MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

My third this year and staying in Holiday Inn again image)) Just did PB in Manchester 3:44:15 so considering next target???

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

For anyone running Chester and planning on using P&D, or are interested in what the hell P&D actually is, there is a P&D Autumn Marathon thread in the training section and you'll get plenty of useful advice on there...

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- not sure how I am going to go about things this year- have used Pand D 80 regularly, but not sure this time.....

April stats? Tapering so.... 234.96m in 29.22.26 ( 7.30 av) image

Sun is shining here and my VLM recovery seems good, so made the most of it by rounding up some clubmates via FB for a sunny interval session on the track 6m in total with 5x 800s 2.40, 2.43, 2.43, 2.44, 2.44. Supposed to be off 90 sec recoveries, but a few were a bit longer- partly due to recovering from London no doubt, partly from running the first 400 at 5min pace! Oops! Lol! Still a good session in preparation for some short faster stuff in the next couple of months before the build up to Chester image

• thanks for the pointer 15west will check out this P&D training plan , need a fresh approach to training as things have become stale.

• Hi folks, I have missed a bit in here, but will try to catch up. Hi HeOw, iseem to remember you from last year...... I am running lichfield half on sunday, really looking forward to it, a few undulations, but apparently no great hills!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hi Jason...long time no hear/read/write...not sure what I'm doing either. May make up my own sort've with less mid week mileage, a weekly tempo run, and a bit more on the long runs....but, still not sure yet. At moment I am still in recovery mode from London so 5 or 6 mile runs 4 or 5 times a week....

• cybistridercybistrider ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just after a few thoughts/opinions. Had a few real disaster marathons you see so trying to learn as much as possible.

1) what is the longest run people do

2) whats the longest MP run.

also would it be a good idea to try doing 20mile at marathon pace to see if its a realistic target, sort of like a benchmark. How do others know what there marathon pace is.

Thanks in advance by the way.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Andy -

1). For VLM this year my longest run was 24mi, this is possibly OTT though and most people max at 22. I think important thing is to get 4 or 5 20+ milers in.

2) I followed P&D schedule (I increased the long runs by a mile or two) and my longest MP run was 20mile with 14 at MP. This was a tough session, 20mi at marathon pace would be even tougher and would need more recovery time etc.

I determined my marathon pace by setting my goal as a bit faster than my previous marathon...so I ran previous one in 2hr58 so set goal as sub 2.55 which is a 6.40 pace...thing is after all the training I was in better shape than expected and ended up running the marathon at ave 6.25 pace. So, you could either determine from a previous marathon or a previous half/10k/5k...and then determine what your realistic goal is and take it from there.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

andy- you need to balance the training stimulus with recovery- 20m at mp will take to long to recover from. My longest mp run is around 14 too. As for longest runs, usually 20-24 for me. I also fit in 1-2 medium long runs mid week ( a la P&D 80)

• I'm doing this, it will be my second marathon and doing it for a PB and more marathon experience!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Debbie- support in the villages is fab, as is the city itself. Out in the countryside between villages is quieter, but lots of fellow runners for mutual support image 

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I really want to do this but it's such a massive trek up from london and accomodation and train tickets are not cheap.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Khan- indeed.... i get the same issue with VLM every year! image

• cybistridercybistrider ✭✭✭
    ThanksJason, 15west

I did have a look at the fetcheveryone.com pace calculator but the predictions are just silly. Marathon goal time apparently is 2:32:44 based on my HM pb. 2:33:41 based on 10k pb and 2:36:51 based on 5k pb. Will have to think some more about this one.
  • SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    andy the deestrider wrote (see)
    Hi everyone, just after a few thoughts/opinions. Had a few real disaster marathons you see so trying to learn as much as possible.

1) what is the longest run people do

2) whats the longest MP run.

also would it be a good idea to try doing 20mile at marathon pace to see if its a realistic target, sort of like a benchmark. How do others know what there marathon pace is.
    Thanks in advance by the way.

I've only done three marathons so am a bit of a beginner, but I do know everyone is different.  However, since you asked:

(1) This time I used Pfitzinger & Douglas (P&D) up to 55 miles, which was hard for me, though I really enjoyed it.  I tended to convert the lactate threshold runs to tempo runs and to skip the strides as I don't know how to do them.  I suggest at least 6 x 20 mile long runs.  In fact I made one of these into 22 miles and one into 24 miles.  The extra miles over 20 are a huge boost to confidence.

(2) P&D doesn't suggest very long tempo runs, I think the longest is 14 miles (plus warm-up and cool-down).  I did a 20 mile race 6 weeks before the target marathon at tempo and felt fine, finishing strongly.

In the last last couple of weeks before the target marathon I ran (except for one interval run) at recovery heart rate, and was still just about running at tempo.  Again a huge boost to confidence.

(3) I agree setting a target is hard.  P&D uses heart-rate percentages and I am now a big fan of that.  

On the day I did the first half at tempo for my super-stretch goal.  I then did a 5 minute reverse split so was absolutely thrilled.

Next time will probably be a disaster, but for now I'm a big fan of P&D!  I also suggest lots of abs and core and lots of stretching, to help stave off injuries.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

SGB - I am currently in the process of reading P&D and it seens to make real sense the whole training plan. I have decided to give the up to 55 miles plan a go. As it's my first full marathon it will be a pb anyhow, but it would be great to not feel like I have died at the end image

Debbie it will be my first marathon as well, really looking forward to it. All the race reports suggest that it is a friendly well organised race with good support, so here's hoping.

Khanivore, completely understand where you are coming from re: cost, but managed to convince hubby that we it will be a mini holiday - albeit with me not being able to walk for few days after!

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lisa - Thanks. I hope you enjoy the training and the race. I haven't yet entered this, but hope to persuade my family!  I think if you follow P&D you should feel fine at the end. One point P&D make is that you have to be quite running quite a lot before even starting their 55 mile schedule!  I'm working my way back towards 35 miles a week after my last marathon, and hoping to avoid injury. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever felt fine at the end of a marathon.

SGB - enter first, then tell the family...that's what I've done! (haven't told them yet).

• I've never done that 15W.....! image **hangs head in shame**

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

So, any of you planned any half marathons (or other distances) this summer? I am thinking Warrington in September...but quite like to do one in mid/laet August and all I can find is Fleetwood, but ideally would like one a bit closer to home (Manchester).

• Lilleshall 10K on Sunday, Shrewsbury Half in June, RAF Shawbury 10K in July, Kenilworth Half in September - none of which are anywhere near Manchester!

• senor spamsenor spam ✭✭✭

afternoon all, i'm really hoping to enter this one too.  Your recent comments 15W and ACP made me laugh - the reason I haven't entered yet is because I'm trying to find the right time to tell the wife I'll be out training all summer!  Anyone got any top tips for selling the idea to your family?  I figure Chester is a lovely place to spend the morning in while your OH is out on the course, and it must be at it's best in early October.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Actually SS Chester is a nice place to spend a few hours..good shops etc., and kids activities and a kids race also.

With the training I don't know - it pisses my OH off a bit so I try and do it so doesn't affect them as much as poss...lunctimes during the week, early mornings etc etc. Dont' mention the training bit yet, start with the marathon, then enter, then mention that you will be out running for 10 to 20 hours a week....and err...good luck...

• senor spamsenor spam ✭✭✭

Thanks 15W - if I even throw in a decent hotel (last couple of times its been the Travelodge) and get the training quietly under way in the early hours / at lunchtime before making the announcement then how can she object image  You're right - key is to try and fit the training in when nobody's looking!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- another trip to Lake Vyrnwy in Sept for me image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

15W I don't expect to feel fine post marathon, would just like to finish not feeling like death image

My mileage per week is currently between 35-40 miles so hopefully the up to 55 mile plan will be manageable?

I have a few races lined up running London Bupa 10k at the end of May, Bewl 15 miler beginning of July and will probably run Henfield HM which is local to me in mid August. Must resist entering too many more though

• I know that this run in mainly flat but could someone please confirm if any what miles are the hills? I know that if there are hills they arent that hilly  image

• Hi joel, there is a a hill at about mile 24, which isn't pleasant,  but the crowfs will get you up it!