Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Just take it slow. They'll understand

• Options

Gotcha. I'm a kindred spirit

• Options

Am very excited having just booked to run Chester and booked the Mill Hotel so looked for a thread to follow to tell someone!  Did my first - the VLM - this April and got 4.34 which I was really pleased with but hoping to get that down to 4.20 with more training, less nerves and less weaving in amongst the crowds which never seemed to thin out.  Have missed the routine of a proper training schedule and long runs so pleased to be starting again.  See you all there!

• Options

Hi torquayrunner, looks like Mill hotel is going to taken over with runners.

• Options

Yes - hope they do a decent porridge( and then a blow out fry up on the Monday morning!)

• Options

I've just signed up for Chester image 

• Options

Welcome Keep Plodding on. Should be a good day

• Options

Thanks Steve. Yes I've heard good things about Chester (hence the signing up). Is this a PB course do you know?

• Options

KPO, yes its most defiantely a PB course (as its where I got mine last year image).

Its relatively flat, except for a short hill right at the very start, and then an 'interesting' little hill at about mile 24 but that's fairly short and has good support so not insurmountable.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

KPO- welcome aboard image PBs at Chester for me too in 2011 and 2012- coming back for the hat-trick! image

• Options

Cheers guys, that's good to hear. image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

can not wait for this great race   and also  doing Huddersfield marathon next April   this is no joke the race returns after many yearsimage

• Options

Well that didn't work, completed the 5k but calf now agony!!!

Physio booked for tuesday, at least Chester is still 20 weeks off but think the 5 mile I had booked for two weeks time is out image

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

I've been following this thread since Brighton (14 April).  I'm so impressed with the feedback that I've entered.  If I avoid injury, which has dashed earlier hopes of Autumn marathons, it'll be my 4th marathon.  It'll be my first at Chester.  

I come from the North West but moved South many years ago, so I'll be looking for hotels near the racecourse as I don't drive.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

SGB1953 I would look at booking a hotel room soonish, I booked a few weeks ago and even then a few hotels/B&B's had no availability.

Nelly - sorry to hear about your calf, but as you say Chester is still 20 weeks away and hopefully the physio will be able to get you back out running injury free.

Really looking forward to starting my training for this on 6th June image

• Options

Cheers Lisa, let's hope so.

It's only been 3 days and Mrs. P says I've turned into Mr. Grumpy already image

• Options

SGB1953- I booked the Mill Hotel only recently and then still had rooms - albeit not the cheapest I know. It is about 10 mins walk to the racecourse apparently - may take longer coming back!

Lisa123 - I am also itching to start the training programme - despite doing the same things each week anyway really - just makes it official to be on that road again and tick off the runs each time - am still enjoying the novelty of this marathon training lark!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

My 2 hour easy effort this morning saw me cover 16.2m (actually 2.00.01 = 7.24 av). 30 min recovery run laterimage all good building before "Chester Plan #3" beginsimage

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Nice pacing there jason. My easy 2 hour run in comparison covered just 12 miles - trying to focus on keeping HR below 70% which I acheived but struggled to keep pace below what I normally run at.

Which plans are we all following out of interest?  Me - P&D up to 55 mpw, I know that a few others are doing P&D also but the higher mileage plans.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lisa- I have used P and D in the past, not sure this time....

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

But it won't be radically different image

• Options

Last time I used a tweaked RW Improvers plan from one of the issues in 2012 - tweaked because the beginners seemed too easy - and that worked for me.  Am interested in the P&D one but can't justify spending out on another running book and not sure I can fit in 55 miles - but is that just at peak weeks? 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TR- it builds up to that image

I might do the 80-100 version of this: http://www.209events.com/file/253.pdf image

• Options

That is interesting - are all P&D plans based time rather than mileage?

Because that plan must assume a certain pace - and only has a long run of 3 hours, whereas I did 5 runs of 3-4 hours in training as I am obviously much slower.

Stil did 40-45 miles a week though. Did VLM in 4.34 and am hoping to go for 4.20 at least next time as I felt fine after that.  I suspect the P&D ones are for much faster times?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TR- that one wasn't a P&D one- they ARE mileage based and are for all paces image

• Options

Okay thanks  - I thought they were similar. Good luck with the 80-100 miles a week -  anyone who fits that in deserves a damn good time at Chester!

• Options

According to Google (no Garmin yet) I did 14.4 miles this morning in 2.40 but the mileage was probably less than that. Can't imagine doing 80-100 miles a week. That's dedication and time I don't have

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lisa123/ Torquayrunner - Thanks for the info about accommodation. 

On training, I used Pfitzinger & Douglas (P&D) up to 55 miles for the first time at Brighton 2013. I really liked it and intend to use it again. Ideally I'd step to the next level which is up to 70 miles per week. I probably won't as in the past I've been injury-prone and indeed have a couple of minor injuries at the moment. 

I think the P & D book is worth buying anyway, even though I'm at the slower end of their target readership. From memory the reviews on Amazon are very good so I'm not the only one who thinks so. It is for faster runners, or at least for those who are confident of finishing, and looking to improve their time. 

The schedules are based on distance, not time or speed. They are also based on heart rate bands, which I took some time to get used to, but I now think is a very good idea, because it helps prevent going too fast to much of the time. 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Got a promotional code for Sportsshoes.com but it ends TODAY for free delivery and 10% off: code is SP413PP. Just bought 2 pairs of Saucony jazz for 70 quid image