to London´s it is not so big in number of participants but it is the largest in number of runners in Spain. Actually, 7969 got to the finish line last year. The people in the streets cheer a lot and the atmosphere is great. There´s even a group of runners belonging to a club called "Garabitas" who ask the runners who get tired to get on their "bus" so that they can feel better and enjoy the marathon a lot.
    More information in English at WWW.maratonmadrid.org
    Well, good luck, I hope you will be able to enter Flora London marathon but if you aren´t lucky, I´m sure you will enjoy Madrid marathon a lot if you choose it as an alternative.
    Antonio
  • An update.....

Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25

Taunton - ?(early April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)
    Lake Vyrnwy - ?(early June)

Looks like I should be able to find one to do then....
  • Ooops - I forgot Le Touquet

Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25

Taunton - ?(early April)
    Le Touquet - ?(mid April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)
    Lake Vyrnwy - ?(early June)